DSS #28 - Any of these ideas worth pursuing?

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
C & C appreciated. Thanks!

567675128_AJdD4-L.jpg

#2 - Lomo
567673391_ZDKsw-XL.jpg

#3 - Grunge
567670953_DawxV-XL.jpg

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I like #1.. I wonder if you could layer the bike into that one.:D:D:D

You might play with the crops on #1 too.. maybe up to the left light.. I don't know hard to visualize it.. I would have to see it.. This is a tough crop to deal with because of the slanted street...

Just gaga over that blue....

this is shot is packed full of character..nice ..thumb.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I like #1 for all the texture and color. #3 is good but it did not grab me like 1.
    I really like that old drugs sign up at the top I did not see it first but then it grabs your focus
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I like #1 a lot! The slanted street does nag at me a bit... if this is something you're going to reshoot, maybe putting a bike by that light post would make the slant less noticeable?

Great work!
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    I like your first one and I totally agree with trying to re-shoot it with a bike
    leaning on the wall, if possible rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Thanks for looking and commenting. thumb.gif

I like the idea of adding a bike to #1 and got all excited about Kat's idea of layering one into there. Even have another photo that may be suitable. Then I remembered what a pain in the neck it's going to layer it into there because I'd have a lot of cleanup work to do around the spokes. umph.gif

But #1 is an easy reshoot because it's not far from me.

All three shots were taken with a new ultra wide angle lens I'd just bought, a Tokina 12-24 DX II. I've never owned an ultra wide angle -- it's fun to shoot with one of those babies! I could never have taken #1 if I didn't have an ultra wide angle.
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Fantastic images! Can't wait to see what you decide on. clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited June 19, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Thanks for looking and commenting. thumb.gif

I like the idea of adding a bike to #1 and got all excited about Kat's idea of layering one into there. Even have another photo that may be suitable. Then I remembered what a pain in the neck it's going to layer it into there because I'd have a lot of cleanup work to do around the spokes. umph.gif

ewwwwwww.. I did not think of that.. spokes... total madness. that would be frustrating.. so ya gonna re-shoot?:D

Kat
    edited June 19, 2009
    ewwwwwww.. I did not think of that.. spokes... total madness. that would be frustrating.. so ya gonna re-shoot?:D

Kat

Yeah, I'll probably go ahead and do a reshoot. Probably will be easier. rolleyes1.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 19, 2009
    yes i like the wall one. When (if) you reshoot, you might concider squaring off more...like not have the windows on the left and try and crop out the pole on the right, so that the whole picture of door and windows on left are in a squared frame of the picture. (did that make sense?).

Anyway....I will also look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    edited June 19, 2009
    Well good luck with that Linda,, you always bring remarkable to the table girlie..:D

Kat

P.S> Kuddos to you for the nice shiny new super duper duper wide angle lens...:ivar:ivar:ivar:ivar not to mention you always manage to find the neatest places and events to shoot too...mwink.gif
  • amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    I really love the color in the first and the framing and character is nice. #3 I reallllllly like the editing job. Love the retro grungy look (but then again I just like that sort of edit sooo a bit biased towards that edit). The blue bike would look cool in the first! And I was thinking a red chiny bike would look really cool in the third instead of the blue one (dunno why I was thinking that). But as is I think #3 is my favorite.
    edited June 20, 2009
    Two new ones
    Thanks for commenting Joyce, Kat, and amp'd! I've got two new ones. I actually got some shots in when the sun was out! We've had nothing but rain and clouds here on the east coast FOR DAYS! umph.gif

#1 - What's Behind the Barn Door?

569084618_rmYtm-L.jpg

#2 - The Final Frontier
    569085242_NdmUN-L.jpg
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    #2 - The Final Frontier

I think the second of the new ones might be interesting. I'd like to know how you came up with it. The only nit on this one is that your shadows edges between light side and dark side of the planets are too sharp. There needs to be a smoother transition. Cool idea!
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    The Final Frontier is pretty cool. Very creative! One nit I have is the East/West edges of the green planet have been cut flat instead of following rest of the shape (curved).
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    #2 - The Final Frontier
    569085242_NdmUN-L.jpg

Wow, where did you find this one?!?

Well,... it's more about spheres than circles (I don't know about others opinion about this...)
    but its a GREAT one :) ! :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited June 20, 2009
    Better?
    Thanks, Tatiana, Kevin, and Allen! thumb.gif

I tried a different version with the planets cleaned up a bit (it turned out to be much easier than I thought :whew ) and I added a dash of color to the nebula thing near the center:

569256838_4nsFR-L.jpg

Kevin -- with the exception of the smaller planet, all the photos in the composite were taken of my granite countertops. The photo I used for the small planet was taken of the back side of a piece of raw amethyst.
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    I like "The New Frontier" alot! Before you fessed-up how you did it, I was going to ask you how far away you had to get to shoot that with a wide-angle (a few million light years maybe?). rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Makes me think of Gustav Holst's The Planets.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

567675128_AJdD4-M.jpg

this is really a great photograph....it has essence.

and it really fits the theme over over and over again...
    really kinda made me chuckle when i started thinking about it...

get ride of the reflection in the far left window of the car hood & lights(?) the other refections seem to belong IMO
    Aaron Nelson
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Kevin -- with the exception of the smaller planet, all the photos in the composite were taken of my granite countertops. The photo I used for the small planet was taken of the back side of a piece of raw amethyst.

Pretty cool and very ingenious! I'll have to keep that trick up my sleeve for use at a later date. Thanks!
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hi Linda...

I have to say that when I saw the barn I was immediately impressed, but as I studied it, the composition did not come through for me.. I am still liking your original gorgeous blue window scene..thumb.gif.

Now I like the space work too, and you amaze me on how you did that and even if you decide to go with another entry, I am putting in a request now asking pretty please.... >>> for a "how you did it" on the unofficial feedback thread after the competition.. It is cool.. However, I echo what photobug said in that it says spheres more than circle.. I am not sure if Kerry is ok with that or not.. I have wondered myself, because I have passed up a lot of shots wondering if a sphere counts.. It is amazingly creative though and pretty too... As far as the critique on that one, I think I will leave that to the Nasa Grinner in the bunch.. ha ha ha..rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Did you ever get a chance to reshoot the blue beauty?mwink.gif

Kat
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hi Linda...

I have to say that when I saw the barn I was immediately impressed, but as I studied it, the composition did not come through for me.. I still liking your original gorgeous blue window scene..thumb.gif.

Now I like the space work too, and you amaze me on how you did that and even if you decide to go with another entry, I am putting in a request now asking pretty please.... >>> for a "how you did it" on the unofficial feedback thread after the competition.. It is cool.. However, I echo what photobug said in that it says spheres more than circle.. I am not sure if Kerry is ok with that or not.. I have wondered myself, because I have passed up a lot of shots wondering if a sphere counts.. It is amazingly creative though and pretty too... As far as the critique on that one, I think I will leave that to the Nasa Grinner in the bunch.. ha ha ha..rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Kat
    Ok, just got back from dinner with my wife and saw Kat's post. Today was our 6-month wedding anniversary.

It really depends on how the judges interpret this. I guess you can look at it this way, any 3-D object captured in a photograph becomes 2-D because a photograph is a 2-D element. A sphere looking 3-D in a phtohraph is nothing more than an illusion, because in reality everything in a photograph is 2-D, hence a shpere in a photograph can be looked at as a circle.

Also, a perfect circle can only be found in the math books not in the real world which is where we shoot. The cross section of a bullet may appear to be a perfect circle, but in reallity it is not, there is always some error in there that makes it NOT a perfect circle, hence not a circle after all.

Again, if we go stricltly by the definition of what a true circle is, I don't think anybody's entry will be 100% qualified headscratch.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited June 21, 2009
    Works for me.....rolleyes1.gif.. in the end it's all 2 -D :D....

Congratulations on your anniversary Allen.. I hope that is was a beautiful evening for the both of you...iloveyou.gifthumb

Kat
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hi Linda...

I have to say that when I saw the barn I was immediately impressed, but as I studied it, the composition did not come through for me.. I am still liking your original gorgeous blue window scene..thumb.gif.

Kat

Nope. Did not get a chance to go and shoot the "blue beauty". It rained all day yesterday. :cry And there's more in the forecast for today and the rest of the week. The planets scene was my "rainy day project" yesterday. rolleyes1.gif

I still have another shot I'd like to try when then weather clears up. :D

As far as the sphere versus circle debate goes, you can look at it this way: a 3 dimensional cube is comprised of perfect squares so by that same train of thought a 3 dimensional sphere would be comprised of perfect circles. At least that's the way I was looking at it. ne_nau.gif
    edited June 21, 2009
    this is really a great photograph....it has essence.

and it really fits the theme over over and over again...
    really kinda made me chuckle when i started thinking about it...

get ride of the reflection in the far left window of the car hood & lights(?) the other refections seem to belong IMO

Thanks, Aaron! As soon as the rain stops I'll be trying a reshoot. :D
    edited June 21, 2009
    Ok, just got back from dinner with my wife and saw Kat's post. Today was our 6-month wedding anniversary.

Happy anniversary, Allen! :D
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    As far as the sphere versus circle debate goes, you can look at it this way: a 3 dimensional cube is comprised of perfect squares so by that same train of thought a 3 dimensional sphere would be comprised of perfect circles. At least that's the way I was looking at it. ne_nau.gif

I think themes are all about perspective...everybody's own perspective. I feel themes are valuable in that they guide you in a certain direction that you might not have thought of before. It's a great way to broaden your eyes and skills in every aspect of photography, and that's what I really like about these challenges.

But for me, I try to use the theme as a reference. A great shot is a great shot no matter what the theme is, and in the end you have to enter what you feel is your best work. Themes can't be and IMO aren't designed to be "black and white" (no pun intended). That would be kind of boring. I love seeing everybody's take on a theme. That's the other invaluable aspect of these challenges because that too broadens your own perspective. For me anyways, that's why I'm here.

So go with your perspective of the theme.

I like #1. It's a good composition and has a lot of astetics and detail. It's just a great shot that also secondarily fits the theme. On the other hand, I really like the final frontier as well. It's a really creative and eye-catching composition that also fits the theme but with a didn't perspective.

Well done on both!

Brian
    edited June 21, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    I think themes are all about perspective...everybody's own perspective. I feel themes are valuable in that they guide you in a certain direction that you might not have thought of before. It's a great way to broaden your eyes and skills in every aspect of photography, and that's what I really like about these challenges.

But for me, I try to use the theme as a reference. A great shot is a great shot no matter what the theme is, and in the end you have to enter what you feel is your best work. Themes can't be and IMO aren't designed to be "black and white" (no pun intended). That would be kind of boring. I love seeing everybody's take on a theme. That's the other invaluable aspect of these challenges because that too broadens your own perspective. For me anyways, that's why I'm here.

So go with your perspective of the theme.

I like #1. It's a good composition and has a lot of astetics and detail. It's just a great shot that also secondarily fits the theme. On the other hand, I really like the final frontier as well. It's a really creative and eye-catching composition that also fits the theme but with a didn't perspective.

Well done on both!

Brian

Thanks, Brian! thumb.gif
    edited June 21, 2009
    The weather cleared up!
    And I had a chance to get out a take a few shots.

#1 - The Redo (this is a composite - I'm afraid I'm not a very good "layer-masker")

570235489_J844M-L.jpg

#2 - New one
    570233851_hyiwM-L.jpg

#3 - New one
    570231626_U5ney-L.jpg
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Gee Linda, how are we supposed to pick?
    I have like the building from the first and I like this version. I like the woman and dog walking but I see what you mean about the layers.
    The second one is my other fav, probably because of the colors. I like photos that aren't too soft... except in certain cases. These have great color.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I love the final frontier not just for the images but the creativity in what the planets are made of. Such a cool idea that turned out awesome.

g