FINAL E-D-I-T-S >>> Need Votes

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thank you all for helping.. hopefully I did not make it worse, but I tried to apply all of the CC advice on that last thread. I need votes on which one you think is the strongest entry..

Here are (2) of the original "circles of coercion" for reference. The 1st deep DOF and the second shallow... are they better than the new edits?

Also, the last one is an original but some of you suggested to "stack" the bullets.. I tried and about 5 minutes into it, I gave up, they kept falling off, Ugh....

So I used a quick layers application from the original shot.. if you like it best, then I would put together another one more carefully.. I just threw this together for the post... I can do this with any of the originals if you liked them better than my gun re-shoot..

568802094_mSVEM-L.jpg

==

568802036_5zzFF-L.jpg

==

570601644_dFjpo-L.jpg

=========================================

ok, now here are the new edits based on all the advice.. I tried to liven up the composition.. Did I lose the impact by not shooting the barrel straight on?
==============================================

Shallow DOF (Grain) Black and White

570244740_FtHoH-L.jpg

========

Shallow DOF (Normal Steel) Black and White

570244906_DqWch-L.jpg

=============

Shallow DOF Color

570245087_7buHE-L.jpg

=================

Deep DOF High Contrast Black and White

570329301_npr7a-L.jpg

They are all (HDR) Thanks to Allen's help on method, I think I did better this time.. Thanks Allen..:thumb

===========================================

ok, Here are the 2 edits on the sunflower to liven it up some.. I have a black metal humming bird feeder hanger and I just simply re-shot it in front of the metal figure..

Sunflower Soft Diffusions - No title yet.. I am thinking of Circle of Nourishment OR Circle of Life, or something like that.. if you have ideas let me know..

I know in this one there are some background abberations, but they can be fixed.. I was too hard on those pixels with the blur and curves I think....:D

570583802_qze8N-L.jpg

===================================

Sunflower Sharp focus/contrast >> Again some background issues.. I am working on them, It happened when I tried to pull the shadows from the corners. I will probably bring in some layers to even it out..

570583979_4aEE9-L.jpg

Last but not least.. A shot from the day out.. This is all I could find Linda...within a 50 mile drive in the country, especially since I gave my word to steer clear of hay wheels..:D:D:D

No Title for it..yet.. so for now we will call it Sky Chief. > Just noticed that thing hanging from the roof.. oh. well.. I can clone that out..

570245902_nXmSU-L.jpg

============================================

Thats it.... for me... It has to be one of these.. I will not have time this week to reshoot... thank you for your help and votes..:lust

Kat

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009

Shallow DOF Color

570245087_7buHE-S.jpg

I knew you could pull this one off, girl! clap.gif The new crop is terrific on those pistol/bullet photos (aren't you glad I didn't say "shots" mwink.gif:D). I'm leaning toward the one in color. I think it brings out the textures and lighting the best.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I agree with Linda on the color version.

I also like number three in your original post.

g
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Wow Kat.....so many fantastic entry possibilities! clap.gifclap.gif

Let me analyze....
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I knew you could pull this one off, girl! clap.gif The new crop is terrific on those pistol/bullet photos (aren't you glad I didn't say "shots" mwink.gif:D). I'm leaning toward the one in color. I think it brings out the textures and lighting the best.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Shallow DOF Color

570245087_7buHE-S.jpg
    This is the one that made me say wow when looking through them. Glad to see I'm not alone.
    The color on this is beautiful.:D
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    out of the rugars, i liked the grainy shot most, but thats not the one that would get you votes imo.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Also, the last one is an original but some of you suggested to "stack" the bullets.. I tried and about 5 minutes into it, I gave up, they kept falling off, Ugh....

Do you have such a thing as "Blu-Tack"? I find it great to use tiny pieces to hold shiny things in position.

Oh, and my vote goes for this one,

570245087_7buHE-L.jpg

Tim
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Thanks for all the Support
    Wow,, just logged on to all this support.. Thank you....:D:D:D

Thank Goodness... I was able to please you guys with the new shots.. :whew
    Awesome..

I too favored the grain and silver, but had a feeling the HDR color would garner the votes, so correct call there Aaron...:D However, that's cool, because that one was my second favorite... So,, I am off to enter it... and will go with that one, unless I come back to the board in a few days and everyone unanimously votes against it, I will probably keep it.. I will keep an eye on the thread.

Now, I will have time to catch up on stuff this week around the home, and prowl the board looking at all of yours as they develop....:marlin

Thanks Guys and Good Luck on your entries too...:smoochthumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 22, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    Do you have such a thing as "Blu-Tack"? I find it great to use tiny pieces to hold shiny things in position.
    Tim

Thanks Tim.. Oh,, I think I have that stuff.. It is like a poster hanging putty. I pulled it out, and then got "The Look" from the husband.. He did not want me getting anything on the bullets or gun... so I tried to stack without it. It was hilarious, once I got 3 on top, they would push the bottom ones out of the way and all slide all over the place. If ya ever want to know if your house is actually truly level,, try stacking bullets on a table.. I think after about 5 minutes I cussed...haha..

Thanks for your votethumb.gif
    Kat
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    570245087_7buHE-L.jpg

I gotta agree Kat. I love this shot. Not only did you nail the perfect composition, but the HDR is superb! Finalist for sure! thumb.gifwings.gif

Brian
    edited June 22, 2009
    Thanks for dropping in Brian...and thank you for the vote... I am working on entering it, but I have to locate the HDR's..

I don't know how you keep the hundreds of shots from your stacking organized..

Any ideas there? When I do a shoot, it is often not just one idea.. then I also shoot the HDR for Shallow DOF and Deep DOF, by the time I get it on the computer, I have to take them ALL into PS and look at info to be able to tell which is which... a pain.. any easier way to separate the shots and keep them together? I am all ears..ear.gif

Kat
    edited June 22, 2009
    Thanks for dropping in Brian...and thank you for the vote... I am working on entering it, but I have to locate the HDR's..

I don't know how you keep the hundreds of shots from your stacking organized..

Any ideas there? When I do a shoot, it is often not just one idea.. then I also shoot the HDR for Shallow DOF and Deep DOF, by the time I get it on the computer, I have to take them ALL into PS and look at info to be able to tell which is which... a pain.. any easier way to separate the shots and keep them together? I am all ears..ear.gif

Kat

In Adobe Bridge if you select all of the shots that you are going to use in say an HDR then right-click, it'll bring up a menu, and click on Stack/Stack as Group. It will then only show the first shot and there will be a number in the top right (I think) (that's how many are in the group). Then just double-click on the number and it will show all of the shots in that group.

I also make a new folder inside the original and call it POST, and then inside that make sub-folders likes HDR, TIFF, JPGs, etc. Hope that helps.

As for in camera, if I am taking a series for HDR, the very first shot before the series I just hold a finger up and take a picture of it (like a marker). So one finger for the first series, then two fingers for the start of the second. That way I just have to look at the bridge to know where the series starts and what series they are.
    edited June 22, 2009
    As for in camera, if I am taking a series for HDR, the very first shot before the series I just hold a finger up and take a picture of it (like a marker). So one finger for the first series, then two fingers for the start of the second. That way I just have to look at the bridge to know where the series starts and what series they are.[/quote]

P-E-R-F-E-C-T.... clap.gifthat is the type of solution I was hoping for.. seems so simple, I cant believe I did not think of that.. Thanks Brian, that will make life easier.

Kat
    edited June 22, 2009
    Ya know, after looking at it in my smug gallery.. I am not favoring the small amount of blow out on the bullets..I am thinking of yanking out the 3rd or 4th highlight exposure from the HDR. So, I will work with that later this evening and post the rework,,, at least now, I have it narrowed down to this gun shot with this composition.... I am going with that,,, but I want to make sure it is polished..thumb.gif

Thanks Everyone for the Help..

Kat
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    A great idea and very well executed.

My vote would be for shallow DOF (Normal Steel) Black and White, but #3 of your originals is real eye catching also.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
    edited June 22, 2009
    Thanks Phil. I appreciate your input and you compliments.... I am working on one more version of the black and white steel without the blowout on the bullets. Be sure to check back later this evening or tomorrow if ya can.. thanks....... Katthumb.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Well I go along with the herd on this one.
    Only nit I have is that the guide or spring rod should have been turned so the grain would match the end of the slide:D but then it does not matter that much only a gun nut would notice.
    Beautiful Work Kat
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited June 22, 2009
    Chris,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what is a spring rod? oh boy... your gonna have to talk layman's to me here Chris.. please explain.. What would fix that?

Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Well I go along with the herd on this one.
    Only nit I have is that the guide or spring rod should have been turned so the grain would match the end of the slide:D but then it does not matter that much only a gun nut would notice.
    Beautiful Work Kat

The what? I'm curious too now... we talking top, bottom or side? we are talking about the gun, right?
    edited June 22, 2009
    DsrtVW is talking about the receiver rod. It's the "circle" under (or in the photo's case to the right) of the barrel. If you look closely, you will see that the "grain" isn't "horizontal". It sort of is at a 60 degree angle. I think what he is saying is he would like to see that grain horizontal. You can turn the rod when you strip the gun for cleaning.

IMO it's not that big of a deal and I didn't even notice until it was pointed out. He's right. Only a gun buff would probably notice it. Probably not worth a reshoot IMO.

Looks great as is Kat! thumb.gif

And tell your husband it's a sweet looking gun. Is it a 9mm or .380? I saw that the bullets are 9mm which fits a 9mm or a .380, but with the angle in the photos it looks like a .380. Sweet none-the-less!
    edited June 22, 2009
    ohhhhhhhhhhh.. ok... wow.. shows I don't know much about the intricacies...
    I did not even know I could turn that..

Thanks Brian.. it had me wondering.. I guess it isn't that big of a deal then,, just wanted to make sure..:D

Kat
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I am interested in seeing what "Deep DOF" would look like with some color like the shallow version
    edited June 22, 2009
    I thought the same thing...I am working on that... Trying to get it posted by this evening, if not then by tomorrow for sure... thanks..thumb.gifD Kat
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Yes Kat I was just giving you a hard time about that Please disregard comments from the peanut gallery
    You are doing better than me I have nothing yet.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited June 22, 2009
    Come on Chris.. I love it when people nit pick.. it helps to push me to do better..

I appreciate it and guess what? I already fixed it..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Will post that edit tonight.. almost finished with it..

----

Nothing yet huh? I guess the ghost town shoot did not work out? any other ideas yet? aside of your back up plan???
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Kat, as long as you are still working on refining your images I think it might be interesting to see the business end of one of the rounds stacked in the third original image as opposed to all primers. Just a thought that occurred to me after checking out your images a couple more times.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I tend to like the Shallow DOF color second version too.
    I am interested in seeing it with more DOF, not sure if it will hurt it tho.
    edited June 22, 2009
    HI Phil..

I wish you would have mentioned that a week ago.. That is an awesome idea......would have given me time to talk my husband into shooting one off and getting me a slug.

I am getting ready to post the new edits here within the next 30 minutes.. Let me know what you think of those please..

Kat
    edited June 22, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I tend to like the Shallow DOF color second version too.
    I am interested in seeing it with more DOF, not sure if it will hurt it tho.

Hey Sean.... Getting ready to post the deeper DOF's right now.. Check them out..thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Kat
    edited June 22, 2009
    Ok,, Final Polished Edits.. Need a Vote Please...
    ok,, I have decided to go with a Deeper DOF Version.. The reason is this:

Look at the Shallow DOF's.. and you will notice that the bullets in the background are blown out some and blend too much into the handle.. and I am not sure the judges will like the way they cannot tell what they are..

So, unless you strongly disagree with me, and I am all ears, then I am going with Deep DOF.. I hope you like the processes. I could not retrieve the same look as the colored Shallow DOF HDR that you guys originally liked because I took one of the HDR highlight files out to reduce the blowout and give it more detail..

which one is the strongest entry of these?

P.S> I fixed that grain Chris, what do yo think??

Kat

==============

Deep DOF Color

571417917_Jc2Mm-XL.jpg

====================

Deep DOF Black and White Steel

571418181_usdaX-XL.jpg

If you see any polishing mistakes that need cleaning up, please let me know..

Thanks,

Kat
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    The color one is beautiful -- in a dangerous way. Great control of color. clap.gifclap.gif