B. D.'s Framing Exercise: Post your results here

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Got meself a free weekend (darn flakes), so decided to take a shot at this. Since a live model was indisposed (see above:-) I stuck to a non-live one rolleyes1.gif
    Neither model, nor camera moved their anchor points. Camera was on a stand, and model... well, you can see for yourself:
    clap.gif ROFLaughing.gif!!wings.gif

Nikolai, you are a hoot! And you've actually done a pretty interesting job with the assignment. However...now go find a human being to photograph. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    This looks like loads of fun and learning. May I play to?
    I can probably do it this weekend but my shortest lens is 60mm unless I use a wide angle.

Peace, gail

Is there any other reading I need to do before I attempt this? in any other forum or thread?
    edited June 30, 2009
    This looks like loads of fun and learning. May I play to?
    I can probably do it this weekend but my shortest lens is 60mm unless I use a wide angle.

Peace, gail

Is there any other reading I need to do before I attempt this? in any other forum or thread?

Of course you can play - and everything you need to know should be in this thread, but to reiterate:

Fixed focal length - 60 for you.;-) Maximum of 12 feet from your subject - MAX. Once the subject positions her/himself he or she may not move his or her feet - unless the subject is sitting, in which case butt stays put, but feet and legs may move. You pick a spot from which to shoot, and once it's chosen you may not move your feet. Then shoot about 70 images making every conceivable use of the frame you can come up with. Post the best five.

Have fun!
    :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 30, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Of course you can play - and everything you need to know should be in this thread, but to reiterate:

Fixed focal length - 60 for you.;-) Maximum of 12 feet from your subject - MAX. Once the subject positions her/himself he or she may not move his or her feet - unless the subject is sitting, in which case butt stays put, but feet and legs may move. You pick a spot from which to shoot, and once it's chosen you may not move your feet. Then shoot about 70 images making every conceivable use of the frame you can come up with. Post the best five.

Have fun!
    :D

Oh thank you. Just want to make sure I understand...When you refer to framing you are saying to set up the shot the way you would want so you wouldn't have to crop and following the other rules?

gail
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    So here we go with take two. I must say, with no offense intended, that it really doesn't matter a whole lot what gets said in regards to these pictures I'm about to post. The truth is that I saw more, while taking these shots this evening, than I have ever seen before. That, my friends, is success. Excellent assignment B.D.

So enough of the gloating. Some of these, I'm sure, will be neither here nor there for many of you but I am extremely pleased with these, and many others, from tonight's attempt. I do hope you find pleasure in them, though.

All shots taken at 28mm (45mm for you full frame/film folks).

1:
    3677531078_f0824a3e4a_o.jpg

2:
    3676716373_97d5b2c974_o.jpg

3:
    3676716485_cec188cb01_o.jpg

4:
    3677531194_8fd5932381_o.jpg

5:
    3676716629_26ced50250_o.jpg
    Travis
    edited July 1, 2009
    Revived from page 2...

Is this thread dead then?
    Travis
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    No. Don't worry. I think a lot of us are working on our second or third tries!! Meanwhile, I'm sure that B.D. will drop by soon to comment on what you posted.

I think that there will be a lot of interesting discussion about this exercise before this thread dies.

fwiw, I think you did a marvelous job! But since I'm still struggling with fully understanding the exercise, my opinion isn't worth much!!

Really glad you learned from your efforts. I have found it quite a learning experience myself. A lot of it is mental, too. Making me think about my attitude toward photography. There is just too much in my head at this point for me to articulate my thoughtscoherently.

So hang in there.

This thread is not dead.

Va

Email
    edited July 2, 2009
    Thanks Virginia (Gina? Ginny?)! I guess it was just overlooked a bit there.
    Travis
    edited July 2, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks Virginia (Gina? Ginny?)! I guess it was just overlooked a bit there.

It wasn't overlooked at all - I'm just waiting for more posts and then I'll wade in. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 2, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    It wasn't overlooked at all - I'm just waiting for more posts and then I'll wade in. :D

Fair enough!
    Travis
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    This is my first photography exercise. I hope I followed the rules.
    I had a whole lot of fun and got a little dirty when flat on my back on the floor of the playground (feet planted in same spot thoughmwink.gif ).
    A word of thanks to my little sister, Andy, for being such a "anything goes" kind of model and who woke up way earlier than usual for a weekend.

No post op processing at all--used a couple of the built in camera "art filters" instead.

CC needed--I have a thick hide--no worries.

[IMG][/img]http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/photos/581695165_YgAjC-X2.jpg
    [IMG][/img]http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/photos/581695762_heuXU-X2.jpg
    [IMG][/img]http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/photos/581693717_pSKbc-X2.jpg
    [IMG][/img]http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/photos/581690702_cV7RJ-X2.jpg
    [IMG][/img]http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/photos/581685873_qZG6R-X2.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 4, 2009
    messed up
    Darn it!!!
    I just realized as I described the exercise to someone that I messed up.
    My model's rear is planted and she doesn't move from her spot, but she rotated everywhich way in the same spot--which means that she wasn't really planted in the same spot----AAARGH:bash
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 4, 2009
    Darn it!!!
    I just realized as I described the exercise to someone that I messed up.
    My model's rear is planted and she doesn't move from her spot, but she rotated everywhich way in the same spot--which means that she wasn't really planted in the same spot----AAARGH:bash

That is OKAY. As long as the butt stays planted, she can swivel! mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 4, 2009
    This is my first photography exercise. I hope I followed the rules.
    I had a whole lot of fun and got a little dirty when flat on my back on the floor of the playground (feet planted in same spot thoughmwink.gif ).
    A word of thanks to my little sister, Andy, for being such a "anything goes" kind of model and who woke up way earlier than usual for a weekend.

No post op processing at all--used a couple of the built in camera "art filters" instead.

CC needed--I have a thick hide--no worries.

NOTE TO EVERY ONE:

Do me a favor and "insert" these into your post, rather than linking - When I finally tackle all the submissions I'd like to be able to see them on one page.

Thanks!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 4, 2009
    second attempt to post pics properly
    I posted earlier with links (didn't know how to post actual pics)--did a little research and victory is mine. Second attempt.
    581690702_cV7RJ-XL.jpg

581693717_pSKbc-XL.jpg

581695165_YgAjC-XL.jpg

581695762_heuXU-XL.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 4, 2009
    ne_nau.gif Sorry D.B. Don't know what I did, but I somehow posted this before downloadng all 5 pics--this is the final one. Sheeeshne_nau.gif

581697544_CKYdu-XL.jpg.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 5, 2009
    ne_nau.gif Sorry D.B. Don't know what I did, but I somehow posted this before downloadng all 5 pics--this is the final one. Sheeeshne_nau.gif

581697544_CKYdu-XL.jpg.

Perfect! Thanks!

AND GET POSTING, FOLKS!!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    My attempt
    My wife, Victoria, was a willing subject. We were photographing at the UW Arboretum, and decided to take some time and try this exercise.

17-55 lens, kept at 55. No PP done, just uploaded from camera to LR, then uploaded to Smuggy. Not an easy exercise, probably need to start thinking about my 2nd try... :D

582712887_sVRDp-M.jpg

582706256_i4MNb-M.jpg

582707525_3iwZg-M.jpg

582708228_jmM3W-M.jpg

582709013_dMwBp-M.jpg
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Ok, take 2. Still not sure I've quite nailed this (and the in-house model has been busy and/or increasinggly less interested in helping me out so it's been tricky to try it out again), but we managed another go-round this afternoon.

This time I put her on the deck and me on the ground just to see what would happen with my vantage point starting out below her. The dog wandered onto the deck at one point and I was dying to include him for background interest (since, BD, it seems one of your hints was that even though photog and subject couldn't move **things around them could**) but, alas, we could'nt get him to join us without moving our feet!!!

Lens was my Tamron 17-50 set at 35 to mimic ~35mm=equiv 50mm focal length

Pretty much SOOC except to convert

In any case:

1 Here's how we started out
    582847637_eepWm-M.jpg

2 sitting

582847665_Gq5Uu-M.jpg

3 Her leaning way out to her left, and me twisting hard to my right to get a different BG
    582847790_S29My-M.jpg

4 Three variations on the steps
    582847816_GcWTG-M.jpg

5 Probably my favorite - she'd started enjoying herself by then, the catchlights are nice, and I like both the comp and the tilt
    582847769_Jp5S2-M.jpg

6 Both of us leaning waaayyy in (there was a better-*framed* one of these - much better - but I missed the focus point and it's unsalvageably OOF)
    582847727_Vy5Zn-M.jpg

Edited to add: yes, her feet DID stay put for those last three shots - didn't move 'em!

Any closer?
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    In the Alley
    Nick, another out-of-towner, was my good natured willing subject for two tries at the exercise this weekend.

The first, done on July 4th, turned out not to qualify when the zoom lens I had gaffer taped at 28mm on my 40D turned out to be taking at 55mm (88mm on a full frame). Well darn. (You'd think I might have noticed.)

Last evening, we gave it one more try. I was more careful taping my 24-55 zoom lens at 28 mm where it did stay. (Interestingly, the EXIF shows that some are taken at 28mm and others at 31.5mm - fortunately still within the criteria.)

I put Nick on some stairs behind what used to be the Exeter Street Theater (before that a Spiritualist Temple). I placed myself with one foot on each of the bottom two stairs within less than 12 feet of my subject.

I discovered that I could be sure to have Nick's head in the frame when taking with the camera over my head if I asked him to tell me when he could see himself in the lens. As a result, only one pic of the series has part of the head unintentionally chopped off.

I won't bore with how tired and uninspired I was last evening or with how difficult this exercise continues to be for me, even though this is actually my 4th try.

583495704_KdoCS-L.jpg

2. Shooting with one hand let me use the other to swing closer to Nick while holding on to a railing.

583498016_CxECu-L.jpg

583500035_XhkSL-L.jpg

583502313_KCQsf-L.jpg

583504378_SQL2x-L.jpg

Thank you Nick!! You were a trooper.

Virginia

Email
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    583583563_Q4Lts-L.jpg

583584763_rs9j9-XL.jpg

583585854_bfADc-L.jpg

583587130_APgRg-XL.jpg

583600333_BR3qy-XL.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited July 7, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Nick, another out-of-towner, was my good natured willing subject for two tries at the exercise this weekend.

The first, done on July 4th, turned out not to qualify when the zoom lens I had gaffer taped at 28mm on my 40D turned out to be taking at 55mm (88mm on a full frame). Well darn. (You'd think I might have noticed.)

Last evening, we gave it one more try. I was more careful taping my 24-55 zoom lens at 28 mm where it did stay. (Interestingly, the EXIF shows that some are taken at 28mm and others at 31.5mm - fortunately still within the criteria.)

I put Nick on some stairs behind what used to be the Exeter Street Theater (before that a Spiritualist Temple). I placed myself with one foot on each of the bottom two stairs within less than 12 feet of my subject.

I discovered that I could be sure to have Nick's head in the frame when taking with the camera over my head if I asked him to tell me when he could see himself in the lens. As a result, only one pic of the series has part of the head unintentionally chopped off.

I won't bore with how tired and uninspired I was last evening or with how difficult this exercise continues to be for me, even though this is actually my 4th try.

Virginia

Much, much, much better than the first attempt - but you knew that, right?:D You really seemed to be thinking about what you were doing here, and it particularly paid off with the last two. The fourth one is quite a nice informal portrait, though I think you choose a slightly odd place to cut off his arms. And I like what you did with the last one, in terms of the angle you shot from...

Now...what you should have done is taken Nick to the Public Garden, shot him in the way you did, but you then would have had all the passersby and background motion to work with in the frame. mwink.gif

At thing point, before moving on to comment on other people's shoots, I'll tell all of you about the two best jobs I've ever seen done with this assignment:

In the first, the student took his wife down into the Kendal Square/MIT T stop, positioned her on the platform, and shot her as trains came and went, and passengers walked by and on and off the trains;

The other was shot by a woman who took her teenager out into the yard, put him on a tire swing, and shot him swinging - his butt never moved.clap.gifrolleyes1.gif

Okay - on to the next one....
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 7, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    583583563_Q4Lts-L.jpg

Really static, Rutt. This is more an informal portrait session than a framing exercise. That said, three and four are interesting images, three particularly. But what I find somewhat puzzling is that you don't seem to have tried to get around your subject to shoot from either side, or really from above or below. But again, I like that one in which she's looking out the window...

I think you need some more of this...:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I think you need some more of this...:D

Yeah, I know. I squeezed this one in.
    If not now, when?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Now...what you should have done is taken Nick to the Public Garden, shot him in the way you did, but you then would have had all the passersby and background motion to work with in the frame. mwink.gif

At thing point, before moving on to comment on other people's shoots, I'll tell all of you about the two best jobs I've ever seen done with this assignment:

In the first, the student took his wife down into the Kendal Square/MIT T stop, positioned her on the platform, and shot her as trains came and went, and passengers walked by and on and off the trains;

The other was shot by a woman who took her teenager out into the yard, put him on a tire swing, and shot him swinging - his butt never moved.clap.gifrolleyes1.gif

Okay - on to the next one....

AHA! So I DID pick up on your hint correctly! (go me :D) I thought that's what you meant when you first said that Virginia had done something particularly clever in her first batch (passersby and boats in background), and then when you posted your own two examples I was almost sure of it.

I sooo wanted the dog to wander in and out of ours, but alas he wasn't having any. He's old, poor-sighted and somewhat deaf, so we couldn't figure out how to get him to wander through the shoot without moving ourselves!
    edited July 8, 2009
    I have to apologize for not having any work to submit for this exercise. (unless it runs a while longer)
    I can't seem to find anyone willing to pose for me but might have on Friday.
    In the meantime I am certainly enjoying everyone else's homework.

gail
    edited July 8, 2009
    I have to apologize for not having any work to submit for this exercise. (unless it runs a while longer)
    I can't seem to find anyone willing to pose for me but might have on Friday.
    In the meantime I am certainly enjoying everyone else's homework.

gail
    By all means do it Friday. This is about the work, not the deadlines - that's what's great about this 'school' - it's about learning principles, not being chastised by principals! rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 8, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    By all means do it Friday. This is about the work, not the deadlines - that's what's great about this 'school' - it's about learning principles, not being chastised by principals! rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif

Whew!!!, thank you so much.
    edited July 8, 2009
    Ken Lapp wrote:
    My wife, Victoria, was a willing subject. We were photographing at the UW Arboretum, and decided to take some time and try this exercise.

17-55 lens, kept at 55. No PP done, just uploaded from camera to LR, then uploaded to Smuggy. Not an easy exercise, probably need to start thinking about my 2nd try... :D

582712887_sVRDp-M.jpg

582706256_i4MNb-M.jpg

582707525_3iwZg-M.jpg

582708228_jmM3W-M.jpg

582709013_dMwBp-M.jpg

It looks like the two of you had fun, Ken...I like the idea of the subject shooting you. What it seems to me is missing here, and I'm seeing this with most of the offerings - not just yours - is the fact that the shooters have taken so little advantage of their own arms. People don't seem to me moving the cameras around to left or right, raising them up overhead. Instead, people are simply shooting verticals and horizontals, and shifting the angle to left and right. Interesting.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 8, 2009
    I posted earlier with links (didn't know how to post actual pics)--did a little research and victory is mine. Second attempt.
    581690702_cV7RJ-XL.jpg

581693717_pSKbc-XL.jpg

581695165_YgAjC-XL.jpg

581695762_heuXU-XL.jpg

I like the fact that you shot closemwink.gif, but given the fact that you were obviously close, why you didn't work to position the camera even closer on some of the shots. The third shot is an interesting view and pose, but unfortunately there's a tree growing out of the young lady's head. 'Wait!' someone will say - 'isn't this a framing exercise?! If we were really shooting, we wouldn't have trees growing out of heads.'

Yes, it is a framing exercise - and the tree is in the frame - growing out of the subject's head.

Remember - the point of this exercise is to get you to think about the frame every time you shoot. One of the drawbacks of the DSLR - and the film SLR before it - is that it forces you to look through a tunnel at your subject. And that in turn often causes us to focus so intently on the subject that we cease seeing everything else in the frame. But what makes a photograph more than a snap shot is the integration of the subject and background, the use of everything within the frame.

Here's an idea...Get yourselves a small piece of clear plastic - say 4x5, or 3x5. Take a grease pencil or marker and draw a frame, roughly 3x2 - wide/high - on the sheet. Then for a few days, walk around with it in your pocket and use it to "take pictures." When you see something worth photographing, hold the sheet up to your eye, and frame the photo. And also make yourself think about what's outside the frame lines, and whether you want to move those lines to include it.

I guarantee that if you do that, and maybe do it on an occasionally 'regular' basis, it will improve your photography. :ivar
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com