B. D.'s Framing Exercise: Post your results here

13»

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Ok, take 2. Still not sure I've quite nailed this (and the in-house model has been busy and/or increasinggly less interested in helping me out so it's been tricky to try it out again), but we managed another go-round this afternoon.

This time I put her on the deck and me on the ground just to see what would happen with my vantage point starting out below her. The dog wandered onto the deck at one point and I was dying to include him for background interest (since, BD, it seems one of your hints was that even though photog and subject couldn't move **things around them could**) but, alas, we could'nt get him to join us without moving our feet!!!

Lens was my Tamron 17-50 set at 35 to mimic ~35mm=equiv 50mm focal length

Pretty much SOOC except to convert

In any case:

1 Here's how we started out
    582847637_eepWm-M.jpg

2 sitting

582847665_Gq5Uu-M.jpg

3 Her leaning way out to her left, and me twisting hard to my right to get a different BG
    582847790_S29My-M.jpg

4 Three variations on the steps
    582847816_GcWTG-M.jpg

5 Probably my favorite - she'd started enjoying herself by then, the catchlights are nice, and I like both the comp and the tilt
    582847769_Jp5S2-M.jpg

6 Both of us leaning waaayyy in (there was a better-*framed* one of these - much better - but I missed the focus point and it's unsalvageably OOF)
    582847727_Vy5Zn-M.jpg

Edited to add: yes, her feet DID stay put for those last three shots - didn't move 'em!

Any closer?

Nice, particularly the last two. You got close, and you managed to move around at least a bit. You ended up with a couple of images that are interesting. And you weren't afraid to get in your model's face - which is particularly impressive given that she's a Diva and you're her Mum!wings.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited July 8, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    So here we go with take two. I must say, with no offense intended, that it really doesn't matter a whole lot what gets said in regards to these pictures I'm about to post. The truth is that I saw more, while taking these shots this evening, than I have ever seen before. That, my friends, is success. Excellent assignment B.D.

So enough of the gloating. Some of these, I'm sure, will be neither here nor there for many of you but I am extremely pleased with these, and many others, from tonight's attempt. I do hope you find pleasure in them, though.

All shots taken at 28mm (45mm for you full frame/film folks).

1:
    3677531078_f0824a3e4a_o.jpg

2:
    3676716373_97d5b2c974_o.jpg

3:
    3676716485_cec188cb01_o.jpg

4:
    3677531194_8fd5932381_o.jpg

5:
    3676716629_26ced50250_o.jpg

Is this your last offering on this? Or is more coming?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Is this your last offering on this? Or is more coming?

This will probably be my last offering within a reasonable time frame. I think my model has had enough for a while. rolleyes1.gif I'd love to hear what you have to say about them.
    Travis
    edited July 8, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    This will probably be my last offering within a reasonable time frame. I think my model has had enough for a while. rolleyes1.gif I'd love to hear what you have to say about them.

Fair enough...
    ...This is an interesting batch of images. Let's ignore the fact that your point-of-focus is waaay off in the first one...You've gotten closewings.gif , and you've shot in some interesting ways, paying attention to what was - or wasn't - around your subject. The last image stands on its own, this exercise aside. The pensive expression, and use of the oof trees in the background, create a very strong environmental portrait. Nice work.:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    ... Let's ignore the fact that your point-of-focus is waaay off in the first one...
    Shhhh, you're not supposed to mention that! I really wanted that shot when I saw it so I did what any sane person would do -- snapped a couple with my camera on the ground and moved on. thumb.gif Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed when I got home. But I felt as though, since it was a framing exercise, I'd include it in the batch anyway.
    bdcolen wrote:
    ...This is an interesting batch of images... ...You've gotten closewings.gif , and you've shot in some interesting ways, paying attention to what was - or wasn't - around your subject.
    I'm glad the effort paid off. I purposely stood her about two feet in front of me so I had no choice but to move around her in order to frame different shots. This exercise has been incredibly revealing and, as soon as she or someone else is willing to try again, I'll be giving it another go. Out of 65 images I took on the second try, there were about 15 that I had a very difficult time choosing 5 from. That's the best success I've had thus far.
    The last image stands on its own, this exercise aside. The pensive expression, and use of the oof trees in the background, create a very strong environmental portrait. Nice work.:D
    Thanks! I knew this would be a good one from the time I clicked the shutter. This exercise is certainly a confidence builder!
    Travis
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    B.D.

Thanks for your CC.
    I will try your plastic frame exercise to get myself accustomed to framing properly and do my best not to have my subjects wearing horticultural headgear.

If you don't mind I'd like to give this another go as well.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 8, 2009
    jethibod wrote:
    I'm pretty excited about this - what a great learning opportunity!! I don't post much, but I lurk...a lot...and I'm always itching to post some stuff. But I get that 'I'm not sure about these shots' feeling that Divamum mentioned, and I stall...

So today, I asked my awesome husband to help me out in the backyard, since we didn't get the chance to go the 'prime' spot I had thought of. (ah well...maybe next time...) I think the technical side of things may not be perfect, but I was trying to be quick-ish - don't want to lose my model! mwink.gif

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

You shot high, you shot low. But when all was said and done, you kept shooting the same shot...until the end. And then you did something more with the frame, and got an interesting shot. Nice.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 8, 2009
    Well since we get to choose focal length and aperture, I decided to go for my favorite... f2.8 200mm... Of course it results in some yummy bokeh.

Gracie was bribed with lipstick (Which worked out nicely for both of us, mwink.gif since it looked so cute with her outfit.) She put sunglasses, & glasses with clear lenses in her purse before we began and halfway through she threw her sweater out of the frame. It worked out well for some nice variety.

Funny thing... I noticed when I went back over these for some reason ithe focal length changes when you turn to landscape... I don't have a clue why. Portrait was 195mm and landscape was 200mm according to metadata. But I swear I didn't change it. ne_nau.gif

573171410_UX8ac-L.jpg

573156217_FAAM4-M.jpg

573163042_E2Ypj-M.jpg

573151903_yN4Sz-L.jpg

573179752_5UPRT-L.jpg

Here is the link to the gallery. There are about 50 of what I would consider fairly close to cute enough to hang on the wall. What a terrible problem for a mom to have, huh. To many photos, and not enough wall space. Ha ha!

http://www.ambiencephotographyalaska.com/gallery/8676829_zMwNw/1/573179752_5UPRT

These are lovely - but they look as though they were shot with a 200. I'd love to see you try this with the same subject and a 35 mm lens. From about 6 to 10 feet away....
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 8, 2009
    B.D.

Thanks for your CC.
    I will try your plastic frame exercise to get myself accustomed to framing properly and do my best not to have my subjects wearing horticultural headgear.

If you don't mind I'd like to give this another go as well.

By all means, do!clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 8, 2009
    Second attempt - framing.
    bdcolen wrote:
    By all means, do!clap.gif

Ok I got another person to lend me a hand by posing for me, my other sister, Michelle.
    I know the exercise called for one model, but as you can see, the
    little one refused to be put down. My sister is the main model and
    Ella is her um accesory:D Hope it works--I did follow the rules and didn't move my feet and she kept her rear planted.

Quick confession--yes I used Auto mode--still learning the camera and wanted to concentrate on the framing exercise and worked on the framing only.
    If you are wondering how I got the far off shots and the close up shots without using my zoom--I had my mom give me a hand (literally)--I leaned in and when I couldn't lean in anymore she held me by the back of the shirt so I wouldn't tip over.

Thank you Michelle and Ella.
    585962026_fZZgh-XL.jpg

585929098_ppkZZ-XL-1.jpg

585927154_Vyj88-XL.jpg

585931552_j72nP-XL.jpg

585929694_WDH5V-XL.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Here's my try.
    This is my baby. I had planned on using a girl that usually models for me but she had to leave for a funeral. When my son stopped by for 5 min visit I coaxed him in to sitting a few moments for me. I am sure I have screwed up many of the rules but I promised myself whatever I did I would submit to you.
    I used my 60mm on my 30D. I stood 12 feet away and boy this was much harder than I imaged. I had some ideas what I wanted have my friend do but was completely lost at a spur of the moment shoot.
    I have sever RA and Fibro along with a few other medical problems that don't allow me to squat but tried to get down as far as I could without falling over.

Virginia invited to stop by and take a look at the exercise and I was intrigued. My usual model will be back this weekend and hopefully will get to try this again learning some mistakes from this. As long as we are still participating in this exercise.

587740483_VEVbu-L.jpg

587740820_et7CR-L.jpg

587740296_9F4YM-L.jpg

587739230_VKLS7-L.jpg

587739632_HvCgf-L.jpg

587740203_CZz2D-L.jpg

I think I shot them all at f4. I hope that was right. Hopefully I don't embarrase myself to much.
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    You shot high, you shot low. But when all was said and done, you kept shooting the same shot...until the end. And then you did something more with the frame, and got an interesting shot. Nice.

Thanks BD; I unfortunately wasn't able to get more shots, as we are in the middle of renovations, and my model is pretty busy. I'm tempted to take out the camera while he's working, but I may end up in his way more than usual, so I haven't yet. Although - it seems like it would be an interesting way to add interest to the frame, when he has different tools in his hand, and would create more of an 'environmental' shot than a 'portrait' style shot...and would provide more of a story.
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
    edited July 11, 2009
    Ok I got another person to lend me a hand by posing for me, my other sister, Michelle.
    I know the exercise called for one model, but as you can see, the
    little one refused to be put down. My sister is the main model and
    Ella is her um accesory:D Hope it works--I did follow the rules and didn't move my feet and she kept her rear planted.

Quick confession--yes I used Auto mode--still learning the camera and wanted to concentrate on the framing exercise and worked on the framing only.
    If you are wondering how I got the far off shots and the close up shots without using my zoom--I had my mom give me a hand (literally)--I leaned in and when I couldn't lean in anymore she held me by the back of the shirt so I wouldn't tip over.

Thank you Michelle and Ella.
    585962026_fZZgh-XL.jpg

585929098_ppkZZ-XL-1.jpg

585927154_Vyj88-XL.jpg

585931552_j72nP-XL.jpg

585929694_WDH5V-XL.jpg

Nice! I especially like the first. These are much improved - you've shown a willingness to use the frame in different ways, and you've ignored the 'rules.' The last one, in which you chop off part of the Mom, works well indeed. clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited July 11, 2009
    This is my baby. I had planned on using a girl that usually models for me but she had to leave for a funeral. When my son stopped by for 5 min visit I coaxed him in to sitting a few moments for me. I am sure I have screwed up many of the rules but I promised myself whatever I did I would submit to you.
    I used my 60mm on my 30D. I stood 12 feet away and boy this was much harder than I imaged. I had some ideas what I wanted have my friend do but was completely lost at a spur of the moment shoot.
    I have sever RA and Fibro along with a few other medical problems that don't allow me to squat but tried to get down as far as I could without falling over.

Virginia invited to stop by and take a look at the exercise and I was intrigued. My usual model will be back this weekend and hopefully will get to try this again learning some mistakes from this. As long as we are still participating in this exercise.

587740483_VEVbu-L.jpg

587740820_et7CR-L.jpg

587740296_9F4YM-L.jpg

587739230_VKLS7-L.jpg

587739632_HvCgf-L.jpg

587740203_CZz2D-L.jpg

I think I shot them all at f4. I hope that was right. Hopefully I don't embarrase myself to much.

Okay...First, the closer you are to the subject, the 'easier' this exercise becomes. Huh? Think that that's counter intuitive? Well, it's not. If you're closer to the subject, and use a wider lens - if you 'obey the rules' - you have much more ability to really work the scene by moving your body and arms, working for different views of the subject, positioning the subject in the frame in different ways.

What you've generally done here is take the same photo over and over; yes, there are variations - close up, for instance. But otherwise, you've had the subject do some different things in the same frame.

Does what I'm saying make sense?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    I have so much fun revisiting this thread every time it comes back to the top - thanks for encouraging us outsisde the box, BD (and glad you liked some of my second attempt - they're still not quite what I wanted but nice to know it's heading in the right direction!! thumb.gif)
    edited July 11, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Okay...First, the closer you are to the subject, the 'easier' this exercise becomes. Huh? Think that that's counter intuitive? Well, it's not. If you're closer to the subject, and use a wider lens - if you 'obey the rules' - you have much more ability to really work the scene by moving your body and arms, working for different views of the subject, positioning the subject in the frame in different ways.

What you've generally done here is take the same photo over and over; yes, there are variations - close up, for instance. But otherwise, you've had the subject do some different things in the same frame.

Does what I'm saying make sense?

Yes it makes perfect sense that's why I want to try again.
    Thanks for looking,
    edited July 11, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Nice! I especially like the first. These are much improved - you've shown a willingness to use the frame in different ways, and you've ignored the 'rules.' The last one, in which you chop off part of the Mom, works well indeed. clap.gif

Wahoo! :D
    I'm glad you thought these were "much improved"--they could not have gotten worse right?rolleyes1.gif All kidding aside, I enjoyed the exercise and will continue to do it on my own.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 11, 2009
    I have been looking at all of the shots presented in this thread and I want to understand so I have to ask. It seems like that Divamom utlized the rules the best? And having her daughter on the step seems to add a new deminsion to her posing? Am I right? If not please eleborate more.

50mm
    12ft away
    no moving your feet but can bend and contort as much as possible
    subject if on feet can't move from spot but can sit, laydown, etc. as long as feet kept in same spot?

thanks gail
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I haven't done the excersise yet, but hope too try this with my next senior session I have coming up in a week or so.

But I think I understand what this excersise is trying to make us do with our photography.

And that point is to pay attention to every single detail, not to be afraid of crazy angles, utilize our suroundings and incorporate them in the shot, and to get into shape! (semi kidding on that last one)

I find photographers sticking to the horizontal and portrait angles all the time, me being guilty of this too, and since everyone does this and likes this we are afraid to venture off into our personal unique creativeness. Mainstream pays our bills, but creativity gets the client.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and its the vicodin I just took speaking right now. eek7.gif (had a uvulectomy done July 6th and my throat is killing me right now - But I don't snore anymore!)
    Jer
    edited July 13, 2009
    I haven't done the excersise yet, but hope too try this with my next senior session I have coming up in a week or so.

But I think I understand what this excersise is trying to make us do with our photography.

And that point is to pay attention to every single detail, not to be afraid of crazy angles, utilize our suroundings and incorporate them in the shot, and to get into shape! (semi kidding on that last one)

I find photographers sticking to the horizontal and portrait angles all the time, me being guilty of this too, and since everyone does this and likes this we are afraid to venture off into our personal unique creativeness. Mainstream pays our bills, but creativity gets the client.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and its the vicodin I just took speaking right now. eek7.gif (had a uvulectomy done July 6th and my throat is killing me right now - But I don't snore anymore!)

Hold up! NO - I am not an advocate of crazy angles! In fact, as I've said before, I think that tilted horizons are for drunks and people with one leg shorter than the othermwink.gif

The idea here was to get you to think about the frame and everything in it, and how you should use all of it; how you don't have to plunk the subject into the center; how you don't have to think about the rule of thirds - or fourths - or 25thsrolleyes1.gif ; how it's okay to cut off part of someone's head, or face - IF it's your intent to do so in composing the image.

The exercise, as I've said before, is a total bitch - it's really, really hard. I long ago deleted my attempts at it because they were so embarrassingly awful. But that really is the point. It's designed to push you very hard, and get you to try new things, and hopefully it will make you think more about framing in the future.

I have to say that I am really pleased to see how many people were willing to tie the cement block to their feet and jump into the pool - and then try it again. And how much the photos really show that people were thinking about what they were doing.

Now...as for the next exercise...:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Hold up! NO - I am not an advocate of crazy angles! In fact, as I've said before, I think that tilted horizons are for drunks and people with one leg shorter than the othermwink.gif

The idea here was to get you to think about the frame and everything in it, and how you should use all of it; how you don't have to plunk the subject into the center; how you don't have to think about the rule of thirds - or fourths - or 25thsrolleyes1.gif ; how it's okay to cut off part of someone's head, or face - IF it's your intent to do so in composing the image.

The exercise, as I've said before, is a total bitch - it's really, really hard. I long ago deleted my attempts at it because they were so embarrassingly awful. But that really is the point. It's designed to push you very hard, and get you to try new things, and hopefully it will make you think more about framing in the future.

I have to say that I am really pleased to see how many people were willing to tie the cement block to their feet and jump into the pool - and then try it again. And how much the photos really show that people were thinking about what they were doing.

Now...as for the next exercise...:D

One of the things I've found interesting about this exercise (and, in fact all of the shots BD has posted/commented on in general) is that you prod us to take pictures which are *interesting* rather than necessarily flattering or comfortable; if you like, you're pushing us to find a kind of truth in the images rather than using the camera to CREATE am entirely different (and often more aesthetically attractive) truth. This should come as no surprise to any of us given your journo background, but as a relative n00b to all this with no formal visual-arts training, I find it's stretching my perceptions in all sorts of different and very liberating ways. I don't always care for the results I get, but I am REALLY enjoying learning how to *get* those results, and how there is a rather wider world than I realised beyond "snapshot", "formal-ish portrait" and even "candid"; ultimately, I can choose to use what I've discovered or not, and bend it to my own needs and goals for any picture that I take.

In other words.... this is great stuff!!!
    edited July 13, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    One of the things I've found interesting about this exercise (and, in fact all of the shots BD has posted/commented on in general) is that you prod us to take pictures which are *interesting* rather than necessarily flattering or comfortable; if you like, you're pushing us to find a kind of truth in the images rather than using the camera to CREATE am entirely different (and often more aesthetically attractive) truth. This should come as no surprise to any of us given your journo background, but as a relative n00b to all this with no formal visual-arts training, I find it's stretching my perceptions in all sorts of different and very liberating ways. I don't always care for the results I get, but I am REALLY enjoying learning how to *get* those results, and how there is a rather wider world than I realised beyond "snapshot", "formal-ish portrait" and even "candid"; ultimately, I can choose to use what I've discovered or not, and bend it to my own needs and goals for any picture that I take.

In other words.... this is great stuff!!!

Thank you - and your observation of what this is about is SPOT ON!!clap.gif
    I don't know that it has as much to do with my journalism background as it does with my lack of formal training and desire to create images that are visually interesting in and of themselves. When I am shooting a family, I am not looking to create 'cute,' 'pretty' images that make people look good, but rather photographic images that will stand by themselves as 'interesting' images. (But yes, I also make sure I get a certain number of images that, while not what a typical family photographer would produce, will make 'grandma' happy. mwink.gif

And it makes perfect sense that you don't like a lot of what you're getting. The only way you're always going to like what you get is if you are shooting by the 'rules,' within a very restricted vision. (And that kind of shooting is good, necessary, demanding, and is required for certain types of work.)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    ahh, so it was the vicodin. headscratch.gif I guess i was confused, because every picture that you said was what you were looking for, had some sort of "crazy angle".

By "crazy angle", I mean non eye level/waist level standard crap. Down ON the ground, 4 feet above them, side shot, under the chin shot, etc.. Maybe I should've of used the words crazy view or framing instead? I think its very important for the horizons to be level because otherwise the picture just looks strange!
    Jer
    edited July 14, 2009
    ahh, so it was the vicodin. headscratch.gif I guess i was confused, because every picture that you said was what you were looking for, had some sort of "crazy angle".

By "crazy angle", I mean non eye level/waist level standard crap. Down ON the ground, 4 feet above them, side shot, under the chin shot, etc.. Maybe I should've of used the words crazy view or framing instead? I think its very important for the horizons to be level because otherwise the picture just looks strange!

As do I.:D But given the demands of this exercise....
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com