Options

Journals of a wedding photography adventure

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    So amazingly beautiful!!! That candid (B15) just choked me up a bit. He looks so masculine and strong and she looks angelic. What a spectacular job you have done for such a special event. I love that her white dress is so distinguished from the snow. Bravo!!!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Wow Heather! This is really nice work. My 10 yr old daughter looked over my shoulder from the couch when I was looking at part B and was hanging on my shoulder just ooing and aahing as we went through the set. She wanted me to tell you she thought they were awesome also.

Something tells me you will be booked every weekend you want to be having this added to your already awesome portfolio. Once in a lifetime opportunity and handled wonderfully. you must be on cloud 9.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    ....Stunning work Heather....did I just call this work?rolleyes1.gif

-One question I have....doesn't everyone in Alaska see bears?

Seriously, beautiful series of photographs. Truely an experience that they wil treasure forever, and one that turns out to be just as special for you. The results here are no less than what I expect to see when opening your threads. Very well executed on all counts....and the sanctuary....yes....a spectacular setting fore sure.

Just beautiful.

For the rest of us....we can all at least say...."we knew you back when...."
    bowdown.gif

....and I think we can skip the "repeat after me" bit this time...eh?

Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    wilsonjgwilsonjg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    .....the entire time I'm looking at the ceremony photos, all I can think of is what an amazing job you did with the exposure!! ANYONE that has shot in snow can relate to the issues with over and under exposing then images...

What an amazing gallery!! clap.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Alaska
    Wow, Heather - these are great. What a fun couple - you got the whole gamut of emotions and their sense of adventure and playfulness.

Makes me want to visit Denali again.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    wilsonjg wrote:
    .....the entire time I'm looking at the ceremony photos, all I can think of is what an amazing job you did with the exposure!! ANYONE that has shot in snow can relate to the issues with over and under exposing then images...

Well, it is Alaska after all - she has more practice with snow than the rest of us rolleyes1.gif :lol4

(J/K, Heather - I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing about those dead-on exposures, especially the ones with white dress on white snowy background - you KNOW somebody's technique is rock solid when they can do that all the time they're producing spectacularly artistic and emotional results like these!!)
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Heather this is such a fantastic series. What a teaser though. clap.gif
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I just finished reading the rest of your story and seeing your pictures. Heather, your commentary needs to be a part of their wedding book. Don't know if you do that or not, but I think this could be one of the best little "love" stories I've ever read. :D
  • Options
    South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Heather, your photos speak for themselves. I just wanted to point out how cool the bride's boots are in her your second snow angel pic! Thanks for sharing.

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • Options
    elizabeth_Lunaelizabeth_Luna Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Heather, What a blessing it was for you to pick that spot! clap.gif Thank you so much for sharing these pictures with us very awesome work indeed! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    MA-FOTOMA-FOTO Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    this is so cool!!!! wings.gif and bowdown.gif and:ivar and thumb.gif !!!!!

thanks for sharing!!!!

what an oportunity and fantastic job!!!

SWEET!!!!!

Later,
    _Mark
    Drive 50D ~ 24-70 L ~ 85mm ~ 28mm ~ Tammy 17-50 mm ~ Stuff
    ~
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    These are truly delightful. Thank you for sharing the photos and their story!
  • Options
    MelMcClainMelMcClain Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    This shoot was 100% impressive! You've done a fantastic job in both pictures and describing your perspective of this couple! Thanks for sharing with us!
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Absolutely amazing! This is so touching in so many ways - thank you so much for sharing it with us!!

I agree - I like candid shots generally better than posed as well.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Such an AMAZING place you got the joy to photograph, and very cool that they let you choose the ceremony location! This is probably one of the coolest locations I've seen a wedding at yet! Awesome! Love these :)
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Wow, Heather...what a spectacular event, and you've done a wonderful, gorgeous, stupendous job capturing it and relating the story. Fabulous, amazing, (I need another adjective!) photos. bowdown.gif

B20 especially brings a smile to my face. thumb.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Wow- Thank you to everyone for your wonderful comments. I am super excited and I love these photos too!
    -To Jeff- I have only seen a grand total of 5 bears in the wild in my life. Two were last summer when I was camping. The bears live at the campground, and were quite accustomed to seeing people. They just sat on the hillside and ate vegitation all day. We kept a close eye on our kids and dogs while there... :D

316429953_HiNA3-M.jpg

I certainly would love to do the scenic fly-in tour again. I am going to definately see if I can talk my DH into going with me perhaps next summer. Life is too short to not do something so amazing more than once, especially since it is nearby! Though, I have to admit I love the boat tour with the whales and glaciers almost as much....
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Heather, your photos speak for themselves. I just wanted to point out how cool the bride's boots are in her your second snow angel pic! Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Noticed those boots too. VERY cool! thumb.gif

Thanks so much for sharing these shots, Heather. They were fabulous!!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Really, really incredible job here! Love B15 and B21 and the snow angel ones...
    E
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Wow- Thank you to everyone for your wonderful comments. I am super excited and I love these photos too!
    -To Jeff- I have only seen a grand total of 5 bears in the wild in my life. Two were last summer when I was camping. The bears live at the campground, and were quite accustomed to seeing people. They just sat on the hillside and ate vegitation all day. We kept a close eye on our kids and dogs while there... :D

316429953_HiNA3-M.jpg

I certainly would love to do the scenic fly-in tour again. I am going to definately see if I can talk my DH into going with me perhaps next summer. Life is too short to not do something so amazing more than once, especially since it is nearby! Though, I have to admit I love the boat tour with the whales and glaciers almost as much....

I was teasing about the bears....but you know that...

I have had Alaska on my "to-do" list every since I read Michener's "Alaska". Some day....some way....

You are blessed to live in such close proximity to these most beautiful parts of our planet. Truely.

-and you do it justice.:D
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Wow heatherfeather, those shots are just awesome. And you got to do them in the gorge thats even better!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I was teasing about the bears....but you know that...

I have had Alaska on my "to-do" list every since I read Michener's "Alaska". Some day....some way....

You are blessed to live in such close proximity to these most beautiful parts of our planet. Truely.

-and you do it justice.:D
    I can not encourage you strongly enough. It is so beautiful there. And it's not that expensive. No more so than flying anywhere else and cheaper than some places in the CONUS I can think of. And, it's well worth the $$.
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Wow, what exceptional images and an amazing adventure.

I'm glad I stopped to look.

You captured it wonderfully.

g
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I love the OP's pictures; that's such a neat idea for location, and it must have been such a blast to do that gig, but I wonder how far did you have to fly to get in, and what precautions did you take (in the event of forced landing or whatever) ?

I thought the boots to be neat, but did you have any survival gear on board? (just a thought…).

Back to the photos: You seem to have dealt pretty well with the overall blue light, although some of the later ones (in your sequence) had a different cast on them; I wonder if that was intentional, or time of day? Which brings me to some more questions: how long did you spend on the ground? What was the temperature? What was your altitude (when you were on the ground)? Also, on looking at the pictures again, I felt there was a slight amount of vignetting especially in some of the earlier pics… was that on purpose, part of the processing, or what?

Great pictures! Totally jealous! Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I love the OP's pictures; that's such a neat idea for location, and it must have been such a blast to do that gig, but I wonder how far did you have to fly to get in, and what precautions did you take (in the event of forced landing or whatever) ?

I thought the boots to be neat, but did you have any survival gear on board? (just a thought…).

Back to the photos: You seem to have dealt pretty well with the overall blue light, although some of the later ones (in your sequence) had a different cast on them; I wonder if that was intentional, or time of day? Which brings me to some more questions: how long did you spend on the ground? What was the temperature? What was your altitude (when you were on the ground)? Also, on looking at the pictures again, I felt there was a slight amount of vignetting especially in some of the earlier pics… was that on purpose, part of the processing, or what?

Great pictures! Totally jealous! Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

- Wil

Good questions, all.
    We flew the scenic route in, and the quick route out. The scenic route was around 1 1/2 hours... and the quick route about 45 minutes. I believe all the airplanes are equiped with safety equipment... and it isn't very far to the nearest town, and in fact we flew over it on our way back. If you are wanting to know a bit more about our route...
    I attached a map from their website. I believe we did the grand Denali with a little spin into the gorge on the right. That is aproximately where I think we landed. I don't have a clue of the altitude, but we weren't that high up, since my ears did the whole popping torture on the way to land.

As to the photos...
    It was difficult when I was processing... her dress was a totally different color of white than the snow. It had a lot more blue in it. Although it might just have been shiny or reflective of the blue in the sky.
    The reason why the colors might have looked different toward the end of the shoot is because we turned a completely different direction, and I made sure to keep them in the shade for the most part. I have noticed that the sky appears bluer depending on where the sun is in it. But it might just be me.

Confession: I am a vignette junky. I just can't hardly get enough it. Added later intentionally and hopefully judiciously. :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 3, 2009
    I like these for the same reasons I like The Proposal in the Park.

These are great. Lots of goodness comes across in these shots. And I too will hope the goodness carries through until the groom gets home.

You did very well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    WOWeee Amazing everything!!! I am insanely jealous of Heather! iloveyou.gif I want to have the opportunity to take pictures like that (but only once cause I hate the snow!) and have technical expertise and get the exposures right and be able to talk about it here and have people say nice things! Can you feel my tantrum? stomping feet and pouting? :smo Can you come to NY and give me a lesson or something? ne_nau.gif Pretty please? :D Seriously though....some of the most amazing stuff I have ever seen in wedding photography..... that stuff should be published!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    I don't think I can add a thing that hasn't been said already, but I absolutely love this whole series. They are simply beautiful, gorgeous, inspiring, and just WOW! Congratulations to you and also to the lucky couple.

Sherry
  • Options
    CaroleHayesCaroleHayes Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    I don't think I can add a thing that hasn't been said already, but I absolutely love this whole series. They are simply beautiful, gorgeous, inspiring, and just WOW! Congratulations to you and also to the lucky couple.

Sherry

What she said.... iloveyou.gif
    Don't cry because it's over—smile because it happened.
    - Dr. Seuss

My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    Thank you to everyone. I am simply overwhelmed by your responses!
    I really enjoyed everything about that wedding... let alone the experience! I am glad everyone is vicariously enjoying the day.iloveyou.gif It was so beautiful.