Options

Be Social - Sharing Problem

photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
edited August 10, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

I have just tried out the new Be Social sharing feature, only to receive the following error when I tried to share with facebook...

Invalid argument

The Facebook Connect cross-domain receiver URL (http://galleries.banksy.me.uk/services/fbconnect/xd_receiver.htm#fname=_opener&%7B%22t%22%3A3%2C%22h%22%3A%22fbCancelLogin%22%2C%22sid%22%3A%220.337%22%7D) must be in the same domain or be in a subdomain of an application's base domain (smugmug.com). You can configure the base domain in the application's settings.

Seems like you have to use smugmugnickname.smugmug.com url... but I have a domain switcher code with always changes my url to galleries.banksy.me.uk.

Any ideas??

Michael
Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    photobanks wrote:
    Seems like you have to use smugmugnickname.smugmug.com url... but I have a domain switcher code with always changes my url to galleries.banksy.me.uk.

Any ideas??

Michael
    Yes, it's a facebook thing right now, we're sorry. Can't use the custom domain.

And that domain switcher code, well, for these reasons I don't recommend it.

We're trying a workaround to make up for the facebook issue, stay tuned.
  • Options
    photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, it's a facebook thing right now, we're sorry. Can't use the custom domain.

And that domain switcher code, well, for these reasons I don't recommend it.

We're trying a workaround to make up for the facebook issue, stay tuned.

Ok, have got rid of the domain swapper, and posted a comment... but I cannot see it displayed in Facebook anywhere!! Where should it appear??

Michael
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • Options
    ToxMoxToxMox Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    photobanks wrote:
    Ok, have got rid of the domain swapper, and posted a comment... but I cannot see it displayed in Facebook anywhere!! Where should it appear??

Michael
    I have the same problem
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    ToxMox wrote:
    I have the same problem
    we'll check it.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    we'll check it.
    Should show right on your wall:

20090704-qqcedfi5qydfkma1uq8ccxrx4y.jpg
  • Options
    ndsimmndsimm Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    I'm trying it as well and not getting it to show...I'll try a few different galleries to see if I am missing something....
  • Options
    ndsimmndsimm Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    from what I could see on my end, I was trying to share a gallery that was hidden, and when I made it public, it worked....
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    I don't understand Be Social.
    I click Facebook and it asks me to log in to Facebook, but when I do, I get a window with the SmugMug home page. Nothing happens in Facebook.
    I have SmugMug 'turned on' in Facebook.
    Am I supposed to see my smugmug site on Facebook?
    Or, what happens in Facebook that is related to Smugmug?

thanks,,,,
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    ChancyRat wrote:
    I don't understand Be Social.
    I click Facebook and it asks me to log in to Facebook, but when I do, I get a window with the SmugMug home page. Nothing happens in Facebook.
    I have SmugMug 'turned on' in Facebook.
    Am I supposed to see my smugmug site on Facebook?
    Or, what happens in Facebook that is related to Smugmug?

thanks,,,,
    Please do it from your nickname.smugmug.com page, facebook isn't allowing custom domains via us yet. We'll get a workaround!
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Please do it from your nickname.smugmug.com page, facebook isn't allowing custom domains via us yet. We'll get a workaround!

Oh, I see, thanks. Next question: I was able to post 2 links to galleries, but could not post a link to an individual photo (which was a video). Is this supposed to work for only galleries? I should say the process went through as if everything was working, attached a message/title, sent to stream, etc., but on Facebook nothing showed.
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    I got caught by trying to do it from my domain too. maybe a warning on the share page that it doesn't work from custom domains if you are using one would help.

Also the first time I tried it (after I switched to myname.smugmug.com) It didn't post anything, I filled it all out a second time and it appeared in an instant.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    JoolsJools Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2009
    I'm having a few problems with the new Facebook feature too - I managed to post a link to one gallery (after two attempts) and it appeared onto Facebook instantly but now I'm trying to post a link to a second gallery and it just won't let me at all. It's not a private gallery or anything, I've tried logging into and out of both Smugmug and Facebook, when I go onto the Besocial link it recognises that I'm logged into Facebook but it won't bring the next screen up where I can put a description and post it (pop-ups not blocked either).

Not sure if this is a bug or just me but it's bedtime here in the UK so I'm giving up and will check it out tomorrow...it's going to be a great feature though once I can get it working right :)
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Going through the process to post a gallery to Facebook seemed to work just fine, except I don't see anything posting on Facebook. ne_nau.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Nevermind...saw the smug nickname thing on the previous page, tried it again and it worked. thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    JoolsJools Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2009
    Jools wrote:
    I'm having a few problems with the new Facebook feature too - I managed to post a link to one gallery (after two attempts) and it appeared onto Facebook instantly but now I'm trying to post a link to a second gallery and it just won't let me at all. It's not a private gallery or anything, I've tried logging into and out of both Smugmug and Facebook, when I go onto the Besocial link it recognises that I'm logged into Facebook but it won't bring the next screen up where I can put a description and post it (pop-ups not blocked either).

Not sure if this is a bug or just me but it's bedtime here in the UK so I'm giving up and will check it out tomorrow...it's going to be a great feature though once I can get it working right :)

Ok, I still couldn't get this to work today but after much messing around trying this, that and the other I discovered that most of my gallery's would post fine to Facebook, just not the one I really wanted to post. After a process of elimination I worked out that some of the photo's in the gallery that wouldn't post had two lines of text in the caption field, once I reduced this to one line the gallery would post!

So problem solved! I shall just have small captions in future :D
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I was also getting the facebook error with custom domains and now when I click the facebook link the page opens to the smumug home page. Anything I am missing?? I have tried both domains..
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    I was also getting the facebook error with custom domains and now when I click the facebook link the page opens to the smumug home page. Anything I am missing?? I have tried both domains..
    clear your cache and log out of facebook, then close browser, reopen go again to nickname.smugmug.com and you can use the facebook besocial from there.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Jools wrote:

So problem solved! I shall just have small captions in future :D
    Sorry, we can't replicate this, but we'll keep trying!
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    clear your cache and log out of facebook, then close browser, reopen go again to nickname.smugmug.com and you can use the facebook besocial from there.

Thanks Andy, this worked great! The ability to add text to it as well to get the word out my galleries are up for viewing and purchasing. When the features we are all waiting for are up we can even put in the coupon codes and such. That will be cool..
  • Options
    inkmantpainkmantpa Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Well, yesterday, by using my nickname and not my custom domain, I was able to post to both Twitter and Facebook. Today, I can still post to Facebook, but when I try to post to Twitter, a little "Loading Please Wait" box pops up and just sits there. Never posts to Twitter, no way to close or cancel, so I have to close my browser to get out of this.

Once again, #FAIL on a new feature. I mean seriously, SmugMug doesn't have testing of custom domains as part of the standard test plan and test cases for all new features?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    inkmantpa wrote:
    Well, yesterday, by using my nickname and not my custom domain, I was able to post to both Twitter and Facebook. Today, I can still post to Facebook, but when I try to post to Twitter, a little "Loading Please Wait" box pops up and just sits there. Never posts to Twitter, no way to close or cancel, so I have to close my browser to get out of this.

Once again, #FAIL on a new feature. I mean seriously, SmugMug doesn't have testing of custom domains as part of the standard test plan and test cases for all new features?
    Hi, we're sorry that this is posing some problems. Yes, we test exhaustively and extensively. Yet still, things come up. If we can replicate, we'll fix this asap.

I know you also wrote our help desk - we'll handle here please, so that we don't have to do double answering, ok? Thanks and sorry again for the hassle.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    inkmantpa wrote:
    I mean seriously, SmugMug doesn't have testing of custom domains as part of the standard test plan and test cases for all new features?
    Not sure why, yet, but try 'forget me' then re authorize twitter? It works that way for me. Then see if you continue to have an issue, okay?
  • Options
    ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    For some reason I am getting extra characters
    Testing out SmugMug\'s \'Be Social\' feature

I entered to following into the 'Be Social' share box on SmugMug
    Testing out SmugMug's 'Be Social' feature
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    I get the extra characters on any punctuation too. It's like it's not being escaped properly (or done twice) in the code somewhere.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    photostuffphotostuff Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Any progress yet in the workaround for using Custom domains with Facebook Connect Andy? :D
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    photostuff wrote:
    Any progress yet in the workaround for using Custom domains with Facebook Connect Andy? :D
    You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.
  • Options
    shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    I managed to get Facebook Connect to work and it's pretty cool. The only thing is that after it appears on my wall in Facebook, it neither appears in my history of Photos or Links, which makes it harder for people to discover them again at a later stage. Any way to get around this?

Thanks,

Nelson
  • Options
    TallahasseeTrailsTallahasseeTrails Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Andy comes through again
    Andy wrote:
    Andy,
    Thanks a bunch for stating and restating till it finally sunk in for me. Your patience is beyond my comprehension. I hope they double your attaboys.

You folks indeed wrote,
    "Gotcha: At this time, Facebook Connect doesn't work through custom domains, so please view your gallery through your SmugMug nickname (http://yournickname.smugmug.com), instead. Sorry!"

That's on the help page in here under Sharing --> Be Social:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/social-networks

The reason my brain didn't register? Perhaps because the text reads
    "VIEW your gallery through your SmugMug nickname"
    as distinguished from
    "LOG IN to your gallery through your SmugMug nickname."
    Doh! I get it - that amounts to the same thing.
    Perhaps that text could be tweaked.
    After getting the weird domain blah blah message from Facebook, I figured things out by searching this forum. All now appears functional.
    Thanks again, Andy!
    John
    http://tallahasseetrails.com/
  • Options
    Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Andy, when we'll be able to comment with facebook with a custom domain? mwink.gif
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    Thanks again, Andy!
    John
    http://tallahasseetrails.com/
    YW very much and thanks for the feedback, too!