whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Not aged!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Hey Linda.. Your new title rocks, iloveyou.gif it.. and it fits the photo much better..

I am thinking I like the non - aged one too... It has more of a photograph appeal to it... Song title and photo are spot on..thumb.gif

Awesome Work..:D... hmmm, but we all know you can't help yourself, and with this much time to go before the deadline, I have a feeling we will be choosing between the winner of these two and some others..mwink.gif

Kat
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    non-aged here, too. I LOVE your antiquing work, but this one seems to have more depth and contour without it.

Both of the shots you've presented are magnificent. I wish I was doing half so well! My brain has FROZEN on this challenge - I've got ideas, but I can't actually DO any of them, and nothing has yet dropped into my head in that "have to shoot n.o.w." way that usually lets me know I'm on to a good idea rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    My son says the aged one. He says it is brighter and just cooler. Personally I like them both....so I am no help.

BTW... love the work you did to get rid of the strap on the chair!
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I'll be the oddball:D I like them both, but I think the aged one gives more of a "vacant" feel...just my opinion. It is a very strong photo...there's a story there, which is what makes an image for me...nicely donethumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Hey Linda.

I am trying your tutorial in order to rescue a portrait I recently shot and so far so good, but I don't know how to bring in the scratches as an alpha channel..
    Help Pretty Please..headscratch.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Never mind.. duhhhhhhhh.. I just saw that you put a second link on there that walks me through it..

Will share when I am finished.

Again thanks Linda,,, I have been trying for some time now to master this grunge stuff..

Kat
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Nice job with both Linda. You know what I was thinking? How about the B&W version of the 2nd one with a killer contrast? I kinna like them both too and I agree with divamum that the 2nd one has more depth and the reason for it seems to come from the light shining on the floor which is more pronounced in the 2nd version. I guess it is a toss-up for me between the 2, but I am still leaning towards the aged version but so very slightly. Why do I have the feeling that the 2nd version will look amazing in B&W ... with some dodging on the chair to draw the viewers' eyes to it? Oh I think it is because of that beautiful light on the floor. :D
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Btw Linda, regarding your comment under my entry, I did NOT apply any textures to my image. It was all processed in Photoshop with no textures used whatsoever. :andy
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Ok........ Allen, now I am curious.. Just looked at your entry.. impressive.. but no texture?

Did you brush in a separate colored layer from behind with a PS brush set?

How did you get that texture? perhaps you will share after the competition.

All the same.. Nice work..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Ok........ Allen, now I am curious.. Just looked at your entry.. impressive.. but no texture?

Did you brush in a separate colored layer from behind with a PS brush set?

How did you get that texture? perhaps you will share after the competition.

All the same.. Nice work..thumb.gif

Kat
    Sure Kat, I would be happy to share the steps in the feedback thread when I get a chance. I will be out of the country around that time but I would gladly do so when I get back.

p.s. Going to a wedding in Italy
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Thank you Allen.. I look forward to learning..

I was wondering why you put in such an early entry this time.. A wedding is exciting, but in Italy? Amazing.... Hopefully you will be bringing back some awesome photography from that journey to share with us.. bowdown.gifD..

I can just imagine your signature HDR work on some Italy shots...:ivar
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Thanks for all your comments, folks! iloveyou.gif

Allen, never thought to play with a plain B&W version. I kind of liked the warmth of the sepia tone but I'm game! If you're heading to Italy and to a wedding, you're going to have some excellent photo ops. You might even need to change your current entry. :D I'd love to see the "how to" for that one, BTW.

Hey Kat -- watch that grunge stuff. It's addicting as all hell! eek7.gifwinkrolleyes1.gif

Hey divamum -- we have a full moon right now. If you can get outside in the evening to take some shots that include that moon, you'll pretty much have your pick of song titles to apply to it. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Hey divamum -- we have a full moon right now. If you can get outside in the evening to take some shots that include that moon, you'll pretty much have your pick of song titles to apply to it. mwink.gif

Way ahead of you. Unfortunately, I'm "between" telephoto lenses because I sold my 55-250 over the weekend, so my idea for moonshots has been somewhat minimized (quite literally!). That said, if it's clear and the first sliver out of the moon isn't too obvious tonight, I should have my used-but-new-to-me 200L to give it a try. My first L lens gets delivered today (wheeeee!). ~looks out window impatiently~ :D
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Way ahead of you. Unfortunately, I'm "between" telephoto lenses because I sold my 55-250 over the weekend, so my idea for moonshots has been somewhat minimized (quite literally!). That said, if it's clear and the first sliver out of the moon isn't too obvious tonight, I should have my used-but-new-to-me 200L to give it a try. My first L lens gets delivered today (wheeeee!). ~looks out window impatiently~ :D
    Can't wait to see those shots! Have fun playing with your new toy.

headscratch.gif Let's see: there's "Fly Me to the Moon", "Moonlight Becomes You", and all these. Oh--you're gonna have a really good time...mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Can't wait to see those shots! Have fun playing with your new toy.

headscratch.gif Let's see: there's "Fly Me to the Moon", "Moonlight Becomes You", and all these. Oh--you're gonna have a really good time...mwink.gif

Oh yeah - there's ZILLIONS of them. The trick, of course, is not repeating somebody else's image in regard to them, and coming up wtih something interesting in its own right. That's where I'm REALLY falling down this time out - I can think of plenty of song visuals, but they're just boring. I think this may be the only time I've ever wished I was a wedding photog - I can think of soooooooooooOOooooOOOOooo many songs to put to wedding and e-shoot pictures! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I didn't have the time to read the other's comments...

I like them both, very nice realization, but I would vote for the first one
    because it's different.

For the Home sweet home - who knows about people's reactions... there may be
    different ways everybody perceives the concept...

On the first one I also like a lot the shadow on the wall - it gives an additional something...
    - in my opinion...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    skipping all posts, let me say you sure have a knac for this "look" I like these tones and textures used.

I dont have any suggestion to make them better because these are truly from your vision and I believe you made no mistake in what you did or why.

thumb.gif

btw, I think the Spooler has a little more story to the image than the room image.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

Hey Kat -- watch that grunge stuff. It's addicting as all hell! eek7.gifwinkrolleyes1.gif

Tell me about it Linda... I have been at this one forever now.. I need your CC on it. I did discover the reason you dodged first.. ha ha.. once you put that grunge onto it, it darkens and accentuates everything, which is great unless your dealing with a human face like I am now.. I am almost finished and will share it when i am done..

I am hooked on this grunge stuff... I have a question.. Why a channel layer? I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it to cut and paste into the channel layer, so I just brought it in as a separate layer, and then went with overlay on some of them and multiply on others. I don't understand why it has to be a channel layer. Help?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Thanks for your comments, Aaron and Tatiana. thumb.gif

I've narrowed it down to a non-aged version. I've had a few of these aged shots in the challenges already need to try something different.

I tried Allen's suggestion of a B&W version and I wanted to get your thoughts on that one in comparison to the Sepia version. The light just seems to pop in the B&W shot but the Sepia induces more of a sentimental mood for me which is in line with the song. headscratch.gif

#1 B&W
    585767655_oWLGM-XL.jpg

#2 - Sepia
    585090955_J3PfX-XL.jpg
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Both fantastic...but I have to go with the sepia. The detail in the wood flooring really comes alive in the sepia version. clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Both fantastic...but I have to go with the sepia. The detail in the wood flooring really comes alive in the sepia version. clap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Really nice!
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Sepia gets my vote too thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Both are lovely Linda.. However, I agree with your own assessment here on the Sepia, it is very mood inducing.. What wonderful job you did here, and you made it look so easy too......eek7.gifD

Kat
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    Kat, Linda

My wife's cousin is getting married in Palermo, Sicily, so we are going on a 17-day vacation through Italy and France. I am totally excited about it!
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    You lucky man you.......eek7.gifwink

It is official.. My life is boring.. HA.

Oh please..... bring back some water canal shots with those boats.. My Fav..

I love Mediterranean.. OHHHHH.. the vineyards, canals, stone roads, architecture, your portfolio is getting ready to get a major influx of gorgeous..

Please don't forget us Allen, do share photos if ya get a chance..bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

oh yeah,, and the wedding shots are sure to charm too.. What a dreamy wedding locale...

Kat
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    My vote is also for the sepia, excellent!
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Sepiathumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    You lucky man you.......eek7.gifwink

It is official.. My life is boring.. HA.

Oh please..... bring back some water canal shots with those boats.. My Fav..

I love Mediterranean.. OHHHHH.. the vineyards, canals, stone roads, architecture, your portfolio is getting ready to get a major influx of gorgeous..

Please don't forget us Allen, do share photos if ya get a chance..bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

oh yeah,, and the wedding shots are sure to charm too.. What a dreamy wedding locale...

Kat

Water canal shots are definitely part of the plan because we will be staying in Venice for 3 days!
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    Water canal shots are definitely part of the plan because we will be staying in Venice for 3 days!

clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapwings.gif