Options

marketing success stories...

Comments

• Options
    msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    kd2 wrote:
    As a "vendor" at another event, it's important to remember that the MK gals are also trying to make sales. So I was mindful of that in my pricing since I knew that many times people go to these events with a set limit of how much they can spend. I also wanted the event to be profitable for my MK friends. So I really went in with the idea that this would be more for exposure for me.

Yup, good thing to keep in mind, they need to make money to or you wont be asked to come back. :)

I dont suppose you got some of your picturse from this online to show us? :)

I wonder how the MK ladies use the images you provide them in their business. advertising, website, etc?

I think I would give them a gift after the event if I did that good. Just a further incentive to ask me back the following year. :D
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    msf wrote:
    The prices dont seem to bad. You an only charge whet the local market can support.

I hope you dont mind me asking, what are in your other 2 packages? Did you offer larger prints/canvas/proof books? What package was the most popular?

$900 isnt bad for a 4 hour event and some extra time for processing. :)

I agree 900 plus future sessions and contacts is great for that. Kathleen your images are beautiful. Would you mind if I was able to look at that gallery? Also How did you get an image to show up for password protected galleries? I would like that so much better than that image that says password protected. btw thanks for all the great info everyone
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    I agree 900 plus future sessions and contacts is great for that. Kathleen your images are beautiful. Would you mind if I was able to look at that gallery? Also How did you get an image to show up for password protected galleries? I would like that so much better than that image that says password protected. btw thanks for all the great info everyone

If you load the gallery up, click on the image you want to show as a thumbnail for the gallery, then go to tools > this photo - more > feature.

if you have a bunch of galleries in another, the first gallery is what shows as a thumb for the primary gallery, if that makes sense. I wish you could change that, and perhaps you can but I havent found it.
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Thanks for the comments on my work and here are a few images I can share from the event. One note--at first I was more concerned about making sure I had good shots of the makeup on the ladies. But I got less concerned about that and really just concentrated on the mother/daughter interactions instead. The MK ladies didn't mind. They were just happy that their clients were happy. Oh, and they gave me a big gift of products for coming! I totally scored!

530626234_JYAUY-S.jpg

536193409_mTLuo-S.jpg

590079852_PZMnd-S.jpg
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    kd2 wrote:
    Thanks for the comments on my work and here are a few images I can share from the event. One note--at first I was more concerned about making sure I had good shots of the makeup on the ladies. But I got less concerned about that and really just concentrated on the mother/daughter interactions instead. The MK ladies didn't mind. They were just happy that their clients were happy. Oh, and they gave me a big gift of products for coming! I totally scored!

530626234_JYAUY-S.jpg

536193409_mTLuo-S.jpg

590079852_PZMnd-S.jpg

thanks very nice
  • Options
    MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Word of mouth promotion...
    I have to agree that the best success I've had is with word of mouth. So I've created these REP cards to help the incentive...

6454_233360900334_215467805334_7815750_5972046_n.jpg (FRONT)

(BACK)
    6454_233361440334_215467805334_7815763_1057405_n.jpg

so far clients are really excited about them!! What do you think?
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Well as you have seen demonstrated in this thread, those looking to improve in the marketing area usually to do trial and error to figure out what works and what doesn't. And once you do that you are less likely to share it freely (you see lots of seminars that cost) or in a location it could help there direct competition. Putting it in a message forum that everybody can read is less likely than, writing a book or teaching a seminar that generates revenue. And those that are doing it well, don't have much time to share the info.

The best info I got was from marketing books at a local library, besides the trial and error. As a former BNI member it was very beneficial for that business (years ago), looking to rejoin soon once I can find a group with the right mix of people.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    bham wrote:
    Well as you have seen demonstrated in this thread, those looking to improve in the marketing area usually to do trial and error to figure out what works and what doesn't. And once you do that you are less likely to share it freely (you see lots of seminars that cost) or in a location it could help there direct competition. Putting it in a message forum that everybody can read is less likely than, writing a book or teaching a seminar that generates revenue. And those that are doing it well, don't have much time to share the info.

Sharing what works for one person is not going to necessarily guarantee that it will work for those who read it. The person still has to have the ability to carry it out, the leads to follow, the ability to close the deal, and so on. There is an old saying "That it isn't what you know but who you know". Add to that "Who knows you".

Just because I am able to find work here in the San Francisco area doesn't mean that the next person can move here and find work. I am pretty sure that there are plenty of pro's here that cannot find work here.

I have absolutely no problem with sharing what works for me. Will it work for anyone else? Who knows. Too many people on the online forums are scared to share because someone somewhere may actually learn something and make a dollar that they feel that they deserve.

I hear all sorts of excuses as to why people aren't getting work or making a profit, and for the most part it all boils down to a lack of business skills. Some for whatever reason believe that photography is different than every other business out there and automatically assume that the same marketing will not work. Others choose to keep their business a secret and wonder why customers are not beating a path to their door. Some think that they deserve work simply because they take good images.

If you notice that the majority of working pro's are sharing what works and the non working share what doesn't work. Seems to be a pretty consistent theme.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    I have to agree that the best success I've had is with word of mouth. So I've created these REP cards to help the incentive...

6454_233360900334_215467805334_7815750_5972046_n.jpg (FRONT)

(BACK)
    6454_233361440334_215467805334_7815763_1057405_n.jpg

so far clients are really excited about them!! What do you think?
    I like it, but I wonder how you know who gave the referral? I just gave my first senior her rep cards that I ordered from whcc for $12 for 50 cards on pearl with uv coating on both sides and LOVED them, but it had her name on it so I knew who to give the credit to.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    I like it, but I wonder how you know who gave the referral? I just gave my first senior her rep cards that I ordered from whcc for $12 for 50 cards on pearl with uv coating on both sides and LOVED them, but it had her name on it so I knew who to give the credit to.

they have to write their name in the white area on the back. :)
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    they have to write their name in the white area on the back. :)

lol I thought it was just for the person giving you the card and I got confused, my poor tired brain lol
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    I think your card is great! One of the things I teach business owners is that you should have a way for people to refer business to you. So good job!

And my .02 about the sharing of information. I share freely because it's not going to take anything away from my business and it honestly makes me feel good if I can help someone else. When I was just getting started, another photographer freely shared everything with me about his business. I asked why he was being so generous. He said, "Kath, there's plenty of business for everyone." Another photographer (who I'd only recently met) spent hours encouraging me and even gave me tips on how to get a higher ranking on my website--so much that I now come up #1 in a local area search and he's dropped to #2. We laugh about it (and I'm sure he's working on a way to get his #1 spot back!).

Both guys are very successful photographers and their attitude inspires me. They took the time to help me and I'm sure their generous attitude is what draws more clients to them. For me it's all about working with an abundance mindset rather than a scarcity one. I guess you can say that's another one of my marketing success tips.
    ~Kathy

• Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    One thing that i think is going to help me is that I joined a local women in business networking group. I've only met with them 2x but we have ideas on how to use my services like joining up with the senior rep from mary kay and a facebook friday (got idea form imagesbykay.com) where we will set up a networking event and I'll charge like 10 for a couple poses of each lady and a group shot in order to update their business cards or social networking images. Just a thought!
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    I was just wondering what you all thought about putting flyers/brochures under car windshield wippers, in parking lots. Is this something that people dont like, enough to avoid a company that did it, or do you think its something that could bring in work? Even targeting the nicer cars in a parking lot perhaps, to try to get the more upscale client?

Another idea I thought of is to write down the addresses of the "nicer" houses in the area, and mail a postcard to them directly. This can get expensive fast due to the cost of stamps, but one paying client could pay for it all quite fast.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    I am not a fan of having flyers on my car. Certainly not a business that I would assume who deals with higher end clients.

There are companies that specialize in mass mailing postcard type ads and they are not cheap. I know a guy who owns one of these franchises and privately he has suggested that I not use this type of service. The rate of return is geared on more generic things. Carpet cleaning, air conditioner service, lawn service, pizza coupons, that sort of thing.

If you want higher end clients you have to go where they are. I have found it easy to deal with people on their ground versus a random ad.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    I am not a fan of having flyers on my car. Certainly not a business that I would assume who deals with higher end clients.

There are companies that specialize in mass mailing postcard type ads and they are not cheap. I know a guy who owns one of these franchises and privately he has suggested that I not use this type of service. The rate of return is geared on more generic things. Carpet cleaning, air conditioner service, lawn service, pizza coupons, that sort of thing.

If you want higher end clients you have to go where they are. I have found it easy to deal with people on their ground versus a random ad.

By higher end, I should be more specific. Im interested in a wide range of photography, but for now my main sources of income is portraits. I would like to add weddings to this list.

I realize a higher end client would be different for someone wanting commerical clients.

Where do you suggest the higher end clients are? Where do you go to meet and talk to them? The only thing coming to mind is some golf clubs, but I cant play golf *once hit a piece of grass further than the ball*, nor got the money for the dues. : )
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    When I first started, I sat down and figured out what types of photography I wanted to do, then figured out what type of client I wanted. I then built a network of people who were already working with those types of clients.

If I were interested in weddings, I would begin by setting up a booth at the various wedding and bridal shows.

I would visit every florist in the surrounding counties. Same with the boutiques that sell the dresses, the caterers, the tuxedo rentals, the limo companies, and so on. I would scout the locations such as churches, parks, lakes, country clubs, anyplace that looks good for a wedding.

Now you would not be the first photographer who has done this, so working out the referral details to get the work will require work on your part. I would also be out there meeting with wedding photographers offering some 2nd shooting.

Success is far easier to achieve with a group versus an individual. A fact that seems to get lost on many online forums. The Smugs group has this idea in mind with their monthly meetings.

If you want to do portraits with higher end people, find where those people are. Country clubs are a good place to start. So are charity events, dog shows, high end car shows, boat shows, high end restaurants, hair salons, and the list goes on and on.

Again, you need to get out there to these places and meet with the people who run or organize it. Build your networking group from the other businesses who cater to the upper class in your area. They already have the customer base, and you are not a competitor. Working together you both succeed.

Every business owner has the same goal. Build a client base, keep the client base. By throwing in your services along with theirs, you can both benefit from the added exposure and services.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    When I first started, I sat down and figured out what types of photography I wanted to do, then figured out what type of client I wanted. I then built a network of people who were already working with those types of clients.

If I were interested in weddings, I would begin by setting up a booth at the various wedding and bridal shows.

I would visit every florist in the surrounding counties. Same with the boutiques that sell the dresses, the caterers, the tuxedo rentals, the limo companies, and so on. I would scout the locations such as churches, parks, lakes, country clubs, anyplace that looks good for a wedding.

Now you would not be the first photographer who has done this, so working out the referral details to get the work will require work on your part. I would also be out there meeting with wedding photographers offering some 2nd shooting.

Success is far easier to achieve with a group versus an individual. A fact that seems to get lost on many online forums. The Smugs group has this idea in mind with their monthly meetings.

If you want to do portraits with higher end people, find where those people are. Country clubs are a good place to start. So are charity events, dog shows, high end car shows, boat shows, high end restaurants, hair salons, and the list goes on and on.

Again, you need to get out there to these places and meet with the people who run or organize it. Build your networking group from the other businesses who cater to the upper class in your area. They already have the customer base, and you are not a competitor. Working together you both succeed.

Every business owner has the same goal. Build a client base, keep the client base. By throwing in your services along with theirs, you can both benefit from the added exposure and services.

these are the same ideas i had, and i know what other businesses to target for weddings and maternity/ baby, but what about hs seniors they don't really have boutique stores that cater to them and whatnot, have any suggestions there?
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    msf wrote:
    I was just wondering what you all thought about putting flyers/brochures under car windshield wippers, in parking lots. Is this something that people dont like, enough to avoid a company that did it, or do you think its something that could bring in work? Even targeting the nicer cars in a parking lot perhaps, to try to get the more upscale client?

Another idea I thought of is to write down the addresses of the "nicer" houses in the area, and mail a postcard to them directly. This can get expensive fast due to the cost of stamps, but one paying client could pay for it all quite fast.

frankly I get really irritated when people do that... especially if I see them laying around on the ground from when people just pull it off and litter with it... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    these are the same ideas i had, and i know what other businesses to target for weddings and maternity/ baby, but what about hs seniors they don't really have boutique stores that cater to them and whatnot, have any suggestions there?

The same principle applies. You have the senior rep program which I think is a wonderful idea. The added Facebook / MySpace deal is a great one also. There is a photographer here in my area that holds Facebook parties for the younger crowd (16-21). He gives a 3 look package for $25 and packs the kids in.
    He rents the local community hall and spreads the word. The event that I stopped by to see he had done around 100 kids and still had a day to go. He has 2 helpers per photographer and he usually has one 2nd shooter, and he has told me that at the larger events he has 2 extra.

As far as stores that cater to teens, they are a dime a dozen here. The local clothing shops, the shoe stores, the movie theatre, the food outlets, the skate park.
    The owners and managers of these stores still have the same problem of getting and keeping customers. While chain stores are harder to deal with on the corporate level, the franchise owners are always looking for a new way to attract a crowd. Partner an event with them and some of your other business owner friends. Think open house.
    Business owners have a habit of putting the blinders on when it comes to way of running their businesses. Some of their habits are good and some hinder their growth. It is your job to offer them ways to expand that are zero loss on their part.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    The same principle applies. You have the senior rep program which I think is a wonderful idea. The added Facebook / MySpace deal is a great one also. There is a photographer here in my area that holds Facebook parties for the younger crowd (16-21). He gives a 3 look package for $25 and packs the kids in.
    He rents the local community hall and spreads the word. The event that I stopped by to see he had done around 100 kids and still had a day to go. He has 2 helpers per photographer and he usually has one 2nd shooter, and he has told me that at the larger events he has 2 extra.

As far as stores that cater to teens, they are a dime a dozen here. The local clothing shops, the shoe stores, the movie theatre, the food outlets, the skate park.
    The owners and managers of these stores still have the same problem of getting and keeping customers. While chain stores are harder to deal with on the corporate level, the franchise owners are always looking for a new way to attract a crowd. Partner an event with them and some of your other business owner friends. Think open house.
    Business owners have a habit of putting the blinders on when it comes to way of running their businesses. Some of their habits are good and some hinder their growth. It is your job to offer them ways to expand that are zero loss on their part.

Between the networking event i did today and the great advice here I'm rolling in good ideas, now just got to make a plan to execute it. I really like the facebook idea. I had already had that idea for a networking event for professionals to update their profile pics and of doing themed portrait parties, but didn't think about doing a teen day that is an AWESOME idea. and maybe I can get together with a school homecoming fair to offer it and donate the profits to their pta or something!!! that will get my name out their as someone who helps, is creative, and I get their contact info and possible sessions when the parents see their new images.

ooh or rent out a place like above and ontact other vendors to share the cost adn offer their services kind of like a bridal show but for teens!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    Also add in local pageants. Usually small town events will have various pageants and those usually include kids and teens.
    Some underage clubs (18-21) also sponsor events for kids that can add a ton of exposure.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    soaking it up...this is great guys!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    I agree, great advice being shared here and I, too, appreciate all the ideas.
    ~Kathy

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    frankly I get really irritated when people do that... especially if I see them laying around on the ground from when people just pull it off and litter with it... headscratch.gif

Many municipalities have bylaws against windshield flyers for that exact reason - and you can be charged and fined for distributing them - so be careful if you do it.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2010
    Hmm, I forgot about this mary kay idea. I did ask a couple people I know that sells the product but never got a response from them, then I got distracted with other things.

I guess I should contact them again, a year should not be to short of a time to send another email. :)
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2010
    barnyard wrote: »
    Seniors whose photographs were featured in my county fair booth, received the photos after the fair.

Speaking of county fairs.... cheapest booth space on the planet. In our area, huge numbers of people. I made sure to man the booth during specific times and was low key when there. Some of my greatest clients were met at the fair.

There are two county fairs coming up that I was thinking about doing, the timing is perfect, one is for 9 days the first of sept, and the other is about 9 days a few days after the first one.

I was thinking of getting a booth but I was not sure if I should just show pictures, or if I should try to do pictures there.

What all did you do at your fair?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Many people jump into "doing" too quickly - before they figure out what their business is all about.

The marketing tactics you choose depend on the market you want to reach. Photography is not one business - there are hundreds of possible businesses. The marketing answer always depends on understanding your customer - the what, the where, and the why. Cygnus says some good things - find your niche.

Miss B is floating the idea of a "Lifestyle Portrait" niche. My first problem as a marketeer is that this is much too broad a definition to help understand the market. Do we talk about events in High Society, our First Child, California Surfers, Seniors at the County Fair, My Favorite Horse, or CEO snaps for the boardroom? All very different markets, reached in very different ways.
  • Options
    pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2010

My daughter is a "senior to be". Between the end of her Junior year and now (mid summer), I have lost count of the number of mailings she has received from photographers - all offering a deal on sitting fees for early bookings.

I'm betting the photogs all get class lists from local schools....
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2010
    A good spot to advertise to teens might be the mall. They do seem to like to hang out there. But malls are usually covered by a local photographer already.

I am thinking about doing the local county fair or two coming up in September. I am trying to decide if I should be inside or out, if I should take pictures or just display pictures and get appointments.

Its not alot of space to take pictures, but if I do, then I could make money on the spot. If I do it outside, then rain could be a problem. if I do it inside, the space is even smaller *by a couple feet* and Ill probably annoy the other business people around me with the flashes.