Hiking Half Dome in Yosemite

bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
edited July 14, 2009 in Landscapes
I've lived in the area for like 20 years, but have never made this brutal hike. :D I now know why.

The photos are light on scenery, and I focused more on the hiking group. Here are a few of my favorites and you can see the complete gallery here.

The lighting was super harsh in a lot of these shots, but a combination of High-ADR and 1-2/3 stop overexposure worked very well. On the other hand, some of the hiking trail was very dark and shaded, so some of these shots were taken at 6400-12800 ISO; I am still so impressed by the noise handling of this camera! Everything was shot with my all time favorite, the 80-200mm 2.8 Nikon(and of course my D700).

587196219_99pe3-XL.jpg

587217849_5gwTf-XL.jpg

587223092_XGAJf-XL.jpg

587207980_LMNQh-XL.jpg

587203317_gJbjx-XL.jpg

587218500_baSp5-XL.jpg

587219673_dWxhN-XL.jpg

587220304_SRMJw-XL.jpg

587216045_SmYke-XL.jpg

587217409_LUBvc-XL.jpg

587208139_aiKRi-XL.jpg

587222179_bBYXt-XL.jpg

587205439_xNZCM-XL.jpg

587222365_MZvGn-XL.jpg

587323979_Dspqt-XL.jpg

587208734_YQw4j-XL.jpg

587220515_K5Tfc-XL.jpg

587302393_rAZa5-XL.jpg

587301810_7A7NQ-XL.jpg

587305800_xHW22-XL.jpg

587313726_H8azm-X2.jpg

587309763_wpAtd-XL.jpg

587320518_cANc8-XL.jpg

587319565_kU2tb-XL.jpg

587310458_2q5SS-XL.jpg

587324503_3wqRd-XL.jpg

587314201_NMzUy-XL.jpg

587306127_HxSDH-XL.jpg

And a 7 shot pano:

587335166_Am6Mf-X2.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Re: the first photo and the sign, what is it that's 340 miles away? lol3.gif

Great photos and portraits of your family, and what a great view! This one is my favorite:
    587310458_2q5SS-S.jpg
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Re: the first photo and the sign, what is it that's 340 miles away? lol3.gif

Great photos and portraits of your family, and what a great view! This one is my favorite:

It's actually 340km/211mi. :) It's the trail to Mt. Whitney.

I really like your fav pick as well! I can't wait to do this hike again and bring some speedlights and pocket wizards. Especially for the cave/cliff shot.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Awesome job! I love documentary picts like these, especially since the quality is just so fantastic! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    What a fantastic series and a fantastic documentary! These shots really draw you in – you feel like you are part of the hike. Nice job!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 11, 2009
    Beautiful shots. I like your shallow DOF treatment in many of them as well. I need to remember to do more of that myself. I'm also very impressed you hauled your DSLR up to the top of half-dome. bowdown.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    the lighting amazes me, you made it look like it was a perfect overcast day.
    edited July 11, 2009
    Thanks guys!

I have always liked using to DOF to add some drama to a scene. Lugging the lenses that allow me to do that is a different story. :) The D700 is a godsend for those stark, bright sunny days on the trail. Up there Auto/High ADR is a must between the hours of 9AM-4PM. :)

Next time I will rent/buy one of those new 14-24mm Nikons. :D I think some wide angle shots, coupled with some wireless speedlights will really add some drama to my storytelling. I would love to get a near fisheye closeup of my hike team inside the devils chair ledge....hide some speedlights behind the rocks and bounce one off the caves ceiling....I can't wait!
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Just posted this on your other thread....

Great "trip report"! Did 'The Dome' 3 times, once as a backpacking trip and twice as a day hike. Thanks for the memories!
  • IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Some nice pictures! I'm not scared of heights but those cliffs would worry me.

Image quality is superb, almost makes me consider a D700 for myself!

Ian
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    These is a great set!!!! Very interesting pictures!!! :)
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Great shots...................................

How long did the hike take you?

Sam
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 11, 2009
    Thanks guys!

Next time I will rent/buy one of those new 14-24mm Nikons. :D I think some wide angle shots, coupled with some wireless speedlights will really add some drama to my storytelling. I would love to get a near fisheye closeup of my hike team inside the devils chair ledge....hide some speedlights behind the rocks and bounce one off the caves ceiling....I can't wait!

The 14-24 is pretty heavy but well worth it :)

The park is in fine shape too...I just got home and it's easily as green as I've ever seen it in July--and it sort of seems as if there are fewer people too--that could have been the late week arrival for us.

Gorgeous pics. I will add my favorite is also the shot schmoo chose.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited July 13, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Great shots...................................

How long did the hike take you?

Sam

Roughly 12 hours...including breaks, stops, and pep talks.
    edited July 13, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    The 14-24 is pretty heavy but well worth it :)

The park is in fine shape too...I just got home and it's easily as green as I've ever seen it in July--and it sort of seems as if there are fewer people too--that could have been the late week arrival for us.

Gorgeous pics. I will add my favorite is also the shot schmoo chose.

I need to get one of those frontpack/holsters for my camera. The weight was definitely after about mile 5. Next time, with both my 80-200, and the 14-24 I will be in dire need of some good support. :)

I used to work for DNC(they run the park), and I must agree with you. The park was so beautiful on the way in, and during the hike. Better than I've seen it in awhile. I really wanted to grab some shots on the way out, but my hiking crew wouldn't hear of it...Burger King was calling. :)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    So very very good. clap.gif
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Simply stunning shots... thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed this set thumb.gif
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    These are REALLY good images. I understand when you say that the lighting was harsh, but boy, you totally got some awesome images- perhaps the best I have seen of this hike. Really gives a feel of being there in person. I have been to Yosemite twice and have been meaning to hike up to half dome- both times my friends chickened out (can we say 'chicken'?)!

Seriously nice documentary work and great images. I will def go next summer (sans my delicate friends)....rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 13, 2009
    These are spectacular. Some of them make me dizzy just looking at them. rolleyes1.gifNo, seriously, I would love to hike this trail once and look over the edge of the precipice and climb that peculiar track up a rocky slope. You did a very good job by including people in the photos as they add interest and give scale to the whole thing. clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited July 13, 2009
    I need to get one of those frontpack/holsters for my camera. The weight was definitely after about mile 5. Next time, with both my 80-200, and the 14-24 I will be in dire need of some good support. :)

You forgot to mention that first mile or so is kind of tough on the way back...lol3.gif

Have you been over to the Mirror Lake rockfall? Ended up there on Friday. Wow. I knew about those above Happy Isles but not ML. Amazing. Smells like a lumberyard--fresh cut wood there.

I think if I were going to take a lens, It'd have to be the 24-70 and maybe the 80-200.
    edited July 13, 2009
    Everyone...thanks so much for great comments! :) I really appreciate it! For those of you that are considering hiking HD anytime soon, feel free to PM me and maybe I can join you! A little photographers expedition would be fun!

With regard the the first mile being difficult, I must agree; although, I think it's more of a mental challenge than a physical one. In the middle of my descent down th cables, my camera strap actually got caught on someones trekking pole that was sticking way out of their backpack. Scared the heck out of me to start getting pulled down the side a mountain by the strap of my $4500 camera.... :) ....but, a quick and firm "STOP" to the kind foreigner solved things in a jiffy.

I have not been over to Mirror Lake, I will have to put that on my to-do list.
    edited July 13, 2009
    I have not been over to Mirror Lake, I will have to put that on my to-do list.

Pssst....

588518495_hw2CJ-M.jpg
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009

I used to work for DNC(they run the park), and I must agree with you. The park was so beautiful on the way in, and during the hike. Better than I've seen it in awhile. I really wanted to grab some shots on the way out, but my hiking crew wouldn't hear of it...Burger King was calling. :)

The Burger King in Mariposa? That's were I stop on my way home. :D
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    WOW, those are, without a doubt, some of the coolest pictures I have ever seen from Yosemite!!!! Really great!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Howe Creative PhotographyHowe Creative Photography Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Wow, those are some AWESOME pictures! The colors are amazing and the scenery is breath-taking! Great job!
    Bridget:ivar

Nikon D80
    Nikon D300s (on it's way)
    Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
    Tamron 18-200mm
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tamron 90mm macro
    some lights and backgrounds

edited July 14, 2009
    Actually, it was the burger king in Oakhurst. :) It'd probably be Happy Burger(biggest menu ANYWHERE) if we were going through Mariposa.

Thanks ront & Howe. :)

So...I think I will have to try for Mirror Lake next time, when I get the 14-24...see what kind of shot's I can come up with.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Fabulous series of photos. What an amazing trip. clap.gifclap.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    OMG! I was getting nervous just looking at some of your shots. especially on the climb when you are shooting back down the face. Really nice photos all the way.
    edited July 14, 2009
    So...I think I will have to try for Mirror Lake next time, when I get the 14-24...see what kind of shot's I can come up with.

Hurry--it's almost empty (and there are tons of mosquitoes).
    edited July 14, 2009
    Doug Solis wrote:
    OMG! I was getting nervous just looking at some of your shots. especially on the climb when you are shooting back down the face. Really nice photos all the way.

You think YOU were nervous.... :D
    edited July 14, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Hurry--it's almost empty (and there are tons of mosquitoes).

Maybe next year then...or maybe this winter...that's gotta be scenic. :D