Options

Hoover Dam Bypass Milestone

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited July 30, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Here's something you don't see every day.

588913960_bB4Am-XL.jpg

The bridge construction over the Colorado River at the Hoover Dam was started in 2004 and is almost done five years later. The bridge is part of the larger dam bypass which is scheduled to open in late 2010. Currently travelers to Las Vegas from Arizona must drive at 15 MPH directly on the Hoover Dam which is always full of tourists and is a real mess. The bypass will knock anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours off the trip to Vegas depending on traffic. So needless to say, we're really looking forward to it. I've been following the the construction progress for the past three years that I've lived in the area. Every time I go over the dam there's something new.

Tonight I was returning from some shopping in Las Vegas, I came around a corner and was amazed to see that the supporting arch on the bridge is fully connected now! I'd been watching the arch grow from each side of the river for many months, and just today they inserted the last piece I'm told. That's a huge milestone. And then, just as I was passing over the dam, a shower of red sparks rained down from the bridge and I realized "a dude is up there welding the two halves of the bridge together!!!" :wow BUT... you cannot stop your car on the dam. So I had to keep going a fairly long way up the hill away from the dam to get to a parking lot. I grabbed my gear and trotted down toward the dam in the 100F heat. As I approached the dam, I tried my best to avoid looking at the sign that said "DAM CLOSED TO PEDESTRIANS AFTER DARK", and I pondered the existential definition of darkness as I continued onward. I could see the dude was done welding, but I was going to get a shot anyhow. I picked my spot, and just as I was setting up, the dude started welding again! :clap I managed to fire off a few quick shots before getting busted by the cops. :bwg So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

Here's a shot from the parking lot where I had to park. You can see how far it was down to the center of the dam which is where I took the first shot above.
588914477_qArXH-XL.jpg

Anyway, I'm pretty jazzed about these shots because I feel like I've captured an historic event.

Thanks for looking.
-joel

Comments

• Options
    jsruccijsrucci Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Nice shots!
    Joel, those are some awesome shots. I'm not sure why, but I have a thing for dams and bridges. Unfortunately I've only been able to photography them during the day... I really like those night shots!

A few links to some of mine:

http://jsrucci.smugmug.com/photos/447495180_PaJPk-X3.jpg

http://jsrucci.smugmug.com/photos/447589549_RMdJP-X3.jpg

http://jsrucci.smugmug.com/photos/447695352_F3zsS-X3.jpg

http://jsrucci.smugmug.com/photos/562909108_sUoEh-X3.jpg

http://jsrucci.smugmug.com/photos/575924997_NLgq8-X3.jpg

http://jsrucci.smugmug.com/photos/575925423_KWfVM-X3.jpg
    Steve

http://www.steverucci.com

Use this code to get a discount when joining Smugmug: FmsEHhiPzBxic
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Thanks, Steve. You've got some killer shots of the Glen Canyon Dam in there thumb.gifthumb (For those who don't know, the GCD is the next dam up stream from the Hoover Dam.)

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    What do they say about timing being everything? Fabulous pictures, and as you point out, quite a unique event! Nice job. The only time I've been in that location was over 20 years ago, and even then it was like a zoo, but I seem to remember the water level in Lake Mead being much higher than shown in your second picture…

…and Steve, I've a similar fascination of bridges and dams; nice set of pictures!

Thanks for sharing!
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Here's something you don't see every day.

The bridge construction over the Colorado River at the Hoover Dam was started in 2004 and is almost done five years later. The bridge is part of the larger dam bypass which is scheduled to open in late 2010. Currently travelers to Las Vegas from Arizona must drive at 15 MPH directly on the Hoover Dam which is always full of tourists and is a real mess. The bypass will knock anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours off the trip to Vegas depending on traffic. So needless to say, we're really looking forward to it. I've been following the the construction progress for the past three years that I've lived in the area. Every time I go over the dam there's something new.

Tonight I was returning from some shopping in Las Vegas, I came around a corner and was amazed to see that the supporting arch on the bridge is fully connected now! I'd been watching the arch grow from each side of the river for many months, and just today they inserted the last piece I'm told. That's a huge milestone. And then, just as I was passing over the dam, a shower of red sparks rained down from the bridge and I realized "a dude is up there welding the two halves of the bridge together!!!" :wow BUT... you cannot stop your car on the dam. So I had to keep going a fairly long way up the hill away from the dam to get to a parking lot. I grabbed my gear and trotted down toward the dam in the 100F heat. As I approached the dam, I tried my best to avoid looking at the sign that said "DAM CLOSED TO PEDESTRIANS AFTER DARK", and I pondered the existential definition of darkness as I continued onward. I could see the dude was done welding, but I was going to get a shot anyhow. I picked my spot, and just as I was setting up, the dude started welding again! clap.gif I managed to fire off a few quick shots before getting busted by the cops. :bwg So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

Here's a shot from the parking lot where I had to park. You can see how far it was down to the center of the dam which is where I took the first shot above.

Anyway, I'm pretty jazzed about these shots because I feel like I've captured an historic event.

Thanks for looking.
    -joel

WOW :wow WOW again even :wow
    Having actually seen Hoover Dam twice in the past, minus the Bridge Construction these images are so easy for me to remember what it looked like previously.

That is one massive span they have constructed there Joel.
    Your shots are awesome, they have they Sci-Fi feel to them,
    like when is the Space Ship going to land ??? rolleyes1.gif

I'd be thrilled too if I was you clap.gif :ivar clap.gif
    Excellent Post, Awesome Shots !

... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Very cool shots Joelclap.gifclap.gif , but "shopping in Vegas"?headscratch.gif

Great shots Steveclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif azzaro
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    What do they say about timing being everything? Fabulous pictures, and as you point out, quite a unique event! Nice job. The only time I've been in that location was over 20 years ago, and even then it was like a zoo, but I seem to remember the water level in Lake Mead being much higher than shown in your second picture…

…and Steve, I've a similar fascination of bridges and dams; nice set of pictures!

Thanks for sharing!
    - Wil

Thanks, Wil. Yep, timing is everything. nod.gif

The water level in Lake Mead is alarmingly low. Not sure what the actual figure is, but it's got to be at least 30' down.

BTW, love your sig quote. rolleyes1.gif
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    WOW :wow WOW again even :wow
    Having actually seen Hoover Dam twice in the past, minus the Bridge Construction these images are so easy for me to remember what it looked like previously.

That is one massive span they have constructed there Joel.
    Your shots are awesome, they have they Sci-Fi feel to them,
    like when is the Space Ship going to land ??? rolleyes1.gif

I'd be thrilled too if I was you clap.gif :ivar clap.gif
    Excellent Post, Awesome Shots !

... Skippy :D

Thanks, Skippy. Yeah, this area certainly does have "another world" kind of feel. It's an incredible place as you know.

Funny, in three years this is the first time I've bothered to stop and take a proper picture (I have tele'd a few tourists in the past while sitting in traffic though. mwink.gif)

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Very cool shots Joelclap.gifclap.gif , but "shopping in Vegas"?headscratch.gif

REI, baby! :ivar
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Great dam shots!!!

So... Is Megatron really in there? :D
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Amazing pictures and great timing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,273 moderator
    edited July 12, 2009
    These are fabulous!

--- Denise
  • Options
    While I'm WaitingWhile I'm Waiting Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Wow!!! Love them!!!! wings.gif
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Spectacular!clap.gif

Thank you for making the effort to capture the shot! I know the walk down is not the most pleasant one to make.
    Duke
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    *mint*
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Tripped out shots!
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Howdy KDog,

What a spectacular image, and love the story, you took the chance and the end result was something that you'll always remember.

Just am in awe of the lighting and the amount of details all through the whole image, even in the dark or shadow areas.

Very nicely done!!!

I'd say someone will want this for their Conference Room or Living Room!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gif azzaro

Thanks, Azzaro. :D

-joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Great dam shots!!!

So... Is Megatron really in there? :D
    Thanks, Neal. You don't want to know. :wow

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Milan wrote:
    Amazing pictures and great timing! thumb.gif

Thanks, Milan. You just never know what's going to happen, which is why you always bring your camera. nod.gif

-joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    These are fabulous!

--- Denise
    Thank you, Denise. I appreciate you checking in.

-joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Wow!!! Love them!!!! wings.gif

Thanks, glad you liked 'em and thanks for the comment.

-joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    dixonduke wrote:
    Spectacular!clap.gif

Thank you for making the effort to capture the shot! I know the walk down is not the most pleasant one to make.

Thanks! The walk wasn't so bad, it was the anticipation that was killing me.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    *mint*
    Oh yay, I got the coveted "Andy *mint* award! clap.gif

Thank you, sir! :D

-joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    Tripped out shots!

Thanks, Walter. That whole dam area is pretty trippy, eh? eek7.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy KDog,

What a spectacular image, and love the story, you took the chance and the end result was something that you'll always remember.

Just am in awe of the lighting and the amount of details all through the whole image, even in the dark or shadow areas.

Very nicely done!!!

I'd say someone will want this for their Conference Room or Living Room!!

Hey Craig, thanks a bunch man. Glad you liked the pics AND the story. clap.gif

You are right, the buzz from this shot is going to last a long time. I'm sure we'll hang this one up at home, and where else it ends up remains to be seen.

Thanks again for your kind remarks.
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    :D

589820611_GGXRC-L.jpg
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Neal. You don't want to know. :wow

Cheers,
    -joel

Well, I was going to say "DAM! Those are some great shots!" but I figured I better not! :D
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    clap.gifthumb.gif :ivar wings.gif :jawdrop

Nicely done my friend!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Joel, these are excellent. Thanks for sharing!!