Options

Hoover Dam Bypass Milestone

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Howdy Joel
    First off KUDOS on the cover photo!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Those are absolutely fabulous images well done, well done, well done!
    As for "trotting" down there at 100 deg. F , you're a better man than I :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Congrats Joel!! clap.gif

Super cool photo, and even better that it got you on the front page of the paper!! thumb.gif

I'm curious how that process works... did you have to submit it to them and say "Hey, I've got a photo you might like to use!" or did they find it on their own and ask you for it?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 13, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    clap.gifthumb.gif :ivar wings.gif :jawdrop

Nicely done my friend!

Thanks, buddy! :D Maybe we'll have to go over the dam on the way home from Toroweap. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Joel, these are excellent. Thanks for sharing!!

My pleasure, and thank you for your comment, Mitchel. thumb.gif

-joel
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Howdy Joel
    First off KUDOS on the cover photo!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Those are absolutely fabulous images well done, well done, well done!
    As for "trotting" down there at 100 deg. F , you're a better man than I :D

Thanks, Jack! Hey, but it's a dry heat. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Congrats Joel!! clap.gif

Super cool photo, and even better that it got you on the front page of the paper!! thumb.gif

I'm curious how that process works... did you have to submit it to them and say "Hey, I've got a photo you might like to use!" or did they find it on their own and ask you for it?
    Thanks, Chris! It happened just like the first way you said it. I emailed a small version of it yesterday and asked if they were interested. I've had several pictures in the Miner already so they know my name. But I gotta tell ya, it was a real rush seeing it on the front page like that. I'm amazed at how well it looked, frankly.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Chris! It happened just like the first way you said it. I emailed a small version of it yesterday and asked if they were interested. I've had several pictures in the Miner already so they know my name. But I gotta tell ya, it was a real rush seeing it on the front page like that. I'm amazed at how well it looked, frankly.

Cheers,
    -joel

It's gotta be exhilirating to see it printed on the front page! Congrats again, and thanks for the info, I'll have to check with the local here and try getting something in myself! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 13, 2009
    Great captures Joel.

I was there in October '08 and what I find astounding is the progress between then and now. Here's what it looked like nine months ago:

590019664_k2pVF-L-0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Hey, great shot yourself, Angelo! thumb.gif That makes a nice addition to the thread. The B&W treatment give it such a classic look.

Thanks,
    -joel
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Howdy Joel,

Had to pop back in and say Congratulations on a Well Deserved Front Page.

I'd sure be sending one to the Boys Building that Dam, with something as Special as that one, they might want a Monster Print in the Presidents Office.

Again, what a stunning Image!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Thanks again Craig. Yeah, I need to contact the bridge construction company and the dam authority and see if anybody is interested.

Now the hard part: The requests are already starting to roll in for prints. So I gotta set prices for this thing, and I have no clue how much to charge. I have a couple of other shots as well that need prices like my Sedona moon shot I got a week ago. I guess I should start seeing what other folks charge for this sort of thing. This dam shot is of historical significance, so might price higher than say a pretty landscape, but who knows... ne_nau.gif

Thanks,
    -joel
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks again Craig. Yeah, I need to contact the bridge construction company and the dam authority and see if anybody is interested.

Now the hard part: The requests are already starting to roll in for prints. So I gotta set prices for this thing, and I have no clue how much to charge. I have a couple of other shots as well that need prices like my Sedona moon shot I got a week ago. I guess I should start seeing what other folks charge for this sort of thing. This dam shot is of historical significance, so might price higher than say a pretty landscape, but who knows... ne_nau.gif

Thanks,
    -joel

That is a definite tough call my friend. You need to decide how and who will do the printing first so you know what your upfront cost is. Sizes, papers, canvas, etc.

Have to find that fine line of not over or under pricing yourself. You sure are finding yourself some good opportunities though this year!! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    kdog wrote:

Thanks,
    -joel

Sweeet! Congrats!

It's a good thing the paper printed your name on the photo credit. My local paper will only put "Courtesy Photo" whenever they use a photo that came from anyone other than their own staff.

I don't know what kind of requests you are receiving, but I wouldn't sell anything smaller than 8 x 10. Honestly, with something like that, I would go larger than 8 x 10. :)
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Sweeet! Congrats!

It's a good thing the paper printed your name on the photo credit. My local paper will only put "Courtesy Photo" whenever they use a photo that came from anyone other than their own staff.
    Thanks, man. I can't believe anybody would actually contribute a photo to a newspaper that doesn't give photo-credits. That is incredibly poor behavior that shouldn't be rewarded.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    That is a definite tough call my friend. You need to decide how and who will do the printing first so you know what your upfront cost is. Sizes, papers, canvas, etc.

Have to find that fine line of not over or under pricing yourself. You sure are finding yourself some good opportunities though this year!! thumb.gif

Thanks, Aaron. Printing costs are fixed, so that part is easy. It's pricing your markup that's the hard part. And yeah, it's been a good photo month for me for some reason. About time. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Wowow, nice timing and nice image. Were you the only one there to photograph this? You didnt see anyone else?

pricing: Ive been working on my Jedi mind tricks to try and get a few extra Million.....but its going slow...good luck on finding a price.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, man. I can't believe anybody would actually contribute a photo to a newspaper that doesn't give photo-credits. That is incredibly poor behavior that shouldn't be rewarded.

Cheers,
    -joel

I agree and I do not contribute to this particular newspaper. The only time I did was for a couple's wedding announcement and I insisted that if they were to publish this photo that they had to put my name.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Wowow, nice timing and nice image. Were you the only one there to photograph this? You didnt see anyone else?

pricing: Ive been working on my Jedi mind tricks to try and get a few extra Million.....but its going slow...good luck on finding a price.

Thanks, Aaron. There was one other couple on the dam with a tripod when I drove by. They were gone by the time I walked back to shoot, but I'll bet they got some pretty good shots. I'm sure there were others as well before them.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Well, I happened across the slides of my visit to the Hoover dam taken in June 1987; check out the water levels (I didn't imagine it!)

591160573_G4ggU-L-1.jpg

591161711_B24pL-L-1.jpg

…I don't want to hi-jack your thread (if you think these are inappropriate, then I'll remove them!)

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    …I don't want to hi-jack your thread (if you think these are inappropriate, then I'll remove them!)

- Wil

No, not at all, Wil. Great shots and they have historical value here. It's almost tragic how low the water level is. :cry

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 14, 2009
    Joel:

I wouldn't offer in any size smaller than 20x30 and start pricing at $75, minimum thumb.gif

great job on the capture and the publication clap.gif
  • Options
    anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Joel,

Wow! Great grab! Are you willing to share any details? Time of night, length of exposure, etc....

-joe
    Joe Ercoli
    My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    :D589820611_GGXRC-M.jpg

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

And by the way, the water level is down over 100ft.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    Joel:

I wouldn't offer in any size smaller than 20x30 and start pricing at $75, minimum thumb.gif

great job on the capture and the publication clap.gif

Thanks, Angelo! Not a bad idea on the print pricing. I do have a Realtor who contacted me (via the newpaper) wants one around 12x18 though. So maybe I probably should have a few sizes. Not everybody has the wall space for a 20x30. I don't think I do. eek7.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    anvilimage wrote:
    Joel,

Wow! Great grab! Are you willing to share any details? Time of night, length of exposure, etc....

-joe

Thanks, Joe. Time was around 8:30 PM, just getting dark. I put it in AV mode and fired off a few shots. Average exposure maybe 15seconds. Usual stuff, really. The place is just so cool it's hard to get a bad shot.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

And by the way, the water level is down over 100ft.
    100ft! Yikes, not good. :nah

Thanks, Bill!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    sixdaemonbagsixdaemonbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Absolutely gorgeous shots!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Very kool, F-stop! thumb.gifclap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    :D

589820611_GGXRC-L.jpg

This picture reminds me of war of the worlds. :)
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Very kool, F-stop! thumb.gifclap.gif

Thanks, Aperture. See ya soon.

-joel