Toroweap Sunrise

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited July 22, 2009 in Landscapes
Well, the Toroweap shoot this weekend that Aaron Nelson organized has come and gone. However, the memories and the pictures will last a lifetime. It was great seeing this location and hanging out with friends old and new. Major thanks and kudos to Aaron for taking the initiative to organize the trip. :bow

Lots of pix to go through and process. But I figured I'd toss this one up just so that I can be first. :wink

596132353_bx9Tg-XL.jpg

Cheers,
-joel

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    ...and I'll be the first to respond...WoW. I can't wait to see the rest! That sky is really something. What time was it in the a.m.? Did you use a tripod; what were the settings?
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Way to go! Not easy to get good pics of that place even as amazing of a place it is.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Well, the Toroweap shoot this weekend that Aaron Nelson organized has come and gone. However, the memories and the pictures will last a lifetime. It was great seeing this location and hanging out with friends old and new. Major thanks and kudos to Aaron for taking the initiative to organize the trip. bowdown.gif

Lots of pix to go through and process. But I figured I'd toss this one up just so that I can be first. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

It was great to hang out with you again, F-stop! thumb.gif
    Re: picture: easy on the blending. I does look overprocessed.ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 20, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    ...and I'll be the first to respond...WoW. I can't wait to see the rest! That sky is really something. What time was it in the a.m.? Did you use a tripod; what were the settings?

Thanks, Eia. Sunrise was at 6:30 AM or so. Yes to the tripod. Three shots blended in Photomatix, F22, ISO100, exposures were under a second.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 20, 2009
    Way to go! Not easy to get good pics of that place even as amazing of a place it is.

Thanks! So you've been there as well then. Not an easy place to get to, eh? mwink.gif

Thanks for the comment!
    -joel
    edited July 20, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It was great to hang out with you again, F-stop! thumb.gif
    Re: picture: easy on the blending. I does look overprocessed.ne_nau.gif

Hey Nik, it was great to see you again and to hang out and shoot pics. thumb.gif

Not sure why you feel this shot looks over-processed. Looks ok to me.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Love the composition and colors in this one joel. Did you use exposure fusion or one of the tone mapping procedures in photomatix? (I would guess Detail Enhancer from the somewhat surreal effect produced)

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Amazing how you thought to open up the canyon by getting so close to the edge...crazy, yes you are!

A bunch of guys together you would think we would find arguement with politics, or football, but no, we argue photomatic vs. PSeek7.gif Like I said before I do like this HDR look and I like your work! I just do it different...

my only suggestion would to maybe add some luminance to the clouds.

It was wonderful to finally meet you, and I look forward to the next time!wings.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Didn't make it to Toroweap :cry
    Didn't get to meet many people I was looking forward to meeting :cry
    Didn't get to hang with Nik and Joel again :cry

Now I have to sit here and see shots like this come up over the next week. :bash

Nice stot Joel. Can't wait to view this at home on a better monitor. Look forward to seeing many more shots from this shoot I was so close yet so far from being apart of.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Awesome shot, Joel! thumb.gif

A shot like that makes the heat worth it, if you ask me!
    I love the size of the sun star you got here!

Great meeting you and I'm lookin' forward to see more of your shots!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited July 20, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Love the composition and colors in this one joel. Did you use exposure fusion or one of the tone mapping procedures in photomatix? (I would guess Detail Enhancer from the somewhat surreal effect produced)

Thanks, Jack. Yes, you're right. Although I think with 3.2, they just call it HDR now. Fusion is actually the old Tone Compressor. I think that's right. This was the first image I processed with 3.2, so wasn't quite sure what I was doing. eek7.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 20, 2009
    Amazing how you thought to open up the canyon by getting so close to the edge...crazy, yes you are!

A bunch of guys together you would think we would find arguement with politics, or football, but no, we argue photomatic vs. PSeek7.gif Like I said before I do like this HDR look and I like your work! I just do it different...

my only suggestion would to maybe add some luminance to the clouds.

It was wonderful to finally meet you, and I look forward to the next time!wings.gif
    Hey, Aaron. Thanks for the comments. It was great to finally meet you in person as well. And thanks again for being a shootout host par-excellence. thumb.gif

Not a bad idea on the clouds. I'm going to reprocess this shot. Turns out I screwed it up by leaving two exposures out of the image. It was actually a five shot HDR and I discovered this morning I used three. eek7.gif I guess I was in too much of a hurry to go first. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 20, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:

Now I have to sit here and see shots like this come up over the next week. :bash

Nice stot Joel. Can't wait to view this at home on a better monitor. Look forward to seeing many more shots from this shoot I was so close yet so far from being apart of.
    Thanks, Aaron!

Yeah, what a BUMMER about your car woes. You got so close! But honestly, it sounds like you guys turned lemons into lemonade and found some great shooting opportunities yourselves. I won't spoil the surprise for the others, but I know you got some great stuff.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Wow
    Great picture, I think I was standing right next to you when you took this one ... if I get something even close to this I'll be in heaven
    edited July 20, 2009
    sgonen wrote:
    Great picture, I think I was standing right next to you when you took this one ... if I get something even close to this I'll be in heaven

Thanks, man. Not only were you standing right next to me, but you pointed out the puffy clouds to me that had just caught the light. So thanks for that! thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 20, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Awesome shot, Joel! thumb.gif

A shot like that makes the heat worth it, if you ask me!
    I love the size of the sun star you got here!

Great meeting you and I'm lookin' forward to see more of your shots!
    Hey Chris, thanks a bunch, man. I was pretty happy with that star as well. No blowouts on the sun either. deal.gif

Great meeting you and and hanging out in heat. See you again some time.

-joel
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    No blowouts on the sun either. deal.gif

-joel

eek7.gif:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Wow, talk about an inspiring shot! I'm inspired to convince my wife to move across the country. rolleyes1.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:

Same here, a lot easier to shake loose for a weekend within a days drive than a days flight unfortunately. Looks like you all had a great time!

Joel - perfect composition on this shot and the diffraction star is money :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Way to go Joel. Beautiful clap.gifclap.gif

It was great meeting you. Hope we get to do it again some time.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif azzaro
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Very nice Joel!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Sweet one Joel! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I was thinking of you guys while sitting on the beach enjoying the cool ocean breeze...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Joel, great catch! Did Aaron plan this date specifically so the sun could rise precisely at that point? The location is perfect thumb.gif

Compositionally I think this shot is spotless. It looks a little underexposed though, maybe because the sun was so bright? With a shot like this I think it's OK to really stretch that histogram and let the light and colors fly!
    edited July 21, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Wow, talk about an inspiring shot! I'm inspired to convince my wife to move across the country. rolleyes1.gif

Hey Bryan, thanks a lot, man. As I think I've mentioned before, I'm originally from MA myself. So I think that makes me qualified to say, yes you should convince your wife to move out west. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 21, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Same here, a lot easier to shake loose for a weekend within a days drive than a days flight unfortunately. Looks like you all had a great time!

Joel - perfect composition on this shot and the diffraction star is money :D

Thanks, Ron. Your comments mean a lot.

The trip was a lot of fun, and I'm glad I went. Someday you and I will end up meeting at some shoot somewhere, and I'll look forward to that.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Way to go Joel. Beautiful clap.gifclap.gif

It was great meeting you. Hope we get to do it again some time.

Thanks, Dan! Great meeting you as well, and I appreciate the comment. Oh, we'll do it again some time. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 21, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gif azzaro

Thank you, sir! And it was a pleasure to meet and shoot with you.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 21, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Very nice Joel!!

Ron
    Thanks, Ron. I appreciate it! thumb.gif

-joel
    edited July 21, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Sweet one Joel! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I was thinking of you guys while sitting on the beach enjoying the cool ocean breeze...

Oh, man. You really know how to hurt a guy. :D

Thanks, Bill. Really appreciate the comment.

-joel