Toroweap Sunrise

2»

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 21, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Joel, great catch! Did Aaron plan this date specifically so the sun could rise precisely at that point? The location is perfect thumb.gif

Compositionally I think this shot is spotless. It looks a little underexposed though, maybe because the sun was so bright? With a shot like this I think it's OK to really stretch that histogram and let the light and colors fly!

Thank you, Schmoo! Yes, you should have seen Aaron out there with his Sunrise Charts and Compass telling everyone where to stand!

Just kidding. :D Actually, I really did that when I got my moonrise shot at Sedona a couple of weeks ago. It does work. In this case, it was just dumb luck the way things were aligned as far as I know. As you know, sometimes you just put yourself out there, and things just happen. deal.gif

Thanks for the critique on the processing. I'm do for a rework on it and your comments will be very helpful. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thank you, Schmoo! Yes, you should have seen Aaron out there with his Sunrise Charts and Compass telling everyone where to stand!

Just kidding. :D Actually, I really did that when I got my moonrise shot at Sedona a couple of weeks ago. It does work. In this case, it was just dumb luck the way things were aligned as far as I know. As you know, sometimes you just put yourself out there, and things just happen. deal.gif

Thanks for the critique on the processing. I'm do for a rework on it and your comments will be very helpful. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Laughing.gif, star charts... everyone knows I cant read let alone read star charts...

Schmoo, I knew it was going to be between the two points, but didnt know it was going to crest right on the far right ones point, which was like Joel said...things happen, and it WAS a bonus, I got a comp that i didnt expect with the telephoto!!! 600mm (thanks to Shaun and his 2X)
    Aaron Nelson
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Very nice work, Joel. I like the composition and the exposure was handled nicely.
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Sweet one Joel! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I was thinking of you guys while sitting on the beach enjoying the cool ocean breeze...
    Bill,

:whew We had our own ocean breeze, but it was in the form of a spray bottle with a battery powered fan.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 22, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Well, the Toroweap shoot this weekend that Aaron Nelson organized has come and gone. However, the memories and the pictures will last a lifetime. It was great seeing this location and hanging out with friends old and new. Major thanks and kudos to Aaron for taking the initiative to organize the trip. bowdown.gif

Lots of pix to go through and process. But I figured I'd toss this one up just so that I can be first. mwink.gif

596132353_bx9Tg-XL.jpg

Cheers,
    -joel
    Those clouds were the cats meow that morning weren't they!?

I am so pleased to see you captured that great light, and a star too!!

I will begin to process a few frames by next week. I can only hope to have a few half this nice, Joel.

Good to see you again!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 22, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Very nice work, Joel. I like the composition and the exposure was handled nicely.

Thanks, Danny!

regards,
    -joel
    edited July 22, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Those clouds were the cats meow that morning weren't they!?

I am so pleased to see you captured that great light, and a star too!!

I will begin to process a few frames by next week. I can only hope to have a few half this nice, Joel.

Good to see you again!

Thanks, Jim! Yup, the clouds were pretty darned cool there for a few minutes anyway. GREAT seeing you again as well, and I look forward to see whatcha got. deal.gif

BTW, you were right -- CS4 Camera Profiles are the bees-knees. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 22, 2009
    Ok, based on comments by Schmoo and others, I've had another go at the processing on this shot. I'm still undecided which is better, so help me out and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Reprocessed shot:
    598324221_u2T2G-XL.jpg

Original:
    596132353_bx9Tg-XL.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Joel, I like the re-processed foreground much more. The sky still needs a bit of work imo (less vignette and brighter might help). Either way, they are both excellent. Oh, there are a few distracting specs in the re-processed sky that need to be cloned out. thumb.gif

Dan
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 22, 2009
    Joel, I like what you have done with the canyon walls and the foreground rocks - slightly warmer and brighter, but I prefer the original sky and I think it is still over cooked a bit.

I might dial back the processing of the foreground 10-20% but it is better than your original to my eyes.

This is certainly a shot worth the time to get it spot on!!clap.gif Then print it 30 by 40 inches!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Beautiful HDR work, Joel! Takes my breath away! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com