Dawn Of A New Day

2»

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    If I'm looking at this correctly.....you let different shutter speeds determine exposure?

I did 5 different exposures with f/22 (changing shutter speeds manually) I then merged/tonemapped using photomattix.

Not sure I answered your question.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I did 5 different exposures with f/22 (changing shutter speeds manually) I then merged/tonemapped using photomattix.

Not sure I answered your question.

That's what I was looking for, with the exception of what metering mode were you in? Center-wieghted...spot...etc.

Makes me wonder how you changed shutter speeds between shots...you must have had that rig nailed down pretty good.
    edited July 21, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    That's what I was looking for, with the exception of what metering mode were you in? Center-wieghted...spot...etc.

Makes me wonder how you changed shutter speeds between shots...you must have had that rig nailed down pretty good.

Since I was shooting in manual, there was no metering. I figured out what shutter speeds to use by trial and error and looking at the shots and histograms in the LCD. The f/22 was chosen to have a broad dof and to produce a sun star.

I was careful when changing shutter speeds not to move the "rig".
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Since I was shooting in manual, there was no metering. I figured out what shutter speeds to use by trial and error and looking at the shots and histograms in the LCD. The f/22 was chosen to have a broad dof and to produce a sun star.

I was careful when changing shutter speeds not to move the "rig".

AHHH! (light comes on over Ric's head)

Can you tell I never shoot in manual?

I just wanted to know since you obviously did it all correctly.
    edited July 21, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Awesome shot, Dan!!! thumb.gif

I've only had a chance to glance through my photos, but I'm sure you've got me trumped with this one! The composition is great and the light on the foreground is spectacular!! clap.gif

It was great meeting you and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your shots!!

Thanks so much Chris. It was great meeting you as well. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

Dan
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Awesome! The light on the cliffs really makes this shot for me.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I saw this as your challenge entry and my jaw literally dropped. GORGEOUS.

As I said in one of the other threads about this trip, you guys look like you had an awesome time!!! thumb.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Awesome shot Dan! As others have stated, prefer the first. Looking forward to seeing more from the shoot.
    E
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 22, 2009
    What great light you had there, Dan.

It was nice to meet you and get a chance to talk with you in person.

I can see that I won't need to edit my images what with you and Aaron and Nik all posting alreadythumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 22, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    What great light you had there, Dan.

It was nice to meet you and get a chance to talk with you in person.

I can see that I won't need to edit my images what with you and Aaron and Nik all posting alreadythumb.gif

Thanks Jim. It was indeed great meeting you, and of course you have to edit and post your shots. deal.gifwings.gif

Dan:D
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Fantastic light, colors and composition, Dan! This one has it all! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 22, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Awesome! The light on the cliffs really makes this shot for me.

Thanks Danny.
    edited July 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I saw this as your challenge entry and my jaw literally dropped. GORGEOUS.

As I said in one of the other threads about this trip, you guys look like you had an awesome time!!! thumb.gif

Thanks Diva. So nice to hear from you over here on Landscapes. Congrats on your new 200 mm lens. Yes, this trip was indeed amazing. Everyone got along so well, and of course the venue was beyond belief. Sitting under the gazebo awnings in 105 heat was really tough, but we all got through it. By the way, your entry is really good too. Good luck.

Danny:D
    edited July 22, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Awesome shot Dan! As others have stated, prefer the first. Looking forward to seeing more from the shoot.
    E

Thanks Ethumb.gif
    edited July 22, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Fantastic light, colors and composition, Dan! This one has it all! clap.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Mahesh. Much appreciated.

I think you PNW guys ought to join us here in the SW, and then we can join you guys in the PNW where they actually have water and fog; oh and eagles too. What do saydeal.gif
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Wow, Dan. Awesome shot. I don't know what else to say so I'll leave it at WOW bowdown.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    WOW! What a shot Dan!

I want to re-ask a question that I think Ric asked. What metering mode did you use? Center, Spot, Matrix, etc..? I am just cracking open Freeman's Perfect Exposure and because of this metering modes are on my mind.
    dlplumer wrote:
    Since I was shooting in manual, there was no metering.
    Then again, based upon your answer to Ric (above) I might be way off in my understanding of these things. Are you saying that in manual mode the camera does not meter the scene?headscratch.gif That can't be right. Now I've confused myself again.
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks Mahesh. Much appreciated.

I think you PNW guys ought to join us here in the SW, and then we can join you guys in the PNW where they actually have water and fog; oh and eagles too. What do saydeal.gif

Sounds like a great idea! When and where? :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 22, 2009
    Tiziano wrote:
    WOW! What a shot Dan!

I want to re-ask a question that I think Ric asked. What metering mode did you use? Center, Spot, Matrix, etc..? I am just cracking open Freeman's Perfect Exposure and because of this metering modes are on my mind.

Then again, based upon your answer to Ric (above) I might be way off in my understanding of these things. Are you saying that in manual mode the camera does not meter the scene?headscratch.gif That can't be right. Now I've confused myself again.

Simple Over View

1. In Av mode you set aperture and meter sets shutter speed
    2. In Tv Mode you set shutter speed and meter sets aperture
    3. In M (manual) you set shutter speed AND aperture (meter sets nothing)

Hope that helps

Dan:D
    edited July 22, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Sounds like a great idea! When and where? :D

Those are just details we will have to figure out. Maybe I can get Aaron, Aaron, or ...to organize another SW shoot, and one of you guys can organize a PNW shoot. Let's keep the conversation alive. :D
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Those are just details we will have to figure out. Maybe I can get Aaron, Aaron, or ...to organize another SW shoot, and one of you guys can organize a PNW shoot. Let's keep the conversation alive. :D

anyone is welcome to join:

Photographers Chasing the Light
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=78528747529

(is that link working ok?)

there is not any other event scheduled yet... give us time....Aaron & Aaron or Nelson & Nelson, or Danny & Shimon..etc...etc...
    Aaron Nelson
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    anyone is welcome to join:

Photographers Chasing the Light
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=78528747529

(is that link working ok?)

there is not any other event scheduled yet... give us time....Aaron & Aaron or Nelson & Nelson, or Danny & Shimon..etc...etc...

The link works fine. But all it does is take you to a logon page for Facebook. Is that what you wanted?
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    The link works fine. But all it does is take you to a logon page for Facebook. Is that what you wanted?

If you're already logged into Facebook, or have it set to remember you and not need log in info each time, the link'll take ya straight to the group Aaron set up! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited July 23, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    If you're already logged into Facebook, or have it set to remember you and not need log in info each time, the link'll take ya straight to the group Aaron set up! thumb.gif

What if you don't have or don't want a Facebook account? ne_nau.gifI got rid of mine.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    What if you don't have or don't want a Facebook account? ne_nau.gifI got rid of mine.

:D S.O.L.
    Aaron Nelson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    No Facebook? eek7.gif
    mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited July 23, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    No Facebook? eek7.gif
    mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

ne_nau.gif Got sick and tired of it. Ditto with the MySpace account I had. So I ditched them both.
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Wow, Dan! Great shot. Love the color. Your creation is exactly how I want to remember Toroweap. You've set the bar really high for the rest of us. :D

And yes, YOU are the life of the party. clap.gif
    edited July 23, 2009
    theNOIZ wrote:
    Wow, Dan! Great shot. Love the color. Your creation is exactly how I want to remember Toroweap. You've set the bar really high for the rest of us. :D

And yes, YOU are the life of the party. clap.gif

Thank you so much Shaun. That is so nice of you to say. wings.gif

Dan
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

I started a new topic on the Facebook group for the PNW thing deal.gif