Options

Digital Darkroom Assignment: 5/21 - 6/1

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited June 7, 2004 in Finishing School
Your assignment: Toning

Note: This assignment has been extended until 6/1

Use the photo editing software of your choice to tone an image. You may tone part of the image or all of the image... Its up to you.

As usual, the purpose of this assignment is to help you learn how to use your photo editing software. If you already know a method for toning images, try to find another!

Examples
4419914-M.jpg

4419915-M.jpg
Hints

• The easiest way to create toned images in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements is with a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer. Just make sure the Colorize option is turned on!
  • You can use layer blending modes to tone an image.

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Then There Were Three
    I did this the second I read the assignment. That is taken right outside the back door. I used the hue/saturation method. I had to have books in my lap, but this one I found easily.

Then I did the light vivid thing. I used the paint brush to paint the chosen colors in, so I could leave the dogs their natural color. I left some of the pathway under their feet. I thought it looked better, also that way I can enter it in another assignment for pathways, smile. I just rehomed a dog. I had too many, so this picture is special for me. I did save it to psd.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Nice work ginger thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    Original (from Nome last week.)

4435208-M.jpg

Slightly green (barely noticeable, I see. Shoulda been more aggeressive.)

4435163-M.jpg

And purple.

4435345-M.jpg

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2004
    4459056-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    Beautiful shots and post Sid. How was Alaska??
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Original
    Toned

Very nice work, Greaper. Excellent shot, and a nice touch on the toning. Looks good. nod.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Beautiful shots and post Sid. How was Alaska??

Thanks. The mountains, as always, were beautiful. I didn't have much time to shoot stills, was rolling tape for the project we're doing.

I think I prefer Alaska in February/March - there's daylight but still winter. Great for winter activities, everything looks beautiful.

Also went to the tiny, disappearing town of Shishmaref this time. It's on a barrier island no longer as protected by sea ice and permafrost - it's now a sandbar being gobbled up by each successive storm. It's doomed. Fascinating look at local subsistence culture, though. Carrion air-drying everywhere, once you start looking for it. Would have made some great gross-out shots!
    Sid.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    Toned

4465227-S.jpg[/QUOTE]

hey greaper .. nice work. try it with about a 20-30% opacity - and see what the result looks like ... i'm finding that if i "tone down the toning" i get a better result.

aw
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    toning and cross-toning
    cletus, i hope it's okay if i jump in and give some suggestions?

toning is explained here with some examples
    ***note*** where i say "screen" in that tutorial i really mean "overlay" thumb.gif

cross-toning

this is a nice effect, too

1. convert your image to b&w with your favorite method. there's a ton of info on b&w conversions here

2. now press ctrl-alt-tilde (selects) and then layer>new fill layer>solid color and pick the color you want (try a medium brown). grab the paint bucket and fill the layer.

3. set blending to "color" for this layer and then press ctrl-i

4. make the background layer the active layer and again press ctrl-alt-tilde, and then layer>new fill layer>solid color and pick the color you want (try a slate blue or grey). grab the paint bucket and fill the layer.

5. set blending to "color" for this layer and then press ctrl-i

6. now, play with the opacity sliders for these two toned layers. i usually end up with something like 20-30%, but i've used more and i've used less.

7. you can also press ctrl-l and do a levels adjustment on each toning layer if you need to...

here's a before and after:

color version
    4428622-M.jpg

cross-toned version
    4428620-M.jpg

this mimics a very old b&w darkroom technique, one that i was taught as a kid and i'm very happy to know now as a photoshopper mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    try it with about a 20-30% opacity - and see what the result looks like ... i'm finding that if i "tone down the toning" i get a better result.

aw

Couldn't you have separated this a little more from my comment about "nice touch on the toning" ? umph.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    Hmmm,

Trying to figure this layers stuff out. I couldnt do anything to the opacity on that shot cuz everthing I did I did on one layer.

I am trying to follow what you are saying Andy and I know I just have to play with it some more to understand.

here is another original

4469782-L.jpg

And some after playing with some of the layers

4469781-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2004
    A couple of different versions. I introduced a lot of noise somewhere in the first one. Either too much contrast or too much Selective Black. Dunno, but it's not the first time that processing the shot brought ina lot of noise. I even ran it through Noise Ninja, not much help.

4471434-M.jpg

And on this one I only played with Color Balance and Selective Black.

4471435-M.jpg

Rubbish, I'm afraid.

Greaper, I like the glow you got on the house. nod.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    cletus, i hope it's okay if i jump in and give some suggestions?

toning is explained here with some examples
    ***note*** where i say "screen" in that tutorial i really mean "overlay" thumb.gif
    Thanks Andy thumb.gif

I was looking for a link to that thread when I posted this assignment!
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2004
    Screen, Overlay?
    I find I am using just about everything I know, sometimes in one picture. I think while I am half way through that I would never be able to explain what I have done. Here is one I did today.

But first a question. On the posting here from smugmug, the thing you all prefer, I did one this morning just to see if I could. The photos I did today are not in Smugmug yet, so I will use attachment(s). But I am a little confused on
    1) how you get that really big size you all are posting. The one I posted from smugmug came through as the same size as the attachments have.

2) I am in here, and I want to post. So do I get my post set up, minimize the page, go get one address, come back with it copied down, get it on the post, then minimize again, and so on, for multiple images on one post.

3) My questions start out with the really simple stuff that everyone knows, as that is what is never explained, smile.

Here is one picture I did today. I am trying to take pictures for the pathways challenge, then put at least some hue work in them, so I can use them here, too. And I did my usual church baptisms and a couple of African nuns wanted their pictures taken with a church member. I went to church, did the baptism, ran down the path to the beach, no need to go to the beach, no paths there, then went over to where the shrimp boats dock in a creek, as there is a really good path there.

Then I have some more ideas, but I knew that I was not going to get my husband to go anywhere else today. Came home, and I have been on the computer ever since. I got a sandwich for lunch, but didn't even know it was evening. Am starved.

Oh, I love that sepia bridge thing picture, and I think it is toned fine either way. I love sepia, in general, but haven't done it for this assignment, yet.

ginger

I picked one of the pictures I like least. I did it first, did just about everything under the sun to it. Kept thinking the next thing might actually "help". It looked better before I started messing with it. Actually, I got a lot of good shots that I really questioned the idea of doing anything to them.
    But assignments beckoned.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    This is one I like. I think.
    by ginger, I think this might have just been an overlay.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    Another Marsh Picture
    I do like this one, but it has the same feel as the beach picture. I am getting rid of small people who are in my shots, don't want them there. I can do it when they are very small people.

ginger

This one I called Pathways, and I like it as the water "pathway" in the morsh is right next to the pedestrian pathway. These are working walkways, they are there for the shrimpers. We still have those and this is where they are mostly located, about 5 minutes from my house. (I really did do something to this picture, don't remember what. I find that I like those overlays, or whatever last week's assignment was better than the hues, except as an addition to a picture, a small addition.)
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    This is Green, warning a Green Hue
    My husband said he liked it as he was going upstairs to bed. I remember that the skye was just right, and I didn't get many of those today, I do have skies, just didn't want to figure out how to add them on top of the hues, the overlays and the pathways, along with getting the baptisms out. Is there anything in the world except photography?

Anyway, the sky was fine, but the bottom of the picture was dark, so I did use that rectangular thing to seal off the sky, and I lightened the bottom. Helped a lot. Then I did the green or blue or gold thing, don't remember. But I do remember thinking that if I got the green hue thing, I could just add a bit of green to the marsh grass that is just starting to turn from its brown winter color to the green of summer. It wasn't noticeable in most of my shots, so I added some along the edges here. Maybe I did a gold overlay, still don't know what they word means, I am guessing, then I know I used the hue thing for the grass.
    I was using everything. I always do the more difficult things first, get them out of my system, then I work on the better photos.

Yup, it is a yucky green.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    I like the second one, Ginger. I know what you mean about working on the pics you like the least. For some reason, I do exactly the same thing. Must be some deeper psychological reason for it, eh?

To answer some of your questions... when I'm finished messing with a shot, I save it, then upload it to smugmug. As it's uploading, I work on another image, or maybe in another window, I begin writing my dgrin post.

I almost always have multiple browser windows open. When the piccies are uploaded, I go to smugmug and copy the URL for each one, and put them in my post, where they belong.

You asked how we get different size photos from smugmug. Look at this image. In the purple box you'll see where smugmug ask you what size piccie you want to see. Click on whatever size you want, then copy the URL (right click, Properties, etc. for Windows; right click, Copy Image location for Mozilla based browsers.)

4488160-L.jpg

Large is often obnoxiously large. Medium is what most people use, unless they're especially proud of their shot. naughty.gif Small is a wee bit on the small side.

Here's Small, of a much cropped image.

4251341-S.jpg

Here's the Medium.

4251341-M.jpg

And here's the Large.

4251341-L.jpg

You can also do Original, but that's unusably large. Some folks link to the original, when they're inviting mad croppers (like me!) to play with their shots.
    Sid.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    But first a question. On the posting here from smugmug, the thing you all prefer, I did one this morning just to see if I could. The photos I did today are not in Smugmug yet, so I will use attachment(s). But I am a little confused on
    1) how you get that really big size you all are posting. The one I posted from smugmug came through as the same size as the attachments have.
    Hi Ginger. You can get bigger photos from your smugmug links by uploading larger originals. The reason they are the same size as the attachments is that is your full size. I looked at a few of your smugmugphotos (the Dogs of course!:D ) and they were mostly smaller than 500-600 pixels wide. I'm guessing that you are using Elements to downsize the photos before uploading (or you are shooting at a small original jpeg size in the camera). For most shots on smugmug, the reduced size is OK. But if you'd like to see the odd picture at a larger size try uploading at 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768. My guess is that most people on dgrin have at least that.

Then, as per the last message, simply link to the larger file. What I do is click on the "Share with Friends" link and then right mouse click on the size I want, click copy and eventually paste it in the dialogue box for linking the picture on dgrin.

Another useful technique is that you don't have to minimize the screens as you go back and forth between dgrin and smugmug. Once you have both windows open, simply use ALT-TAB to hop back and forth between any open windows. This way you can keep them at full screen and save a few mouse clicks.

Regards,
    Brad

P.S. I wish I had as much time as you to photograph and work in photoshop! Keep up the great work.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    thumb.gif Good catch, Digi!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    The Assignment: Hues
    OK, I did a bit else, like taking a bird out of a picture, and with the red pelicans, I think I kept most of one of the birds out of the "hue".

Thank you so much for all your answers on my question.

I hope I don't mess up, I am getting tired, I can tell by my typing.

ginger

I am logged in, but they have done something today to block my being able to get the url on my photos, I could do it this morning. So I am going to put each of these photos here, anyway, I am going to attach them again. I have changed my settings so now anyone can rt click, but I still can't.

This is the original of my pelican series, so to speak.

(For attachments they have to be under 117 kbs, that is why I have been resizing them, for here and for e-mail.)

This original picture is cropped considerably from a larger picture. This is more pleasing, IMO. Trust me on that.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    This is the Sepia Toned
    by ginger
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    This photo is of the red toned pelicans
    One was not completely toned in red.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    This is the landing Pelican
    by ginger I only did one of these in a small size. It is sepia, I think.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am logged in, but they have done something today to block my being able to get the url on my photos, I could do it this morning. So I am going to put each of these photos here, anyway, I am going to attach them again. I have changed my settings so now anyone can rt click, but I still can't.
    Hi Ginger,
    I noticed that you were going to unblock the ability for right clicking. Here's what I would do (and if anyone has additional thoughts ...).

1. Create another gallery just for your dgrin postings.
    2. Hide it from public view, but make the URL's available to other sources, allowing sharing, etc. Basically leave it pretty wide open other than the public viewing.
    3. Then copy the images that you want to make available to your messages in this area.

When you want to share something, click on the share "with friends" and you should see something like this:

4498087-L.jpg

Then I right click on the link for the size that I want under the "Message Forums - Inline Links", select "Copy Shortcut", hop back to my message and paste the link.

This way you keep your photos protected except for those that you are posting on the message forums.

Brad

• Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    Thanks, Brad
    Thanks, Brad,

When I wake up, as in my eyes are open without all this "grain" in them, I will pay attention to this stuff again.

I will hope this is there to print out later, should be.

It would be handy, don't know how it could be done, if this stuff could be printed easily without taking the whole page, multi posts and all with it.

Can you already do that?

Oh, last night someone posted about having all sorts of windows open at once. I have a 17" monitor, and I only have one window open at a time, don't actually know how to do otherwise.

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    Toning
    Toning isn't something I've done a lot with in Photoshop, so although I found the "mechanics" quite easy, using it to improve the photo was quite another matter.

The photo I played with was of a vintage caboose taken today as it rolled into the station. I wanted to show a bit of motion, so I used a slower shutter speed. I wasn't quite expecting the result.

After converting the photo to B/W and then adding a color tone, I didn't like the color of the conductor's face and hands. So I masked these areas and softly brought back the underlying original.

Since the sky was very close to being completely blown out, I wanted a sharp contrast between the back of the caboose and the sky, so I added a multiply blending layer copy. This darkened the front too much, so I masked again with a gradient fill in the mask to balance the contrast.

Original

4516943-M.jpg

Toned

4517525-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

It would be handy, don't know how it could be done, if this stuff could be printed easily without taking the whole page, multi posts and all with it.

Can you already do that?

Oh, last night someone posted about having all sorts of windows open at once. I have a 17" monitor, and I only have one window open at a time, don't actually know how to do otherwise.

ginger

1/ Yes, you can print just his post. Click on the number at the top right corner of each post. In this case, his is post #27. When you double click on the #27, the post, all by its lonesome, appears in a new browser window. Print that.
    PS After doing this, you now have 2 browser windows open. naughty.gif

2/ To open a new browser window, just double click on whatever you double click to open your browser in the first place. You know, whatever you do to first get to dgrin. Do it again, and it will open another window. Do it yet again, and you have a third window. Etc.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2004
    Thanks, Sid et al, who have helped me
    Thanks Sid, it can really "pay" to ask a question here. I just now, because of your information, printed two pieces of info with 4 sheets of paper total. In the past it was 15 pages, usually. Nothing short.

I haven't had an occasion to open another browser window here.

But I will try that tomorrow.

Thanks again,

ginger

By the way, I read some of the histories of the people on these forums. I was reading the last group, something with "wide" in it.

I was impressed, if I had known all that stuff before, I would have been too intimidated to really join in here.