4533699-M.jpg

Toned:
    4533700-M.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    Yabbut, can you change the 88A? naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Original (from Nome last week.)

4435208-M.jpg

Slightly green (barely noticeable, I see. Shoulda been more aggeressive.)

4435163-M.jpg

And purple.

4435345-M.jpg

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Beautiful shots Sid.. bet it was quite humbling out there.
    I thought of you whilst flying over Atlanta yesterday.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2004
    Took this picture with my little canon Elf, only 2.5 mp for some daft reason I left my DRebel at home? why?

Anyhow, it's all I have to use til I can get out. The quality is'nt great but I kinda liked the pose... (or rather, unpose)
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2004
    the sepia toned version..
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Now that is really good!! Cool work, Lynn!! The tighter crop and the tone are just the ticket for that image. Outstanding.

The tighter crop really brings the canine into the image and forces the viewers attention to the dogs face more effectively to me. Much stronger image - just go's to show how good an image you can get witha P&S camera!lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SavannahManSavannahMan Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Original

4383486-M.jpg

Toned

4465227-L.jpg
    I love that shot! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    Boy and Dog and Wannabe
    lynnma wrote:

I really like that sepia toned picture, Lynnma (the names here are going to be my downfall), but I wanted to say that I really like that picture.

I bought a DRebel This February, so I am shooting with that now, I am a little spoiled by the flexibility of the lenses.

However, I LOVE my Digital Elph, first one was an S100, broke the lens, so I bought the most recent then, the S230. I have all sorts of reasons to love that camera!

Including it is easy to carry, like you had it with you to take the picture of boy and dog, love it. My Rebel case is cool to carry, too, it is kind of a backpack that isn't. It is what a backpack should be for people who are not serious hikers.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2004
    This digital darkroom stuff is waaay to educational to be free...I know there's a catch here somewhere...:twitch
    Anyway. Here's a simpler one... (I'm tired and my dog is begging me to read him a story) I started with a cool picture I took Sunday:
    4551356-L.jpg

Tried orange and pink and yellow and green...figured I'd stick with blue.
    4551357-L.jpg

The clouds screamed at me and threatened to sue if I didn't make them normal again, so I wound up with this:
    4551955-L.jpg

playing "Speed Photoshop" I processed the whole simple thing in like fifteen minutes. (the dog is really really begging, holding a tattered copy of Tom Sawyer in his mouth..) I'll work harder next time I swear!
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    This digital darkroom stuff is waaay to educational to be free...I know there's a catch here somewhere...:twitch
    Anyway. Here's a simpler one... (I'm tired and my dog is begging me to read him a story) I started with a cool picture I took Sunday:
    4551356-L.jpg

Michael,

I love the original! Dramatic lighting and coloring, what more could you ask for! Don't be messin' with mother nature :D

Great shot!
    Brad
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Beautiful shots Sid.. bet it was quite humbling out there.
    I thought of you whilst flying over Atlanta yesterday.

Was that you?

:D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    Don't go mentioning no Free, please.
    Savannah man, please don't go mentioning that "free" stuff and that this is too good for that, etc. Maybe no one has noticed, lol.

I have had it pointed out to me that people pay a bunch to go places to be taught this stuff. (And I don't even have to leave the house, can do it at 3 AM, etc)

Hope no one in charge here ever realizes the "free" part of it. I hate change.

ginger (Hey that is a great Sky, any way you color it, smile.)

Bet it was free too. This digital stuff is the only way in my life to have fun without paying a bunch every time.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Savannah man, please don't go mentioning that "free" stuff and that this is too good for that, etc. Maybe no one has noticed, lol.

I have had it pointed out to me that people pay a bunch to go places to be taught this stuff. (And I don't even have to leave the house, can do it at 3 AM, etc)

Hope no one in charge here ever realizes the "free" part of it. I hate change.

ginger (Hey that is a great Sky, any way you color it, smile.)

Bet it was free too. This digital stuff is the only way in my life to have fun without paying a bunch every time.
    All true. Don't take anything I say seriously, you'll only wind up confused. There's about 50,000 websites with great free photoshop tutorials out there. I'll be perusing over the next few months, and will be sure to post any good findings. In the meanwhile, thank God for Cletus. I say we all buy him a drink! :slurp
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    Michael,

I love the original! Dramatic lighting and coloring, what more could you ask for! Don't be messin' with mother nature :D

Great shot!
    Brad
    I know I know. Hate to pick something for the assignment. I was on the outer edge of a thunderstorm system, and sat for 30 minutes trying for lightning, which only flashed between camera bursts. lol. Go figure.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Now that is really good!! Cool work, Lynn!! The tighter crop and the tone are just the ticket for that image. Outstanding.

The tighter crop really brings the canine into the image and forces the viewers attention to the dogs face more effectively to me. Much stronger image - just go's to show how good an image you can get witha P&S camera!lickout.gif
    Thanks Path, I was'nt going to bother then I remembered Andy's phrase "don't blame the camera" so I took it.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Was that you?

yep... how's the air in Atlanta today?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

I really like that sepia toned picture, Lynnma (the names here are going to be my downfall), but I wanted to say that I really like that picture.

I bought a DRebel This February, so I am shooting with that now, I am a little spoiled by the flexibility of the lenses.

However, I LOVE my Digital Elph, first one was an S100, broke the lens, so I bought the most recent then, the S230. I have all sorts of reasons to love that camera!

Including it is easy to carry, like you had it with you to take the picture of boy and dog, love it. My Rebel case is cool to carry, too, it is kind of a backpack that isn't. It is what a backpack should be for people who are not serious hikers.

ginger
    thanks Ginger... I've been messin around with duotone in Photoshop. Have you tried that yet? It's in "Image Mode" .. you have to greyscale first. Most interesting I think. I guess I've realized that taking a good picture has nothing to do with the camera really, any more than painting a lovely scene has nothing to do with the paint...
    Nice learning..
    Lynn:D
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    Hmmm.... Does this count in this assignment¿
    4550044-L.jpg
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2004
    I would think it does.

Love the shot of the clouds. The original is really nice. I like what you did to it too.

I am trying hard to learn from all of these assignments too. They are fantastic and I really appreciate the talented people here sharing their techniques.

I dont think I could have taken the clouds back to the original. Guess I have to go back to that making a selection assignment and read it all again.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Took this picture with my little canon Elf, only 2.5 mp for some daft reason I left my DRebel at home? why?

Anyhow, it's all I have to use til I can get out. The quality is'nt great but I kinda liked the pose... (or rather, unpose)
    both fantastic but I think I prefer the original, you get the impression of being "flat out" knackered seeing his legs
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    re Duotone?
    Ginger here, Lynnma, Is there a tutorial or something here that you know of that I could print out on duotoning, or could someone give me a bit more info.

I have about 6 books on Elements 2 photoshop, but nothing on the "real" photoshop, which is the only place one can do duotoning. I did find that out.

I have photoshop 7 on my computer, and I have been using it the last few weeks, gradually getting used to it, but I just am not buying more books.

I printed out what you wrote about the duotoning being in the image mode, with the greyscaling first. But that is all I know..............

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I would think it does.

Love the shot of the clouds. The original is really nice. I like what you did to it too.

I am trying hard to learn from all of these assignments too. They are fantastic and I really appreciate the talented people here sharing their techniques.

I dont think I could have taken the clouds back to the original. Guess I have to go back to that making a selection assignment and read it all again.
    Thank you. I like the cloud shot alot myself. The layering of the tone adjustment meant it was only a matter of pulling out the eraser and zooming close for the detail work. That part took about 10 minutes as a rush job. (looking close at the original makes it show too!) I got about 20 shots in while I was sitting there, think I'll throw the rest up on smugmug.
    BTW, (just me speakin') but the feedback is as valuable as the lesson itself. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Ginger here, Lynnma, Is there a tutorial or something here that you know of that I could print out on duotoning, or could someone give me a bit more info.

I have about 6 books on Elements 2 photoshop, but nothing on the "real" photoshop, which is the only place one can do duotoning. I did find that out.

I have photoshop 7 on my computer, and I have been using it the last few weeks, gradually getting used to it, but I just am not buying more books.

I printed out what you wrote about the duotoning being in the image mode, with the greyscaling first. But that is all I know..............

ginger
    Hi Ginger,
    I broke my ankle last night and am up to my eyes in drugs this morning. Ug ug.. go to Image, Mode, and see greyscale, you need to convert your pic to grey scale before you can use duotone. After it's grey go to duotone in the list and click on it and click on load and see lots of choices of colors... I think Pathfinder can give you a good tutorial until I get my head together.
    Hope this gets you going.
    Lynn :)
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Ginger,
    I broke my ankle last night and am up to my eyes in drugs this morning. Ug ug.. go to Image, Mode, and see greyscale, you need to convert your pic to grey scale before you can use duotone. After it's grey go to duotone in the list and click on it and click on load and see lots of choices of colors... I think Pathfinder can give you a good tutorial until I get my head together.
    Hope this gets you going.
    Lynn :)
    Sorry to hear about your ankle Lynn :cry

I hope you get healed up soon!
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Ginger,
    I broke my ankle last night and am up to my eyes in drugs this morning. QUOTE]

Ouch! Hate to hear it. Brought you some flowers:
    3659450-M.jpg

3618008-M.jpg

3689889-M.jpg

Hope you get better! (and stay high until then...)
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2004
    I never had any physical problems
    Until I started exercising. That stuff can kill you, you know the things we
    do for our health. (I play tennis, a broken hand and a badly broken wrist)
    Still play. Gotta keep on dancing.

Thanks Lynn. Sorry about the broken ankle. Maybe we can suggest a sit down assignment for next time. Can't have you "sitting" out.

Really sorry about it. Thanks for a starter on the duotone. I am thinking of ordering a photoshop book by Kelby, should have done it last night.

Get well soon, take care, all that jazz. (I will not say, "break a leg")

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2004
    biggrinbounce2.gif Thanks everyone for your kind words and flowers.. I've hobbled over here twice today to see whats going on but can only stay a short time and have to get back into the recliner. Seeing orthopod early in the morning and he said "don't eat" hmmmm what can that mean...

Have attention span difficulty.. (left over purple shots and pills like Humungas) and crutched hurt like mad. pout, sniff.

Oh get over it lynn and be a man.

I'll check in to make sure everyone is ok and behaving.
    broken Lynnma xx
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2004
    Greetings
    Well, when I started tinting this shot, I decided to do it selectively, and it ended up looking like an old postcard to me, so I through on the type. This is taken at Lotusland (obviously) an amazing garden that was built by an amazing woman, Madame Ganna Walska

Lotusland

4603957-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2004
    One picture, different treatments
    4576096-M.jpg4576109-M.jpg4576165-M.jpg

ginger
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2004
    Ginger,
    Nice work with the powerlines!

I love the first shot, Color is great, fruit stand looks so warm and inviting.