Options

Dalston Horse Jumping

2»

Comments

• Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Bob, I love watching you grow as a photographer. Really good stuff man clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks Dan you have really made my day although I think I have a long way to go. I really must applaud all you guys on Dgrin who have been so helpful to me for without this help I wouldn't be as confident as I am at the moment. Thanks to everyone.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    My fav is #1 clap.gif

I shot Horse Jumping for the first time this last Saturday and it is alot of fun.
    I have some pictures of the event on my web site.

Take Care,
    Charles,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    My fav is #1 clap.gif

I shot Horse Jumping for the first time this last Saturday and it is alot of fun.

Take Care,
    Charles,

Looks like you attended the City League show at the WNC Ag Center??
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    My fav is #1 clap.gif

Take Care,
    Charles,

Yes Charles I appreciate what you say about number one I have been giving this shot a lot of thought after it was previously admired. Am I right or wrong in saying there are others which are so similar to this one. Or I may be a thousand miles away I don't know. What is your website for me to look at?
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:

Hi Mark
    Can you give me some kind of explanation about photo 1 as I have outlined in the previous post. By the way I have found out there are some more venues near me in the next three weeks so I really am looking forward to them weather permitting. Our weather is totally atrocious at the moment I should have been at a motor venue tonight testing my panning but it was cancelled.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:

Yes, the horse show I shot was at the Western North Carolina Ag center a few miles out of Asheville, NC.
    Was you at the show Saturday HoofClix?

Bob, my link to my web site is listed below all my comments.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Yes, the horse show I shot was at the Western North Carolina Ag center a few miles out of Asheville, NC.
    No, I wasn't there. I was down the hill at a hunter show at a place in Tryon called Harmon Field. I am actually a horse show organizer in my "spare time," and I ran the show down there (didn't photograph it).. www.BRHJA.com

I'm not sure who the official photog at the City League show was. "Pics-of -You??"
    Mark
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009

Bob, my link to my web site is listed below all my comments.

Take Care,
    Charles
    Hi Charles
    I went into your link and clicked on Horse Shows but nothing came up. Sorry.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Mark
    Can you give me some kind of explanation about photo 1 as I have outlined in the previous post. By the way I have found out there are some more venues near me in the next three weeks so I really am looking forward to them weather permitting. Our weather is totally atrocious at the moment I should have been at a motor venue tonight testing my panning but it was cancelled.
    Regards
    Bob
    618156513_h6EX7-L.jp

Hey Bob, great that you found some more places.. I would think that in the UK you could see such a place from every streetcorner.....

I think you are asking for more explanation as to why I like the above #1.. It's not just that this is properly timed, but that the horse looks capable of doing the job, as does basically the rider. So you got a pretty shot, 1/3 because of what you did, 2/3 because of what they did. Keep in mind that you can really only control is how well you time their position. I figure that this horse cleared the jump.. Notice the horses knees up, level, even, rider is basically balance..

I'm speaking here as to what a rider will buy, and all three have to come together for that to happen, unless they just buy anything.. So in that second series you posted, #s 2, 9, and 11 are horrible, not because of your timing, but because the horse is riding abysmally... #s 4, 6, 7, 8, and 10, show signs of decent riding, but they are shot too late. #s 13, 14, and 15 are pretty much correct, except that the ears are all cocked..

Divavum talked about it from the Hunter viewpoint, an equestrian discipline that is rare over there in the UK. t is all form form form.. iThe saying is that Hunters are to Jumpers as Figure Skaters are to Speed Skaters. (Eventers get compared to a slightly rougher ice skating sport..) In jumpers there is a sort of "get the job done" mentality, but at higher levels they'd better learn the form or they won't make it..

If you can get to a few higher level jumper shows you will see much better results on the 2/3 that you can't control. Burghley is in only a few weeks:
    http://www.burghley-horse.co.uk/

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    Hey Bob, great that you found some more places.. I would think that in the UK you could see such a place from every streetcorner.....

I think you are asking for more explanation as to why I like the above #1.. It's not just that this is properly timed, but that the horse looks capable of doing the job, as does basically the rider. So you got a pretty shot, 1/3 because of what you did, 2/3 because of what they did. Keep in mind that you can really only control is how well you time their position. I figure that this horse cleared the jump.. Notice the horses knees up, level, even, rider is basically balance..

I'm speaking here as to what a rider will buy, and all three have to come together for that to happen, unless they just buy anything.. So in that second series you posted, #s 2, 9, and 11 are horrible, not because of your timing, but because the horse is riding abysmally... #s 4, 6, 7, 8, and 10, show signs of decent riding, but they are shot too late. #s 13, 14, and 15 are pretty much correct, except that the ears are all cocked..

Divavum talked about it from the Hunter viewpoint, an equestrian discipline that is rare over there in the UK. t is all form form form.. iThe saying is that Hunters are to Jumpers as Figure Skaters are to Speed Skaters. (Eventers get compared to a slightly rougher ice skating sport..) In jumpers there is a sort of "get the job done" mentality, but at higher levels they'd better learn the form or they won't make it..

If you can get to a few higher level jumper shows you will see much better results on the 2/3 that you can't control. Burghley is in only a few weeks:

Mark
    Mark that was absolutely first class. It has given me a lot of time to work out exactly what you have said and it is the best advice I have ever had. Thanks once again and I hope my next images are up to standard.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    "Divavum talked about it from the Hunter viewpoint, an equestrian discipline that is rare over there in the UK. t is all form form form.. iThe saying is that Hunters are to Jumpers as Figure Skaters are to Speed Skaters. (Eventers get compared to a slightly rougher ice skating sport..) In jumpers there is a sort of "get the job done" mentality, but at higher levels they'd better learn the form or they won't make it.."

Bingo. (Btw, for the record I DID do some jumpers, both "baby" classes in the UK, and then as a junior in the US, but because I'm a wimp over higher fences, never enjoyed it as much even though it WAS nice to just *ride* without all the "shoulds" getting in the way :D Of course, once I had come up through the US hunter/medal circuit, I had the "shoulds" drilled into my little equestrian pea brain and they've pretty much stayed ever since .... rolleyes1.gif)

Mark's comments on the combination of horse/rider PLUS the photographic timing is exactly what I was going to say... until I saw he'd already said it. rolleyes1.gif It's not ONLY your timing, but what they actually gave you to photograph!

I do hope you get to Burghley - I'll be pea green over those shots! (Ah me... I really REALLY need to get back to the UK more often...!!)
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:

Mark

Thanks once again Mark for thoroughly explaining why this photo was much better than the rest. I have looked at the link for Burghly and I will try and get there to put into practice what you have said.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks once again Mark for thoroughly explaining why this photo was much better than the rest. I have looked at the link for Burghly and I will try and get there to put into practice what you have said.
    Regards
    Bob

I should add that you might just read on the site to make sure they don't have any rules about bringing cameras in. I quit going to our 4-Star, Rolex, in 2005, and I think they may have started restricting the big lenses on site, maybe not. (It may be that they only restrict the ones who can go inside the ropes.) You should just check before you make the trek.

Keep in mind that Burghley, and Badminton, are more important to these riders than the Olympics, it being a 4-Star difficulty level, where the Olympics is only a 2-Star. Certainly wish I could go myself! Can't wait to see your pics..
    Mark
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    I should add that you might just read on the site to make sure they don't have any rules about bringing cameras in. I quit going to our 4-Star, Rolex, in 2005, and I think they may have started restricting the big lenses on site, maybe not. (It may be that they only restrict the ones who can go inside the ropes.) You should just check before you make the trek.

Keep in mind that Burghley, and Badminton, are more important to these riders than the Olympics, it being a 4-Star difficulty level, where the Olympics is only a 2-Star. Certainly wish I could go myself! Can't wait to see your pics..

I have looked through the site and I cannot see any mention of cameras or lenses. I will contact them by phone tomorrow and see exactly what the position is. I have checked the location and I see it will be a 750 mile return trip for me so I think I want to be sure I can get some decent close up shots.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I have looked through the site and I cannot see any mention of cameras or lenses. I will contact them by phone tomorrow and see exactly what the position is. I have checked the location and I see it will be a 750 mile return trip for me so I think I want to be sure I can get some decent close up shots.
    Regards
    Bob

Hi Mark.
    Today I contacted the box office at Burghley and spoke to Lisa Cole who told me that she had no knowledge of any camera or lens restrictions. The show jumping is on the Sunday 6th Sept and this would be the only day I could attend. However, the only seats that are left are well back in the uncovered stand and I do not think that would be any good to me using a 70-200L F.4 and trying to shoot over someones head.
    I explained to Lisa what I was wanting to do and explained I was an amateur and I do not sell any photos and she suggested I send an email as it is the stewards discretion as to who enters the arena. She went on to say that the TV crews will be there and also a lot of professional photographers so I am awaiting a reply to my email with fingers crossed.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Mark.
    Today I contacted the box office at Burghley and spoke to Lisa Cole who told me that she had no knowledge of any camera or lens restrictions. The show jumping is on the Sunday 6th Sept and this would be the only day I could attend. However, the only seats that are left are well back in the uncovered stand and I do not think that would be any good to me using a 70-200L F.4 and trying to shoot over someones head.
    I explained to Lisa what I was wanting to do and explained I was an amateur and I do not sell any photos and she suggested I send an email as it is the stewards discretion as to who enters the arena. She went on to say that the TV crews will be there and also a lot of professional photographers so I am awaiting a reply to my email with fingers crossed.
    Regards
    Bob

I received a reply back from Burghley to say that I was not allowed within the ring because of health and safety regulations. I will not be attending.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I received a reply back from Burghley to say that I was not allowed within the ring because of health and safety regulations. I will not be attending.
    Regards
    Bob

Hey, no problem. Just trying to point you in the right direction. Keep looking!
    Mark
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    Hey, no problem. Just trying to point you in the right direction. Keep looking!

Thanks Mark I will certainly be there next year. I have a venue on Sunday, Hunter trials but the weather forecast is not good at all.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    Put your Barbour jacket on, slip your raincoat's handle in the left front pocket, and shoot from underneath!! Make it a black umbrella!
    Mark
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    Put your Barbour jacket on, slip your raincoat's handle in the left front pocket, and shoot from underneath!! Make it a black umbrella!

Mmmm I will have to try that Mark.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Mmmm I will have to try that Mark.
    Regards
    Bob

Once again I will have to be patient as all the venues I intended going to in the next two weeks have been cancelled due to all the rain we have had.
    Regards
    Bob