DSS #30 Unofficial Feedback Thread - Envorinmental Portrait

Comments

• Mad CatMad Cat Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I just needed to jump in here to say, thanks everyone for the props and critique in the gallery comments on my shot! And for those who were wondering about the white thing above the gardeners head... It's a sign that says grapes with a grape cluster painted on it... I left it there on purpose to see how many people would say it was a distraction :D Jeff Meyers was the only one... clap.gif congratulations Jeff! thumb.gifrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I have to admit I did wonder what the hell it was.... I even wondered if it was a reflector of some kind!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Okay, hold up now...

Kat, the dailies community is part of the SmugMug communities and is not directly linked to DGrin. I was an active part of that community for a year, and I can say for certain there isn't a huge crossover between people who participate in the dailies and those who are registered on DGrin. I can name a few, but it really isn't an overwhelming number. And even fewer the number who are in the dailies community, registered on DGrin, and participate in the challenges.

Asking for feedback elsewhere on an entry is kosher. Getting feedback from anywhere is fine, especially since feedback is especially craved 'round these parts. :D

Now, certainly, posting an image elsewhere and then asking a whole bunch of people to come vote for your photo here is not kosher. I haven't seen anyone doing this, but we certainly keep track of who is voting and can spot it if it suddenly does start to happen. The dailies community is HUGE. We'd notice if they suddenly all flooded us. lol3.gif

===================================

Kerry,

I know feedback is important. I post on here for feedback too and love it.

You say there is not a cross over but there is, maybe not all at once, but there is.. You also said that I am accusing an entire community. I am not.. I am pointing out that certain individuals "work" these communities knowing full well what they are doing in asking for votes.. I can understand that they post there for cc, but to announce in those communities that they would appreciate votes and to label their photos as "possible challenge entries" is working the system..

If it did not work then why do they ask for votes?
    as in "this statement" from photobug's own gallery quoted here:

http://allbiz.smugmug.com/gallery/6464803_UmdP9#565258900_FYoK4

"Warning

Ha, ha... I'm so happy to tell you that my "Art Gallery" photo (11 June)
    made to the finals of the Dgrin contest #27: "Singular or Plural"!!!

Thank you so, so much for your support here :)

Your vote will be much appreciated:

Thank you again :) "

==============

She is ( outright ) asking for votes... and that is the point I am making that is all...

It is not fair to their fellow competitors and I do not respect that as true sportsmanship.. and they know better...

I am "not" attacking photobug, She made the statement about the dailys.. I just noticed this when I clicked on the link "she" posted...

My issue was with "fairness"........... that is all.....
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Kat, I understand what you're saying. In the rest of that text, I also stated that asking for votes was not kosher. I can't police any community outside DGrin, but I can and do watch like a hawk the votes that come in here. Just because someone is asking for votes does not mean they are getting them. Your supermods would see it. Trust us to do our (volunteer) jobs.

Just to reiterate what has been posted a few times in various threads: campaigning for votes goes against everything we've set the challenges up to accomplish. Don't do it. The consequences won't be enjoyable for anyone.
    <!--EndFragment-->
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Shoot, I knew I should have entered this one.rolleyes1.gif

Danny, nice shot! clap.gif
    I was wondering if you ever got a written consent from the subject? mwink.gif
    BTW - nice attempt at lightening up the mood on this thread.:cry
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    welcome to the Tatiana thread ,well for a change of pace on my way to vote
    Mark thank you Daniel the allen thanks you :D golfer thank you James the f4 is just not the same but a good lens photoeffects thank you I am not going to tell you about some of the folks I shot with mwink.gif Curious thank you very much thumb.gif Divamum a bird portrait rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif thank you and whiterice thank you I do try harder than sum :D
    I will say again no flash was used by doing that in the field the birds will come back and share with you.I knew my shot was not going to the finals not just because it was a BIRD but it was also taken by jwear.I also had to post a hummer shot ,last challenge . Thank you all again :ivar Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    kds1 wrote:
    Yikes. You guys are kind of scary now. Don't scare us newbies off here! I talked one person in to doing dgrin challenges, so I feel kind of responsible for what he sees . . .
    Kara

Kara, dont get chased off yet..... the challenges are better than any daytime drama on TV... (ok, Im talking out the yeahoo, I have no idea what soaps are really like other than the basics...) but still dont run of yet... I want to see your next entry!!!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 11, 2009
    sgonen wrote:
    Danny, nice shot! clap.gif
    I was wondering if you ever got a written consent from the subject? mwink.gif
    BTW - nice attempt at lightening up the mood on this thread.:cry

Im surprised Danny didnt get clocked...:D

Shimon revenge is sweet...
    Aaron Nelson
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Kara, dont get chased off yet..... the challenges are better than any daytime drama on TV... (ok, Im talking out the yeahoo, I have no idea what soaps are really like other than the basics...) but still dont run of yet... I want to see your next entry!!!

Me too!
    This group really is great and supportive, but from time to time, we hit our bumps....you just gotta roll through them! Please stick around, I personally have grown so much with my photography since I have been participating in this forum, don't give up yet!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited August 11, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Kat, I understand what you're saying. In the rest of that text, I also stated that asking for votes was not kosher. I can't police any community outside DGrin, but I can and do watch like a hawk the votes that come in here. Just because someone is asking for votes does not mean they are getting them. Your supermods would see it. Trust us to do our (volunteer) jobs.

Just to reiterate what has been posted a few times in various threads: campaigning for votes goes against everything we've set the challenges up to accomplish. Don't do it. The consequences won't be enjoyable for anyone.
    <!--EndFragment-->

Hi Kerry, I am so new to this (this is only my second contest) that maybe I'm not even entitled to an opinion here..... But is seems to me that A: Under no circumstances should judges be required (perhaps it should be forbidden) to justify their decisions to contest participants. I DID pm Greensquare myself because I was curious why my 1st image didn't make it and she was very helpfull. So perhaps these sort of exchanges, if not forbidden altogether,could be relegated to pm's between contestants and judges. Each individual judge could establish their own policy on whether they further critque the images or not. If these things are kept private, rather than posted out there for everybody to see, maybe losing contestants wouldn't feel so obligated to explain, justify, and argue on the public posts.

When Budweiser (or whoever) holds a contest to see who gets the free NASCAR tickets you always hear the same thing - "All judges' decisions are final."

Yep forming groups or whatever for the exclusive purpose of soliciting votes is uncool as hell. Somebody could form an exclusive invitation only group and if it gets large enough they could hold contests within contests, and take turns voting for members of their own groups.....

I'm having great fun with the past couple of contests I've entered because both of them have forced me to produce images I wouldn't have otherwise..... But you know, I don't even have any idea what the prize is if I win.... Why is it so important to win this thing that there's even the suspicion of foul play? I could offer one or two solutions though. The rules could be revised so that only people who enter the contest with valid images are eligible to vote.... Better yet, - a dgrinner who doesn't produce an image for the contest gets only one vote, while a true contestant with an image gets two or three votes, - only one of which can be used to vote for their own image......

Like I said I'm a newbie and my opinion probably doesn't mean a helluva lot, but I for my part am really enjoying this and would really like to see people come together, agree on some standard procedures, and get on with the more important business at hand - the images themselves. Thankyou for your time..... Wess/MadCat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Me too!
    This group really is great and supportive, but from time to time, we hit our bumps....you just gotta roll through them! Please stick around, I personally have grown so much with my photography since I have been participating in this forum, don't give up yet!

Like any other family, we have our dysfunctional moments. Things are worked out and life goes on. ne_nau.gif

Like Karin, I too, have grown so much with my photography since I've been a member of Dgrin.
  • miskatonic_universitymiskatonic_university Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I'm just wincing in case we all lose our privileges and the people who could have won their prizes... don't.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I'm just wincing in case we all lose our privileges and the people who could have won their prizes... don't.

Not to worry. The moderators are on top of things.
    edited August 11, 2009
    :D:D
    Mad Cat wrote:
    maybe I'm not even entitled to an opinion here..... ..... Wess/MadCat

henceforth forever more you are knighted and dubbed with an entitlement...as long as you only vote for Canon shooters that is...:D :D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 11, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Like any other family, we have our dysfunctional moments. Things are worked out and life goes on. ne_nau.gif

Like Karin, I too, have grown so much with my photography since I've been a member of Dgrin.

I'm so new to this that I just posed the question to Kerry - 'what the hell is at stake with these contests that people are suspecting foul l=play?" I mean if we're all competing for a brand new Nikon D3X I can see where people might get sneakyI and underhanded. If that's what these contests were about I'd get one of my underworld computer buddies to hack in to the really stiff competition images, put warts on the models' noses and blacken their teeth or something like that. But I sure wouldn't do anything dishonest! We're not even competing for free magazine subscriptions are we???? Why not keep it light and fun and friendly? And, Like Linda, I gotta admit Dgrin has pushed me a long way in a short time.... and I'm an old throwbackfilm shooter. Dgrin is too cool to implode. w
    edited August 11, 2009

henceforth forever more you are knighted and dubbed with an entitlement...as long as you only vote for Canon shooters that is...:D :D

Semi personal question Bro - how old are you? My first autofocus camera was a Canon E0S 620 and every once in a while I'll see one in a pawn shop for 50 or 60 bucks and it brings a little tear to my eye.

Prior to the E0S 620 I shot with an A1 and an AE1 Program, as well as a Cannonete rangefinger with a 40mm fixed lens that made images so sharp
    you could shave with them.

At this point in my life I'm a Nikon guy, but I've told more than one person that they're both the best of the best & don't even consider anything but. An I still entitiled??? w
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Mad Cat wrote:
    An I still entitiled??? w
    No, I hate to be the "bear-of-bad news," as my father always said, unless you are totally a Nikonite, you are not entitled. Just a simple fact.:D

Hey, my first camera was, still is, a Zeiss Ikon Kontaflex.. KEH has them for $15 I think...

And come on folks, toggle yer brightness bar, will ya???
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • CAPTURED2HCAPTURED2H Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009

wait a minute,you have gone too far this time deal.gif ?? what is a canon ne_nau.gif
    edited August 11, 2009
    Mad Cat wrote:
    Semi personal question Bro - how old are you? My first autofocus camera was a Canon E0S 620 and every once in a while I'll see one in a pawn shop for 50 or 60 bucks and it brings a little tear to my eye.

Prior to the E0S 620 I shot with an A1 and an AE1 Program, as well as a Cannonete rangefinger with a 40mm fixed lens that made images so sharp
    you could shave with them.

At this point in my life I'm a Nikon guy, but I've told more than one person that they're both the best of the best & don't even consider anything but. An I still entitiled??? w

point taken, I was just trying to make you feel welcome... humor can have adverse affects via the internet....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 11, 2009
    point taken, I was just trying to make you feel welcome... humor can have adverse affects via the internet....

Thanks Bro We could all use a lot of humor right now. I'm not clear now though - are you a Cannonite, or a Nikonian???
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Sports Fan

614980412_5AEXD-L.jpg
    my son says that is "creepy"
    edited August 12, 2009
    Just so you know, I didn't produce that image, can't and actually come up with a situation in which I would. I don't find it particularyly offensive, but let's face it - our kids this stuff as muh as we do. Anyway, not MINE. w
  • miskatonic_universitymiskatonic_university Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    I thought we were Nikonians?
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 12, 2009
    Thank you all who have commented and given feedback on my image in the gallery. I really do appreciate your time in responding! I have learned so much from these challenges since I started doing them over a year ago...its amazing how they can push a person beyond what they originally thought they could ever accomplish!

I hope we continue to use these challenges as a learning forum. Thus why they are called 'challenges' and not called 'competitions'.thumb.gif
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    My high school photo teacher taught me to use only Nikon. But I have only ever used Canons since. I have a guilty conscience rolleyes1.gif
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    My high school photo teacher taught me to use only Nikon. But I have only ever used Canons since. I have a guilty conscience rolleyes1.gif

Some people never learn!
    :ivar
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    At least she feels guilt. Otherwise she'd be a "Canonopath..."
    :duel
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited August 12, 2009
    Is the tide turning yellow... are we aflush with Nikons here? :D Better than the red tide.... :hide
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    At least she feels guilt. Otherwise she'd be a "Canonopath..."
    :duel

Haha. Let me win the lottery and I'll show ya what a canon-phile I am. As it happens, I'm just a closet one at the moment lol!
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Thank you to everyone that left comments in the gallery
    Thanks to everyone that left comments in the gallery on my entry. It was very gratifying to read the feedback. I had walked past this gentleman several times over the last many weeks. His shop is one of five to six in a row on a side road I'll take walking home.

On this occasion, I noticed he had a lovely cat, so I stopped and spent 10-15 minutes petting the cat and 'chatting' with the gentleman. He would reach out and touch my shoulder on occasion, give me a thumbs-up. As usual, several of the other locals would start to notice and happily acknowledge my sitting with them.

I hadn't hid my camera at all and mid-way through I pointed at him and back to my camera and shrugged a question mark. He leaned back, tilted his head and posed for several shots. I've stopped by a couple of more times to 'visit' him and his cat. I'll probably have a small print made to give him as well.

I took the shot with the 50mm 1.4 on a D300. I would have preferred being slightly wider, but I think it worked out.

Here are a couple of extra shots from the same shop. The first is his cat and the second, him enjoying an ice cream. He's wearing the same shirt, but I promise it's a different night!
    618825688_HZD4k-M.jpg
    618826819_m23Vb-L-0.jpg

ps. I would have posted a thank you in the gallery, but for some reason I haven't been able to make that work...headscratch.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Ha, ha I thought that the light was from the open door of a refrigerator...
    but I couldn't figured out why the radio was inside headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com