People Forum

2»

Comments

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    what is a cheesecake photone_nau.gif and am I an offender of posting these? I feel this thread has become something of a war between the pj and portaits. I like to look at both, partially because of processing ideas if nothing else. That crosses both genres.

And just out of curiosity....what makes you heavy hitters out there want to comment on a commoner's photos in either people or weddings? And you all know who you are :D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Essentially it's a holy war between two approaches - hard folders (e.g. typical file system) and "virtual folders", aka tags/labels (e.g. gmail). Folders are efficient, but very rigid and do not allow for one item to be present in multiple places. Tags can be assigned in swarms, but tend to be a bit too loose (famous conundrum: plural or singular?) and, unless firmly controlled (you say "nude", I say "nudity":-), ultimately less effective. Given the current status of the forum software (Visual Bulletin) and its "hard folder" oriented architecture, I don't think we have too many options... ne_nau.gif
    Had to laugh at your keyword example. I know what YOU got on the brain. rolleyes1.gif
    Good point... but couldn't we just make up a few abbreviations and have it stickied somewhere so the poster could type it on with the title? That way at a glance one could tell if they wanted to look at something? Why would it need to be a fancy keyword sorting mechanism? Like for instance the challenge folks know to type in the DSS # at the beginning of their thread title... and it is really helpful.
    Nikolai wrote:
    Speaking of wedding forum and the decreased amount of views/comments... Naturally our goals differ, but I'd rather have one serious comment from Scott, Aaron, Sean or David (and quite a few others - sorry, too long a list:-) than a dozen pats from the people I never met before (but yes, I take those, too :-)

Another *really* good point. Though I only know one of those people. Where have I been? And actually the wedding forum has gotten a lot more regulars... it used to be r e a l l y slow. It is picking up really nicely.
    Again, not complaining about the wedding forum partition at all.
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess our mods are well aware of the situation and trying to find the best approach giving the software limitations and known best practices... Thus far they manage to do quite well in this regards and I have all the faith they will continue to do so:-)

Yes! I love our mods!!! Yea for mods!! They always manage to be gracious no matter how many times they have to tell people to turn their external links on. Whatever the mods decide will be fantastic!
    Wings wrote:
    what is a cheesecake photone_nau.gif and am I an offender of posting these?
    Think saucy lady photos... nude or not, models or not. I don't think you post those... (?) But it isn't really an offence.
    Wings wrote:
    I feel this thread has become something of a war between the pj and portaits. I like to look at both, partially because of processing ideas if nothing else. That crosses both genres.
    I am not reading that at all. I think it is just a discussion of organization, not a battle of photo styles. I think it is clear that everyone respects everyone elses style.
    wings wrote:
    And just out of curiosity....what makes you heavy hitters out there want to comment on a commoner's photos in either people or weddings? And you all know who you are :D
    What makes a heavy hitter heavy? Cheesecake photos. rolleyes1.gif Couldn't resist... lol!

Not that I would classify myself as a heavy hitter, but I do my best to comment on as many as I can, and know that others do too. Once I had the great and powerful Andy himself comment on a photo..... wow. :whew
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    :lurk
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I'd go out on a limb here and pretend I'm one of those ;-) If not - sorry :hide

I normally don't comment on wedding stuff. Wedding is heavily customer-targeted, people strive for individual styles, so I don't think my personal opinions would make any difference.

As for the general People (and that include certain subforums:-) I do comment on pictures if I see a way to improve it, and, very importantly, if I don't think the poster would take it personally. As such I do not comment on snapshots, generally lame (reshoot needed) stuff and personal pictures (especially someone's relatives/kids), since I don't think an average OP would be able to consume cold-blooded critique over the subject that is too close to OP's heart. Needless to say, the more familiar I am with the person's ability to "take it like a man", the more chances are I'd weigh in.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Stay tuned, Tina. We're working on it. Hopefully, it won't take much longer. deal.gif

Will "Street" have its own forum?? (Please, please, pretty please with sugar on top!!!!) :D
  • mtbparkermtbparker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    My only personal request would be to add "Pets and Kids" (as a single entity), since those seem to be an eternally popular subject, especially for the novice crowd...

Ouch! I'm now rethinking my second post. :D I guess it's because they make such willing subjects. Can you imagine me going to one of your models? "Hello, I'm Tom. I have no clue what I'm doing. Most of my photos are going to turn out like crap. But would you mind standing naked on that rock for me?" rolleyes1.gif

Your point about people making comments on babies and family is well taken. I guess I never looked at it way. I look at them as being the people most patient with me as I cut my teeth.

Tom
    Tom Parker
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Think saucy lady photos... nude or not, models or not. I don't think you post those... (?) But it isn't really an offence.

I am not reading that at all. I think it is just a discussion of organization, not a battle of photo styles. I think it is clear that everyone respects everyone elses style.
    What makes a heavy hitter heavy? Cheesecake photos. rolleyes1.gif Couldn't resist... lol!

Not that I would classify myself as a heavy hitter, but I do my best to comment on as many as I can, and know that others do too. Once I had the great and powerful Andy himself comment on a photo..... wow. :whew

Heather...Thanks for the clarification of cheesecake. I actually did one of those kinds of shoots recently due to the new tv show how to look good naked.... Somebody not young, not skinny, wanted a boudoir photo session, so I did it but don't think anyone here would appreciate my posting them!
    And....you are absolutely a heavy hitter!!bowdown.gif And I think everyone here would agree. Your wedding stuff is amazing...I was recenly noted as one in a post and I just laughed!

I was just asking because most of the "heavy hitters" no longer comment on my photos and certainly never Andy! and I wasn't sure why... It was great in the begining when I started a year ago because this is how I am learning the most...Now either my stuff is just so good... lmaorolleyes1.gif .... or it is still so bad!

And Nikolai...Heavy hitter extrodinaire! I can take it.... I think :cry My feeling is that if I have the time to read it I could probably throw a comment in if I have any opinion at all... but I agree... I don't want to hurt or offend anyone and I don't comment on snapshots but if I like something I try to let them know...but that is just me....always feeling guilty about something....

Thanks for your reponses. I am looking forward to seeing what new life this people forum takes on.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited August 30, 2009
    mtbparker wrote:
    Ouch! I'm now rethinking my second post. :D I guess it's because they make such willing subjects. Can you imagine me going to one of your models? "Hello, I'm Tom. I have no clue what I'm doing. Most of my photos are going to turn out like crap. But would you mind standing naked on that rock for me?" rolleyes1.gif
    Tom
    Tom, don't sweat it, we all started there. Kids and pets are great subjects, especially because a) they are permanently available, and b) they don't have much say in whether it's OK to shoot them;-).
    The key to transition is to grow one of them to be a model deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif Takes time and patience, but you'll get there :-) thumb.gif
  • mtbparkermtbparker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Tom, don't sweat it, we all started there. Kids and pets are great subjects, especially because a) they are permanently available, and b) they don't have much say in whether it's OK to shoot them;-).
    The key to transition is to grow one of them to be a model deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif Takes time and patience, but you'll get there :-) thumb.gif

I'll talk to my wife and see what I can get her to do. :)
    Tom Parker
    edited August 30, 2009
    Had to laugh at your keyword example. I know what YOU got on the brain. rolleyes1.gif
    I do love teasing... mwink.gif
    Good point... but couldn't we just make up a few abbreviations and have it stickied somewhere so the poster could type it on with the title? That way at a glance one could tell if they wanted to look at something? Why would it need to be a fancy keyword sorting mechanism? Like for instance the challenge folks know to type in the DSS # at the beginning of their thread title... and it is really helpful.
    Tags only really work in personal or heavily controlled environment, examples being
    • Internal/personal usage (gmail)
      You and only you (or a very closed group) is responsible for tag "approval" (creation/editing) and proper usage (consumption). It is in your best interest for it to work, and you can always fix the mistakes easily.
    • Heavily controlled environment (stock photo site)
      Since the proper tag assignment is a lifeline for this type of business, both tag creation and usage is strictly controlled. Violating entries are rejected bluntly.
    Now, dgrin is neither. Apart from aforementioned polymorphism and entropy (different words expessing same idea) and ambiguity (how about "portrait, landscape" - can you *really* tell what is this image about?), there can be no control over the proper usage, and just like it's faily common to assign "sexy" titles to otherwise regular pictures to lure more views, attention-seekers will be using all possible (and especially "popular") tags just to get a piece of the action.
    Bottom line: tag-based search (or virtual hierarchy) will be inaccurate to say the least... ne_nau.gif
    edited August 30, 2009
    mtbparker wrote:
    I'll talk to my wife and see what I can get her to do. :)
    That's the spirit! clap.gif
    And btw, some wives make great models, too mwink.gif
    The only problem is, then they really hate competition rolleyes1.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 26, 2009
    OK, so it took much longer than I thought, but I'm pleased to say that the new Street and PJ forum is open for business. :ivar:ivar:ivar