edited November 12, 2009 in Cameras

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 20, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Canon 7D and possibly 60D due out 9/1

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/09/08/19/canon.7d.leaks/

Ah, rumors. Such fun to speculate. If this article is accurate, then I don't understand at all the market Canon is targeting. Seems like a less capable 5DII at about the same price. headscratch.gif Doesn't add up, IMO.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Ah, rumors. Such fun to speculate. If this article is accurate, then I don't understand at all the market Canon is targeting. Seems like a less capable 5DII at about the same price. headscratch.gif Doesn't add up, IMO.
    15524779-Ti.gif - I don't see how anyone can hope to sell the 7D (with the rumored specifications) for the same price as a 5D2 - just doesn't pass the smell test.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif - I don't see how anyone can hope to sell the 7D (with the rumored specifications) for the same price as a 5D2 - just doesn't pass the smell test.
    And the kit version includes the 28-135 instead of the 24-105L? Something just doesn't add up with this rumor...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I've been following this with interest and not a little amusement - the reader comments posted on canonrumors.com after each new leaklet are pretty funny ( I mean, I spend as much too-much-time on the 'net and imagining the perfect new camera as anybody, but really... some people clearly have WAAYYYYYYYyyYYYY too much time on their hands and take this all Terribly Terribly Seriously :giggle :lol4)

What's interesting in the article you've linked, Dan, is that it seems to be citing canonrumors.com conclusions as, well... conclusive. Rumorsites quoting rumorsites....

In any case, I'm definitely intrigued to see what finally emerges following all the speculation. It's pretty fun to watch the ride this year (last year was before the obsession started, so I didn't even know that there was anything to follow...... rolleyes1.gif). I myself hope that there will be 60d AND 7d announcement, but we'll see, I guess!
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    If the 7D MSRP is $2700 per the Best Buy leak, then it has to be an APS-H, pro AF, 8-10fps, junior 1D. Just like how the 5D2 is a junior 1Ds. That is the only way it could command that price, and fit nicely between the Nikon D300s and D700. (Canon and Nikon like to stagger their bodies) If so, I'd be all over it.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    A Nikon D300 competitor makes the most sense as Canon has never offered something in between its consumer and pro cameras.

And judging by the latest pic of the top of it

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/camerattop.jpg

It definitely looks like it's not a single digit model but more of a consumer/prosumer body, so who knows. Hopefully Canon shoots will get their wish and it'll be a standard body with crop sensor and 8 fps or so. However, the D300 is like $1,300 so this new body sounds expensive if $2,700 is the real price.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    A Nikon D300 competitor makes the most sense as Canon has never offered something in between its consumer and pro cameras.

And judging by the latest pic of the top of it

It definitely looks like it's not a single digit model but more of a consumer/prosumer body, so who knows. Hopefully Canon shoots will get their wish and it'll be a standard body with crop sensor and 8 fps or so. However, the D300 is like $1,300 so this new body sounds expensive if $2,700 is the real price.

That top is basically a 5D2 top with an onboard flash and a couple extra buttons. This other leaked photo has been tested for fakeness and the consensus is that it's real:
    http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4498/1250680167dsc00049.jpg

So chances are excellent that it's a single digit body.

And the Nikon D300 costs $1600 now, and the D300s will be $1800.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d300s.asp

An APS-H (1.3x crop) pro AF, 8-10fps, optional vertical grip "1D Lite" would fill the big hole in Canon's lineup between the 1D and 50D, and it would abide by Canon/Nikon's unspoken agreement to not compete directly with each others' sub-pro bodies.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    VT50VT50 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    My hopes are if rumors of the 7D are true it will likely drive down the price of the 5DMKII making it within reach of the average joe amateur like me. I think I've out grown my trusty 40D and ready to make the move on up!!!
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    VT50 wrote:
    My hopes are if rumors of the 7D are true it will likely drive down the price of the 5DMKII making it within reach of the average joe amateur like me. I think I've out grown my trusty 40D and ready to make the move on up!!!

More likely that the 5D will be able to migrate up in price over time.

I can imagine with your 2.8 70-200 IS lens that you are tempted to go for a more appropriate body. Not that there is anything wrong with a 40D but I would be curious to see the difference with the lens on a full frame camera.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    VT50 wrote:

If the 7D is a budget full frame camera, you might get your wish, which is why I don't think that will happen.

I think it's going to be a junior 1D, much like how the 5D2 is a junior 1Ds. So the 7D and 5D2 would be on the same price level. That is a hole in Canon's lineup that needs filling badly. It would finally be a response to the Nikon D300 and D700
    -Jack

• Options
    VT50VT50 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    If the 7D is a budget full frame camera, you might get your wish, which is why I don't think that will happen.

I think it's going to be a junior 1D, much like how the 5D2 is a junior 1Ds. So the 7D and 5D2 would be on the same price level. That is a hole in Canon's lineup that needs filling badly. It would finally be a response to the Nikon D300 and D700

Hmm...good point. Maybe I'm holding out for a miracle.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    VT50 wrote:
    Hmm...good point. Maybe I'm holding out for a miracle.

The most recent rumors are pretty impressive, if they are indeed close to accurate.

Sadly, I think it will be out of my price league no matter what it is, and it looks like a 60D isn't going to appear until next year. That said, by next year I might have a little more money to burn... :D
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    The most recent rumors are pretty impressive, if they are indeed close to accurate.

Sadly, I think it will be out of my price league no matter what it is, and it looks like a 60D isn't going to appear until next year. That said, by next year I might have a little more money to burn... :D
    I wouldn't expect a 60D until next year, if past Canon production is anything to go by. I think the 50D came out shortly before Oct last year and the xxD, I think tend to come out on an 18-month cycle.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I don't think that rumor mill is very accurate.

It is supposively full frame but that link says that it would be: APS-C (1.6 Crop)

Something lost in translation here? ne_nau.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I don't think that rumor mill is very accurate.

It is supposively full frame but that link says that it would be: APS-C (1.6 Crop)

Something lost in translation here? ne_nau.gif

It appears that in these changes Canon is also changing the naming paradigm.

The upgraded 50D is not the 60D, but the 7D. This is why it seems confusing to see a crop framed improved 5DMII, because its not and improved 5D, but an improved 50D.

Canon looks to be retreating from the megapixel race and going to an improved performance race, one that suits me just fine.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    It appears that in these changes Canon is also changing the naming paradigm.

The upgraded 50D is not the 60D, but the 7D. This is why it seems confusing to see a crop framed improved 5DMII, because its not and improved 5D, but an improved 50D.

Canon looks to be retreating from the megapixel race and going to an improved performance race, one that suits me just fine.

Z
    nod.gif15524779-Ti.gif Me Too!!!
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Well, there don't seem to be official details yet - from what I'm reading, there still seems to be speculation over whether it's going to be FF or APS-C and what the price-point will be. I guess we'll find out in the next couple of weeks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2009
    And it is looking real now.

EOS 7D Specs
    "EOS 7D"

"EOS 7D"

-18mp
    - dual digic 4
    - 8 fps
    - 19 af points
    - ISO 100-6400 (L & H1 & H2)
    - 63 metering zones
    - 100% viewfinder
    - Horizon Help Viewfinder
    - 3″ VGA LCD
    - FullHD Video

In USA: $1699 Body
    In Canada: $1999 Body

specs on this poster: http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mobile01-a5dec84018ed024d52c8d6a1a3361c93.jpg
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Looks like a great Xmas present for any shutterbug.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    dmeiselmandmeiselman Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I've been trying to figure out what market Canon is gunning for with the 7D.
    With 1D-like AF and metering, but a crop sensor, are we talking about semi-pro sports shooters? Wildlife photographers? Photojournalists? It's definitely an interesting product, and if the 1700 dollar price tag is accurate, a magnificent deal for what it does.
    I bought my 40D because it was a mini 1DIII, looks like it's going to be replaced.
    D300|Tokina 12-24 f/4|Sigma 24mm f/1.8|Nikon 35 f/2|Tokina 50-135 f/2.8|AlienBees
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    It's a mid-range sports camera basically. Crop sensor for extra reach, high FPS and decent AF system.

I'm sure a lot of canon shooters will be extremely happy about this arrival!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    Finally some more concrete info! The speculations have been amusing, but reality is even more intriguing :D

If the price stays in that region, has killer high ISO performance and it really is a crop (a few days agoI read some speculations that it might be ff or 1.3 that accepts EFS lenses, although that now seems to be debunked by the further trickle of information), it might well be on my list after the initial price starts to come down a little bit.... mwink.gif
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    I am not sure why someone would be surprised at Canon making a higher end APS-C sports shooter camera. I have always been a fan of crop cameras for sports anyways - gets much better reach and wider DOF when people are moving making sure you get the focus just right. If I was a Canon shooter I would only use APS-C sensor cameras for sports. Why would a sports shooter not want the extra reach? If noise is well controlled the FF does not seem like a better option for sports. That's just my opinion, but lugging around huge gear with lenses that don't have near the reach on FF compared to the crop sensors just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have done a ton of sports shooting and I regularly need 400mm length. Much easier to achieve in a crop camera. I hae frankly been surprised that Canon didn't offer a higher level sports camera in the crop format. Especially since the newer APS-C sensors are doing so much better in the noise category. Looks like this camera is going to be a real winner.
    I also think the fact they chose to call it 7D is to get some people to accept the idea that a crop sensor camera can be considered a true "Pro" camera. This is not made just for amateurs.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    If this is true, I know what my 2nd body is going to be! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Finally some more concrete info! The speculations have been amusing, but reality is even more intriguing :D

If the price stays in that region, has killer high ISO performance and it really is a crop (a few days agoI read some speculations that it might be ff or 1.3 that accepts EFS lenses, although that now seems to be debunked by the further trickle of information), it might well be on my list after the initial price starts to come down a little bit.... mwink.gif

DM your recent posts have had me ROTFL!!! You have become a real GEEK!!! I've noticed the metamorphosis happening for a while. Or had you merely been hiding that particular light under a bushel up till now?:D:D:D

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    DM your recent posts have had me ROTFL!!! You have become a real GEEK!!! I've noticed the metamorphosis happening for a while. Or had you merely been hiding that particular light under a bushel up till now?:D:D:D

Neil

oooOOOOoooh nOOOOooo.... :smo my secret has been discovered!!!!

'Tis true... as long as it doesn't involve any actual math, I am a closet geek, although very much on a "need to know" rather than universal basis. I usually hide it well, but occasionally my inner techie comes out to play.... :Drolleyes1.gif :lol

As for following this particular story, however, it's with intent rather than idle interest: even when I bought my Xsi last year I knew that it would either be a stepping-stone body, or ultimately become a second body. I didn't really want the 50d (too similar to the 40d, which is already extremely similar in processor and performance to the Xsi), the 5dII is WAY out of my price league, and so I've just been waiting and watching in the hope a choice would present itself. Plus, I finally have some WORK booked for the next few months, so I might actually have some money again (now let's hope these contracts don't actually get cancelled - 3 out of 4 booked gigs went south this year, so it has been pretty bad. All of my camera-gear purchases this year were funded by photographic gig-lets and/or sale of existing gear to fund them.....)
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Your development in all kinds of ways here has been amazing to see. And it's obvious you are a survivor. I wish you all the best, and I hope those gigs stay your side of the border and you are able to get the camera of your dreams, when the manufacturers get around to it!

I have discovered a similar geeky side to my own nature since getting into photography, and I enjoy the gear and the tech side of things for their own sake, as much as the actual taking of pictures.

Take care.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    canonrumors.com
    1. 18MP APSC CMOS
    2. Dual DIGIC 4
    3. 8 FPS (94 FINE JPEG/ 15 RAW)
    4. New eight-directional double cross central AF point, total 19 cross AF points
    5. ISO 100-6400 (Exp 12800)
    6. 100% 1.0X magni VF with intelligent display, horizon assist
    7. New iFCL metering (exposure and colour)
    8. 3′ 920K Version II LCD, 160 deg viewing
    9. Full HD video (w external mic input n HDMI output)
    10. Live view w Face-priority AF
    11. New switch for Live View/Video mode
    12. Aero-dynamic body design, metallic shutter sound, 150K shutter life
    13. New 24mm built-in flash, supports EOS intelligent speedlite system
    14. A.L.O
    15. P.I.C
    16. Picture style
    17. EOS Integrated Dust Removal system

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/8689636.jpg

I can't decide if this should replace my 1D2N.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Your development in all kinds of ways here has been amazing to see. And it's obvious you are a survivor. I wish you all the best, and I hope those gigs stay your side of the border and you are able to get the camera of your dreams, when the manufacturers get around to it!

I have discovered a similar geeky side to my own nature since getting into photography, and I enjoy the gear and the tech side of things for their own sake, as much as the actual taking of pictures.

Take care.

Neil

Thanks for the very kind words, Neil iloveyou.gif

Back to the subject at hand... every trickle of info about the 7D makes it sound more and more intriguing! Hopefully tomorrow some of the magazines and pundits will start previewing - am very interested to hear the reality of this new beast! thumb.gif