Options

NiceNames

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Here's what I do, tell me how we can improve.

I'm in this category
    http://andytheme.smugmug.com/Electronics

I choose Add Photos to make a new gallery.
    I type in this for gallery title:
    My First stereo with 8 track tape deck

20090831-cm3t3n1mt4s1dtpq1hwcf12dtx.jpg

which is too long for a NiceName, so I see a red error message.

I go to the NiceName box and I just delete all the stuff after the word 'stereo' and I'm good. I have a NiceName that is memorable (if I care).

Now, my question, from a 'can-we-improve-this' standpoint:

Should we stop at 30 automatically in the NiceName Box?

Should we give you a character counter so you know how many are left?

Would these be helpful?
    Andy, it's pretty simple. It should always auto-generate a legal nice name. That means legal characters, under the length limit and no conflict with any other nice names in scope and it complies with any other rules it must follow.

All he wants is to not have to mess with the nicename if he doesn't want to. My guess is that you already have this functionality in the API because you likely support earlier generations of the API that just created a category, sub-category or gallery without a nicename being specified at all (so the API had to just auto generate a legal one).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    klinquistklinquist Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    I just noticed this feature this morning - THANK YOU! Love it. Since browsers are now doing substring search history in the location bar, it makes finding albums much easier.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    sirsloop wrote:
    What is the hang up on 30 characters?

Right now, I expect, performance reasons. We have a lot of galleries!
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Andy, it's pretty simple.

Sorry, what's the API have to do with this? I'd really, really appreciate answers to my two questions, also - thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry, what's the API have to do with this? I'd really, really appreciate answers to my two questions, also - thanks!
    Just that you already have the functionality internally for auto-creating a unique gallery name when none is specified or when the category name is too long or when the category name contains characters that can't be in the nicename. There are several reasons you already have this functionality. First, you auto-created nice names for every single category, sub-category and gallery in your entire system already. Second, the API allows one to create a category, sub-category or gallery without specifying a nicename, thus you must have the code to automatically create a legal one no matter what the other name was.

On the two questions, I presume you are asking for an answer from sirloop, but here are my thoughts on them.

Just stopping at 30 chars is better than what you have now, but is not the full solution. If one has multiple galleries in the same category or sub-category and the only place the full name differs is after the 30 char mark (which can happen if you have a long name and then a year afterwards), then this won't be creating unique nicenames for the user and they will have to manually intervene which is what folks want to avoid.

A character counter is just a band-aid. The code should just automatically create a unique and legal name without human intervention. So, that the human only has to intervene if they want to. That's the whole point of this issue.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Now, my question, from a 'can-we-improve-this' standpoint:

Would these be helpful?

yes

yes

yes
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    A character counter is just a band-aid.

I kinda thought it would be useful in typing up a nicename.....
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    ehh... it would be nice if you are typing in your own name. Adding that functionality is not hard. For anyone else, having it "legal" auto generate a nicename or allowing more than 30chars is probably going to be more important.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    On the two questions,
    Thanks! Talking to {JT} and Wade about some possible changes.
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Just stopping at 30 chars is better than what you have now, but is not the full solution. If one has multiple galleries in the same category or sub-category and the only place the full name differs is after the 30 char mark (which can happen if you have a long name and then a year afterwards), then this won't be creating unique nicenames for the user and they will have to manually intervene which is what folks want to avoid.

A character counter is just a band-aid. The code should just automatically create a unique and legal name without human intervention. So, that the human only has to intervene if they want to. That's the whole point of this issue.

It reminds of the situation when Windows 95 introduced long filenames (increased from the old DOS style 8 character filenames).

Old programs still had to support the old 8 character filenames, so for compatibility, it automatically created unique 8 character filenames for each long filename.
    So for example:
    "My Filename Document January.doc" was also "MYFILE~1.DOC"
    "My Filename Document February.doc" was also "MYFILE~2.DOC"

Maybe with the default nice names, it could do something similar if it's hitting up against the 30 char limit and there would be a duplicate name if truncated to 30 chars?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Ever since NiceNames was implemented not one thumbnail shows in
    Statcounter using a NiceName link.This is a major degrade. Am I
    missing something? They do show for non-NiceName links.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Can you please show an example? Maybe Statcounter needs to update, I'm not sure?
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Can you please show an example? Maybe Statcounter needs to update, I'm not sure?
    Here's each example
    639246030_cZULf-XL.jpg

639246004_XZdaf-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    I have the same issue. I presume that's because you're running a GreaseMonkey script on your local computer to add the thumbs to the statcounter display and that add-in script hasn't been updated to know about the new form of URLs that nicenames use. I've been meaning to look and see if there's an upgrade to that script and, if not, fix it myself but I won't have time to look at that for a little bit.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I have the same issue. I presume that's because you're running a GreaseMonkey script on your local computer to add the thumbs to the statcounter display and that add-in script hasn't been updated to know about the new form of URLs that nicenames use. I've been meaning to look and see if there's an upgrade to that script and, if not, fix it myself but I won't' have time to look at that for a little bit.
    You are so right, the script needs to be updated, it's been so long ago I
    forgot about that. Thanks John
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2009
    apparently no changes have been made to nicenames because its annoying as ever to make galleries. ne_nau.gifdunno
  • Options
    I figured out the solution!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes

1. Open Notepad :bash
    2. Pre-make every gallery name I need for this session of frustration
    3. Copy and paste the gallery names into the new gallery name field so no minor editing needs to be performed there
    4. Erase characters in the retardnames field until the error dissapears. :bash:bash
  • Options
    sirsloop wrote:
    apparently no changes have been made to nicenames because its annoying as ever to make galleries. ne_nau.gifdunno
    I too am hoping for some improvements. The JS nicename generation function can't even keep up with my typing on a quad core CPU and then ends up dropping keystrokes. It is annoying. Thank goodness I create most of my galleries in StarExplorer where I don't see it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

Would these be helpful?
    Yes, Yes, and yes. Especially if these can be implemented immediately. These would help immediately while a better solution is designed.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    One suggestion I would like to see for the feature is to generate the name once the field is exited vs on-the-fly. I'm finding that I have to type gallery names instead of cut and paste for a system generated nicename to auto-generate.

The heart of the issue is the human intervention. Right now it is required, adding time to our workflow. If it becomes automated in a way that we have to adjust it very little, nicenames would be a feature that adds something without taking anything away.
  • Options
    SamirD wrote:
    One suggestion I would like to see for the feature is to generate the name once the field is exited vs on-the-fly. I'm finding that I have to type gallery names instead of cut and paste for a system generated nicename to auto-generate.

The heart of the issue is the human intervention. Right now it is required, adding time to our workflow. If it becomes automated in a way that we have to adjust it very little, nicenames would be a feature that adds something without taking anything away.
    I would consider that a bug if it doesn't generate a nice name after a paste operation. You should file that in the bug forum. All changes to the edit field should update the generated nicename.

As a work-around, I presume you could hit space/back-space after the paste.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Bass10Bass10 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 15, 2009
    When editing the nice names for categories and subcategories it forces an uppercase first letter.

Nice names for galleries allow nice names with a lowercase first letter. I want my urls to be all lowercase.

Is this a bug or the intended functionality?
  • Options
    Bass10 wrote:
    When editing the nice names for categories and subcategories it forces an uppercase first letter.

Nice names for galleries allow nice names with a lowercase first letter. I want my urls to be all lowercase.

Is this a bug or the intended functionality?
    That seems like a bug to me. You should be able to type any legal nicename there I would think - that is after all the point of editable nicenames, giving you control. Perhaps you want to file this in the bug reporting sub-forum so the bug meister sees it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    jfriend wrote:
    I would consider that a bug if it doesn't generate a nice name after a paste operation. You should file that in the bug forum. All changes to the edit field should update the generated nicename.

As a work-around, I presume you could hit space/back-space after the paste.
    Thank you for the heads up. I'll file the bug. Space/back-space doesn't fix it. In fact, I really can't get auto-nicenames to work except when first creating a gallery.
  • Options
    jfriend wrote:
    That seems like a bug to me. You should be able to type any legal nicename there I would think - that is after all the point of editable nicenames, giving you control. Perhaps you want to file this in the bug reporting sub-forum so the bug meister sees it.
    not a bug. Smug Sorcery has decreed that it must be capital letters for Cat names and Sub cat names.

So, while on Smug, the letters must be capped, if you wish, you can use

http://yourname.smugmug.com/yourcategory/yoursubcategory

and it'll work fine :)
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    not a bug. Smug Sorcery has decreed that it must be capital letters for Cat names and Sub cat names.

So, while on Smug, the letters must be capped, if you wish, you can use

http://yourname.smugmug.com/yourcategory/yoursubcategory

and it'll work fine :)
    Can you explain why? Is this to discern a nicename URL from a category URL?

Also it would be nice if a note to this effect was in the screen where you can edit nicenames so people wouldn't think it was a bug.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    jfriend wrote:
    Can you explain why?
    No, I can't, I'm sorry.
    Also it would be nice if a note to this effect was in the screen where you can edit nicenames so people wouldn't think it was a bug.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I have the same issue. I presume that's because you're running a GreaseMonkey script on your local computer to add the thumbs to the statcounter display and that add-in script hasn't been updated to know about the new form of URLs that nicenames use. I've been meaning to look and see if there's an upgrade to that script and, if not, fix it myself but I won't have time to look at that for a little bit.
    ear.gif:Dbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Any news on this?
    :hide
  • Options
    Loïc FontaineLoïc Fontaine Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:

That is really a pity to have a Nicename that is case sensitive.
    By definition (cf smugmug/help) "The NiceName gives your gallery a clean, easy-to-remember URL."

Our customer having to remember that some letters are uppercase is not what I would call "easy-to-remember URL". It is very common to most of internet users that an url is not case sensitive.

I would be very interested to understand the reason behind that strange choice. rolleyes1.gif