Options

Logged in issue - toolbars not showing up

13»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    LPC wrote:
    I never used to have to before a day or two prior my first post in this thread which now feels like forever ago. Once I touched base by clicking on the 'Home' button on my home page then every page I visited thereafter was logged in. Now I click on 'Home', all the buttons come up on the Homepage and the Category pages but not any of the Gallery pages until I refresh again.

You can try but last time it made it worse. Let's give it a go!

1. Go to www.smugmug.com and login (because you have no login button on your site).

2. then go here: http://www.laurencecounter.com/ (put that in your bookmarks toolbar :D )

3. refresh the page or click on a link in your navbar.

You should be logged in.
  • Options
    Andy,
    After you login please go to this link and THEN use your navbar links.

http://www.loicfontaine.com
  • Options
    Loïc FontaineLoïc Fontaine Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    Andy wrote:
    After you login please go to this link and THEN use your navbar links.

http://www.loicfontaine.com
    I don't get your point here.
    I especially don't want to naviguate under my custom site but want to naviguate under mynickname.smugmug.com because the "Be Social" function is only working under the mynickname.
  • Options
    I don't get your point here.
    I especially don't want to naviguate under my custom site but want to naviguate under mynickname.smugmug.com because the "Be Social" function is only working under the mynickname.
    We fixed that.

http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2009/09/11/sales-history-cropping-and-get-a-link-september-11th-2009/

Use your custom name please.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    1. Go to www.smugmug.com and login (because you have no login button on your site).

2. then go here: http://www.laurencecounter.com/ (put that in your bookmarks toolbar :D )

3. refresh the page or click on a link in your navbar.

You should be logged in.

Sorry Andy but it's the same as before. Now when I go to my site as a new browser session I am not logged in anywhere, doesn't matter how many times I refresh.

If I go to Smugmug.com then I am given the option to Logout so I must be logged in and if I go to 'Your Photos' from Smugmug.com then I have access to the buttons on the Homepage and Category pages as before but NOT on any Gallery page.

Anyway we already tried this on August 28th with the same results so I'm afraid I will be changing my links back again as it is the only way to get it at least half working.
  • Options
    Loïc FontaineLoïc Fontaine Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    Andy wrote:

clap.gifwings.gifivarrolleyes1.gif

Oh yes... very good. I'm an happy guy. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    LPC wrote:
    Sorry Andy but it's the same as before. Now when I go to my site as a new browser session I am not logged in anywhere, doesn't matter how many times I refresh.

If I go to Smugmug.com then I am given the option to Logout so I must be logged in and if I go to 'Your Photos' from Smugmug.com then I have access to the buttons on the Homepage and Category pages as before but NOT on any Gallery page.

Anyway we already tried this on August 28th with the same results so I'm afraid I will be changing my links back again as it is the only way to get it at least half working.

Do not change the links back. We need to get to the bottom of this for you. Can you come to SmugChat?
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/SmugChat
  • Options
    LPC wrote:
    Laurence, are your IE8 cookie settings exactly like this?

20090911-bc1gkyqf2my6uumcqxjkhnimht.jpg

this is optional, won't hurt: Specifically adding your domain and smugmug
    20090911-xqnxjxig9wsgd88cp7bcr6iy4c.jpg
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Laurence, are your IE8 cookie settings exactly like this?

20090911-bc1gkyqf2my6uumcqxjkhnimht.jpg

this is optional, won't hurt: Specifically adding your domain and smugmug
    20090911-xqnxjxig9wsgd88cp7bcr6iy4c.jpg

Mine are the same except I have 'Always allow session cookies' checked.

And I added smugmug and my site to the allowed list some time ago.
  • Options
    DarlingDarling Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    tools not active
    I have a similar issue: When I go to my domain name, I am not logged in but when I go to Smugmug.com then it shows I am logged in and I go to My Photos, and then I have to refresh the page. Now I can see the tools bars but they are not active. I click but they don't go anywhere.

www.janewaddick.com
  • Options
    PhotosbySundeePhotosbySundee Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2009
    I think I am experiencing a similiar thing. I was in the process of uploading 660 photos each limited to 1800px, I interrupted the upload to look into a different loader (Send to Smugmug) because it was slow. I now wanted to delete the 32 photos that were in the gallery but when I go to my site www.photosbysundee.com it shows me as logged in right away and I have the tool bar all the way thru going to my Clients (in Navbar) and then choosing subcag Weddings, once I select a particular gallary I no longer have the Tool menu options to do any editing. I can't figure out what is wrong. I did try refreshing, and I did check my internet options to allow cookies and such. I am unsure if I had used some code that is not allowing the toolbar to be seen. When I am in a gallery it no longer looks as if I am in Owner View. What do I need to do?

I am using Vista, IE7

Sundee
  • Options
    LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Is anyone else still experiencing this, or was there any solution?

Usually going to www.smugmug.com and then clicking "My homepage" and then reloading will work.
    going directly to my site usually requires me to reload a couple of times, but occasionally I have to go to smugmug.com.
    This seems to happen across chrome/ff/ie.

My site is linhphoto.com

HOWEVER.... I've noticed if I go to linhphoto.smugmug.com, it seems to work consistently. I have my domain routed via an A pointer because I use my domain with google apps as well (they need a CNAME entry). That's the only thing I would gather that might cause an issue?
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    This was never resolved Linh - I have just got used to using Ctrl F5 every time :skippy
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    Linh wrote: »
    Is anyone else still experiencing this, or was there any solution?

Usually going to www.smugmug.com and then clicking "My homepage" and then reloading will work.
    going directly to my site usually requires me to reload a couple of times, but occasionally I have to go to smugmug.com.
    This seems to happen across chrome/ff/ie.

My site is linhphoto.com

HOWEVER.... I've noticed if I go to linhphoto.smugmug.com, it seems to work consistently. I have my domain routed via an A pointer because I use my domain with google apps as well (they need a CNAME entry). That's the only thing I would gather that might cause an issue?

Linh, your issue is that your domain is not setup properly. We announced CNAME changes over a year ago, to speed up your pro sites massively :) Here's more info, http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141333 and write our Support Heroes so we can help you directly from the help desk thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    LPC wrote: »
    This was never resolved Linh - I have just got used to using Ctrl F5 every time :skippy

You just need to set the cookie when you get to your custom domain. So, log in, then go to your site, and refresh the browser, now the cookie is set and you'll be all set thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    You just need to set the cookie when you get to your custom domain. So, log in, then go to your site, and refresh the browser, now the cookie is set and you'll be all set thumb.gif

No, still doesn't work - it's exactly as it was a year ago. If I logout, login at Smugmug, go to my site and refresh then yes fine. If I close the browser however then the very next time I go to my site (and every time thereafter) I have to refresh again on my homepage and when I go to any Gallery.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    LPC wrote: »
    No, still doesn't work - it's exactly as it was a year ago. If I logout, login at Smugmug, go to my site and refresh then yes fine. If I close the browser however then the very next time I go to my site (and every time thereafter) I have to refresh again on my homepage and when I go to any Gallery.
    do you blast cookies when you close your browser? How do you have the cookies option set in your browser?
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    Linh, your issue is that your domain is not setup properly. We announced CNAME changes over a year ago, to speed up your pro sites massively :) Here's more info, http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141333 and write our Support Heroes so we can help you directly from the help desk thanks!

I'm aware of the CNAME change, but had to leave it out for the time being. I thought I had a problem with google apps with it. However, I did change it to CNAME this morning as it seems I'm clear for it now.

But would it even affect the toolbars in this way? My cookie settings are as shown in the screen shots above, just testing with IE for now. Tried similar settings in chrome as well.

I have also noticed I have to log in from time to time again, usually when dealing with the control panel, such as getting into customizations or double checking my account settings. I feel it's somehow related
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    But would it even affect the toolbars in this way?

Yes, it can.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    I have also noticed I have to log in from time to time again, usually when dealing with the control panel, such as getting into customizations or double checking my account settings. I feel it's somehow related

No, not related. We force a 2nd login here, for security purposes.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2010
    Yes, it can.

ah, ok. Well, seems like it's somewhat improved. I still have to reload the first time I go to my page, but it seems more consistent now afterwards.
    No, not related. We force a 2nd login here, for security purposes.

good to know
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    I've noticed I have this issue again (happened after some supposed CNAME changes recenetly on the smugmug side of things). I've cleared the cache and tried against chrome 10 and FF4. I cannot do CNAME for my domain, linhphoto.com for both the root domain and www.linhphoto.com because I have my own email host.

If I go to nickname.smugmug.com, it works all the time so it seems. So either by that, or after many refresh attempts, it finally gets in and the toolbar generally stays there till the next time I visit.

Anyone else running into this, or is it just my setup since not both www and linhphoto.com are CNAMEs? if it's my setup, I can't be the only one who does this?
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 28, 2011
    Linh,

Lets start simple. Your custom domain is setup using the www.linhphoto.com version. But, some of your customizations were using the linhphoto.com version. There is an automatic redirect used to switch visitors and you from the root domain to the www.linhphoto.com version that is in your domain settings. I corrected those links as that could be causing the problem. Try your site and see if that improves things for you. We may need to look a bit at your customizations as I have seen similar problems before. It may be a bug as we do have some issues with the logins but not like this that I have seen so far.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2011
    docwalker wrote: »
    Linh,

Lets start simple. Your custom domain is setup using the www.linhphoto.com version. But, some of your customizations were using the linhphoto.com version. There is an automatic redirect used to switch visitors and you from the root domain to the www.linhphoto.com version that is in your domain settings. I corrected those links as that could be causing the problem. Try your site and see if that improves things for you. We may need to look a bit at your customizations as I have seen similar problems before. It may be a bug as we do have some issues with the logins but not like this that I have seen so far.

--Doc

Doc, thanks for changing that. I'm going to guess it was the header images, totally forgot about those. I also fixed my bio box w/ the HTML5 slideshow, too.

I was still getting issues at random, but it seemed to be better. I can't prove it, but it felt like clicking through links was more successful at getting back/keeping the full toolbar visible. Refresh button/ctrl+r/f5/etc seemed less successful.

I log in through smugmug because I hide the login on my main page. after it redirects, I can get stuck w/o a toolbar on my main page for a while. Going elsewhere and coming back seems to help (or of course, going to the nickname url). Once it shows up, it usually doesn't go away. If it does, one refresh back seems to bring it back. It's just that initial viewing... it struggles.

So, I thought it might be the HTML5 slideshow. I may have slimmed it down. After logging in through smugmug, I still don't get the toolbar. HOWEVER, after 1 refresh (or clicking the header to reload), I get my toolbars. I have seemingly consistently done this (cleared my cache too in FF4).

I have since put back the slideshow since none of this seemingly affects viewers, it's just an admin issue. But if there's anything you'd like me to try or change to test (or have a better way for me to test), let me know and I'll do what I can.

Thanks
    Linh
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2011
    I keep letting this slide to the wayside, but does anyone else still see this issue where you have to refresh quite a bit before you see your toolbars and such? It's not a dire issue, as I usually just use my smugmug subdomain to get through and deal w/ refreshing. But it is always annoying, and I'm wondering if anything else has come about that I should give a shot at.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2011
    I keep letting this slide to the wayside, but does anyone else still see this issue where you have to refresh quite a bit before you see your toolbars and such? It's not a dire issue, as I usually just use my smugmug subdomain to get through and deal w/ refreshing. But it is always annoying, and I'm wondering if anything else has come about that I should give a shot at.

It's never been resolved in my case but I have got used to using CTRL F5 every time I visit my site. It's just something I have to do to access my own toolbars and I take it for granted now.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2011

It's just that the logged-in cookie isn't set on your custom domain, that's all. Refreshing sets the cookie there, too.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2011
    It's just that the logged-in cookie isn't set on your custom domain, that's all. Refreshing sets the cookie there, too.

I've done all the IE settings suggested here, and found similar settings in chrome to try. Across IE/FF/Chrome I seem to get the same results regardless. If I just had to refresh once, I would care even less =) But what has been nagging at me is that after numerous times (I've counted 11 refreshes before =/) it doesn't stick. And when it does, I navigate to a sub category... it could disappear and I have to refresh it again.

I some customizing, so I've wondered if there's something in that. Other than what was pointed out to me before in some of my links, not sure what else it could be. I have quite a few !important flags to override some CSS things, as well as multiple custom headers.. but plenty of folks have that.

I'm curious, those that have problems, what's your custom domain setup like? provider? other cname settings (basically do you use google apps with your domain)? are you pointing subdomains elsewhere as well?
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2011
    Well, I wanted to update that I think my problem got resolved. Clicking on the "Control Panel" link on the toolbar sent me back to the front smugmug page for a totally new issue. So I decided to email the helpdesk to try figure out where I'm going wrong. I could have sworn I wrote off the javascript front page as the issue... but that was seemingly the issue. I took out the JS, and was able to consistently reload once and get my toolbars (I still couldn't get it going directly to my domain, had to go to smugmug, then click my homepage as I hide the login on my site).

So kudos to the helpdesk for dealing with my error. And maybe this could be an issue for anyone else they might want to look into.