Options

smugmug and Internet Explorer 5 get a divorce

2»

Comments

• Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Since IE6 is free what is the big deal to upgrade. The 1% - 5% of IE5 users can upgrade.

Sorta like "Tuff-Love". It's for their own good. :D
    They will first have to buy a new computer to upgrade their operating system. Mac OS 9 cannot run IE6 or Firefox or Safari.

Gary
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    The benefits of upgrading from OS9 reach far beyond simply running a new browser, so it should be very easy to justify new hardware if they need it.
    muddyknees wrote:
    They will first have to buy a new computer to upgrade their operating system. Mac OS 9 cannot run IE6 or Firefox or Safari.

Gary
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    Not everyone can afford new hardware. They have donated computers as they can't afford the basics.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    Perhaps the local public library would be a better place for those people to do their Smugmugging? That way they wouldn't have to even pay for the internet connection.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    The benefits of upgrading from OS9 reach far beyond simply running a new browser, so it should be very easy to justify new hardware if they need it.
    The perception of "need" will depend on what else their limited money, and/or time-to shop and upgrade/move all their apps&data and learn new apps (eg, migrate away from Quark for example, which I understand isn't supported on OS10) -what all that time and money is really needed for in their lives - likely they'll just decide to skip the pleasure of looking at someone's photo's on smugmug for now.

It may also be an older mac they use at work - hard to justify to the boss to upgrade them so they can view some pictures.

Sure they might also go find another computer if they're really that motivated to view some photo's.

Gary

In my experience I never even learn that someone has forgotten my URL.

Gary
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 7, 2005
    It was over 3 years ago that Apple officially pronounced OS 9 dead, halting all development and upgrading for that system. We hate to cut off people, but the 1% is holding back what we can do for the other 99%. We have done our best to support an operating system that Apple no longer even supports, but if we are to move forward we have to officially drop it.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    I think it's a good thing.

A small %, a very small %, shouldn't hold back forward progress for the majority. If that was the case, we'd all still be using rotary phones, and 2800 baud modems.

I personally will put in my cobranding: "This page requires either Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, Firefox, or Safari to be viewed properly."

This is a business, and they aren't going to harm themselves by eliminating potential customers. They've done the math and it works for them. I'm happy we're moving forward.thumb.gif
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    muddyknees wrote:
    What are you going to do about smugmug account holders who are on OS 9?

I know one member that I turned on to smugmug who I know is a mac user and may be still OS 9 - I've got a message to her to find out.

Gary

Much of smugmug will probably still continue to function with IE5, you just won't have as nice of a display or all the neat new tools.

Officially, it'll be unsupported, but we're not going to lock people out of the site if they dont' have the right browser.

Don
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Much of smugmug will probably still continue to function with IE5, you just won't have as nice of a display or all the neat new tools.

Officially, it'll be unsupported, but we're not going to lock people out of the site if they dont' have the right browser.

Don

And it's not like it should come as a shock ... lots of pages on the net right now are ugly, or broken, or both on IE5. They're used to it, I'm afraid.

Don
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    I smell a PC user :)

Quark is on it's third release for OSX and has been out for two years.

And all of the old Apps that they may have for OS9 can be installed in OSX and run in classic mode, some with virtually no performance hit.
    muddyknees wrote:
    The perception of "need" will depend on what else their limited money, and/or time-to shop and upgrade/move all their apps&data and learn new apps (eg, migrate away from Quark for example, which I understand isn't supported on OS10) -what all that time and money is really needed for in their lives - likely they'll just decide to skip the pleasure of looking at someone's photo's on smugmug for now.

It may also be an older mac they use at work - hard to justify to the boss to upgrade them so they can view some pictures.

Sure they might also go find another computer if they're really that motivated to view some photo's.

Gary

In my experience I never even learn that someone has forgotten my URL.

Gary
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    Beyond that, IE 5 for Mac was itself pronounced dead almost two years ago. MS saw that Safari was a far superior browser and decided their course of action - no more IE 5 releases ... ever.
    Ben wrote:
    It was over 3 years ago that Apple officially pronounced OS 9 dead, halting all development and upgrading for that system. We hate to cut off people, but the 1% is holding back what we can do for the other 99%. We have done our best to support an operating system that Apple no longer even supports, but if we are to move forward we have to officially drop it.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    I smell a PC user :)

Quark is on it's third release for OSX and has been out for two years.

And all of the old Apps that they may have for OS9 can be installed in OSX and run in classic mode, some with virtually no performance hit.
    snif snif - I dont smell nothin'ne_nau.gif

Yep, I've been a bit of a macophobe - but seem to find myself among a disproportionate number of mac users right now and am trying to learn.

I guess my web research (for my group's coincidental web site revamp problem) must have pulled up some old message before an OSX release of Quark was out. (shoulda checked my sources!)

It turns out that the mac person I mentioned earlier with the smugmug account is OSX, and of the two other OS9 users I talked to today, one hates having to use that old machine at work and hopes to be upgraded soon but also has a newer PC available, and the other is probably going to buy a PC tomorrow (coincidentally).

All of this helped us decide to not worry about IE5 compatibility for _our_ web site. So, I supose I could say thanks for leading the way and helping us justify our decision.

Gary
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    And it's not like it should come as a shock ... lots of pages on the net right now are ugly, or broken, or both on IE5. They're used to it, I'm afraid.

Don
    Yeah, true enough. Seems mac users have to tolerate alot. Wait longer for sysadmins to figure out how to integrate them into the network, get backups working, printers visible, etc etc.

Gary