MC#5 - Make it Stop!

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited September 7, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Yikes I am the first one to enter into the gallery - I hope that is ok?

634739150_YA6rL-L.jpg

Shot this yesterday, the exposure is about 4 seconds with several strobe pops while the shutter was open to achieve the motion effect. This is a collage of about 6-7 of the loudest images.

Feedback is welcome. Hopefully its not too "dark" for some of you.

Comments

• CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Very interesting. I like it.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    REALLY like this image! Great idea, great coloring, great execution. However (there's always a however isn't there), the faces in the center overlap too much for my taste. Is there some way to get just little separation? The hand in the front overpowers the face peeking out on the left. This would probably involve a reshoot so it is just a thought if you do. Great work as usual though.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Sean, great image! I'm getting a "voices in my head" kind of message here. Yes, it's creepy and dark, but also very strong. The only thing I can suggest here would be to darken the left and right sides of the image. There seems to be light falling in the center of the image there and it's pulling me out a bit. Other than that, very fine work. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Kevin, thank you so much for your feedback - I certainly see what you are saying, your comment actually solidifies for me that I actually achieved the goal. The hand overpowering the face peeking out is actually supposed to do exactly that, since the main focal point is the hand and the non-peeking face, the extra overlap is to keep the flow of motion and energy. as well as the feeling of pure unabated noise or screaming voices that plague our unfortunate subject.

Each of the separate images that you see in the EXIF gallery seem to stand on thier own to a point but I hoped a triptych style would effectively bombard the viewer even further in the the chaos.

It is always great to hear how an image is absorbed and it's reaction.

Thank you.
    KevXman wrote:
    REALLY like this image! Great idea, great coloring, great execution. However (there's always a however isn't there), the faces in the center overlap too much for my taste. Is there some way to get just little separation? The hand in the front overpowers the face peeking out on the left. This would probably involve a reshoot so it is just a thought if you do. Great work as usual though.
    — Kevin

If there was not a however - how would we know how to push towards bigger and better things?
    edited August 30, 2009
    Sean, great image! I'm getting a "voices in my head" kind of message here. Yes, it's creepy and dark, but also very strong. The only thing I can suggest here would be to darken the left and right sides of the image. There seems to be light falling in the center of the image there and it's pulling me out a bit. Other than that, very fine work. thumb.gif

Thank you so much Emily! Your insight and eye are invaluable.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 30, 2009
    very cool indeed! I agree with Emily...I little dark vinette on the sides will also justify the fading elbow of the guy on the left. Super image and idea!thumb.gif
  • Mad CatMad Cat Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    very cool indeed! I agree with Emily...I little dark vinette on the sides will also justify the fading elbow of the guy on the left. Super image and idea!thumb.gif

Duuuude! This image captures something primal - I can so totally relate - reminds me of the first time my neice made me watch a Lady Gaga video on YouTube!thumb.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    it is so good I am covering my ears too. Please make it Stop.

Dark?? yea maybe a little underexposed but I think it adds to itmwink.gifrofl
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited August 31, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Dark?? yea maybe a little underexposed but I think it adds to itmwink.gifrofl

Laughing.gif - exactly why I put the word "dark" in quotes rolleyes1.gif

Thanks CoryUT, JAG, Mad Cat, and Chris for taking the time to comment.

Now I just have to resist the temptation to OVER work it and continue playing, sometimes I find a first crack is better left alone for fear of contamination.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    This is an incredible image; it's very powerful and beautifully shot. I'm just stunned at the level of creativity and the quality here. Very, very well done. bowdown.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    I was thinking about doing the same thing (strobe pops) at the bowling alley. rolleyes1.gif We'll see. ne_nau.gif Great creative shot Sean.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    This may be the first and only image I've seen that in some way evokes memories of "The Scream" that doesn't actually *copy* it.

Bravo!! clap.gif
  • JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    wow! scary, love it!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Like this a lot both in composition/execution and the idea of sound affecting something or someone.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    deep. wild. wow.
    Aaron Nelson
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    This may be the first and only image I've seen that in some way evokes memories of "The Scream" that doesn't actually *copy* it.

Bravo!! clap.gif

That's what it reminded me of! Thanks Diva

Very interesting.... I like this, in some weird sort of way.
    edited August 31, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    This is an incredible image; it's very powerful and beautifully shot. I'm just stunned at the level of creativity and the quality here. Very, very well done. bowdown.gif

Thank you so much Kinkajou, for your kind words.

I have to agree with your comment about the level of creativity here it is one of the reasons why I love to participate in every round if I can. Each participant offers so much in inspiration and learning that even just the act of following the challenge is invaluable.
    edited August 31, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I was thinking about doing the same thing (strobe pops) at the bowling alley. rolleyes1.gif We'll see. ne_nau.gif Great creative shot Sean.

Oh My - I'm glad you put brackets around (strobe pops), for a second I thought you were screaming at the bowling alley. It's only a gutter ball mwink.gif

Thanks for the support. I hope you get a Strike with yours!
    edited August 31, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Bravo!! clap.gif
    WOW - that is so cool! I did not think of it when creating it, now that you bring it to my attention..... I am honored to have it compared to that painting. Thank you!

(looking at it again even the color scheme is somewhat similar, freaky :cool)
    edited August 31, 2009
    deep. wild. wow.

Thanks Aaron! - getting a reaction from you like this is, truly cool
    edited August 31, 2009
    Jermbubba wrote:
    wow! scary, love it!

Thank you Jermbubba, adbsgicom and dnie for commenting. I am glad that it's not sending people screaming for the hills. rolleyes1.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    Now I just have to resist the temptation to OVER work it and continue playing, sometimes I find a first crack is better left alone for fear of contamination.

15524779-Ti.gif

Sean, this is really good. I would not change a thing. :D

Resist....resist... listen to the voices in your head telling you to resist....rolleyes1.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Fantastic idea and realization, Sean!!!

- As always :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Nice work, I have to say that everytime I look at it, I'm reminded of

Smeagle from Lord of the Rings (no offense :D )

Well, you already know I have a warped sense of humor..lol

Peace and best of luck in the challenge.

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited September 1, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Sean, this is really good. I would not change a thing. :D

Resist....resist... listen to the voices in your head telling you to resist....rolleyes1.gif
    "resistance is futile" :nono ~ Thanks Linda!

photo-bug wrote:
    Fantastic idea and realization, Sean!!!
    Thanks for the positive vibes Tatiana

Tentacion wrote:
    everytime I look at it, I'm reminded of

Smeagle from Lord of the Rings (no offense :D )
    No offense taken - it isn't me in the photo and now that you bring the correlation to my attention ~ Smeagle is a very tormented soul so that comparison is a compliment in my books - thank you!
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    This is an awesome shot!
    edited September 6, 2009
    This is an awesome shot!

Why thank you! I'm so glad you like it. biggrinbounce2.gif
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    A little late.. but I'll add my two cents worth of accolades
    Very well done, Sean. I have been admiring your photo ever since you posted it. Awesome work!
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2009
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif Sweet!
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    Can't wait to see a behind the scene on this one.

Nice work...

g