Blue Angels

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited September 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
The Blue Angels came for the airshow a few weeks ago. Its just amazing to watch them fly. Lucky for me and sad for my dogs...they practiced right over my house. Photos aren't great, but still somewhat nice to see. Heard somewhere they fly only 18" apart....that's close :yikes Hope you enjoy them.

644107669_cJP3C-L.jpg

There's a bird flying above the planes...not a good thing.
644107617_7ad8Y-L.jpg

644107523_ABv83-L.jpg

644107588_Ja68X-L.jpg

644107501_9J7GX-L.jpg

Comments

• xxclixxxxxclixxx Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Nice! I live near a base where they have air shows, this past year I was able to get a press pass and get up close shots of the blue angels (takeoff preparations). You might want to try getting one next time they are around. My friend was able to get a great shot of the crowd watching.. from a helicopter ;-)

It never occurred to me to try getting access, because I'm no big name newspaper, but with online social media being a buzz right now they were very open to getting photos of the event in various online places.
    Tim Linden
    http://www.riphoto.com/
    Please Vote - External Shopping Cart Links:
    http://uservoice.com/a/mL8RD
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    xxclixxx wrote:
    Nice! I live near a base where they have air shows, this past year I was able to get a press pass and get up close shots of the blue angels (takeoff preparations). You might want to try getting one next time they are around. My friend was able to get a great shot of the crowd watching.. from a helicopter ;-)

It never occurred to me to try getting access, because I'm no big name newspaper, but with online social media being a buzz right now they were very open to getting photos of the event in various online places.

Thank you for the information Tim -- I would of loved to of had a press pass for this. My only way of photographing the Blue Angels is from my backyard or at the park. I'm cheap -- won't pay the money to get in rolleyes1.gif I know..not the best way to approach it.

Online media -- my hubby keeps telling me about getting involved in that.

You should post some of your photos -- I'd love to see them and I'm sure others would like to see them to :D

Just took a look at your photos -- they are beautiful :)
  • xxclixxxxxclixxx Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Yeah the great thing was the press pass is free. Laughing.gif I'm just like you, wouldn't pay (even though it's technically free here with a "parking donation" Laughing.gif). And then being so close I can go "every year".. so I hadn't gone in a while.

I'll post one that is my favorite. It's the pilots doing their pre-flight ritual (I don't know the technical term is). Without the press pass I wouldn't have been able to get this shot. Shortly after we watched them taxi onto the runway. Didn't realize how loud it would be, or that we'd get blasted with the heat from the engines lol

576496677_YuR8z-M.jpg
    Tim Linden
    http://www.riphoto.com/
    Please Vote - External Shopping Cart Links:
    http://uservoice.com/a/mL8RD
    xxclixxx wrote:
    Yeah the great thing was the press pass is free. Laughing.gif I'm just like you, wouldn't pay (even though it's technically free here with a "parking donation" Laughing.gif). And then being so close I can go "every year".. so I hadn't gone in a while.

I'll post one that is my favorite. It's the pilots doing their pre-flight ritual (I don't know the technical term is). Without the press pass I wouldn't have been able to get this shot. Shortly after we watched them taxi onto the runway. Didn't realize how loud it would be, or that we'd get blasted with the heat from the engines lol

576496677_YuR8z-M.jpg

Awesome photo thumb.gif I like your choice of focal point. Having the press pass does have its benefits as I can see with your photo. I'm going to have to do that the next time. They only come here every 3 years so I'll be ready for the next time. Interesting --- the only one saluting is the first pilot. Wonder why that is?

When you took this were there a lot of press people around?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Great shots! Been forever since I've been to an airshow, and then the Thunderbirds were rained out...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Great shots Mary,

Even though I'm not a pilot, I'm pretty sure that a bird flying above the jets is MUCH BETTER than a bird flying level with the jets rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    Nice shots, Mary! You can't beat an airshow over your house thumb.gif
    It looks like you had some decent conditions for shooting, too often I'm faced with shooting into the sun at airshows - the organizers don't seem to things up with photographers in mind, although an airport on a turntable might be a neat thing to have rolleyes1.gif
    Dogdots wrote:
    Interesting --- the only one saluting is the first pilot. Wonder why that is?
    The line of pilots approach their aircraft in the order in which they are parked (1-6). As they reach each aircraft, the pilot of that jet salutes the crew chief and begins to board, while the rest of the pilots continue down the line, each breaking off at his aircraft and saluting his crew chief.
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Great shots! Been forever since I've been to an airshow, and then the Thunderbirds were rained out...

Thank you Andrew :D

We've been lucky the last three times the Blue Angels have been here -- no rain.
    rwells wrote:
    Great shots Mary,

Even though I'm not a pilot, I'm pretty sure that a bird flying above the jets is MUCH BETTER than a bird flying level with the jets rolleyes1.gif

Randy your right rolleyes1.gif
    moose135 wrote:
    Nice shots, Mary! You can't beat an airshow over your house thumb.gif
    It looks like you had some decent conditions for shooting, too often I'm faced with shooting into the sun at airshows - the organizers don't seem to things up with photographers in mind, although an airport on a turntable might be a neat thing to have rolleyes1.gif

The line of pilots approach their aircraft in the order in which they are parked (1-6). As they reach each aircraft, the pilot of that jet salutes the crew chief and begins to board, while the rest of the pilots continue down the line, each breaking off at his aircraft and saluting his crew chief.

Thank-you for commenting Moose :D

It is wonderful to have these planes fly over the house, but kind of scary too. As for the time of day that they fly....I've always wondered about that since it was around 2:30/3:00pm each day. The sun it just terrible for photo taking and I would think it would be hard for the pilots too. When I went to the park I was on a hill so I could shot in any direction. The ones I took into the sun I dumped rolleyes1.gif

Just wish I had the longer lens I was hoping to get this summer :cry
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    Well done Mary Kim.......I really like the last one thumb.gif azzaro
    Azzaro wrote:
    Well done Mary Kim.......I really like the last one thumb.gif azzaro

Thank you Azzaro :D

The last one was taken towards the sun in my backyard. I almost dumped this one, but thought it might be a keeper anyway. I'm happy you liked it.
    Dogdots wrote:
    As for the time of day that they fly....I've always wondered about that since it was around 2:30/3:00pm each day. The sun it just terrible for photo taking and I would think it would be hard for the pilots too.
    Normally the big military jet teams - Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, Snow Birds, etc. - are the closing performance at a typical air show. After a day of other flying performances, the "stars" of the show close out the day. They usually perform a 30-45 minute routine, and finish around 3:30 - 4pm.
    moose135 wrote:
    Normally the big military jet teams - Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, Snow Birds, etc. - are the closing performance at a typical air show. After a day of other flying performances, the "stars" of the show close out the day. They usually perform a 30-45 minute routine, and finish around 3:30 - 4pm.

Just took a look at your site. Your a plane guy thumb.gif

Have you heard of the Happy Hooligans?

Snow Birds?
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    Great shots!!!! I wish The Blues would practice in my backyard!!! :D

I'm going to have to see if I can score a Press Pass for the JSOH next year!
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    I guess I better start applying to the AP, The Washington Post, etc... for a job right now!!!!

Attention freelancers: While we appreciate your interest in the 2009 Joint Service Open House, we are unable to support freelance photographers and journalists who have not been retained by recognized media organizations to cover the event. However, you are more than welcome to attend the event as a member of the general public.
    edited September 11, 2009
    I guess I better start applying to the AP, The Washington Post, etc... for a job right now!!!!

Yeah it looks like you better apply rolleyes1.gif What a bummer for all the freelancers.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos :D
    Dogdots wrote:
    Just took a look at your site. Your a plane guy thumb.gif
    Yeah, I grew up around airplanes, my father is a retired TWA mechanic, and I'm an old USAF pilot (KC-135). These days I get my aviation fix via photography.
    Dogdots wrote:
    Have you heard of the Happy Hooligans?
    They're the ND ANG guys, quite well known in AF circles.
    Dogdots wrote:
    Snow Birds?
    I got to see them perform this year for the first time in 20+ years - they joined the Thunderbirds at the Jones Beach Air Show on Long Island over Memorial Day. I got to meet some of their team members - really great folks!

I see from your profile that you're from ND - I spent a night in Minot back in December 1986 - we had two weather diverts trying to get home to Indiana in the tanker, and since the snowstorms had passed through Minot, that's where we ended up. I'm pretty sure the temps were in the single digits when we got there!
    moose135 wrote:
    Yeah, I grew up around airplanes, my father is a retired TWA mechanic, and I'm an old USAF pilot (KC-135). These days I get my aviation fix via photography.

They're the ND ANG guys, quite well known in AF circles.

I got to see them perform this year for the first time in 20+ years - they joined the Thunderbirds at the Jones Beach Air Show on Long Island over Memorial Day. I got to meet some of their team members - really great folks!

I see from your profile that you're from ND - I spent a night in Minot back in December 1986 - we had two weather diverts trying to get home to Indiana in the tanker, and since the snowstorms had passed through Minot, that's where we ended up. I'm pretty sure the temps were in the single digits when we got there!

I see where you get your interest. Planes are amazing...how they can stay up in the air. As you can tell...I'm afraid to fly :cry

Minot does have an Air base, but I never get up to Minot very much. Thats 1/2 way across the state for me -- Single digits up here in the winter time is a heat wave rolleyes1.gif
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    Very nice shots Mary Kim! They bring back some fond memories from when I lived down in Hialeah, Florida back in the 80's. I worked at a service station as a mechanic, not too far from Opalocka (sp?) airport. One year they had an air show and the Blue Angles were there. For 2 or 3 days before the show, they practiced for several hours a day, and one of their turning points to head back to the air field was over the station that I worked at. They flew low enough that when they made their turn, you could see into the cockpit and see the pilot. I wish I still had some of the photos I took back then!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Very nice shots Mary Kim! They bring back some fond memories from when I lived down in Hialeah, Florida back in the 80's. I worked at a service station as a mechanic, not too far from Opalocka (sp?) airport. One year they had an air show and the Blue Angles were there. For 2 or 3 days before the show, they practiced for several hours a day, and one of their turning points to head back to the air field was over the station that I worked at. They flew low enough that when they made their turn, you could see into the cockpit and see the pilot. I wish I still had some of the photos I took back then!

GaryB

I'm happy it brought back some good memories :D

You know that awesome feeling when they are flying low over you. It is a feeling that never leaves you.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    Hi Mary Kim,

These are darn good shots considering the limitations you had. I live in Jacksonville, FL. and the Blue Angels perform here quite frequently. They alternate sites between the Naval Air Base here and the beach. When they are to perform at the air base, their practice flights are RIGHT above my house....like you. I think I could hit them with a slingshot.

An ex- Blue Angel pilot lives a couple houses down from me. When the team is in town, he gets to go to a nice function they always put on and then gets flight-line access before the show. He has asked me to go with him on several occasions and its a real treat for a plane buff like me. Each time I've gone with him, he gets all the pilots to autograph their current year's poster for me. I've got four of them hanging in my office.

Again, you got some nice shots.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    Dogdots wrote:
    As you can tell...I'm afraid to fly :cry
    Flying is perfectly safe...crashing, not so much rolleyes1.gif
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    moose135 wrote:

I've read that flying is safer than riding a bicycle, or driving a car. I've flown in private & commercial planes and I loved it! I think my favorite is flying in private planes, because they fly lower and you get to see a better view of the country side! But then again, you get to see a different perspective of cloud formations in the commercial planes.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    When I was younger wanted to be one of those pilots.
    These days don't know if my heart could handle watching them live.eek7.gif
    I have great respect for them, thanks for the pics.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Neat set Mary Kim. thumb.gif
    The light helped you out tons in your opening picture. Very sweet pic.

They are so very close as seen in image 3. Gads. I can imagine the sound
    of them passing by. The roar of these aircraft still sends chills through me.
    I love that. That alone is half the reason I go to air shows. :D

I'm really liking the high key effect you got going on with the B&W. Very nice
    and another sweet grab ta boot. thumb.gif
    Michael
    Hi Mary Kim,

These are darn good shots considering the limitations you had. I live in Jacksonville, FL. and the Blue Angels perform here quite frequently. They alternate sites between the Naval Air Base here and the beach. When they are to perform at the air base, their practice flights are RIGHT above my house....like you. I think I could hit them with a slingshot.

An ex- Blue Angel pilot lives a couple houses down from me. When the team is in town, he gets to go to a nice function they always put on and then gets flight-line access before the show. He has asked me to go with him on several occasions and its a real treat for a plane buff like me. Each time I've gone with him, he gets all the pilots to autograph their current year's poster for me. I've got four of them hanging in my office.

Again, you got some nice shots.

Take care,

Tom

You could hit them with a slingshot as they fly that close to the house. I tired to get some photos of the house in the shot, but none of those were keepers. The planes fly to fast :D The last photo I posted had the powerlines behind my house going through the center of the planes in the photo. Low flying, but breathtaking.

Ex-pilot down the street from you -- that would be so exciting to hear stories he had to tell. And the photo opportunities you have going with him...that would make my day :D
    moose135 wrote:

It's the latter that I'm afraid of rolleyes1.gif
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I've read that flying is safer than riding a bicycle, or driving a car. I've flown in private & commercial planes and I loved it! I think my favorite is flying in private planes, because they fly lower and you get to see a better view of the country side! But then again, you get to see a different perspective of cloud formations in the commercial planes.

GaryB

When I first flew I loved it, but the second time...not so much unfortunately. It really puts a damper in the decision making on where we go on vacation. Flying lower and shorter distances would help I think.

But...if I ever had the chance to ride with the Blue Angels I'd take it in a heart beat. Thats a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    summerz wrote:
    When I was younger wanted to be one of those pilots.
    These days don't know if my heart could handle watching them live.eek7.gif
    I have great respect for them, thanks for the pics.

Your welcome -- I'm glad you enjoyed looking at them.

We all had such wonderful "want to do's" when we were young :D If only we could have a do-over sometimes.