Saving the best for last: 3 days in Zion

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited September 23, 2009 in Landscapes
My favorite part of my week long trip to the southwest. I knew Zion would be pretty awesome but it still exceeded my expectations. We had perfect conditions the whole trip except for when we hiked in the Virgin Narrows (it was overcast so we didn't get any of the awesome reflected light off the canyon - maybe next time - the hike was still a lot of fun though).

Here are some of my favorite shots of my first, but definitely not my last, visit to Zion.

#1:

653791769_tkuBk-XL.jpg

#2:

653724983_Yr8G3-XL.jpg

#3:

653796429_um3jq-XL.jpg

#4:

653798208_nuaoE-XL.jpg

#5:

653848175_2Jubr-XL.jpg

#6:

653806491_tvLyZ-XL.jpg

#7:

653863224_7dnT5-XL.jpg

#8:

653861279_nUdiD-XL.jpg

#9:

653817003_3tzEV-XL.jpg

#10:

653846850_VmhgK-XL.jpg

Comments

• marcpromarcpro Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    This is true beauty, and you've captured it well.
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    Thanks for sharing.
    My favs are 4 and 7.

Marc.
    -- Photography without post-processing is like cooking without salt or spices.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    Wow. Very nice. I find it hard to pick a favorite, though #s 1, 2, and 7 really grab me.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    Adding this to my list of places I must go!

FANTASTIC pictures.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    Stunningly beautiful. Everyone of them is awesome; but the first one really does get my attention. These are the kinds of photos that one stares at for awhile. Nice!
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    This is a fantastic set of images! My eyes can't stop wandering through the first image. I love the angle, composition and light! clap.gifclap.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    bowdown.gif

I gotta get up the narrows again. clap.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    2, 4, and 7 are my initial favorites from this awesome collection.bowdown.gif
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    Awesome
    These are really great. What were your settings on the first one?
    Larry
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    That first one is so excellent!

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    Ron,

I really admire your ability to capture images in the way that you do. This set of shots is among your best. Very inspiring.

Dave
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    Oh my!! These are breathtaking!! I love that place. Please share, what lens(es) were you using primarily?
    coscorrosa wrote:
    My favorite part of my week long trip to the southwest. I knew Zion would be pretty awesome but it still exceeded my expectations. We had perfect conditions the whole trip except for when we hiked in the Virgin Narrows (it was overcast so we didn't get any of the awesome reflected light off the canyon - maybe next time - the hike was still a lot of fun though).

Here are some of my favorite shots of my first, but definitely not my last, visit to Zion.

#1:

653791769_tkuBk-XL.jpg

#2:

653724983_Yr8G3-XL.jpg

#3:

653796429_um3jq-XL.jpg

#4:

653798208_nuaoE-XL.jpg

#5:

653848175_2Jubr-XL.jpg

#6:

653806491_tvLyZ-XL.jpg

#7:

653863224_7dnT5-XL.jpg

#8:

653861279_nUdiD-XL.jpg

#9:

653817003_3tzEV-XL.jpg

#10:

653846850_VmhgK-XL.jpg
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    Very nice Ron. Really like the 1st three images. Need to make this my destination of my upcoming vacation. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    marcpro wrote:
    This is true beauty, and you've captured it well.
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    Thanks for sharing.
    My favs are 4 and 7.

Marc.

Thanks Marc - those are from the Subway and the Virgin Narrows hikes respectfully, both of them are very photogenic (though the Subway isn't photogenic until about 3/4 of the way there).
    craig_d wrote:
    Wow. Very nice. I find it hard to pick a favorite, though #s 1, 2, and 7 really grab me.

Thanks Craig, #7 would have been even better had we got some of that famous reflected light off the canyon, but it was overcast, gives me something to try for on the next visit deal.gif
    Sexy6Chick wrote:
    Adding this to my list of places I must go!

FANTASTIC pictures.

Definitely, and it's only 10 hours from Phoenix instead of, say, 16 hours from Seattle :D
    Eia wrote:
    Stunningly beautiful. Everyone of them is awesome; but the first one really does get my attention. These are the kinds of photos that one stares at for awhile. Nice!

Thanks Eia - that first one was taken just before the Subway. I was completely surprised, I didn't know there was a waterfall like that there. I said while I was shooting that this was one of the most photogenic waterfalls I had seen, with the terraced cascade in the foreground, and the lit up sandstone canyon and tree in the background. I had been trying to keep my boots dry for the entire hike but when I saw that waterfall all bets were off :D
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    This is some fine work here Ron. I like all of them but especially #4, 6.7 and 9. Call me nuts, but #7 seems to have a Medieval feel to it. Really a cool shot!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    boblu262 wrote:
    This is a fantastic set of images! My eyes can't stop wandering through the first image. I love the angle, composition and light! clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks! If you're ever in Zion I highly recommend the Subway hike, it's not that well maintained and you have to scramble in parts (it's probably quicker if you just hike in the river itself instead of along the shore). Also you need to get a permit, but we were able to get one for the next day with no problem, but it was past peak season.
    Andy wrote:
    bowdown.gif

I gotta get up the narrows again. clap.gif

Thanks Andy - as do I! I might try and swing by Zion during peak fall color as it's so close to Las Vegas and the flights are relatively cheap, we'll see.
    dlplumer wrote:
    2, 4, and 7 are my initial favorites from this awesome collection.bowdown.gif

Thanks Dan, #2 was unexpected. We had just got back from the Subway hike and the outfitter store to get our shoes for the next day's hike in the Narrows, it didn't look like there'd be much of a sunset, but it turned out to be the best one on the entire trip. That shot is from the bridge, a whole 150ft from where I parked the car :D
    ridgemac wrote:
    These are really great. What were your settings on the first one?

27mm (shot with a 16-35 on a 5D MII), f/16, 1.3s at ISO 100. I also had the exposure compensation down 2/3 of a stop using evaluative metering to keep the canyon wall in check.
    wfeller wrote:
    That first one is so excellent!

-

Thanks Walter, I definitely plan on returning to get more compositions of that waterfall and a few others nearby.
    daveman wrote:
    Ron,

I really admire your ability to capture images in the way that you do. This set of shots is among your best. Very inspiring.

Dave

Thanks Dave - Zion is truly a special place, we were lucky with the weather, and the scenery is everywhere. Three days is barely enough to scratch the surface, I hope to return sooner rather than later.
    GoofBckt wrote:
    Oh my!! These are breathtaking!! I love that place. Please share, what lens(es) were you using primarily?

Thanks. All of the photos in this series were shot with a 16-35 f/2.8 L II, or 24-105 f/4 L, using a Canon 5D MII body. Most of them had a polarizer. #2 and #6 were manual blends of two exposures each.
    ront wrote:
    This is some fine work here Ron. I like all of them but especially #4, 6.7 and 9. Call me nuts, but #7 seems to have a Medieval feel to it. Really a cool shot!!

Ron

No worries, I can see the Medieval vibe on that shot :D
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    Very nice series indeedbowdown.gifbowdown.gif , I really like #1, and also as a water guy I like #4 not for the water in the shot but the way you can see the way the water has carved out the rock.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Beautiful series overall Ron. My favorites are #2 and #5.
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    Went their as a kid for fam vacation and spent several days overnighting a canyon. Always wanted to get back. Your pics solidify that desire! Nice work as usual.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    Good looking shots, Ron! You managed to get a lot of good stuff from Zion.
    Do you prefer the composition of #5 over the other one you did? I think this version with more of a closeup look is kind of cool.
    Thanks for the comments everyone!
    dseidman wrote:
    Good looking shots, Ron! You managed to get a lot of good stuff from Zion.
    Do you prefer the composition of #5 over the other one you did? I think this version with more of a closeup look is kind of cool.

I think I do actually, as the composition is simpler and isolates the primary subject a little better.

Here's the other photo Danny's talking about:

653849236_zhfRK-XL.jpg