3945183397_a19ffaa0e9_o.jpg

100% Crop:
3945965982_d088613eb0_o.jpg
Ryan McGill

My Gear

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    That's gorgeous! Looks almost like a fine painting. What kind of processing treatment did you use?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Very ethereal!
    Well-lit.
    thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    I love this image - she looks like a cherub with that halo of cloudy blond hair.
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    Cuong wrote:
    That's gorgeous! Looks almost like a fine painting. What kind of processing treatment did you use?

Cuong
    Coung,

Thanks for the kind words! I used the smudge technique.

SOOC:
    3942177854_c561cbc43c_o.jpg
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Very ethereal!
    Well-lit.
    thumb.gif
    Thanks Andrew!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    marikris wrote:
    I love this image - she looks like a cherub with that halo of cloudy blond hair.
    Thanks Markris, so you think the mother is going to love it? :D
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    Thanks Markris, so you think the mother is going to love it? :D

Yes would be an understatement! She will be ecstatic clap.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    Coung,

Thanks for the kind words! I used the smudge technique.

SOOC:

I know I'm in a minority here, but I think the original is incomparably better than the first. The second is a portrait of a gorgeous little girl. The first reminds me of Jon Benet Ramsey. Why oh why does anyone think it's necessary to "improve" upon the natural looks of a child, particularly a beautiful child? headscratch.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    bdcolen wrote:
    I know I'm in a minority here, but I think the original is incomparably better than the first. The second is a portrait of a gorgeous little girl. The first reminds me of Jon Benet Ramsey. Why oh why does anyone think it's necessary to "improve" upon the natural looks of a child, particularly a beautiful child? headscratch.gif
    This is really not to improve the natural looks of the child, but rather an artistic impression of the child. The mother wants something painterly and printed on canvas. I understand your point of view and agree 100%.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    bdcolen wrote:
    Why oh why does anyone think it's necessary to "improve" upon the natural looks of a child, particularly a beautiful child? headscratch.gif

Beauty, style and art are subjective? It depends on what you're trying to achieve? ne_nau.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    Kudos for a great shot and for giving the client what she wants. mwink.gif Well done. clap.gif
    marikris wrote:
    Beauty, style and art are subjective? It depends on what you're trying to achieve? ne_nau.gif
    It is, but I understand what he is saying.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    Richard wrote:
    Kudos for a great shot and for giving the client what she wants. mwink.gif Well done. clap.gif
    Thanks Richard!!!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    It is, but I understand what he is saying.

You were trying to please your client, and I think you achieved that (or at least once she sees it lol) :D
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    bdcolen wrote:

I'm with BD on this one! The processing is just overdone. I know the point was to "fix" the hair, but it looks unnatural, almost like running (polluted at that) water.

I don't doubt that the mother will love it, it's just not my taste.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
    marikris wrote:
    You were trying to please your client, and I think you achieved that (or at least once she sees it lol) :D
    Yeah, true...
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    pwp wrote:
    I'm with BD on this one! The processing is just overdone. I know the point was to "fix" the hair, but it looks unnatural, almost like running (polluted at that) water.

I don't doubt that the mother will love it, it's just not my taste.
    Awe it is not that bad... is it? Different strokes for different folks.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    I like what you did here. Looks like a painting, and I'm sure it will look beautiful on a canvas. thumb.gif
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I like what you did here. Looks like a painting, and I'm sure it will look beautiful on a canvas. thumb.gif
    Thank you Angie!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    Awe it is not that bad... is it? Different strokes for different folks.

No, not bad! Sorry if I was harsh...it's just that I am more of a realist when it comes to photos of children in particular. Like I said, it's just not my taste, but I am sure the mom would love it on a canvas!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    LOVE it..
    I absolutely love what you did with the picture...yes she is absolutely gorgeous just how she is .. but your treatment did a fine job of simulating a painting which is pretty awesome.. I still pick up my oils and paint once in a blue moon and I could only dream of composing something as lovely...well .done..
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    It is a beautiful job.

Now an observation from one less skilled at this: the reflection difference of the lightsource (catchlight?) in the pupils between the right and left eyes jumps out at me. The left is fainter and looks like a ring within ring, which does not show as much in the right eye.
    pwp wrote:
    No, not bad! Sorry if I was harsh...it's just that I am more of a realist when it comes to photos of children in particular. Like I said, it's just not my taste, but I am sure the mom would love it on a canvas!
    It is all good PW. No hurtfeelings here.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    I absolutely love what you did with the picture...yes she is absolutely gorgeous just how she is .. but your treatment did a fine job of simulating a painting which is pretty awesome.. I still pick up my oils and paint once in a blue moon and I could only dream of composing something as lovely...well .done..
    Thank you! I wish I had talent to do real oils!!! This is the only way I can do "art".
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    rainbow wrote:
    It is a beautiful job.

Now an observation from one less skilled at this: the reflection difference of the lightsource (catchlight?) in the pupils between the right and left eyes jumps out at me. The left is fainter and looks like a ring within ring, which does not show as much in the right eye.
    Thanks! I can fix the catchlight. Never noticed til you pointed it out. Thanks!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    bdcolen wrote:
    See, to me, I see two seperate shots. I see a super cute shot that shows personality on the second. On the first, I see an artistic representation of the soul within the child. The original has a much more child like quality, is a great portrait of a cute kid. The edit has a more spiritual quality that speaks about the innocense of a child.

eta: one super tiny nit, the hair in the iris of her eye really bugs.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    This is a nicely done smudge painting. I do these frequently. They look wonderful when printed on canvas or textured paper.

People either love them or hate them.ne_nau.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    Thanks! I can fix the catchlight. Never noticed til you pointed it out. Thanks!

Point of clarification - rolleyes1.gif

I assumed the 'painterly' portrait was what Mom wanted, and believe me I understand the need to give the client what the client wants. rolleyes1.gif So my comments have to do with Mom, not you -
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    I like both versions, although my preference is the au-natural version. Is it possible to do the processing somewhere between the two? I might also show the client both versions if possible, you might double your sale. (Stranger things have happened to me along these lines. mwink.gif)

Regards,
    -joel
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    My own taste is for the more natural image, but the processed one is a fine rendition within that very specific "oil painting" style that some people like - I'm sure it does look great on canvas ... within that style.

I'm with BD - you took a great picture and processed it according to client request, and made a good job of it, even it it's not the look I want in my own pictures of for my own daughter thumb.gif (I'm with BD - the comments are more to do with mom's artistic taste than your competence at delivering it!!)