Options

Canon 1D Mark IV!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited October 23, 2009
    insanefred wrote:

Also, "the af points don't cover as much on FF" thing is complete crap too.

Not so sure about that. Between my Canon XT/350D, 40D, 1D MKII and 5D MKII cameras, the crop 1.6x cameras do seem to occupy more of the viewfinder with AF points, however:

The AF module is different between these different cameras and I would not expect the same AF coverage regardless.

The smaller crop format cameras also have less viewfinder coverage, meaning that if they showed the same image coverage of the 5D MKII (98 percent, for instance), that alone would reduce the apparent size of the AF cluster in the viewfinder.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    The only thing an APS-C/Four-Thirds/etc. sensor does differently from full-frame is read a smaller area of the image circle. It doesn't change perspective, focal length, or DOF by itself. These things change, if at all, as a result of the photographer making other changes in an attempt to maintain certain invariants relative to full frame, such as field of view (which requires a change of focal length or position) or print size (which requires a change of magnification). These other changes are what cause the perceived effects. It's not that the effects aren't real, it's that they aren't caused by the sensor.

This is pretty unhelpful TBH. It's better to see the sensor and lens as part of a whole system rather than the lens does this and the sensor does that. Take a look at video cameras for an example, a 1/3" chip video camera has a tiny sensor compared to a DSLR and may have a zoom range of something like 4mm-56mm, this behaves very differently from the way a 4mm-56mm lens would behave on a DSLR, you have to look at the whole system to understand it.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    studio1972 wrote:
    This is pretty unhelpful TBH. It's better to see the sensor and lens as part of a whole system rather than the lens does this and the sensor does that. Take a look at video cameras for an example, a 1/3" chip video camera has a tiny sensor compared to a DSLR and may have a zoom range of something like 4mm-56mm, this behaves very differently from the way a 4mm-56mm lens would behave on a DSLR, you have to look at the whole system to understand it.

You need to understand both parts separately to understand how they combine. For one thing, the same lens can work with more than one type of sensor, so if you want to understand the similarities and differences between, say, a Canon EF 24-70 L USM on full-frame and on APS-C, you have to understand how the various components contribute to the final result.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    I just noticed that "The Digital Picture" review of the Canon 1D MKIV is up.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-IV-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Nice things like:

"Differences in noise between the 1D III, 1D IV and 5D II samples up through ISO 6400 are minor and insignificant to my eyes - all 3 DSLRs produce impressive results. Thus, higher resolution wins at final output. The Canon EOS 1D Mark IV maintains its good results while providing far more resolution than the 1D III without an increase in sensor size."

"Do you find AE (Auto Exposure) to be consistently under or over exposing your images? The new AE Microadjustment feature is for you. Dial in up to ±1 stop of adjustment in 1/8-stop increments."

"Like the 1D III, the 1D IV has a fast 1/300 max standard Flash Sync shutter speed for Canon Speedlite Flashes (plus High Speed Synch) and FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation) of up to ±3 stops is available in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments. The 1D IV provides a flash menu for complete control of external 580EX II, 430EX II and 270EX Speedlites."

"Do you find FE (Flash Exposure) to be consistently under or over exposing your images? The new FE Microadjustment feature is for you. Dial in up to ±1 stop of adjustment in 1/8-stop increments."

"The 1D Mark IV uses the same 45 AF point layout as Mark III, but the 1D IV's new low-noise AF sensor has 45 user-selectable AF points. This is the same number of AF points available on the 1D II/N but significantly more than the 1D III's 19. I was not thrilled to lose my AF points when the 1D III arrived - I'm glad to have them back. Of course, if you prefer the 1D III way, Custom Function C.Fn III-10 will let you configure the camera for 19 AF points - or 11, or 9 inner or 9 outer."

"The 1D Mark II/N had 7, the 1D Mark III had 19, but the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV features 39 cross-type AF sensors that are functional during manual AF point selection (19 are cross-type functional with automatic AF point selection) with all f/2.8 and faster EF lenses as well as the following f/4 EF lenses:

17-40mm f/4 L USM
    24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
    70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM + Extender EF 1.4x II
    200mm f/2 L IS USM + Extender EF 2x II
    300mm f/2.8 L IS USM + Extender EF 1.4x II
    400mm f/2.8 L IS USM + Extender EF 1.4x II
    "

... and finally:

"I have never had so many sharp-in-focus images from a session with a running dog before. Many of these shots were taken at or near the provided Canon speed/distance rating. This rating is indeed just one possible rating. For example, the 1D IV can track a fighter jet at longer distances and something far slower at very close distances.

As I said, the burst that this example shot was taken from was using all AF points active. My results were similar when using the center AF point-only. Particularly impressive is that I was not able to keep the AF point perfectly pinned on my bouncing target nose at all times, but the camera maintained focus regardless. Canon claims that "stability" was one of their AI Servo AF goals - to keep the subject in focus even if the AF point was temporarily obstructed or moved off of the target. I'd say they achieved this goal.

My soccer action photography results were similar. Under dim indoor arena soccer lighting and under cloudy skies outdoors, the 1D IV delivered a very high percentage of sharp images.

I love shots of kids running (they always look excited when running with someone intently watching). At reasonably close distances, even young kids are challenging for an AF system to keep up with. The 1D IV performs remarkably well at this task.
    "

It does appear as if the 1D MKIV improves on the many good things about the previous 1D series cameras, and (hopefully) it appears to address the AF issues of the 1D MKIII.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I just noticed that "The Digital Picture" review of the Canon 1D MKIV is up.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-IV-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Nice things like:

"Differences in noise between the 1D III, 1D IV and 5D II samples up through ISO 6400 are minor and insignificant to my eyes - all 3 DSLRs produce impressive results. Thus, higher resolution wins at final output. The Canon EOS 1D Mark IV maintains its good results while providing far more resolution than the 1D III without an increase in sensor size."

"Do you find AE (Auto Exposure) to be consistently under or over exposing your images? The new AE Microadjustment feature is for you. Dial in up to ±1 stop of adjustment in 1/8-stop increments."

"Like the 1D III, the 1D IV has a fast 1/300 max standard Flash Sync shutter speed for Canon Speedlite Flashes (plus High Speed Synch) and FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation) of up to ±3 stops is available in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments. The 1D IV provides a flash menu for complete control of external 580EX II, 430EX II and 270EX Speedlites."

"Do you find FE (Flash Exposure) to be consistently under or over exposing your images? The new FE Microadjustment feature is for you. Dial in up to ±1 stop of adjustment in 1/8-stop increments."

"The 1D Mark IV uses the same 45 AF point layout as Mark III, but the 1D IV's new low-noise AF sensor has 45 user-selectable AF points. This is the same number of AF points available on the 1D II/N but significantly more than the 1D III's 19. I was not thrilled to lose my AF points when the 1D III arrived - I'm glad to have them back. Of course, if you prefer the 1D III way, Custom Function C.Fn III-10 will let you configure the camera for 19 AF points - or 11, or 9 inner or 9 outer."

"The 1D Mark II/N had 7, the 1D Mark III had 19, but the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV features 39 cross-type AF sensors that are functional during manual AF point selection (19 are cross-type functional with automatic AF point selection) with all f/2.8 and faster EF lenses as well as the following f/4 EF lenses:

17-40mm f/4 L USM
    24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
    70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM + Extender EF 1.4x II
    200mm f/2 L IS USM + Extender EF 2x II
    300mm f/2.8 L IS USM + Extender EF 1.4x II
    400mm f/2.8 L IS USM + Extender EF 1.4x II"

... and finally:

"I have never had so many sharp-in-focus images from a session with a running dog before. Many of these shots were taken at or near the provided Canon speed/distance rating. This rating is indeed just one possible rating. For example, the 1D IV can track a fighter jet at longer distances and something far slower at very close distances.

As I said, the burst that this example shot was taken from was using all AF points active. My results were similar when using the center AF point-only. Particularly impressive is that I was not able to keep the AF point perfectly pinned on my bouncing target nose at all times, but the camera maintained focus regardless. Canon claims that "stability" was one of their AI Servo AF goals - to keep the subject in focus even if the AF point was temporarily obstructed or moved off of the target. I'd say they achieved this goal.

My soccer action photography results were similar. Under dim indoor arena soccer lighting and under cloudy skies outdoors, the 1D IV delivered a very high percentage of sharp images.

I love shots of kids running (they always look excited when running with someone intently watching). At reasonably close distances, even young kids are challenging for an AF system to keep up with. The 1D IV performs remarkably well at this task."

It does appear as if the 1D MKIV improves on the many good things about the previous 1D series cameras, and (hopefully) it appears to address the AF issues of the 1D MKIII.
    l

Hi, Ziggy,

I posted a thread last month on what I should upgrade the 3 years old 5D. I took your advise and checked out with local shops. Still not very convince.
    Now I see the 1D Mk4 which has everything on 5D MkII plus the faster shutter and much higher ISO. Except that the sensor is a bit smaller and resolution is 16 MP only. Can you tell me whether I should change to 1D Mk 4? I still keep the old 5D as second body.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    l

Hi, Ziggy,

I posted a thread last month on what I should upgrade the 3 years old 5D. I took your advise and checked out with local shops. Still not very convince.
    Now I see the 1D Mk4 which has everything on 5D MkII plus the faster shutter and much higher ISO. Except that the sensor is a bit smaller and resolution is 16 MP only. Can you tell me whether I should change to 1D Mk 4? I still keep the old 5D as second body.

It's all subjective I suppose, but unless your eyes are much different than mine, the review linked above shows surprisingly that up to ISO 6400, the 1DMkIII, 5DMkII and 1DIV perform very very close to each other. I wouldn't really use anything above ISO 6400 on any of them, except for emergencies. So, the 1D4 does not have "everything on the 5D MkII". It cost twice what the 5D2 does, is heavier, and has less resolution.

It does look like a nice body though.

I can hardly wait for the 5D2 updated body. If they give it a GOOD AF, I'm there thumb.gif

Disclosure: 5DMkII is in my stable of bodies
    Randy
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    l

Hi, Ziggy,

The 5D MKII is a wonderful camera for wedding formals and studio shoots, landscapes and natural beauty.

The 1D MKIV should be the best Canon camera ever for wedding ceremony, action, sports, news events and wildlife.

The difference in responsiveness between the 2 cameras is astonishing and the low-light AF of the 1D NKIV should be greatly better.

The 1D MKIV will also be nearly twice the cost of the 5D MKII.

The APS-H format still retains a "fairly" wide feel for wide angle lenses and slightly extends longer lenses. Here is the Canon representation of the different camera aspects:

Sensor%20Sizes.jpg

(Image is used from this page:)
    http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2887&fromTips=1&displayMode=print

The 14mm lens in this case would seem like an 18mm lens, still pretty wide.

The difference between 16 MPix and 21 MPix is negligible for almost any application and both are enough for prints to 30" x 40" in most situations. The better AF of the 1D MKIV should make it the preferable system for any low-light or difficult subject.

The "usable" ISO range of the 5D MKII and the 1D MKIV should be very similar. For my uses that means an ISO 1600 usable for anything, and an ISO 6400 usable for up to an 8" x 10" print. I don't think that ISOs beyond are usable for most commercial applications. (A pleasing 8" x 10" at ISO 6400 is a minor miracle in and of itself.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    rwells wrote:
    ... I can hardly wait for the 5D2 updated body. If they give it a GOOD AF, I'm there thumb.gif

Disclosure: 5DMkII is in my stable of bodies

You and me both. I am working on a focus assist device for the 5D MKII that should extend the AF capabilities of the 5D MKII considerably (based on a very old and disabled flash.)

BTW, for everyone reading, Randy and I have a very similar take on the 2 cameras and I didn't see his response before giving my own. Similar thoughts ...
    ziggy53
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You and me both. I am working on a focus assist device for the 5D MKII that should extend the AF capabilities of the 5D MKII considerably (based on a very old and disabled flash.)

BTW, for everyone reading, Randy and I have a very similar take on the 2 cameras and I didn't see his response before giving my own. Similar thoughts ...

Hey Ziggy,

Keep us up to date on the device. I have used the ST-E2 in very low light with excellent results. I'm talking about its use just for the focus assist, not just for flash use. The only problem is that you can't use it (or on-flash assist beam) while in AI Servo mode.

One other point on the 1D4 ~ 5D2. There is a significant cushion between 16 ~ 21 Mpix when your talking crop-ability. I don't know exactly how much you can crop a 5D2 image before you come down to the 1D4 native 16Mpix resolution, but I find the great crop-ability of the 5D2 to be very useful.

All that said, if I could afford the 1DIV right now, I'd buy one.

I'm also now considering buying a used 1DIII, especially since I read/reviewed the above link and ISO test that demonstrate the three tested camera bodies (5D2, 1D3, 1D4) are almost identical up to ISO 6400. They can now be found for $2,000 ~ 2,400. A fellow on POTN has a killer noise reduction setup that actually allows ISO 12,800 images to be of good quality. The big downfall to me is the 1D3 crappy playback screen. ne_nau.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    rwells wrote:
    One other point on the 1D4 ~ 5D2. There is a significant cushion between 16 ~ 21 Mpix when your talking crop-ability. I don't know exactly how much you can crop a 5D2 image before you come down to the 1D4 native 16Mpix resolution, but I find the great crop-ability of the 5D2 to be very useful.

I agree about the croppability of 21 MP images. It's very nice. For many purposes I am willing, if it seems necessary, to drop as low as 8 MP, which basically means I can pretend I was shooting with a lens of up 1.6x the focal length I was actually using.

A 5D2 image is approximately 5630x3750 pixels, a bit over 21 MP. 16 MP would be roughly 4900x3270 pixels. So the 5D2 has about 730 more pixels horizontally and about 480 more vertically -- not all that much. The 1.3x crop factor of the sensor size would be more bothersome to me than the pixel count, since I like my wide-angles, and my new circular fisheye would be have its circle cropped at the top and bottom.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    rwells wrote:
    ... I'm also now considering buying a used 1DIII, especially since I read/reviewed the above link and ISO test that demonstrate the three tested camera bodies (5D2, 1D3, 1D4) are almost identical up to ISO 6400. They can now be found for $2,000 ~ 2,400. A fellow on POTN has a killer noise reduction setup that actually allows ISO 12,800 images to be of good quality. The big downfall to me is the 1D3 crappy playback screen. ne_nau.gif

I bought the "FlexNR" action set to test and it also works, to a lesser degree, on the 1D MKII. To be really valuable a custom set of noise profiles would have to be developed specific to the 1D MKII. It does appear to work well on the image processors through the Digic III. Starting with Digic IV it is less valuable as that image processor accomplishes something similar in-camera, even with RAW files.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    I agree about the croppability of 21 MP images. It's very nice. For many purposes I am willing, if it seems necessary, to drop as low as 8 MP, which basically means I can pretend I was shooting with a lens of up 1.6x the focal length I was actually using.

A 5D2 image is approximately 5630x3750 pixels, a bit over 21 MP. 16 MP would be roughly 4900x3270 pixels. So the 5D2 has about 730 more pixels horizontally and about 480 more vertically -- not all that much. The 1.3x crop factor of the sensor size would be more bothersome to me than the pixel count, since I like my wide-angles, and my new circular fisheye would be have its circle cropped at the top and bottom.

For some time now (since PS CS2) if I know that I want to crop an image I use the interpolation upres capabilities of ACR to create images with more pixels, and then I process those images at that size and crop to suite the scene. It works particularly well for images from the 1D MKII and 40D as long as noise levels are reasonable and as long as there is good sharpness to begin with.

Currently ACR is limited to 25 MPix so the images from the 5D MKII really don't gain anything from interpolation in ACR.

Before someone asks, yes, I believe it is visibly better to interpolate from RAW rather than wait to interpolate afterward from the demosaiced RGB image. This is also the method recommended by Corbis.

(Look in the following file under "Interpolation Guidelines for Digital Images":)

http://studioplus.corbis.com/DownloadableDocuments/Interpolation_Guidelines_v5.pdf
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy,

It is very difficult decision to make for either 1D4 or 5D2. Cost is the major factor to consider. Performance seems very close.
    the fact that I like the full frame but the 16 MP is good enough. 21 MP may be a bit overkill. 1.3X cropping is not really much, it may extend some of my super-tele lens. I am still keeping the FF for landscape anyway, so no loss in wide angles.
    Frame rate is something really extra. But anyway I enjoy portrait, wedding and landscape. 3.9 frames per sec seems more that sufficient.
    Focusing points in 1D4 is much more than 5D2. it may give me some advantage on tracking the flying birds (rarely do it)
    The 5D and 5D2 donot share the battery and grip. I may be better to jump to 1D4.
    1D4 is bigger but heavier. It will increase the weight on my back.

Still struggling which way to go.ne_nau.gif
    Photoskipper
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The 5D MKII is a wonderful camera for wedding formals and studio shoots, landscapes and natural beauty.

The 1D MKIV should be the best Canon camera ever for wedding ceremony, action, sports, news events and wildlife.

The difference in responsiveness between the 2 cameras is astonishing and the low-light AF of the 1D NKIV should be greatly better.

The 1D MKIV will also be nearly twice the cost of the 5D MKII.

The APS-H format still retains a "fairly" wide feel for wide angle lenses and slightly extends longer lenses. Here is the Canon representation of the different camera aspects:

Sensor%20Sizes.jpg

(Image is used from this page:)
    http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2887&fromTips=1&displayMode=print

The 14mm lens in this case would seem like an 18mm lens, still pretty wide.

The difference between 16 MPix and 21 MPix is negligible for almost any application and both are enough for prints to 30" x 40" in most situations. The better AF of the 1D MKIV should make it the preferable system for any low-light or difficult subject.

The "usable" ISO range of the 5D MKII and the 1D MKIV should be very similar. For my uses that means an ISO 1600 usable for anything, and an ISO 6400 usable for up to an 8" x 10" print. I don't think that ISOs beyond are usable for most commercial applications. (A pleasing 8" x 10" at ISO 6400 is a minor miracle in and of itself.)

I finally paid the balance and take home the 5D2 this afternoon. Still in the box, just started charging the battery and studying the manual before start the settings.

The 1D4 has no stock and the queue is 3 months long. I need something for my own Valentine's day presentclap.gif
    Photoskipper
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    Congratulations Photoskipper. I certainly do love mine. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I hope we'll start seeing some reviews from the Olympic shooters soon.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I hope we'll start seeing some reviews from the Olympic shooters soon.

They article is written by Brad Mangin, but the opinion is from Al Bello. He's the Getty Images Chief Photographer for North America.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2010
    While it's not objective at all, here is the Canon blog relating to the 1D MKIV and the 2010 Winter Olympics:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/vancouver2010.do
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2010
    An amusing video showing what Canon Marketing did to promote the Canon cameras in Vancouver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWShDa_KfSI
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2010
    News images using the Canon 1D MKIV in Vancouver:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100217/BLOG28/100219865
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2010
    ziggy53
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Wow, that's cool. I wish I had a lens collection like thatthumb.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    :cry

Why did you have to show that one, Ziggy.

Lens envy has now grown exponentially. :cry
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Any release date news?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2010
    Nimai wrote:
    Any release date news?

The Canon 1D MKIV is available now, but with severe shortages everywhere.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Canon 1D MKIV is available now, but with severe shortages everywhere.
    In December, I added my self to the B&H notify-me-when-available list, but still have heard nothing. I assumed that Canon hadn't released it yet!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2010
    Nimai wrote:
    In December, I added my self to the B&H notify-me-when-available list, but still have heard nothing. I assumed that Canon hadn't released it yet!

That's possible if there are a lot of people signed up before you.

Adorama allows you to be added to a list and they will ship when they have the item and hit your name. With Adorama you don't have to do anything additional.
    ziggy53