Sunset Express

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited October 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Shot this image this evening coming back from the gas station.

Hot off the press!

(Side note: This image was number 9999 from my ignored 5D Classic. First time it's been shot since I purchased my 5D2)
Randy

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Dude, you have a charmed eye. Beautiful capture!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Dude, you have a charmed eye. Beautiful capture!!

Which one? I'll be shure to use that one more often :D

Thanks Andrew
    Randy
    edited October 22, 2009
    How did you shoot this? Do you just have a really good feel for the overexposure on Manual, did the camera make a wonderul guess, or is this a combo of skill with camera and some PS backend? What were the camera settings? Either way, I'm impressed with the final result.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Wow - details pleeeze...
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    That is too good!
    edited October 22, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    How did you shoot this? Do you just have a really good feel for the overexposure on Manual, did the camera make a wonderul guess, or is this a combo of skill with camera and some PS backend? What were the camera settings? Either way, I'm impressed with the final result.

Hey Andrew,

First, I look at where I'm at and what I'm seeing. Then I get in my mind what kind of image I'd like to come out with. That sounds like common sense, but believe me, it took me years and years to get that in my head!

When you do those things first, it makes my (your) job so much easier. You KNOW what your trying to accomplish! Now it's just a matter of getting it done.

In this situation, I was watching the sunset highlight the tracks & was taking shots of that, not really thinking that a train would come by at the time I happened to be there shooting the sunset on the tracks. So, I already had a good grasp on my exposure for the sunset/tracks. I saw the train coming down the tracks, so I decided to pull the exposure down further, trying to get a silhouette type shot. I also changed up my exposure settings so that I would get a star-burst from the sun and hopefully the train lights also. (f/18)

Then, it was just a matter of timing the shot for the best composition with the train and the sun-star.

I controlled exposure manually. There is no way the camera would know what I wanted to accomplish in this situation.

Canon 5D Classic - Manual Exposure Mode
    24-105 4L @ 88mm
    ISO 800
    1/500
    f/18 (for the sun-star)

Noise Ninja applied in CS2 and a crop for better composition.

Hope that helps you out some...
    Randy
    edited October 22, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Wow - details pleeeze...

Thanks Eia,

Details above in post #7
    Randy
    edited October 22, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    That is too good!

Thanks rainbow,

See, I didn't need that 135 f/2 after all :D
    Randy
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    This shot is totally wild Randy, high impact for sure. It kinda has a spooky Halloween feel to boot, great capture.
    wendell
    edited October 22, 2009
    wendell wrote:
    This shot is totally wild Randy, high impact for sure. It kinda has a spooky Halloween feel to boot, great capture.
    wendell

Thanks Wendell,

I think I'd be in real trouble if someone requested a "normal" shot from me rolleyes1.gif

That's probably why I don't really enjoy shooting "people". They all seem to want "normal" type shots ne_nau.gif
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Beautiful photo Randy :D
    edited October 22, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Beautiful photo Randy :D

Thank you kindly Mary
    Randy
    edited October 23, 2009
    Thanks, Randy, for the information on the process. It was awfully nice of the commuter rail to provide a train while you were there as well....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Ha now I get it (having seen the second set). When I first looked at this I couldn't figure out what the three lights were headscratch.gif

Really nice caprure Randy thumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    I'm so envious I could cry. This is an example of manual exposure at its best.

I can't get a grip on low light conditions at all.
    This is my attempt--I swear there is a child in this picture. It ws 6:00 p.m. and the light was going down--it's not like I took my girl to the park at midnight as this shot would have you think.
    688537379_Ymoke-M.jpg

Your shot is amazing!bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif --just goes to show how much there is yet to learn.

someday... lol...maybe right around the time I start appreciating rustrolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Terrific shot, Randy! Well done.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks rainbow,

See, I didn't need that 135 f/2 after all :D

I suspect that you do not need any particular piece of equipment to take outstanding photos. This photo is proof of your vision and talent and skills being more important than any brand or particular camera.

On the other hand, I would love to see the photos you would take with the 135L at your disposal.

So don't completely ignore that voice you hear that says "buy me...".:crazy nod.gif
    edited October 25, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Thanks, Randy, for the information on the process. It was awfully nice of the commuter rail to provide a train while you were there as well....

Yep, I agree... especially on the tracks that I wasn't on :D
    Randy
    edited October 25, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Ha now I get it (having seen the second set). When I first looked at this I couldn't figure out what the three lights were headscratch.gif

Really nice caprure Randy thumb.gif

Hey Jack,

I can barely see a ghost image of the train in that pic, but if you can't, then it wouldn't make any sense. Sorry bout that eek7.gif
    Randy
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Great shot fantastic mood bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb.....manual shooting is such a wonderful thing
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited October 25, 2009
    I'm so envious I could cry. This is an example of manual exposure at its best.

I can't get a grip on low light conditions at all.
    This is my attempt--I swear there is a child in this picture. It ws 6:00 p.m. and the light was going down--it's not like I took my girl to the park at midnight as this shot would have you think.
    688537379_Ymoke-M.jpg

Your shot is amazing!bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif --just goes to show how much there is yet to learn.

someday... lol...maybe right around the time I start appreciating rustrolleyes1.gif .

Liz,

Your too hard on yourself girl!!!

A couple of things to try:

If your camera has it, spot meter off your subjects face, then set your exposure from that. Let everything else do what it's going to do. This will be a good basis to start from.

Even if your using AV or TV mode, and your exposure is like your pic above, simply make exposure (EV) corrections till the image comes out as you like. Then, make a mental note of what your meter is reading after your corrections and compare that to what the camera originally chose. This type info is what goes into your "knowledge base" that you will subconsciously draw from in the future. Yes, it may take too long at first, but with practice it gets second nature.

And...I'm still waiting on that "radio flyer" picture :D
    Randy
    edited October 25, 2009
    moose135 wrote:
    Terrific shot, Randy! Well done.

Thanks Moose
    Randy
    edited October 25, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    I suspect that you do not need any particular piece of equipment to take outstanding photos. This photo is proof of your vision and talent and skills being more important than any brand or particular camera.

On the other hand, I would love to see the photos you would take with the 135L at your disposal.

So don't completely ignore that voice you hear that says "buy me...".:crazy nod.gif

While I do agree to a point that the equipment is not the most important piece of the equation, I don't discount that good equipment will many times allow you to do things lesser equipment may not.

That being said; those are very kind words and I appreciate them very much! Thank you...
    Randy
    edited October 25, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Great shot fantastic mood bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb.....manual shooting is such a wonderful thing

Your too kind Art. Thank you!
    Randy
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Howdy Randy,

Really nicely done, I hadn't figured this one out completely until the info about the Train, and then I saw the other set of tracks and the Headlight pattern.

Great use of light.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Liz,

Your too hard on yourself girl!!!

A couple of things to try:

If your camera has it, spot meter off your subjects face, then set your exposure from that. Let everything else do what it's going to do. This will be a good basis to start from.

Even if your using AV or TV mode, and your exposure is like your pic above, simply make exposure (EV) corrections till the image comes out as you like. Then, make a mental note of what your meter is reading after your corrections and compare that to what the camera originally chose. This type info is what goes into your "knowledge base" that you will subconsciously draw from in the future. Yes, it may take too long at first, but with practice it gets second nature.

And...I'm still waiting on that "radio flyer" picture :D

Thank you much kind sir for your helpful tips--I will store that info and hope my head doesn't explode.

As for the radio flyer:D .
    I will likely sit out the next challenge or two to devote more time to things I've been putting off, this would be first on my list. The challenges are a whole lotta fun, but time consuming. Well in about 40 years I shall retire and will hopefully have more time on my hands.rolleyes1.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited October 25, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Randy,

Really nicely done, I hadn't figured this one out completely until the info about the Train, and then I saw the other set of tracks and the Headlight pattern.

Great use of light.

Hey Craig,

Yeah, as I told Jack, if your monitor doesn't show the trains ghost image, then the pic wouldn't make any sense at all. I could have upped the exposure in post, but it would have lost that faint ghost(ness).

I'm calibrated, but maybe its different than yours ne_nau.gif
    Randy
  • Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    Absolutely AMAZING shot...Never knew commuter trains could look so cool!!! Can only hope to get these kind of shots outta my 5D, 24 - 105mm L someday. bowdown.gif

Thanks for sharing this Randy!
    Caroline Brogen

Member: PPA, PPAM
    Gallery: http://photos.brogen.com/Public-Gallery/Carolines-Gallery
    edited October 25, 2009
    Dancer72 wrote:
    Absolutely AMAZING shot...Never knew commuter trains could look so cool!!! Can only hope to get these kind of shots outta my 5D, 24 - 105mm L someday. bowdown.gif

Thanks for sharing this Randy!

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm confident you and your rig will have many memorable images together thumb.gif

The 5D & 24-105 are a spectacular combination. While I've completely (until this shot) ignored my 5D Classic after I purchased my 5D2, I'm not completely convinced that the 5D2 produces as nice tonal transition (tonal smoothness) as the original 5D.

BTW; You wouldn't happen to "know" Randy Brogen would you?
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words, but I'm confident you and your rig will have many memorable images together thumb.gif

The 5D & 24-105 are a spectacular combination. While I've completely (until this shot) ignored my 5D Classic after I purchased my 5D2, I'm not completely convinced that the 5D2 produces as nice tonal transition (tonal smoothness) as the original 5D.

BTW; You wouldn't happen to "know" Randy Brogen would you?

My 24-105 is sitting next to me and saw this -- now it wants to be attached to a 5D instead of my 40D :cry