Options

Think Pink - Winning, Losing, Everything in between....

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited May 26, 2010 in People
Last night our local high school celebrated homecoming. The football team lost a game last year in the state semi-finals that kept them a single win away from competing for that title in the Superdome. This year, they are 7 and 1 and undefeated in district play. They have shell-shocked nearly every team we have played, including our 5A rival who came to our stadium a few weeks ago ranked 8th in the state. Our boys handed them a 60 to 21 loss to think about 'til next year.

But that isn't the story here.... Vicki is.

A few months back, a close and true friend of my wife passed away. She had fought a 12 year battle with what began as breast cancer. Over and over she stunned her doctors...and all of us....by cheerily living on past every treatment.....every relapse....every doomsday prediction....until finally in July this year she could fight no more. Her love, strength, and faith touched everyone she met....and really....our whole community. She left behind a husband, two sons, other family and a host of close friends.

Last night...at homecoming she was honored.

I had gotten a call from my wife at work asking if I could shoot photos of Vicki's two boys as they were to be captains for the coin toss. I usually avoid anything to do with sports, but agreed. Who wouldn't. After all, the school had been doing a fundraiser all week to raise awareness of breast cancer and to also raise money to help defray the cost of Vicki's medical expenses. Everyone had been asked to wear pink, and her entire family was to be recognized during pre-game. I was all in....and in for a string of surprises.

1- The players were to wear pink accents and gear pieces for the game. Here we are during pre-game warm-ups.
690923793_RzVDL-M.jpg

2-Vicki's husband watches on....as the boys prepare for the game...
690917333_JQE7n-L.jpg

3-Their oldest son plays varsity and would be the single player to wear pink gloves...and note here the surprise of the field being marked in pink.
690935985_aUyCY-L.jpg

4-....her mother during pre-game....
690918054_PefZU-L.jpg

5-Family gathers at pregame...
690922368_SqJu4-M.jpg

6-Sister...and Mother on field during pregame.
690958100_pM3Zj-M.jpg

7-Our football coach talked about breast cancer...and Vicki.
690969496_zRTUf-M.jpg

8- Another huge surprise......Our school colors are Black, grey and Maroon......but they wore pink and black tonight....
690976128_zNCV5-L.jpg

9-...and they each wore her name....their coach saying "She is everybody's mother tonight".
690932169_e9Njd-M.jpg

10-...but especially....these two....her sons.....both wearing the same number as the younger was an honorary captain since he is not on the varsity squad.
690944930_AfLA8-L.jpg

11-The view at opening kickoff from where she would have been sitting with us at home games. She was a rabid fan.
690981845_RgmWp-L.jpg

The boys went on to win the game. The score was 42 to 6 at the end of the first quarter, with a final of 62 to 9. The younger guys were able to play the entire second half in a special night. A night that made me proud to be from this special community.

More at this link!!!

Comments

• Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Jeff, I'm teary eyed looking at these moving pictures. What a tribute! Wonderful work Jeff. Your photos are a touching tribute this special commemoration.
  • Options
    Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Wow! These photos brought me to tears. The actions of the team and the school are memorable and selfless. What a wonderful bunch of kids. Great job capturing such special moments.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Oh man...#2 brought the tears right away. What a capture. And then seeing all those big boys in black and pink...
    Great documentation of a moving, poignant event.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif I didn't get past the 2nd post and the tears just started rolling! What a moving game and evening that must have been! Your photos are a great documentation of a very special event.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    I added my own contribution of water to the mix. These images, especially those of the family gathering center-field, struck a very strong chord with me. Well done. There's no doubt the family will treasure your gift to them! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    More tears here.

Amazing and deeply thoughtful gift to Vicki's family and to everyone who participated.

Your photographsare wonderful and will be treasured by everyone involved.

Thank you very,very much for sharing.

You do indeed live among an outstanding and special community.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Moving and amazing series. I'm glad you agreed to shoot it, and thank you for sharing it here.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Very moving, Jeff.

Thanks for sharing these images and the story.
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    More waterworks here. So moving and touching to see all of those people in support of such an important cause! Thank you for taking the time to share!!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Moving to say the least. Excellent work Jeff.
  • Options
    markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    What an impressive tribute to an obviously wonderful woman. I wouldn"t have been able to see thru my viewfinder. You did an amazing thing documenting this for everyone involved. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    No words. :cryiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    This post and the pictures have me in tears. Cancer is such a horrid word with horrid results as times. I'm sure that the many who have posted replies on here have been affected in some shape or form by this disease.

This set of photos are amazing and a wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman.

Thank you for sharing
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    very touching, ditto to what others have said...thank you for sharing these.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2009
    Thanks to all who have commented....

Now may be a good time for me to 'fess up and say that my mother is a breast cancer survivor. She is from a family of 10 kids in which cancer has run rampamt. So much so, that our family was the subject of a genetic study in which the gene that causes breast cancer in my realatives was singled out and identified. This study involved genetic testing of over a hundred of us.....including myself. Yes, I drove down to the breast cancer research lab and had blood drawn....then waited pins and needles only to find out I do not carry the gene.....as many of us don't. I was so relieved that we didn't have to get our kids tested......as the buck stops here!

Those that carry the gene can expect a 50% greater chance of contracting cancer than those of us who don't. Scarey odds.

The key, though, is in early detection. So girls.....get your exams!.....regularly!thumb.gif

Again....thank you all for your response.

691100661_YytyB-M.jpg

691105320_MnKjB-L.jpg

691148251_jerti-L.jpg

690940529_gko3v-L.jpg

691023670_kMdDE-M.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Words escape me but good job at providing the support you can.

These images will be precious keep sake for her family.

Sam
  • Options
    JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Great story and you did an excellent job capturing the emotion of the story.
    edited October 25, 2009
    Amazing story, and great shots, Jeff. Well done, to all.
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    Amazing story, and great shots, Jeff. Well done, to all.

I can only agree with all the previous comments, other words fail me.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    :cry
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    Sir HawkinsSir Hawkins Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    all i can say is WOW
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    I had tears the first time I read this and viewed the pics....then I wanted to share it with my 12 yr old football player...and I was crying enough to not be able to read it to him. Your photos and words are a wonderful addition to the tribute of the team and community.

Simply amazing all of the details that they covered. Congrats to them and I hope the rest of their season goes as well. Football players everywhere will be impressed with their accomplishments.

for now I will enjoy the fact that my own son wants to spend the rest of the day just hanging out with his mom.....because he can.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2009
    I had tears the first time I read this and viewed the pics....then I wanted to share it with my 12 yr old football player...and I was crying enough to not be able to read it to him. Your photos and words are a wonderful addition to the tribute of the team and community.

Simply amazing all of the details that they covered. Congrats to them and I hope the rest of their season goes as well. Football players everywhere will be impressed with their accomplishments.

for now I will enjoy the fact that my own son wants to spend the rest of the day just hanging out with his mom.....because he can.

THAT is awesome.....I hope you two had a great day together!!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited October 28, 2009
    What a wonderful tribute thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Thanks so much for sharing such a caring story. It is difficult to read through this post with watery eyes. I hope this story, your words and your photos are shared with your hometown, the family, and her friends. This can be a treasure to share and remember for many years to come.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    Hey I appreciate the response everyone.

Im happy to say that the school raised enough money Friday night to offer to purchase the headstone....as circumstances had prevented that purchase until now. Unfortunately our coach has recieved some REALLY bad press from ESPN and FOX news in the last couple weeks for a play that was run in a game a few weeks ago. The caption on FOX read "Great pass - No class" and went on to say that he chose to run a tricky behind the back pass while ahead 56 to 0. The truth (I was there) was that we had missed our extra point kick on our first touchdown. After scoring a second one we tried another kick, but the opposing team was called offsides and moved us closer to the goal. The coach ran the offense out for a two point try and called the behind the back pass play. It was flawless and we got our two points to put things at 14-0.

Anyway, I think he is a class act for a number of reasons, but especially for what he has done for this family.

...and now Im left to wonder how far off from the truth the rest of what I see on Cable news is.....ne_nau.gif

Here is the play...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abVrcAGlT_U
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited October 29, 2009
    Jeff, it's all talking heads. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    Jeff, like everyone else here, I'm in awe. I lost my grandmother to breast cancer, so I can only begin to understand the loss that it brings to a family.

I just love how a simple night of taking pictures, a hobby we all love and some make into a business, can make such a HUGE impact in someone's life. Now, thanks to your work, that family will remember this day forever.

This is why I got into photography, to turn events into memories. Portraits are fun, and I love sports photography, but event photography is such a precious thing, whether it be weddings, proms/dances, or an event like this.

Excellent work, as always Jeff, and I hope you're proud of your work!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    allensfotoallensfoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Wow!
    :cry Please let me start by saying thank you for sharing.. the story is amazing.. you really captured the essence of the night.. what a wonderful community.. it is great to see this in today's society.. don't worry about the news.. the coach seem very much a class act.. i'll keep the family in my prayers..
    Curtis
    Failure is not an option for me,
    So i just keep pressing the shutter and trying again.
    http://allensfoto.net
    :gun2
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Wow, what an amazing way for your community to honor this woman. Truly amazing how they pulled everything together for breast cancer awareness and the memory of her. Thanks for sharing.