Options

#36-Creepy "Disturbia"

2»

Comments

• Options
    TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Thank you Tylwydd---I entered #2.

Looks like she should spend sometime in your Abbey no?

That would be fantastic indeed ! There would be some amzing shots to take for sure...

I'll have to work on models make up a bit and get more accessories too ^^
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    I'm bummed that I haven't been able to make it on to the forum recently - I'm coming in after everyone has chosen their image already!

Anyway, great shots Liz. I immediately thought of Sweeney Todd when I saw them. Specifically your choice - #2.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    CoryUT wrote:
    I'm bummed that I haven't been able to make it on to the forum recently - I'm coming in after everyone has chosen their image already!

Anyway, great shots Liz. I immediately thought of Sweeney Todd when I saw them. Specifically your choice - #2.

Hey you!
    Been wondering where you were.

Sweeney Todd hey? That sounds good to me. It was not an easy choice btw---but I was going to drive myself crazy if I debated it any longer.

Thanks for looking and commenting--glad you also liked the one I chose.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    sgbotsfordsgbotsford Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Sad
    ... without the knife.

With the knife, she is menacing, manic, barely in control, frightening.

Without it, she is sad, lost, separated from reality in her own world.

But to me none of this set is creepy. The closest is the one where you can
    just see a bit of the handle and a bare hint of the blade.

Question:

What is the difference between creepy, disgusting, frightening, gory.

Can you imagine a portrait that is beautiful, but creepy?

An image that is frightening, but not creepy, an image that is creepy but not
    mysterious.?

Can a picture well lit, in the open, high noon be creepy?

Creepy to me has to express an unknown, unclear threat to me or someone dear
    to me. Creepy asks a dozen questions, and answers none of them.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    I think like beauty, creepy is in the eye of the beholder.
    I myself found the one with the handle of the blade barely visible the most in-your-face frightening. However I figured #2 (the one I chose which is titled "Don't You Love me Anymore?") would resonate with more people.

The reason I chose that one is because I think a majority of people either male or female can relate. I think most everyone has at one point or another "been there and done that", meaning they have met someone and fell head over heels and then it goes south and it makes you lose yourself. You find yourself out of control and it's frightening, the need to keep them in your life is overwhelming, the realization that they no longer love you is devastating

When I asked my sister to model for me, I asked her to recall a particular relationship in which she lost it (I know I was there) and that's what we came up with and you know it struck a chord--like I said been there and done that. I may not have had the knife, but I remember feeling desperate and clingy and needy and in love AND that is what I wanted to express---if you are on the receiving end of that crazy-in-love and desperate then yes I think it can be very creepy. I've been on the receiving end as well, and I found it frightening--so again it's in the eye of the beholder.

I also think that you can look creepy while also looking beautiful, I think portrait 2 is the perfect case in point.

Thank you so much for your comment. Made me stop and think and explain why I chose #2. You gave me a lot to ponder, I hope I answered some of your questions.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    sgbotsfordsgbotsford Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Creepy
    My wife and I chatted about creepy while doing dishes.

Part of creepy is surprise. Easier to do creepy with sound or video, than with stills.

Part of creepy is unknown. There is an undercurrent of menace in the way the unknown is presented. Creepy asks questions you aren't certain you want to know
    the answers to.

I don't have the resources to shoot this, but picture this for a creepy shot:

Clearing. Daylight, but late enough in the day that shadows are long.

Abandoned farm house, off to the side. The grass has wildflowers. Remnants
    of the gardens escaped.

In the shadow of the farm house is a fresh, open grave.
    There are a few rose petals sprinkled on the dirt pile.

There are no tracks in the long grass.

Menace comes from:

Setting sun. Soon it will be dark.
    Who dug the grave? Why? Who is it for?
    How was it dug without leaving tracks?
    What is the significance of the rose petals.