Zion Subway

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited November 9, 2009 in Landscapes
AaronNelson, BeachBill and myself began our hike to the subway well before dawn. The first hour was spent on a suicidally steep descent in the darkness down the face of the high canyon. We got to the river at first light and spent the next few hours following it to the Subway. The scenery starts out fabulous and gets better the further you go. I'll get right to the best stuff.

#1 When you get to the big tiered waterfall, you're pretty much there. (EDIT: This is the new reprocessed version.)
694574923_apQZK-XL.jpg

694023025_x7jCg-XL.jpg

#3 Entrance gate
694025105_6zVBL-XL.jpg

694027787_mHfMx-XL.jpg

694267591_5VdpL-XL.jpg

694006231_rSbvz-XL.jpg

694003129_Xhwec-XL.jpg

694033697_2mq3U-XL.jpg

#9 The end of the road, or at least as far as I was willing to go
694009073_JKwSa-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking, and hope you enjoyed it.

-joel

Comments

• wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Great shots. Mmmm, candy.
    Anybody can do it.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    clap.gif

Very nice stuff Joel. Jealous of the trip for sure.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Very nice series of images, Joel! I like #2, 7, and 8 the most.
    The first shot has a nice composition but it has way too much of that HDR look to it. Also, I'd tone down the blues in the water.
    Anyway, besides some issues with #1, these looks great overall.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    O my - these are gorgeous!!! The first two are my faves - BEAUTIFUL! they need to be hung on a wall! It looks like it was well worth the hike!!!clap.gif
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Shots are good, light and compo-wise. But I dislike garish, overdone HDR. Way over the top IMO.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 27, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    Great shots. Mmmm, candy.

Mmmm. Thanks, Walter. :D
    edited October 27, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    clap.gif

Very nice stuff Joel. Jealous of the trip for sure.

Thank you, my friend. So many places to shoot, so little time. :cry
    edited October 27, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Very nice series of images, Joel! I like #2, 7, and 8 the most.
    The first shot has a nice composition but it has way too much of that HDR look to it. Also, I'd tone down the blues in the water.
    Anyway, besides some issues with #1, these looks great overall.

Thanks, Danny! I definitely need to redo #1. I don't like the blue either. I did take a run at removing it, but evidently was too stupid to figure out how. Maybe I'll tone down the HDR look too while I'm at it. Appreciate the comments!

-joel
    edited October 27, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    O my - these are gorgeous!!! The first two are my faves - BEAUTIFUL! they need to be hung on a wall! It looks like it was well worth the hike!!!clap.gif
    Thanks, Eia! It was definitely worth the hike. nod.gif In fact, even the hike is worth the hike!

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 27, 2009
    alexf wrote:
    Shots are good, light and compo-wise. But I dislike garish, overdone HDR. Way over the top IMO.
    Thanks, Alexf! Garish comment is duly noted and acknowledged. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 27, 2009
    First picture has completely reprocessed and replaced, so please take another look and let me know how it looks. (I just deleted the old one because it was too over the top.)

Thanks!!
    -joel
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Wow Joel, these are great. The tonemapping isn't overdone. thumb.gif
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Man, I am DYING to shoot that location. Please tell me more about the hike- how long, strenuous, etc. Great compositions thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Great job Joel. clap.gifclap.gif What an amazing place; one which I will never see in person.

Danny
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    694023025_x7jCg-S.jpg

-joel

sweet set, but this is bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Man, I am DYING to shoot that location. Please tell me more about the hike- how long, strenuous, etc. Great compositions thumb.gif

Im going to do this again in spring...

This is how we link up for these trips, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=78528747529
    Aaron Nelson
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Some seriously cool stuff, Joel! bowdown.gif

Love them all...not gonna pick one. :D
    edited October 27, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Wow Joel, these are great. The tonemapping isn't overdone. thumb.gif

Thanks, Bryan! I value your input, so this is good is good to know. You may not have seen the original version of #1, and that one was definitely over-baked.

I appreciate you checking in. thumb.gif
    -joel
    edited October 27, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Chris, I do a lot of hiking, and I'd call this a strenuous hike. The most strenuous section is at the beginning and end when you either descend or ascend the steep canyon wall down to the water . There's a well used trail on this route, so it's easy to see where you're going. But, there's slippery dirt and tons of roots and big rocks to scramble over. Often times you're perched right on the edge, so a slip could be very dangerous. Then you get to the river, and there are multiple routes criss-crossing the river. Basically you choose between either bank, or traveling up the river itself, picking and choosing as you go. There are many times where you stop and reassess because it appears you've hit a dead-end, or at least something more scary or wetter than you want to get. So you try something else, and of course this increases your workload.

We spent a full day at this from well before dawn to dinner time. Aaron had said the hike was 6 miles round-trip, but it seemed much longer than that to me. I just checked the National Park Service Website for it, and they say the hike is 5 miles in each direction which puts the total at 10 miles. That's more inline with my estimate. So it's strenuous, non-technical, and doable. However, there is definitely some danger involved. There was one dude from Seattle with a big grin on his face, very wet, and with well-bloodied legs. He'd had some falls. That didn't dampen his spirits though and he was getting some great shots that he showed me. You'll want plenty of water and food for the trip. Our own BeachBill took a bad fall himself in the Subway on the slippery wet leaves. You want to have good grip shoes and just be very careful. You should definitely do it though if you ever get the chance. Being in shape definitely will increase your enjoyment of the experience.

-joel
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Joel,
    I'm speechless.....bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 27, 2009
    sweet set, but this is bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks, Aaron. Figures you'd pick the one non-HDR of the bunch. :D

Great hanging with you, man. And thanks so much for organizing the event and your hospitality. thumb.gif I'll look forward to seeing the rest of your shots as well.

-joel
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    eek7.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Am I happy for this little detour away from Wildlife forum.
    Very impressive images Joel thumb.gif
    Love the colors.
    I was playing around with the idea to visit Zion for the fall colors,
    now I don't have to anymore after seeing your images ne_nau.gif:D
    Actually, now I'm inspired wings.gif :ivar
    Russ
    edited October 27, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great job Joel. clap.gifclap.gif What an amazing place; one which I will never see in person.

Danny
    Thanks, Dan! Never say never. Start working out now, and it'll be a walk in the park for you come next spring when we do it again. nod.gif
    Of course, it's a big planet, and nobody gets to see it all. headscratch.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 27, 2009
    Im going to do this again in spring...

This is how we link up for these trips, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=78528747529

deal.gif
    edited October 27, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Some seriously cool stuff, Joel! bowdown.gif

Love them all...not gonna pick one. :D

Thanks, Ric! You don't have to pick one, you can have 'em all. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Chris, I do a lot of hiking, and I'd call this a strenuous hike. The most strenuous section is at the beginning and end when you either descend or ascend the steep canyon wall down to the water . There's a well used trail on this route, so it's easy to see where you're going. But, there's slippery dirt and tons of roots and big rocks to scramble over. Often times you're perched right on the edge, so a slip could be very dangerous. Then you get to the river, and there are multiple routes criss-crossing the river. Basically you choose between either bank, or traveling up the river itself, picking and choosing as you go. There are many times where you stop and reassess because it appears you've hit a dead-end, or at least something more scary or wetter than you want to get. So you try something else, and of course this increases your workload.
    -joel

thanks for the info, I'm definitely going to put it on the list. Sounds like time is of the essence for a day trip. Assuming you could bring it, is camping in the area overnight allowed?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Joel,

That has got to be a first. Way to go Joel rolleyes1.gif
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Great images Joel, and #1 is a WOW bowdown.gif
    Randy
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Now you know why the Subway is awesome!

My favorites are the first two, I'd like to see the first without the HDR treatment though.
    edited October 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Joel,
    Really? That's a first! :wow rolleyes1.gif

Thank you, sir!!!

Cheers,
    -joel