Zion Subway

2»

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 27, 2009
    eek7.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Am I happy for this little detour away from Wildlife forum.
    Very impressive images Joel thumb.gif
    Love the colors.
    I was playing around with the idea to visit Zion for the fall colors,
    now I don't have to anymore after seeing your images ne_nau.gif:D
    Actually, now I'm inspired wings.gif :ivar
    Hey, Russ! How ya doing man? wave.gif

You know, the great thing about landscapes is that they don't run away when you try to take their picture! rolleyes1.gif

Let's hook up for a shoot sometime. Bosque season is coming up. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 27, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    thanks for the info, I'm definitely going to put it on the list. Sounds like time is of the essence for a day trip. Assuming you could bring it, is camping in the area overnight allowed?

Chris, there are two campgrounds right in Zion. There are also numerous hotels in Springdale, maybe 20 minutes away. I stayed in St. George which was an hour away and has tons of places to stay. I'm guessing that camping along the river is forbidden, but man would that be awesome.

-joel
    edited October 27, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    That has got to be a first. Way to go Joel rolleyes1.gif

I know, I was pretty speechless myself when I saw his comment. :wow rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 27, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Great images Joel, and #1 is a WOW bowdown.gif
    Thank you, sir!!
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Joel, wow I love #2. I'm glad I waited for you to take it before telling you to get out of my way. :D
    chrismoore wrote:
    thanks for the info, I'm definitely going to put it on the list. Sounds like time is of the essence for a day trip. Assuming you could bring it, is camping in the area overnight allowed?

I camped in the Watchman Campground at $13 a night just inside the park at Springdale. There is also a 6 site primitive campground in the Kolob Terrace section of the park on the way to the trailhead.

As far as I know, there is no camping in the canyon itself, and I don't think I would want to try if there was *any* chance of rain. The high water mark on the canyon walls was about 50ft above our heads.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited October 27, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Now you know why the Subway is awesome!

My favorites are the first two, I'd like to see the first without the HDR treatment though.
    Ok, here you go. This mainly a single image, with the upper left quadrant hand-merged from a darker frame because it was in the sun and blown out (especially that dead tree). Interesting exercise.

Single image version
    695156494_mJWbk-XL.jpg

HDR version for comparison
    694574923_apQZK-XL.jpg
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Ok, here you go. This mainly a single image, with the upper left quadrant hand-merged from a darker frame because it was in the sun and blown out (especially that dead tree). Interesting exercise.

Single image version
    695156494_mJWbk-XL.jpg

HDR version for comparison
    694574923_apQZK-XL.jpg

I like the colors on the single image better, the tree is a darker green and it looks more natural against the canyon wall, and it also appears to be a little crisper and sharper (single exposure and not quite as saturated which can cause a loss of definition - the yellow trees specifically). I don't think in this case that tonemapping was necessary for this photo, you bracketed and got the dead tree under control and that's perfect. They both appear to be a little over sharpened for the current size.

I stopped doing automatic/tonemapping HDR when I got a 5D MII and noticed way too much noise in Photomatix (could be fixed in later versions). It also took forever - even on a decent computer - with the huge raw files. I've found that I can usually do what I want with a single exposure (often with the help of a GND filter) and if not just manually blend exposures.

If you disagree with any of this read my signature lol3.gif

Also - I don't mean to sound like I don't like this photo, as I do like it. I wish I had taken a horizontal comp of this spot like this. I was a little overwhelemed with the scenery though, I hadn't ever seen anything like this. I told Danny at the time "I think this is the coolest @#$#!$! waterfall I've ever seen." We were in a rush to get to the subway but stopped dead in our tracks when came upon this.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Great shots of a beautiful spot.
    When we were at Zion for a shootout, we weren't allowed in this area due to the threat of rising water.
    Now I see what I missed.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited October 28, 2009
    The color difference is partially due to using autocolor which I tried because I thought the original was too red. That made it too cool, so I backed it off 50%. I'm guessing they'd be a lot closer otherwise. I was actually surprised at how close I got them. What it really needs now is some manual merging with the overexposed frame to lighten the shadows and bring out the wispier water flows that got lost in the single version.

They look oversharpened to you? That's the one problem I have with Smugmug autosizing -- I'm still trying to figure out the right amounts. I thought these looked pretty good, but I'll try a little less next time.

Haven't seen any noise issues with the 5DMII images in Photomatix. I'm converting to TIFF in ACR then importing those into the latest version of Photomatix. I did have to repair some funny artifacts it created in this shot, so the single version is looking like a win all the way around, once I do some more work to it. I'm getting better at hand merging, something I know Nikolai will appreciate. mwink.gif I'm not ready to give up on HDR completely though as there are some things it definitely does do better, and sometimes merging the two versions can give you the best of both worlds.
    coscorrosa wrote:
    If you disagree with any of this read my signature lol3.gif
    Well, then that makes two of us, bro'. :giggle But really, thanks for the interesting discussion. thumb.gif
    edited October 28, 2009
    davev wrote:
    Great shots of a beautiful spot.
    When we were at Zion for a shootout, we weren't allowed in this area due to the threat of rising water.
    Now I see what I missed.

Thanks, Dave! Sounds like you're due to go back. What time of year were you kept out? We were thinking of doing a spring shoot there next time.

-joel
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Chris, there are two campgrounds right in Zion. There are also numerous hotels in Springdale, maybe 20 minutes away. I stayed in St. George which was an hour away and has tons of places to stay. I'm guessing that camping along the river is forbidden, but man would that be awesome.

-joel

dang I was hoping I could hike down there and camp out for a couple days to take my time and get that really good light!
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Dave! Sounds like you're due to go back. What time of year were you kept out? We were thinking of doing a spring shoot there next time.

-joel

We were there in mid May.
    Maybe contact a Ranger and see if there is a typical date that they open that area up.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Joel, it all about the storms... They can cancel a permit anytime.

Ive been looking at the nps gov sites, reading the water run off charts, and Im sure April & May will be a delight....
    Aaron Nelson
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    dang I was hoping I could hike down there and camp out for a couple days to take my time and get that really good light!

https://zionpermits.nps.gov/index.cfm
    Aaron Nelson
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2009
    very nice shots, makes me want to take a trip to zion.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Hey Joel, when I was in Moab, I visited a local photo gallery, and your first shot (almost exactly) was on sale for $1K. Tom Hill, I think was the photographer. It was a very large print poorly framed.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Hey Joel, when I was in Moab, I visited a local photo gallery, and your first shot (almost exactly) was on sale for $1K. Tom Hill, I think was the photographer. It was a very large print poorly framed.

Tom Till is a famous Utah photographer. You can find his images in many of the official State of Utah travel materials. With that said, I don't know much more about him or his work... ne_nau.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited November 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Hey Dan, thanks for the info and for thinking of me. I think you, me, and lots of us here in Dgrin have images that could sell. All it takes is the right marketing.

I hadn't heard of Tom Till, so I did some googling and found his website. He's a large-format kinda guy, like a Michael Fatali, only on a larger scale, and with less gimmicky processing. He's been around for a long time and has huge portfolio of stock images from around the word it seems.

Hey, look what I found. This might give you an idea the next time you visit the Mittens in the snow. mwink.gifhttp://www.tomtill.com/photography/portfolios.cfm?mode=image&id=1191627982&startrow=4

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Sublim3Sublim3 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Beautiful, all of them. The best time ever is getting a good hike in and taking excellent pictures.thumb.gif
    Mitch
    mitcht.smugmug.com
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Joel,
    I'm speechless.....bowdown.gif

I agree. These shots are off the charts!!
  • NinaNina Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    I'm no lover of HDR but some of these are really stunning Joel!clap.gif
    edited November 9, 2009
    Sublim3 wrote:
    Beautiful, all of them. The best time ever is getting a good hike in and taking excellent pictures.thumb.gif

Thanks, Sublim3. I completely agree. It doesn't get any better than a good hike in beautiful country with good friends and practicing your photography and some beautiful landscapes. nod.gif

Hey, welcome to Dgrin! Look forward to seeing you around. thumb.gif
    edited November 9, 2009
    Nina wrote:
    Thanks, Adam. You're too kind. bowdown.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited November 9, 2009
    Nina wrote:

Thanks, Nina an welcome to Dgrin! HDR can be useful to make up for bad light. And it's fun. :D

Cheers,
    -joel