Arches and Canyonlands

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited November 8, 2009 in Landscapes
I took a few days off to head up to Moab. I'm still processing lots of pics, but here are a few.

Island In The Sky

701306533_MW44e-L.jpg

Window

701399860_K7TtX-XL-1.jpg

Turret Arch Through The North Window

701979468_vT44f-XL-2.jpg

Double Arch Starburst

701546333_rDKWV-XL-1.jpg

Balanced Rock

701424794_zBX2M-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Wow - very intense photos! Hmm... don't know which is my favorite. The 2nd called 'windows' reminds me of an eye! clap.gif
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Amazing shots - love the second last picture thumb.gif
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    This is a beautiful set of photos, but I just can't stop looking at that first one! Absolutely beautiful shot! :D
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Island In The Sky

701306533_MW44e-L.jpg
    WOW!!!! I love this one. Great job on all of them Dan
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    I've been rolling up and down your photos for the last few minutes trying to pick a favorite... it's a waste of time - They're all good. Maybe the 'Window' a slight favorite... or maybe 'Starburst'...

A great series of shots.
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • GriffinGriffin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Wow.

I'm humbled. I just spent several days up there myself and didn't get the same shot of Mesa Arch --- what a difference the right light will make. Next time, sunrise at Mesa will be on my list. Of course, I had lots of things on my list that I didn't get to this trip.

Great Work!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    I really like them all Dan, but that first one is extraordinary!! I could easily see that one on my wall!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Great shots!

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Wow. They're all good but #1 with the under arch lit... hmm... Fantastic

thumb.gif

Very nice work. Looking forward to some more
    Rags
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Wow - very intense photos! Hmm... don't know which is my favorite. The 2nd called 'windows' reminds me of an eye! clap.gif

Thanks Eia. The second and third windows are the same; just different sides. The first one was easy. The second one required every ounce of courage I could muster. It was quite a climb for this old body.rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 3, 2009
    Amazing shots - love the second last picture thumb.gif

Thanks saab.
    edited November 3, 2009
    karlabbott wrote:
    This is a beautiful set of photos, but I just can't stop looking at that first one! Absolutely beautiful shot! :D

I shot that same arch at 3 different times (mid-day, sunset, and finally sunrise). I got there at least 90 minutes before sunrise, and all the best spots were already taken. By the time I left, just after sunrise, there were 19 photographers there.

Thanks for commenting Karl:D
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    I like your Island in the Sky, but it's a bit light. Same thing with #3. Other than that, they're all beautiful.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • IRUKANJIIRUKANJI Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Great stuff Dan! Serious question here though. In the first shot, if you had a plethora of different camears, Would you still get the same shot/effect or some semblance of it? Probably a dumb question but I ask because I love to shoot but don't have the funds for the big guns. Was the setting that good that even a $400 camera would stun or is did the equipment (and obviously your talent) play a bigger roll?
    edited November 3, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    WOW!!!! I love this one. Great job on all of them Dan

Hey, thanks for commenting Dave.thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 3, 2009
    Great stuff, Dan! clap.gif I like the double-arch starburst the best. thumb.gif

Great park, isn't it?

Cheers,
    -joel
  • OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Great series and my favourite is #1, it is an absolutely stunning photograph and reminds me of a sci-fi scene or old Yes album cover. Great depth and composition. The only thing I would do is darken the foreground rock that is slightly right of centre. Well done.
    Oobers
    edited November 4, 2009
    Brody wrote:
    I've been rolling up and down your photos for the last few minutes trying to pick a favorite... it's a waste of time - They're all good. Maybe the 'Window' a slight favorite... or maybe 'Starburst'...

A great series of shots.

Thanks you so much Brody (my new grandson's name thumb.gif ).
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Great set, Dan. I particularly like the lighting and composition in #1 and #4.
    edited November 4, 2009
    Griffin wrote:
    Wow.

I'm humbled. I just spent several days up there myself and didn't get the same shot of Mesa Arch --- what a difference the right light will make. Next time, sunrise at Mesa will be on my list. Of course, I had lots of things on my list that I didn't get to this trip.

Great Work!
    Thanks Grif. I went there 3 times to get this shot, and I still didn't get the best place to shoot from.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Wonderful series ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited November 4, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    I like your Island in the Sky, but it's a bit light. Same thing with #3. Other than that, they're all beautiful.

Cuong

Thanks Cuong. I fixed #3thumb.gif
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    I had been reading your FB updates on your trip and have been waiting patiently to see the results. I'm very impressed!
    It's too hard for me to pick a favorite from this series so I'll just say that they're all good.

One thing that I think is worth mentioning is a problem that I'm seeing with the first one. The La Sal mountain range on the distant horizon is far too dark and hard-edged to be natural. How was the shot blended? Did you do it manually or is this the result of an automated HDR program? In any case, I'd bring the brightness of the mountains way down, maybe even to the point where they blend into the background (if that's the only way to keep them natural looking).
    edited November 4, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    I had been reading your FB updates on your trip and have been waiting patiently to see the results. I'm very impressed!
    It's too hard for me to pick a favorite from this series so I'll just say that they're all good.

One thing that I think is worth mentioning is a problem that I'm seeing with the first one. The La Sal mountain range on the distant horizon is far too dark and hard-edged to be natural. How was the shot blended? Did you do it manually or is this the result of an automated HDR program? In any case, I'd bring the brightness of the mountains way down, maybe even to the point where they blend into the background (if that's the only way to keep them natural looking).

Thanks Danny. thumb.gif I blended the sky and mountains with the rest of the image using PS. What you see is the actual unedited Lasal mountains and sky. I am just learning how to blend, so I am sure I could have done a better job with this. I will play with it some more to see how I can make it look "more natural". Any suggestions you might have are welcome. :D

Danny
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks Danny. thumb.gif I blended the sky and mountains with the rest of the image using PS. What you see is the actual unedited Lasal mountains and sky. I am just learning how to blend, so I am sure I could have done a better job with this. I will play with it some more to see how I can make it look "more natural". Any suggestions you might have are welcome. :D

Danny

I think I see what you did. The La Sals must have been part of the sky exposure and you did a hard blend along the horizon, just at the base of the mountains. I'd suggest doing more of a gradient here so that the foreground exposure is more gradually mixed with the sky. That should result in the mountains not sticking out quite as much.

I remember my shot from here was a huge pain to blend (it was probably the hardest I've ever done). There is so much dynamic range and you have to be careful to make sure all the different elements are properly exposed. It just takes some time and practice. Have fun! rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 4, 2009
    IRUKANJI wrote:
    Great stuff Dan! Serious question here though. In the first shot, if you had a plethora of different camears, Would you still get the same shot/effect or some semblance of it? Probably a dumb question but I ask because I love to shoot but don't have the funds for the big guns. Was the setting that good that even a $400 camera would stun or is did the equipment (and obviously your talent) play a bigger roll?

You could certainly get this shot, if you knew how, with any dslr and a tripod. Two exposures blended in PS.:D :D
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Wow, fantastic series! I especially love the first one and the sunburst. I love your perspectives, they are very creative and unusual. we have all seen these photos many times before so the challenge is to bring something new and or different. You hit the mark on both counts. Congrats.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    These are fantastic. I always enjoy your photos, these especially. thumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Looks like you had a fun and productive trip! My favorite is that Mesa Arch shot, the light on the arch and rocks is fantastic.
    edited November 5, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Great set, Dan. I particularly like the lighting and composition in #1 and #4.

Thanks Tom. Appreciate you checking in :D