Arches and Canyonlands

2»

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Doug Solis wrote:
    Wow, fantastic series! I especially love the first one and the sunburst. I love your perspectives, they are very creative and unusual. we have all seen these photos many times before so the challenge is to bring something new and or different. You hit the mark on both counts. Congrats.

Thanks Doug. That is very kind of you to say. Actually, on that first shot, I had little choice. There were so many photographers lined up when I got there, and that was the last spot rolleyes1.gif
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Dan,

I really like the comps with the Window and Double Arch. I know these places get over-photographed and you did a nice job with a unique perspective.

I've read through the thread and know that the Mesa Arch blending technique has been discussed. You also have some harsh haloes along the bottom side of the arch. I know blending can be difficult and editting a sunrise shot at Mesa Arch is tough too. I took probably close to 100 frames the morning I was at Mesa Arch and I ultimately chose one that didn't have too much sky. I'm not the best when it comes to blending, but I just figured I'd bring this to your attention as well. All in all, a nice series!
    edited November 5, 2009
    acowan wrote:
    Dan,

I really like the comps with the Window and Double Arch. I know these places get over-photographed and you did a nice job with a unique perspective.

I've read through the thread and know that the Mesa Arch blending technique has been discussed. You also have some harsh haloes along the bottom side of the arch. I know blending can be difficult and editting a sunrise shot at Mesa Arch is tough too. I took probably close to 100 frames the morning I was at Mesa Arch and I ultimately chose one that didn't have too much sky. I'm not the best when it comes to blending, but I just figured I'd bring this to your attention as well. All in all, a nice series!

Thanks very much for your feedback. I just looked at your Moab shots and I see what you did with your Mesa shot to keep it "technically correct". You are right. It is hard to blend and avoid halos and other "artifacts". Thanks again for your feedback thumb.gif

Danny
    edited November 5, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    These are fantastic. I always enjoy your photos, these especially. thumb.gif

Thanks Bryan. Appreciate your kind remarks :D
    edited November 6, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Looks like you had a fun and productive trip! My favorite is that Mesa Arch shot, the light on the arch and rocks is fantastic.

Thanks Ron. I tried taking your advice and getting there early enough to stake out a spot, but apparently I did not get there early enough. 25° F at 4 AM and the place is packed. Who would have thoughtrolleyes1.gif

Anyway, I am sure you have some thoughts on how to improve that shot or maybe Danny already covered it.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 6, 2009
    edited November 6, 2009
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    superb composition on #1 :D
    phil

Thanks you very much Phil.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks Ron. I tried taking your advice and getting there early enough to stake out a spot, but apparently I did not get there early enough. 25° F at 4 AM and the place is packed. Who would have thoughtrolleyes1.gif

Anyway, I am sure you have some thoughts on how to improve that shot or maybe Danny already covered it.

Heh, I think Mesa Arch at sunrise is the most popular photo spot near Moab, followed by Delicate Arch at sunset, followed by the Windows at sunrise. My advice on the shot is just to play with it until it looks the way you want it to :D And if that's not possible, then it gives you a great excuse to go back to Moab!
    edited November 8, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Heh, I think Mesa Arch at sunrise is the most popular photo spot near Moab, followed by Delicate Arch at sunset, followed by the Windows at sunrise. My advice on the shot is just to play with it until it looks the way you want it to :D And if that's not possible, then it gives you a great excuse to go back to Moab!

In that case, it is done, cause I like itwings.gif I will definitely go back anyway. Shimon and I have decided we have to hit at least 2 national parks a year.:ivar