Options

bulk keyword tool problem?

Comments

• Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    pilotdave wrote:
    An indexed keyword is a "real" keyword. It shows up in your keywords list, searches, etc. A non-indexed keyword is an invalid keyword. It'll appear in your keyword editing tools, but it won't appear "publicly" or on any keywords list or in search results.

Dave

Good to know, thanks Dave! thumb.gif

Malte
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Show us, exactly where, please?

I'm sorry Andy, but if I left it that way my keyword wouldn't work.

The keyword tool doesn't automatically leave a comma after the last keyword. In fact if you put one there it deletes it.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    I'm sorry Andy, but if I left it that way my keyword wouldn't work.

The keyword tool doesn't automatically leave a comma after the last keyword. In fact if you put one there it deletes it.
    For a week or two, it did. In fact, it was even putting a comma after the last keyword! Now, that seems to have stopped.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    BSingBSing Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    If i only have one multi-word keyword, like "all pictures", the comma after the keyword is thrown away so it isn't seen as a multi-word keyword and isn't allowed. eek7.gif

Similar things happening here:

I uploaded a gallery this weekend. All IPTC keywords were blank in original photos. Upon upload, smug added "csta" and "rca" keywords from the filenames (can't WAIT for that to be eliminated).

I want "Costa Rica" (one keyword phrase, no quotes). In the bulk keyword tool, I removed all the smug-added stuff.

I then added "costa rica" (no quotes) to all keywords. Saved, and went back, and the keywords were "costa" and "rica" (two keywords, no quotes)

Added "costa rica," (trailing comma, no quotes) to all keyword boxes. Saved, and went back, and the keywords were still "costa" and "rica" (no quotes)

Added "costa rica, vacation" (no quotes) to all keywords. That worked, adding "Costa Rica" and "vacation" as keywords.

So how would I enter "costa rica" as a single keyword phrase using the bulk tool? It worked if I added an additional keyword, but how to do it without doing that?

B
  • Options
    scottkwestscottkwest Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    BSing wrote:
    Similar things happening here:

I uploaded a gallery this weekend. All IPTC keywords were blank in original photos. Upon upload, smug added "csta" and "rca" keywords from the filenames (can't WAIT for that to be eliminated).

I want "Costa Rica" (one keyword phrase, no quotes). In the bulk keyword tool, I removed all the smug-added stuff.

I then added "costa rica" (no quotes) to all keywords. Saved, and went back, and the keywords were "costa" and "rica" (two keywords, no quotes)

Added "costa rica," (trailing comma, no quotes) to all keyword boxes. Saved, and went back, and the keywords were still "costa" and "rica" (no quotes)

Added "costa rica, vacation" (no quotes) to all keywords. That worked, adding "Costa Rica" and "vacation" as keywords.

So how would I enter "costa rica" as a single keyword phrase using the bulk tool? It worked if I added an additional keyword, but how to do it without doing that?

B

B - It sounds like David has this one fixed in an unreleased version. The 'bug' in the current release is that the comma at the end isn't added. To compound this, when only a single two-word keyword is there, it is seen as two words since there are no commas.

For now, adding a second keyword, or a comma at the end, should work. And when the fix is released, this won't be a problem.

Scott
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Quotes and commas
    I've been reading the progress of the keyword changes. I decided not to try to fix anything until ... the best time. :D
    Right now some of my keywords - all of which were quote-separated, have been converted to comma-separated, and some remain quote-separated.

Should I wait longer and the rest of the quote-separated keywords will convert to commas? Or if some are still quote-separated, will they remain that way and I should convert them manually? I'd rather wait for SM to convert them and then do the mop-up, if possible.

Thanks.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 4, 2009
    Bug fixes are now live, plus an account level setting to disable filename keywording.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    Bug fixes are now live, plus an account level setting to disable filename keywording.
    Wooohooooooooo!

I can hear jfriend and 100 other dgrinners shouting with glee!
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    devbobo wrote:

Hooray.

I found the filename setting. It's in Control Panel-> Settings.

Checked that a single two-word keyword can be followed by a comma - that works now.

Had to remove several dozen four digit numbers by hand (thinking of them as "4 letter words" by now), but no new ones have been indexed, even though they exist in most of my old galleries.

Thanks for the improvement!
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    devbobo wrote:

The bulk keyword tool still seems to have some bugs. They relate to adding commas when keywords are added using the "preview" button at the top.

When an image has one or zero keywords, a comma is not automatically inserted when a keyword is inserted. You can end up with a list of space-separated keywords.

When a multi-word keyword is inserted, the trailing comma is inserted improperly (not at the end). In one case I tried, the second word (a 3-digit number, to be exact) didn't get inserted at all. Putting quotes around a multi-word keyword does work, but I thought we didn't need those anymore.

Also, it looks like single and double digit keywords are working, but only with quotes around them. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    devbobo wrote:

OK, I've ticked the setting. Now, how do I delete all the four digit numerical file seqence keywords I have? I have always used continuous filenaming, same in two cameras, so these keywords will be associated with 0-2 pictures. Can I do a search for numericals?

Malte
  • Options
    canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Problems with operations on selections of multiple keywords
    I just noticed what I think is a related problem. A number of operations that used to work for selections based on multiple keywords no longer seem to work. For example, if I select photos with keywords favorite and hongkong,

http://canghuixu.smugmug.com/keyword/favorite-hongkong

the photos come up just fine, but if I click Slideshow, there is no slideshow. The screen goes black, I see the 'Press Esc to return...' message, and the screen stays black indefinitely. This happens in Chrome and Firefox, on Vista and Windows 7.

Similarly, if I click on Tools Caption/Keyword, I used to be able to carry out operations on the keywords and captions for photos already defined by multiple keywords, so for example for all photos keyworded favorite and china I could add a favchina, so as to have a single keyword to use in a slideshow feed. Caption/Keyword no longer works. If I click on it, all I see is the Smugmug header and footer. Same thing happens in Delete.
  • Options
    canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Ooooh! I am a happy camper, in spite of the glitches noted below. I just noticed that Smugmug now supports keyword feeds for multiple keywords. In the past, feeds were only supported for only one keyword. I have been wanting this for a long time, so that I could embed slideshows based on multiple keywords in my blog and elsewhere. It was pretty straightforward, in the code for the Shazam slideshow, I replaced just dropped in the keywords I wanted, separated by a comma. My blog entry presenting my favorites from my recent trip to Hong Kong has an example of a slideshow based on the keywords favorite and hongkong.

Now that multiple keywords are supported for feeds, I don't need to bother with what I used to do, which was to call up photos based on multiple keywords, and then bulk edit keywords to add some kind of special keyword to distinguish all of them.

Yaaaaay! This is great!

canghuixu wrote:
    I just noticed what I think is a related problem. A number of operations that used to work for selections based on multiple keywords no longer seem to work. For example, if I select photos with keywords favorite and hongkong,

http://canghuixu.smugmug.com/keyword/favorite-hongkong

the photos come up just fine, but if I click Slideshow, there is no slideshow. The screen goes black, I see the 'Press Esc to return...' message, and the screen stays black indefinitely. This happens in Chrome and Firefox, on Vista and Windows 7.

Similarly, if I click on Tools Caption/Keyword, I used to be able to carry out operations on the keywords and captions for photos already defined by multiple keywords, so for example for all photos keyworded favorite and china I could add a favchina, so as to have a single keyword to use in a slideshow feed. Caption/Keyword no longer works. If I click on it, all I see is the Smugmug header and footer. Same thing happens in Delete.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    How nice that the keyword updating is complete! Thanks SmugMug! thumb.gif
    In the spirit of working out the details, I've noticed the following:

- I believe I read that commas are now the preferred separator, so I decided to replace the quotes (where many keywords are phrases) with commas. That should be, I believe, Replace ", "
    with , [comma space], but that operation doesn't work. I get mixed results so I can't tell you it does only X, but generally the quotes don't go away.

- Replacing the combination comma space, with a space, does not work. It's needed because with all the work that was done, commas have been inserted between words in a keyword phrase and have to be removed. This operation results in a phrase with no spaces, so, a run-on word.

Somewhere in my efforts it occurred to me that it appears a comma is treated like a space?

There were several operations that did not work, but I got so involved in trying variations on them, I unfortunately didn't track every version.

gwen
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    OK, I've ticked the setting. Now, how do I delete all the four digit numerical file seqence keywords I have? I have always used continuous filenaming, same in two cameras, so these keywords will be associated with 0-2 pictures. Can I do a search for numericals?

Malte

Malte,

I've removed all your numeric keywords for you.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    NostalgicDadNostalgicDad Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    Malte,

Cheers,

David

David......I don't want to pile on here but I also have loads of numerical keywords that I would like to get rid of after checking the new disable feature. Is there a method I could use to get rid of them?
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    I'm happy to help out with numeric keyword removal as time permits (ie. I'm not giving timelines of when it will be done), so if you're cool with that.

For the record, I'm not doing any back end magic, so anyone with a little bit of time on their hands can achieve the same thing.

I'm currently travelling from Australia to the US, so I'm going to be off the grid for a little bit.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    Malte,

Cheers,

David

Thank you David! iloveyou.gif

Malte
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    Previously, when using space separated keyword strings, you would need to enter the following to achieve the same result...

Melbourne "New York" London

This method still works now, but you will notice that if you save that string, and then open the keyword dialog again...The keyword string has been rewritten as....

Melbourne, "New York", London

For some reason, several keywords were bundled into strings and the bulk functions aren't working well. If I want to replace "nice key words" with "keywords", I have to remove "nice", then "key" and replace "words" with "keywords", but then the coma disappears so it creates a string with other keywords.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    I'm happy to help out with numeric keyword removal as time permits (ie. I'm not giving timelines of when it will be done), so if you're cool with that.

For the record, I'm not doing any back end magic, so anyone with a little bit of time on their hands can achieve the same thing.

I'm currently travelling from Australia to the US, so I'm going to be off the grid for a little bit.

Cheers,

David

Yep, cool with that. Thanks for the response and safe travels.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    For some reason, several keywords were bundled into strings and the bulk functions aren't working well. If I want to replace "nice key words" with "keywords", I have to remove "nice", then "key" and replace "words" with "keywords", but then the coma disappears so it creates a string with other keywords.

this should be working properly as of the release the other day. Resaving the keywords for that image/s will index them correctly
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    this should be working properly as of the release the other day. Resaving the keywords for that image/s will index them correctly

Sorry, not there yet. It still doesn't handle a single, multiple-word keyword, like a first and last name combination.

If I add
    joe smith
    I get: joe, smith

If I start over and add
    joe smith, jane smith
    it works OK

If I remove jane smith, nothing happens.
    If i remove jane, I get
    joe smith smith

When I save this, I get
    joe, smith, smith

It seems that if there is no comma, it assumes spaces are the delimiters, and replaces each space with a comma and a space. And no comma goes at the end.

A sort-of workaround is to always have two or more keywords for each image by adding a dummy single-word keyword.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    scottkwest wrote:
    Sorry, not there yet. It still doesn't handle a single, multiple-word keyword, like a first and last name combination.

If I add
    joe smith
    I get: joe, smith
    quote]

I believe I was able to add
    joe smith, [including a space after the comma]
    and get the right addition of
    joe smith,

Asking to remove a comma by itself (to remove them from multiples words that are supposed to be one keyword phrase:

joe, smith, smiles
    to:
    joesmithsmiles

And one can't replace
    comma space
    with anything
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Is it too late to add a feature request to remove the ability to include foreign characters in keywords and put it back to the way it used to be? mwink.gif

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    devbobo wrote:

Cheers,

David
    Yep, cool with that. Thanks for the response and safe travels.

Dave,

Is this something you are still going to do with my plethora of numerical keywords?
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    Dave,

Is this something you are still going to do with my plethora of numerical keywords?
    If you can wait a few days, we hope to be adding a tool to the bulk kewyords feature where you can remove them easily, yourself. Is that okay?
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    If you can wait a few days, we hope to be adding a tool to the bulk kewyords feature where you can remove them easily, yourself. Is that okay?

Absolutely. Just wasn't sure if something was actively being done or not.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    Absolutely. Just wasn't sure if something was actively being done or not.
    I was aware, but not ready to say anything, until today. And there's always the chance that it gets delayed a bit. But we're hoping for this release this week!
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I was aware, but not ready to say anything, until today. And there's always the chance that it gets delayed a bit. But we're hoping for this release this week!

mwink.gif
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    But we're hoping for this release this week!
    Are you feeling well Andy? That's two dates named in less than a week! mwink.gifrofl

thumb.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc