D90/D300 comparison Questions

BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited December 21, 2009 in Cameras
Hello everyone,

Let me preface this post by saying that I have searched/read/viewed all the d90 vs d300 posts/vids available and have only been slightly satisfied with the results.

I am currently a D60 user and have been holding off on purchasing a new body until I met the limits of my D60.

Though it is a great camera with excelent image quality, there are a few things lacking.

-3 focus pts
-High ISO noise
-Small body for big hands
-No Bracketing
-Cant wirelessly control my speedlight(s)
etc etc

My father has a D90 which I have used on occasion and truly enjoyed.

Herein lies my delema.

I am an aspiring amatuer with a true love for photography and want to make sure all of my purchases are sound. I am focusing my work on shooting events (parties, etc.) and portraits such as engagement/holiday. I am also comfortable with adjusting my own settings and mainly live in AP on the D60 unless I am using an on camera flash, then I go full manual.

Sport shooting would only be a weekend warrior type of thing and would not be at the forefront of my interest.

All that being said, I feel the D90 is the best bet for me. I just dont want to find out after purchasing it that there are things the D300 would have offered me that I cant live without. (build quality, better WB control, more focus points, etc.) Obviously in this economy the $ is very important as well. Though keep in mind, if the D300 is the better choice for me, I would not hesitate because of the money. (I would just wait another few mths!:):

Any thoughts are welcomed and thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Get a gently used D300. With the D300s out, I've seen some nice D300 bodies around $1,000.

Better build quality, better WB, more focus points, etc...

Just a better and more professional camera.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I agree with the Rockwell reviews, that the D300 is actually worse than the D90, but the D300s is really nice.... For the price, I'd get the D90 over the D300.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    the d90 and D300 share the same sensor and so have very close ISO capabablity. The d300 though has a more robust and and true AF system. For any kind of sports the the d300 would be much more suited. For other apllication the D90 would be comparable.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    If you buy the D90, you may wish that you had bought the D300.

Ask yourself if you would wish that you had bought the D90 if you buy the D300?

That should answer your question.
    Steve

Website
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I just bought a D300 today from someone on Fred Miranda, and the reason why I got a D300 over any other camera is because it suits my needs right now.

It has pretty low noise at high ISO's. 6-8 FPS although not a necessity for me right now, may come in handy when I shoot the random sports event like you might do. It uses the same battery grip as the D700. It is Magnesium Alloy (will never purchase another plastic camera again, just feels fake to me). Bigger body, I have big hands so I need that in a camera. I don't need video, which is why I opted out of the D300s and the D90. If I did need video, I would invest in an HD video camera. And I got a pristine condition used for $1100... can't beat that.. well, you could but its a pretty good deal.

My plan, since I'm in school I haven't been taking many pictures lately, is have the D300 for now - then save up and get the D700 later and keep the D300 as a backup.

Jeremy
    Jer
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    You already know the D90 and are not limited on time..
    Rent a D300 and compare the two yourself.
    I have a D90, it fits my needs, If I could swing it I would of had a D300.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009

If that's the deciding factor, we all would have a D3, right? Probably have to have a D3x and a D3s, because I can envision some times when the extra MP would come in handy, and other times when the higher frame rate and ISO performance would be desired. And while that would be nice, it's gonna be a few decades before that's feasible for me. rolleyes1.gif

I do have a D90 and yes, I sometimes wish I had a D300/s. But that doesn't mean the D90 isn't a "better" camera for me. It still has way more capability than I have skills. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to make the jump to D300s or its replacement, I will have come closer to the performance threshold of the D90. Or maybe I'll just decide that the better body and handling is too good to pass up. At that point, a D300 with a D90 backup seems like a nice setup for me. But for now, the extra $1000 between a D90 and D300s would go an awfully long way to some nice glass that I'd be able to use on future bodies as well.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009

I shoot action/sports type for a high school band with a D90. I do not find the camera to be limiting in any factor, just wishing I had better glass. the camera has no problem finding and tracking the subjects at all. Very happy with the D90 purchase, it allowed me to get the 70-300VR lens which is almost good enough for everything except at night with the smaller maximum aperture. According to the reviews on the web (including Rockwell's) the D90 outperforms the D300 in low-light settings. I bought the D90 and the 70-300VR and Capture NX2 for the price of a new D300 and if I need to adjust the white balance I do it in software later by getting one image correct, and then process the shoot as a batch to correct. FWIW...
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Well you could go to a store with a D300s and, see how you like it in your hands as well. Trust me it is alot heftier. Other people have gone over it other attributes. The 51 point focusing system is nice when you need it and, the 51 point 3D tracking works pretty good when the subject is well defined. You can go to dpreview and, compare them side by side. I like that part of the site where you can compare cameras to each other.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Sil3ntp8nd8Sil3ntp8nd8 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    ..... and if I need to adjust the white balance I do it in software later by getting one image correct, and then process the shoot as a batch to correct. FWIW...

You should be setting your WB before you shoot and not let the camera decide for itself, though it can do that very well too. lol
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Wireless lighting
    FYI, I have a D70 and a D300. Both will control speedlights wirelessly. . . indoors, or in subdued lighting environments. If you are trying to control speedlights wirelessly outdoors in sunny environments, I find you really need to be using an SB-800/900. The built in speedlight just won't cut it. You need more power, wider spread, and the ability to aim your master light.

So if wireless ability is the most important thing to you, consider getting a proper master, SB800/900 or possibly a sigma flash gun (not sure if they will work with nikon but they might) right away, and don't upgrade to a D300/D90 because their popup flash is advertised as a commander flash. You may be dissappointed in a lot of situations.

+1 on the robustness on the D300. I'm assuming the D90 is similar in build quality to the D70 (same class of camera I beleive at least) but let me tell you, the D300 can take quite an impact while the D70 didn't quite do as well. I crashed a scooter with the D300 clamped onto it. A metal lens is badly dented and sustained some real damage, yet the D300 still going strong. The D70 merely fell from a height of 4 feet and it needed major repairs.

D300 also has pretty good weather sealing, though I use the D70 in similar rainy situations, and both work well. Of course, to take fulll advantage of the weather sealing, you need pro grade lenses with the extra rubber seals around the body coupling.
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your responses!

I am waiting for my Local Shop to get a 300s in stock (they sell pretty quick apparently.) That way I can at least get a feel for it.

Ill keep you all posted on what transpires in the coming weeks/month!

Thanks again!wings.gif
    edited November 20, 2009
    If that's the deciding factor, we all would have a D3, right?
    I do have a D90 and yes, I sometimes wish I had a D300/s. But that doesn't mean the D90 isn't a "better" camera for me.

I was not knocking the D90, but my point is that sometimes we regret our decisions based on the decision itself rather than the results. If someone purchases 1 camera while always wondering if they made the right decision, they may end up regretting the choice based on that feeling.

Belief is a powerful motivator.
    Steve

Website
    edited November 20, 2009
    I was not knocking the D90, but my point is that sometimes we regret our decisions based on the decision itself rather than the results. If someone purchases 1 camera while always wondering if they made the right decision, they may end up regretting the choice based on that feeling.

Belief is a powerful motivator.

Happened to me... I originally wanted to go with Nikon, but the saleslady convinced me to get a Canon XSI... then I got a bunch of lenses, a new body, and accesories for Canon so I just went with it. But, I haven't been doing alot of shooting lately so I'm making the switch to the "Dark Side".

So yes, I somewhat regret getting canon... But, moreover I regret getting the XSI instead of the 50D that I got as I progressed more down the road.
    Jer
    edited November 20, 2009
    I was not knocking the D90...

I didn't think you were, and I am very happy with my D90. My point was simply that there is always something "better" out there that we may wish we had, and that shouldn't really be the deciding factor in making a purchase. If one bought a D300, they may wish for a D700, etc. In my case, I have total D300/s lust, but I know that I have no real justification for it, given the cost difference. Maybe I'll get to the point where I can really use one, but right now the D90 is still way more camera than I need. It certainly isn't limiting me one bit. That said, I'll probably get a D300/s at some point. mwink.gif
    My site 365 Project
    edited November 20, 2009
    I have total D300/s lust

I'll swap lust with you... I am currently lusting after the new Mamiya DM56, my DL28 is looking like the red headed step child after seeing this monster.
    Steve

Website
    edited November 20, 2009
    I'll swap lust with you... I am currently lusting after the new Mamiya DM56, my DL28 is looking like the red headed step child after seeing this monster.

See how much I have to learn... I don't have any idea what either of those are! rolleyes1.gif
    My site 365 Project
  • JAMooreJAMoore Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Ken Rockwell's conclusion that the D90 is better is very short-sighted. If you are just looking for better ISO performance, the D90 is a fine choice. If you are thinking that you will be shooting sports (motion) where fps and autofocus are critical, the D300 is the one you need hands down.

You should read through the full D300s review on dpreview. It's long and juicy and I'm sure you'll learn something more than we've mentioned here.

One nice blip about the AF system...
    The only other APS-C camera on the market with an autofocus system as sophisticated as the D300S is arguably Canon's EOS 7D. Although the competing models from Olympus, Pentax and Sony come close to matching the Canon's 19 cross-type AF points (if not quite the Nikon's 51 points, of which 15 are cross-type), none comes close to offering its level of sophistication of AF-point selection. And, while the Nikon offers fewer methods to ensure the correct focus point is being used, it is capable of tracking objects across different focus points by both distance and color which again is unmatched by the competition.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009

So yes, I somewhat regret getting canon... But, moreover I regret getting the XSI instead of the 50D that I got as I progressed more down the road.

actually the Canon XSI is a pretty good value for less than $500, makes you wonder why people pay thousands of dollars more for a Nikon D300, D90, etc.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    If one bought a D300, they may wish for a D700, etc. . mwink.gif

You know, I think that with these DSLRs, you should really think of them as not the endall, or even stepping stones to better ones in the future, but more as how every lens and camera body complements each other.

Say you've got a D300, and then want a D700. I'd say, keep the D300, and then start saving. In 3-4 years time, you've got a perfectly good camera with a few miles on it. Then you get whatever the D700 is called in 4 years (D700s, D800, etc) and pair your 300 with a telephoto lens, and pair the 700 with something like a 24-70 lens. Then you've got a wider wide angle lens, and a zoomier telephoto, using each sensor where they shine.

I'd like a 700, sure, but I'm not in any hurry to get it. I just figure that it will fit in well when used WITH a D300, rather than instead of. So I just save a bit here and there and know that I'll just end up with another superb camera one day.mwink.gif
    edited November 20, 2009
    Brett1000 wrote:
    actually the Canon XSI is a pretty good value for less than $500, makes you wonder why people pay thousands of dollars more for a Nikon D300, D90, etc.
    well, at the time it was actually $700... and I got it with a kit, and was talked into a 4 year warranty, and by the time I left I had a $1200 bill ne_nau.gif

By me getting talked into it, I mean my mom or "The Money". No longer does she have control over my money, so now I buy gear on my own mwink.gif
    You know, I think that with these DSLRs, you should really think of them as not the endall, or even stepping stones to better ones in the future, but more as how every lens and camera body complements each other.

Say you've got a D300, and then want a D700. I'd say, keep the D300, and then start saving. In 3-4 years time, you've got a perfectly good camera with a few miles on it. Then you get whatever the D700 is called in 4 years (D700s, D800, etc) and pair your 300 with a telephoto lens, and pair the 700 with something like a 24-70 lens. Then you've got a wider wide angle lens, and a zoomier telephoto, using each sensor where they shine.

I'd like a 700, sure, but I'm not in any hurry to get it. I just figure that it will fit in well when used WITH a D300, rather than instead of. So I just save a bit here and there and know that I'll just end up with another superb camera one day.mwink.gif
    I'm on this path as well. I figure right now a D300 will suit me, and in 6 months to a year the D700, D700s, D800 will be there to compliment the crop sensor body :D
    Jer
  • JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    Get a D300s and you'll thank yourself. thumb.gif

- Superior build with weather sealing
    - More buttons with better layout on body for quick on the fly adjustments
    - Better faster AF (51pt, 51pt-3D, etc)
    - Top LCD with larger display area with more shooting info
    - CF card + SD storage
    - Can load extra Picture controls (Landscape, Portrait, D2X mode 1, 2, and 3). Not Scene modes, but picture modes aka color modes.
    - Faster screw focus motor for AF-D lenses
    - Lossless 14bit NEF raw, etc.
    - AF Fine Tune for lenses
    - 7 frames per second continuous at full resolution
    - Shutter rated to 150,000 actuations
    - 100% viewfinder

Those are a few reasons to get the D300s over a D90. :D
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
    edited December 13, 2009
    Letting everyone know. Just ordered the D90 tonight! I am absolutely thrilled and cannot wait to get it! Expect the first pics thursday night when big brown shows up!
    edited December 13, 2009
    You should be setting your WB before you shoot and not let the camera decide for itself, though it can do that very well too. lol

understood, but there are times that set white balance isn't good enough. You're inside a party room with set white balance, all is good, people go outside into the lobby quickly and you go to grab a photo and you're white balance is completely off and won't adjust itself and you don't have time to fix it or don't want to for a quick shot.

Another scenario, you spend your time setting the camera for the reception room, but the cocktail hour room has completely different lighting. Instead of wasting the settings, you shoot the cocktail hour in the different white balance and then change memory card going into the reception.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 13, 2009
    understood, but there are times that set white balance isn't good enough. You're inside a party room with set white balance, all is good, people go outside into the lobby quickly and you go to grab a photo and you're white balance is completely off and won't adjust itself and you don't have time to fix it or don't want to for a quick shot.

Another scenario, you spend your time setting the camera for the reception room, but the cocktail hour room has completely different lighting. Instead of wasting the settings, you shoot the cocktail hour in the different white balance and then change memory card going into the reception.

If you shoot and record in RAW, you will be able to set WB in post-processing. I do suggest the addition of a white target in a test shot to allow an easier time getting close to proper white balance using the WB picker in most RAW image processors.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 15, 2009
    Bsimon wrote:
    Letting everyone know. Just ordered the D90 tonight! I am absolutely thrilled and cannot wait to get it! Expect the first pics thursday night when big brown shows up!

Good luck! I am anxiously awaiting those pics

-- Abraham Lincoln
    edited December 15, 2009
    Thanks man! That makes two of us! The purchase was just in time as today I was asked to be the sole photographer for a step and repeat session at a gala for a local Arts/Theater promoter!!wings.gif
    edited December 20, 2009
    I think I may have answered this question for myself. I was in the mall the other day, stopped in to Ritz and asked if I could "fondle" a D300s. It's just a different animal altogether than the D90, and that's coming from someone who loves his D90! Specification differences aside, the ONE thing that I've not been happy with about my D90 is that the location of the shutter release is a little uncomfortable for me. When I'm shooting handheld for any length of time, my trigger finger will get fatigued because I feel like I have to stretch it unnaturally to find the button. The D300s is a totally different story. The larger body fits my hand a ton better (I'm 6'5" and have larger than average hands). So ergonomically it's a win. The rest of the buttons are a little different than I'm used to, but that's no big deal, it would just take a little adjustment period, and I'm sure I'd be fine. The AF seems way better, the 51 pts rock, and hearing the shutter almost made me weak in the knees. And this is just from 10 minutes of fiddling with it in the store, with just some random Quantaray 18-200 lens mounted!

I'll be finishing my masters in about five months, and I'm kind of contemplating getting myself a "gift" when I'm done. I've been wondering, do I get a D300s and use it with my current lens collection (I have nothing spectacular, and it would be shared with the wife and the D90), or do I get another D90 and put the difference in cost towards some nicer glass than I have. Performance-wise, I'd have no problem having two D90 bodies in the house, my wife and I would each have our own, and there'd be no learning curve or adjustment if I was doing a 2-body shoot. A D90 and a Sigma 70-200 2.8 (I know it's no Nikkor, but I've heard great things about it) would be just about the same price as a D300s body. But after playing around with the D300s, I think I have to have one. :D

A couple of things I was a little surprised with, though. The D300s seemed quite a bit lighter than I thought it would be, and I also felt that the body would feel different than the D90, since the D90 is plastic and the D300s is magnesium alloy. But it felt remarkably similar. Anyway... as much as I love the D90, and would continue to be happy with it as a 2nd body, shooting with the D300s just for a few minutes has spoiled me, I think. We'll just have to see how things look in a few months...
    My site 365 Project
    edited December 20, 2009
    cab.in.boston I say go with the D300s... I love my D300, and what you experienced in 10 minutes only gets better once you really get used to it!
    Jer
  • Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    People! Please stop making me want a D300s!
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography