Options

LR Plugin "Wrong Format" on update/replacing an image

timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
edited December 18, 2009 in Bug Reporting
I'm updating a large number of images, and I'm consistently getting "Wrong format" when trying to replace images using Jeffrey's LR uploading plugin. I sent him some logfiles with the information, and he told me this is a SM problem.

I've checked my upload log, and it doesn't register any complaints.

Right now this problem has stopped me cold as I haven't been able to update / replace any images since yesterday. I've got some log files from the plugin that I can send in if it'll help.
  • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc

Comments

• Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Anyone?
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Anyone?
    You posted a couple hours ago. I have made sure our experts on this have seen it. We are having discussions with Jeffrey Friedl on this also. It may take some time.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Ok, just wanted to know it was in the works somewhere.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    I also have a repeatable test case - one gallery I've been trying to update has returned this error message since last night.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    I presume you know that, in the meantime while waiting for a LR uploader fix, you can still upload things the old fashioned way. Export from Lightroom to JPEG, then use use Smugmug's replace photo functionality.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 20, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    I also have a repeatable test case - one gallery I've been trying to update has returned this error message since last night.

Tim,

Is this case repeatable on a specific image ? If so, please send the original image and an export version of the image to david at smugmug.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    Not a specific image - I haven't been able to do any update/replacements from LR for two days now, so I've been working on other things in the meantime.

In this gallery every image I've tried to update results in a 'wrong format' error being returned.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I presume you know that, in the meantime while waiting for a LR uploader fix, you can still upload things the old fashioned way. Export from Lightroom to JPEG, then use use Smugmug's replace photo functionality.
    Yes, although it's a pain to go that way.

I've done all my work over the past year from LR, and the plugin's worked a treat the entire time.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2009
    Update
    I'm uploading a bunch of "updated" images to a gallery from LR now, but after uploading / updating 15 images, it error'd out.

An attempt to upload "all' images to the same gallery resulted in a wrong format error.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    "wrong format" bites the web-uploader
    I'm trying exporting from LR to a directory and then using the web-based uploader to update/replace images in this gallery. So far I've gotten 'read time-out's, and a number of "wrong-format" errors using the uploader.

So the "wrong format" problem isn't confined to just the LR plugin.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    I'm trying exporting from LR to a directory and then using the web-based uploader to update/replace images in this gallery. So far I've gotten 'read time-out's, and a number of "wrong-format" errors using the uploader.

So the "wrong format" problem isn't confined to just the LR plugin.
    we're zeroing in on this issue, thanks for your patience!
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    we're zeroing in on this issue, thanks for your patience!
    Have you found the cause yet?
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    I hope you find and fix it soon because I'm flippin' dead in the water. I'm getting so many read time out and wrong format errors I can't update anything in these galleries.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    I hope you find and fix it soon because I'm flippin' dead in the water. I'm getting so many read time out and wrong format errors I can't update anything in these galleries.

This is fixed internally, but due to the thanksgiving holiday, it most likely won't go live until next week.

fwiw, the issue only occurs when you are replacing an image with an identical copy of that is already on SmugMug.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    This is fixed internally, but due to the thanksgiving holiday, it most likely won't go live until next week.
    Seriously!?!? You're kidding me. What the heck are SM users that are running into this problem supposed to do in the meantime? Why can't this rather serious bug be patched before then?
    devbobo wrote:
    fwiw, the issue only occurs when you are replacing an image with an identical copy of that is already on SmugMug.
    Ummm... when I'm replacing an image, it's because it's not identical to what's on SM's servers. At least, that's what the LR plugin 'update' is supposed to do.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Seriously!?!? You're kidding me. What the heck are SM users that are running into this problem supposed to do in the meantime? Why can't this rather serious bug be patched before then?

Ummm... when I'm replacing an image, it's because it's not identical to what's on SM's servers. At least, that's what the LR plugin 'update' is supposed to do.

what specifically is different ? has the image changed or is it just metadata related to the image...caption, keywords, etc ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    what specifically is different ? has the image changed or is it just metadata related to the image...caption, keywords, etc ?
    Most of the images need to be brightened up, white-balance adjusted, re-cropped, etc. I haven't been doing any metadata updates.

Most of them were originally posted un-processed, and now that I've got time I'm going back and fixing them.

What I need is for LR plugin's "update" functionality to work again, as that pretty well covers what I need to do.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    Tim,

I did the following test...

1. Downloaded this photo
    2. Imported into Lightroom
    3. Uploaded it to SmugMug, upload was successful
    4. Applied the Aged Photo fliter
    5. Uploaded it to SmugMug, replace was successful
    6. Reset the settings
    7. Uploaded it to SmugMug, replace was successful
    8. Applied the Aged Photo fliter
    9. Uploaded it to SmugMug, replace was successful
    10. Reset the settings
    11. Uploaded it to SmugMug, replace was successful
    12. Set White Balance from 'As Shot' to 'Auto'
    13. Uploaded it to SmugMug, replace was successful
    14. Applied 'Auto Tone'
    15. Uploaded it to SmugMug, replace was successful
    16. Reset the settings
    17. Uploaded it to SmugMug, replace was successful

The only time I received a 'wrong format' error was if I uploaded to SmugMug a second time without modifying the image at all.

If you can show me a reproducible scenario where it doesn't work like this, I'm happy to explore further.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    If that's the only time that 'wrong format' shows up, then that means the LR plugin's uploading unchanged pics when it's supposed to be sending only updated pics.

Could you drop the plugin developer a note with that information?

I'll use the web uploader and hope for the best then.

One last question - are the 'read timeouts' an issue to worry about?
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2009
    Ok, I used the plugin to try and upload some pics I'd "updated", and I still get the wrong-format error. I don't know what's the issue there, but there's not much I can do about that.

Second - the web based updater appears to be doing what it's supposed to as the updated images are looking better than the prior version. However, I'm getting a significant number of 'read timeout' errors back. If the pic gets where it's supposed to be, I suppose I can ignore it, but I shouldn't have to.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    still not fixed!
    I can confirm that this is a SM bug and it's still not fixed.

I am trying to replace photo's (only the IPTC data has changed) and I get the "wrong format". I tried it with the "Upload to SmugMug" app AND with the java app on SM itself. Both fail with the same error.

As I understand it from the posts from support, it should work when something actually changes in the image itself. I didn't test that yet, but that doesn't really help because I only want to update the captions and keywords using IPTC.

Also, during testing with the java applet, after changing it's setting to skipping and allowing, the behavior changes and it gets skipped no matter if you choose "replace".

Can this please be fixed?

thanks,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    and another, related bug
    So, I sharpened the image a tad and tried again: replace succeeds. The caption is replaced but the keywords are merged with the old ones instead of replaced.

help!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    RobertkRobertk Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I just joined and I have the same problem. Any help would be nice.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    I've been updating a whole pile of imagery and galleries, and I'm getting persistent "wrong format" errors uploading to this gallery.

I've gotten the odd 'wrong format' error a few other times before, but not enough times to render a repeatable test.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    G'day Guys,

Sorry the delay with this issue...it actually took some time to reproduce internally and track down.

It's fixed internally and will be rolled live with our next push.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    G'day Guys,

Sorry the delay with this issue...it actually took some time to reproduce internally and track down.

It's fixed internally and will be rolled live with our next push.

Cheers,

David
    Can you comment on what's causing this so I can keep an eye out? I'm only 1/2 way through my update process so I can help test and make sure whatever the problem is has been well and truly squashed.

On another note - if you're investigating something, it'd be helpful for you to drop a note in the thread so we know this is getting attention. Thx!
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Can you comment on what's causing this so I can keep an eye out? I'm only 1/2 way through my update process so I can help test and make sure whatever the problem is has been well and truly squashed.

On another note - if you're investigating something, it'd be helpful for you to drop a note in the thread so we know this is getting attention. Thx!

sure, the issue occurs when you are replacing an image and only the metadata is different but the image size is identical.

To reproduce...
    1. Export an image into the folder on your computer
    2. Export the same image again using a unique filename so that the original doesn't get overwritten.
    3. The two files are identical except for metadata eg. the DateTime exif is different.
    4. Upload one image to SmugMug
    5. Replace with the other image
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    this issue should be resolved now.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    RobertkRobertk Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    this issue should be resolved now.

Cheers,

David

Does this include the issue I was having with new photos?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    Robertk wrote:
    Does this include the issue I was having with new photos?

Hey Robert,

You will need to explain a bit more, your post above only mentions that you were having the same issue.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos