Options

*Entry Thread* Mini-Challenge #86: "Preparations"

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Neil, it does not necessarily need to be a holiday, per se:
    Whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas, Ramadan, Passover, Festivus, or any gather of family and friends, the celebration doesn't happen without preparation. Send in your images that capture the care, the emotion, or the frenzy of preparing for our celebrations. Whether it is getting the table just so, or nearly killing someone for a "Tickle Me Elmo", show us what goes into making the celbration happen.

Aside from my typo (which I will fix shortly), it is any gathering of family and friends. The key, is showing preparation....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Neil, it does not necessarily need to be a holiday, per se:
    Whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas, Ramadan, Passover, Festivus, or any gather of family and friends, the celebration doesn't happen without preparation. Send in your images that capture the care, the emotion, or the frenzy of preparing for our celebrations. Whether it is getting the table just so, or nearly killing someone for a "Tickle Me Elmo", show us what goes into making the celbration happen.

Aside from my typo (which I will fix shortly), it is any gathering of family and friends. The key, is showing preparation....

Thanks for the clarification and encouragement, Andrew. I'll see what I can do!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    MooreDriven,
    That is a wonderful family tradition for the holidays! Took me back to when I used to them a loooong time ago and thinking it would be nice to introduce the kids to "puzzle time" now.

Love the tradition and that you captured it on film.
    Great entries.

Thank you. My grandmother has always loved to put together puzzles. My mother has now picked up this tradition. (Both are in the photo). I wanted to pick something different than food preparation, thus the puzzle shots. It's a great way to visit with family or friends while creating something everyone can remember. Especially if you glue them and put into a frame.
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Holiday preparations always include Black Friday!

Waiting to check out:

2009-Black-091127_112214-P1000908.jpg

Is the end in sight??

2009-Black-091127_112249-P1000911.jpg

Where's my car???

2009-Black-091127_105849-P1000889.jpg
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Neal,
    I saw these over on PJ as you know and I'm very glad you decided to add them to this challenge.

The series is a somber look at the pre-holiday shopping season. I feel a little stressed looking at them--..
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Thank you Liz.

Luckily the line was moving quickly! (and I'm glad I didn't get up at 3 AM!!!)
  • Options
    BkodgerBkodger Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    1. Painting the pumpkin:

702684044_CwiVT-XL.jpg

2. Daddy's little helper:

300495180_Tj8ff-L.jpg
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
    www.PhotoExpectations.com
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    Fad2blk wrote:
    1. Painting the pumpkin:

#1 is a beauty! (Australian for really good:D). Just makes me smile inside and out! And so spot on the theme!

Neil

• Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    #1 is a beauty! (Australian for really good:D). Just makes me smile inside and out! And so spot on the theme!

Neil

I appreciate that very much. He does his fair share of making me smile too 1.gif
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    NeilL wrote:

Neil

Fad2blk
    I'm in full agreement with Neilclap.gif #1 is very theme worthy and also just feel-good, how can one not smile looking at it. Wish I still got THAT excited when painting/carving a pumpkin'.

Now I'm a sucker for processed photos, and I love the PP work you did in #3, just stunning--but I don't know about theme worthy.

Thanks for the entries.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    Fad2blk
    I'm in full agreement with Neilclap.gif #1 is very theme worthy and also just feel-good, how can one not smile looking at it. Wish I still got THAT excited when painting/carving a pumpkin'.

Now I'm a sucker for processed photos, and I love the PP work you did in #3, just stunning--but I don't know about theme worthy.

Thanks for the entries.

Thank you 1.gif I wasn't sure on the 3rd one, but figured I'd throw it in there. a lot of preparation for the show - haha.
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    If you had a bunch of family or friends getting it ready, it might be clearer. The theme though is preparation for a family gathering or event, so the car is already prepared (or awaiting preparation), so I think this is lying outside of the competition. There are some folks on OCS that would love your shot, though....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    Well I'm glad some like the first one...I can remove the 3rd one if needed since it is not what is asked for. Maybe I can find another one to use.
    Nikon D610
    70-200 f.28, 24-85
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    Fad2blk wrote:
    Well I'm glad some like the first one...I can remove the 3rd one if needed since it is not what is asked for. Maybe I can find another one to use.

Fad2blk--you can replace the third one when you get another shot to take its place--like I said the shot is great--just when you get another one more appropriate for the theme, exchange them.

Thank you much Fad2blk.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    redcargurlredcargurl Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Preparations
    Preparations for an everyday dinner; rarely is everyone in the family at home at once for dinner together!

#1 fixing
    713399006_BuQH5-M.jpg

#2 ready to cook
    713414252_4dg4K-M.jpg

#3 ready to eat
    713395428_dTwfN-M.jpg
    Here's where my photos are: http://erink.smugmug.com/
    I'd love to hear from other Seattle area photographers.
    Opinion & Critique always welcome. Thanks for visiting! ~Erin K.

Gear: Pentax K10D, Lenses: Pentax 18-28mm zoom, Tamron 75-300mm zoom, Soon to arrive Tamron 28-75 zoom. Also various other toys and accouterments. you understand.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    Redcargurl,
    I'm glad you posted these and that you pointed out this was an everyday dinner--these can be special too, especially if they are few and far between.
    Life's so busy sometimes that we can't make time for everyday dinners.

My two kids are still small so we are still able to pull it off, but I know once they hit their teens it will be every man for himself. Kinda looking forward to itrolleyes1.gif .

Thank you for adding these to the thread.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    Red
    My two kids are still small so we are still able to pull it off, but I know once they hit their teens it will be every man for himself. Kinda looking forward to itrolleyes1.gif .

Thank you for adding these to the thread.

Don't wish the teen years any sooner than they will come....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    redcargurlredcargurl Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Don't wish the teen years any sooner than they will come....

I have boys... we're lucky we have food at all sometimes...
    and thanks! I thought I'd add the photos, but I don't think there that good. I don't like the lighting.
    Here's where my photos are: http://erink.smugmug.com/
    I'd love to hear from other Seattle area photographers.
    Opinion & Critique always welcome. Thanks for visiting! ~Erin K.

Gear: Pentax K10D, Lenses: Pentax 18-28mm zoom, Tamron 75-300mm zoom, Soon to arrive Tamron 28-75 zoom. Also various other toys and accouterments. you understand.
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Here's a Thanksgiving snapshot taken and uploaded from my iPhone with the smugshot app!

730748542_7jfC9-L.jpg
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    Benjer,
    Nicely done, especially for a cell phone shot--I like the grainy effect the cell phone lends to the shot.

I also really like the composition in this--reminds me a little of some of the E-sessions on the wedding forum.

I'm also seriously jealous of that kitchen.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Thanks Liz! I've been having fun with the new camera phone and cool apps available for it. It was nice to be able to spend time with the folks for Thanksgiving.

We have lots to be thankful for, not the least of which is mom and dad's new home and kitchen (after a tornado destroyed their previous house) and the miracle that my mom survived the direct hit with nothing but a few bumps and scrapes.

Here's a shot of the old kitchen after the twister. Ironically, mom was baking bread just before it hit - preparing the dough and then switching gears to her last-second emergency preparations by wrapping herself in a quilt and jumping into the coat closet before the storm blew the house away!

The bread was still warm in the oven
    730808443_jhzWb-L.jpg
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Thanks Liz! I've been having fun with the new camera phone and cool apps available for it. It was nice to be able to spend time with the folks for Thanksgiving.

We have lots to be thankful for, not the least of which is mom and dad's new home and kitchen (after a tornado destroyed their previous house) and the miracle that my mom survived the direct hit with nothing but a few bumps and scrapes.

Here's a shot of the old kitchen after the twister. Ironically, mom was baking bread just before it hit - preparing the dough and then switching gears to her last-second emergency preparations by wrapping herself in a quilt and jumping into the coat closet before the storm blew the house away!

Man, that is a crazy story. Glad to hear your mom is ok.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    Benjer wrote:

730808443_jhzWb-L.jpg

Holy Smokes!
    That new kitchen is well deserved!
    If that's what has to happen for me to get a new kitchen, than I'm happy with mine.

Thanks for adding this to the post--makes one appreciate the original shot all the more.

Glad your mom made it out safely--I for some reason also appreciate that her bread was still warm.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Every year Muslims around the world celebrate Eid-ul-Azha by performing ritual performed by God's beloved Prophet Abraham Peace be upon him, by sacrificing a goat. Meat is distributed among neighbors, poor and part of it kept for self consumption, all relatives joing together for dinner and BBQ. And oh yeah this is self portrait with our goat while on our way back to home from market.

730869758_DMybw-L.jpg
    Shot with cell phone
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    Every year Muslims around the world celebrate Eid-ul-Azha by performing ritual performed by God's beloved Prophet Abraham Peace be upon him, by sacrificing a goat. Meat is distributed among neighbors, poor and part of it kept for self consumption, all relatives joing together for dinner and BBQ. And oh yeah this is self portrait with our goat while on our way back to home from market.Shot with cell phone

Awais, I love it, it has so much charisma!:D I'm glad that you've contributed something from the Eid al Adh (as they say here).

Hope all is well with you!

Neil

• Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    Awais,
    A self-portrait to end all self-portraits.

There is so much to this shot that I like, not the least of which is the goat and the look on its face plus the ornaments he/she is wearing.

You have added a different touch to this thread and educated me a little as well.

Thanks for adding your shot to this thread.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    @ Benjer
    Holy sokatash, as I think I can remember a cartoon character from my boyhood exclaiming in an American accent, that is about as complete as destruction can get! Amazing to see how the twister is so clean and precise cutting it's way through. What an amazing experience for your mom. I have been through 3 hurricanes (cyclones we call them in Australia), I know the kind of power. The comfort zone of the warm kitchen with the smell of cooking food of your first pic is all the more precious. As they say, count your blessings!

Neil

• Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    Benjer, amazing story and glad everyone was able to be together for the holiday. In the destruction picture, the mixer left standing is incredible.

Awais, great SP!! Thanks for posting.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    MichaelBrianStudiosMichaelBrianStudios Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2009
    It's been a while since I've been able to participate in one of these challenges so here it goes. Over the past few years, my family has put together puzzles during the holidays. My mother will frame them and put them around her house for the holidays.

My family has the same tradition!
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2009
    My family has the same tradition!

Welcome go dgrin and the challenges.

Now where is your photo to prove it?:D
    Liz A.
    _________