Options

Post Your Turkeys Here

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    For some reason I cannot get this photo to post here.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/119783708

Maybe I've had too much leftover turkey today!!

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com

Interesting commentary on our times - how does a lap-top end up on a Thanksgiving table?
    It's a great shot, I really like it, but it looks more like a group of people in a back room watching election returns, rather than T-Day.
    But, I s'pose this is what we've come to...
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Interesting commentary on our times - how does a lap-top end up on a Thanksgiving table?
    It's a great shot, I really like it, but it looks more like a group of people in a back room watching election returns, rather than T-Day.
    But, I s'pose this is what we've come to...

We were looking at old family photos that I had scanned into the computer. I made small prints, too, but everybody preferred looking at the slide show on the computer.

Tina
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Very nice series, BD. I can feel the life in these pictures - conversations, laughter, food, lovely table, minor annoyance at the photographer, satiation, togetherness. Everything we think of as being the best of Thanksgiving.

Color serves this series well. The table is so lovely and, while it would look beautiful in black and white, some of the elegant feel would be lost.

Virginia

Thank you, Virginia - I really like the color - and the light - A holiday or two back I discovered that placing a remote flash on the top of the cabinet in the left of the frame turned the curtains and ceiling into a sort of magic light box - giving me highlights galore and great fill light.

As to the annoyed couple - my oldest son and JUST PREGNANT!!! daughter-in-law (news was shared over Thanksgiving!! ) - they do look annoyed, but it does capture them.:-)

As to your three - I like all three, but #3 is a classic - terrific. NOW, just get rid of those bleeping watermarks! :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    For some reason I cannot get this photo to post here.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/119783708

Maybe I've had too much leftover turkey today!!

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com

Wonderful image, Tina! It really captures family - but the tone? The tone? Tina! That is not rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif you!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Wonderful image, Tina! It really captures family - but the tone? The tone? Tina! That is not rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif you!

Thanks, BD - I'm in Alabama working on a tiny netbook without any of my usual conversion programs. I'll do a better job on it when I get back home! bowdown.gif

Tina
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    I iloveyou.gif this thread.

There's not a single picture here that doesn't capture a much more *personal* aspect of the holiday than one generally sees - from the bored teenagers to the old folks reliving memories, the lonely dinner, the "don't you DARE take another picture" look (that we have ALL no doubt seen!!) and every shade of "family" in between, these are all little vignettes of life instead of Hallmark Card "what we wish we were" holidays.

Love.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Thank you, Virginia - I really like the color - and the light - A holiday or two back I discovered that placing a remote flash on the top of the cabinet in the left of the frame turned the curtains and ceiling into a sort of magic light box - giving me highlights galore and great fill light.

As to the annoyed couple - my oldest son and JUST PREGNANT!!! daughter-in-law (news was shared over Thanksgiving!! ) - they do look annoyed, but it does capture them.:-)

As to your three - I like all three, but #3 is a classic - terrific. NOW, just get rid of those bleeping watermarks! :-)

Congratulations, BD! Is this your first? I don't remember your mentioning other grandchildren.

Just became a grandmother two months ago - it's quite a lot of fun, aside from the glaring reminder that I am now old (but still surfing!), an ancestor, even. :D

Besides which, it's a whole new person in the family to photograph.clap.gif
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Congrats to both of you, BD and Sara!!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    We were looking at old family photos that I had scanned into the computer. I made small prints, too, but everybody preferred looking at the slide show on the computer.

Tina

I love the shot but your explanation was different than what I imagined! :) I thought the family was gathered to do a long-distance telecommunication via the internet. I envisioned family on the screen from far away...either way, it works for me as an "high tech" vs traditional Thanksgiving shot! (We love to look at old photos every holiday, too!).
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Congrats to both of you, BD and Sara!!!

Thanks Andrew, et all! This will be my first - that I know of! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    Catching up...

My daughter & I were able to spend Thanksgiving this year with my side of the family in Halifax. Jen had a great time catching up with her cousins during our feast, including sharing fashion tips.

726182704_6b69Q-L.jpg

726170234_T7wjw-L.jpg

Mum playing kitchen table quarterback. It's tough giving up the reins

726219697_oo7d5-L.jpg
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    Travis, did she have money riding on the game? rolleyes1.gifGreat shot of concentration.

B.D. great series of shots. Congrats on pending Grandpahood. When are you due?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2009
    EDIT: I just removed most of my photos. I didn't realize this thread was related to an exercise announced in a previous post, since there was little to no indication of that in this particular thread. Apologies for originally posting multiple images, including a posed one. :)

So, here's a single candid of the cousins prepping their seasonal performance to the family.
    725428766_wsL2j-XL-1.jpg
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Travis, Looks like her team wasn't winning yesterday....
    bdcolen wrote:
    Football game? Works for me, though...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Flyinggina wrote:
    She is off in her world, concentrating. Football? Probably since it is Thanksgiving day, but maybe she is just thinking about giving thanks.

Very nice photograph, Travis.

Virginia
    Patti wrote:
    Travis, did she have money riding on the game? rolleyes1.gifGreat shot of concentration.
    ... Travis--I too wondered if she was wathcing football--the tension and the expression don't shout "I'm watching the Thanksgiving Day parade".
    Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I really appreciate them. Maybe it was football, or giving thanks, or just too much turkey. :D Maybe it was all of the above? Maybe that's why I felt strongly about this particular shot. thumb.gif

This exercise has produced some fantastic shots. I've been over this thread a dozen times and see something new and interesting every time. Well done everyone!
    Travis
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    647707565_2Tk7s-L-5.jpg
    Tom and hen feeding.................:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Wonderful set of photos from everyone! I like how the pictures show the gatherings of people to share memories and good times together.

Congratulations Sara on becoming a grandmother and B. D. on the grandfather-to-be.

Here is my humble contribution. I took almost no photos as I was cooking, then carving the turkey. But this was the first time I did not butcher the turkey and the breasts were actually presentable. So here is my photo of my best carving job ever...

726517146_o9hYX-L.jpg

Hope everyone had a warm and safe holiday!
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Thanksgiving 2009

726738204_LAioq-L-1.jpg

726739095_hruKL-L-1.jpg

726740187_yjdjU-L-1.jpg

Congratulations BD on becoming a grandfather in waiting. If the little one is anything like its parents, you are going to have some challenges photographing him/her!

Glad you are enjoying grandparenthood, Sara. But it doesn't mean you are old!! It means you have to stay young.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I iloveyou.gif this thread.

There's not a single picture here that doesn't capture a much more *personal* aspect of the holiday than one generally sees - from the bored teenagers to the old folks reliving memories, the lonely dinner, the "don't you DARE take another picture" look (that we have ALL no doubt seen!!) and every shade of "family" in between, these are all little vignettes of life instead of Hallmark Card "what we wish we were" holidays.

Love.

Which suggests that this exercise was definitely worthwhile. rolleyes1.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Wonderful set of photos from everyone! I like how the pictures show the gatherings of people to share memories and good times together.

Congratulations Sara on becoming a grandmother and B. D. on the grandfather-to-be.

Here is my humble contribution. I took almost no photos as I was cooking, then carving the turkey. But this was the first time I did not butcher the turkey and the breasts were actually presentable. So here is my photo of my best carving job ever...

Hope everyone had a warm and safe holiday!

Thanks to all for the kind words and wishes, and to each and everyone who participated in this exercise. While some of you tipped over into P&S mode for part of the time, EVERYONE contributed something both interesting and meaningful.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif (But Art - that damn watermark? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )

The hope I had going in was that you would all get beyond the Hallmark cards, and the predictable images, and you all did. And everyone came up with an image, or images, that in some way are appropriate for the simple caption, "Thanksgiving, 2009." Terrific!:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Hope I'm Not Too Late!
    Congrats, BD and Sara! I'm a grandma myself.

We are pretty non-traditional at Thanksgiving, so these may not do it for most people.

The light is really poor in this room.
    727361619_AWDPQ-L.jpg

727361366_ZoC5o-L.jpg

727361731_QhYUz-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Congrats, BD and Sara! I'm a grandma myself.

We are pretty non-traditional at Thanksgiving, so these may not do it for most people.

The light is really poor in this room.
    727361619_AWDPQ-L.jpg

727361366_ZoC5o-L.jpg

727361731_QhYUz-L.jpg

Love #2, blur and all. The hand motion says it all.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    poor cell phone quality but here's mine. unfortunately I didn't get to do a lot of shooting. (seems to be the case a lot lately..) but i did pop out my phone for this one.

727884135_RZb49-M.jpg

hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Melissa, Love it! That is just the sweetest shot... All the food still on the table.

WSS, love the second one. The blurred hand does say it all.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    poor cell phone quality but here's mine. unfortunately I didn't get to do a lot of shooting. (seems to be the case a lot lately..) but i did pop out my phone for this one.

727884135_RZb49-M.jpg

great catch!
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:

727884135_RZb49-M.jpg

Wonderful! And just a cell phone! clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Thank you, Andrew, Sara, and bd!
  • Options
    Mr_Beach_BumMr_Beach_Bum Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    oh fun!

729004260_8BaMh-XL.jpg

729004505_KZExs-XL.jpg

729006057_EV5jp-XL.jpg

This one might be nice in BW as well... 729004706_uPMYf-XL.jpg

Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2009
    oh fun!

Enjoy!

I really like this set, all of them, really.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    oh fun!

729004260_8BaMh-XL.jpg

729004505_KZExs-XL.jpg

729006057_EV5jp-XL.jpg

This one might be nice in BW as well... 729004706_uPMYf-XL.jpg

Enjoy!

So, is the young man and arm & leg guy? He's looking pretty intimidating - a warning to turkeys everywhere. Laughing.gif Great set.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    oh fun!

Enjoy!
    Wonderful!!clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com