Yellowstone

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited January 2, 2010 in Landscapes
I'm in Yellowstone this week, mainly concentrating on wildlife. But, this one's got some landscape in it. :wink

747827598_pi5or-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking.
-joel

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    That steam in the background looks like explosions.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 23, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    That steam in the background looks like explosions.

Cuong

It's kinda cool, in a creepy sort of way.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Seriously? First those awesome shots you captured at that location with Aaron and now this? I think this is just awesome in every way - another great capture by you. And i'm super jealous that you are in Yellowstone - it's one of the top places on my list of places I want to go.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Dis you hit the lottery and take off a never ending photo shoot?

Color be way jealous.

Oh and very nice work.

Sam
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Brrr, looks very cold!! Awesome photo Joel!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    that's a really good shot, well composed, good contrast and color balance. I know this is a nit but I would clone out that piece of grass or whatever it is coming up in front of the animal very well done I'm jealous.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    thats a great shot!, I dare you to ride it...
    Aaron Nelson
  • candersoncanderson Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Wow!
    The buffalo looks like it has war paint on! Very cool shot! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D
    http://www.lazycreekphoto.com

Teddy Roosevelt Revised: "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    canderson wrote:
    The buffalo looks like it has war paint on! Very cool shot! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Exactly what I was thinking! A stunning shot! clap.gif
    edited December 23, 2009
    Sexy6Chick wrote:
    Seriously? First those awesome shots you captured at that location with Aaron and now this? I think this is just awesome in every way - another great capture by you. And i'm super jealous that you are in Yellowstone - it's one of the top places on my list of places I want to go.
    Haha, yeah, December's been a good month for me. :D Yellowstone is awesome. I'd only been once before and that was half my life ago. I want to come back in the spring when the bears are waking up.

Thanks for the comments, Natalie. thumb.gif
    -joel
    edited December 23, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Dis you hit the lottery and take off a never ending photo shoot?

Color be way jealous.

Oh and very nice work.

Sam

Thanks, Sam. Yeah, like I was saying to Natalie, it's been a good month. although, between this trip and the Page trip, I've only taken 4 days off actually.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited December 23, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Brrr, looks very cold!! Awesome photo Joel!

Ron
    Today was very cold, and tomorrow is going to be even worse they say. Brrr indeed. :sick

Thanks ront!
    -joel
    edited December 23, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    that's a really good shot, well composed, good contrast and color balance. I know this is a nit but I would clone out that piece of grass or whatever it is coming up in front of the animal very well done I'm jealous.

Thanks, Chris! I agree with you 100% on the grass blade. It's driving me nuts as well and definitely should have and will be removed soon. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited December 23, 2009
    thats a great shot!, I dare you to ride it...

Hahaha, sure I'll ride him when YOU ride this guy. rolleyes1.gif

748464661_hN5Cp-XL.jpg
    edited December 23, 2009
    canderson wrote:

Thanks so much, Chris. They call that a "mask" and it's from having their faces stuck in the snow rooting around for plants to eat.

Regards,
    -joel
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Excellent! thumb.gif I'm planning on taking my wife to Yellowstone after Christmas for her birthday....hope I can a few good pics like this. Did you take a snow-coach tour into the park?
    edited December 23, 2009
    Exactly what I was thinking! A stunning shot! clap.gif

Thanks very much, Christina!! bowdown.gif

-joel
    edited December 23, 2009
    TreyHoff wrote:
    Excellent! thumb.gif I'm planning on taking my wife to Yellowstone after Christmas for her birthday....hope I can a few good pics like this. Did you take a snow-coach tour into the park?

Thanks, TreyHoff. You should go! And oh, you'll get plenty of good pictures all right, no worries there. I went on a snowmobile tour actually. The snowcoach is probably more convenient. However, the snowmobiles go twice as fast and so you see more.

Hey, here's me. Think I got enough crap packed on there? rolleyes1.gif
    747914160_fVQNv-XL.jpg

-joel
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Absolutely magnificent! Both the place, and the photo.
    kdog wrote:
    It's kinda cool, in a creepy sort of way.

Not a thing creepy about it, just plain cool.
    kdog wrote:
    Hahaha, sure I'll ride him when YOU ride this guy. rolleyes1.gif

748464661_hN5Cp-XL.jpg

"Is that a camera? Did you just take my pi'ture? Who told you you could take my pi'ture, pal?! HUH?! Get that thing outta my face!"
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited December 23, 2009
    WillCAD wrote:
    Absolutely magnificent! Both the place, and the photo.

Not a thing creepy about it, just plain cool.

"Is that a camera? Did you just take my pi'ture? Who told you you could take my pi'ture, pal?! HUH?! Get that thing outta my face!"

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

Thanks, Will rolleyes1.gif
    -joel
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Awesome stuff, man. Wish I was there.
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Thaks for sharing.
    As was said, the composition is great as well as many other aspects.
    How close/far were you from the buffalo? What sixe lens did you use?

I'm a VERY amateur landscape & wildlife lover - hope you don't mind me asking these qyestions.
    Thanks,
    Larry
    Larry
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Great stuff Joel - well worth freezing your ...
    BTW, in the first shot was the buffalo just standing there frozen (no pun intended).
    edited December 26, 2009
    Thanks, guys!!

Shimon, no the buffalo wasn't standing still, he was moving at a pretty good clip. A few walked by before him so I had some practice setting up the shot. Good thing, because I blew all the other ones. rolleyes1.gif He was the last one in the group, so the pressure was on. :uhoh

Ridgemac, I took that shot with a Canon 100-400L IS, at 150mm. That was on a full-frame camera, so figure around 105mm on a crop body. The buffalo were walking all around us and it was getting a little nervy. The guide warned me to keep something between me and the buffalo like the snowmobile. Problem was, the buffalo started walking on both sides of the snowmobiles, so we were trapped. I told the guide I was going to keep him between me and the buffalo. :giggle
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Kdog,

Yes it's surprising how big animals look when your out in the open with them as opposed to seeing them from a car or on TV. Also Buffalo are no joke. They can and will hurt you if they take a mind to.

As a side note I recommend you buy a book called death in Yellowstone, I think you will both enjoy and be surprised.

Sam
  • videotape74videotape74 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    simply incredible...the buffalo/bison's face is simply amazing. what a beautiful shot!
    Nikon D200
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro Nikkor
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX
    Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I'm late to the party, but that's one sweet shot, Joel! clap.gif

Looking forward to seeing the full trip report!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited December 28, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Kdog,

Yes it's surprising how big animals look when your out in the open with them as opposed to seeing them from a car or on TV. Also Buffalo are no joke. They can and will hurt you if they take a mind to.

As a side note I recommend you buy a book called death in Yellowstone, I think you will both enjoy and be surprised.

Sam
    So I've heard. Our guide was telling me about a foreign tourist who was taking a picture of one and tried getting right in the bison's face for a closeup and found himself impaled and thrown 10'.

Funny story, I was snowshoeing through a meadow and there were two of them lying down in the snow that I didn't see until I was fairly close to them. Nothing much to do at that point but walk right by them as they glared at me. I was careful not to make eye contact and tried to make it obvious that I was just passing by, and not walking toward them. They were cool.

I ordered the book you recommended though mostly for entertainment value, but knowledge is power. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited December 28, 2009
    Thanks, Videotape74 and Chris.

Chris, I'm working up landscape shots still. But I have posted a couple of threads in Wildlife.

Cheers,
    -joel