Options

Shooting a indoor wedding with natural/ambient light?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    The new pocket wizards are canon ettl and work well from the hotshoe with all EXCEPT the 580's because the 580's emit a frequency that messes with the frequencies available to the pw's. Still work, but distance is compromised. Big difference between the 580's though and the 4 series flashes in terms of power. The built-in infra red on the 580 does work well indoors though, and over a respectable distance. I personally don't use off camera much indoors anymore except for group formals though so I don't mind any of that.

Matt

I don't think I understand exactly what you mean--how are you connecting the 400 series flashes to the pocket wizard? Or if you're not connecting them physically, how are you communicating with them? I don't actually have any pocket wizard plugged into my hotshoe when I'm working at the reception. It's connected to my camera via sync cord.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Mishka wrote:
    I don't think I understand exactly what you mean--how are you connecting the 400 series flashes to the pocket wizard? Or if you're not connecting them physically, how are you communicating with them? I don't actually have any pocket wizard plugged into my hotshoe when I'm working at the reception. It's connected to my camera via sync cord.

Pocket wizard now makes an ettl version that monts to the hotshoe. Have ya been living under a rock Mishka? Ha!! These have been out for about a year now. http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/flextt5-canon/

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    Pocket wizard now makes an ettl version that monts to the hotshoe. Have ya been living under a rock Mishka? Ha!! These have been out for about a year now. http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/flextt5-canon/

Matt

Yep! That's me--living under a rock! :D Actually, that wouldn't work well with my setup anyway because I also have a flash mounted on my hotshoe while using the off-camera flashes. It looks like that little pocket wizard only works on the hotshoe--or am I mistaken again?
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Mishka wrote:
    Yep! That's me--living under a rock! :D Actually, that wouldn't work well with my setup anyway because I also have a flash mounted on my hotshoe while using the off-camera flashes. It looks like that little pocket wizard only works on the hotshoe--or am I mistaken again?

The new PW's mount on your camera's hotshoe and have a hotshoe on top of the PW sou you can stack a flash right on top. I've been using them for about 8 months now and love them.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Mishka wrote:

The new PW's mount on your camera's hotshoe and have a hotshoe on top of the PW sou you can stack a flash right on top. I've been using them for about 8 months now and love them.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2010

Cool--guess I'll have to get with the program!
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2010
    this must be among the biggest alltime threadjacks. Talking about pocket wizards in an "all ambient wedding" thread!

They are great except for the 580 frequency issue... I have not had good luck with using a 580 off camera and on the pw shoe at the same time. I keep saying I'm going to get a 550(?... previous model w/o the issue), but I never do. Off the shoe works fine though to about 70 ft. There are tips on the pw site about it... they have been very supportive over the issue imo.

These will also work with existing PWs if you don't mind thowing some manual flash in with your ettl, or shooting straight manual. Plus they give you faster shutter syncs (before going into high speed sync on the flash) up to 2x. Big improvements on all except our beloved 5d's Mishka, which get up to what most cameras are with 1/250th. I have the best of the worst gear compatibility wise for these things, and I still love them. My biggest gripe is that they turn off the IR on the flash so you can't, for instance, put two flashes in a single umbrella without having 3 PWs. That is the only reason I keep my st-e2 IR transmitter.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    My money is on Radio Poppers, when the time comes. From what I've gathered, it seems to be built on a more stable platform. Do your research before you buy!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    My money is on Radio Poppers, when the time comes. From what I've gathered, it seems to be built on a more stable platform. Do your research before you buy!

=Matt=
    The whole "velcro it to your existing flash" thing is what turned me off on the poppers, but I have heard that they are pretty reliable nonetheless.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    this must be among the biggest alltime threadjacks. Talking about pocket wizards in an "all ambient wedding" thread!

They are great except for the 580 frequency issue... I have not had good luck with using a 580 off camera and on the pw shoe at the same time. I keep saying I'm going to get a 550(?... previous model w/o the issue), but I never do. Off the shoe works fine though to about 70 ft. There are tips on the pw site about it... they have been very supportive over the issue imo.

These will also work with existing PWs if you don't mind thowing some manual flash in with your ettl, or shooting straight manual. Plus they give you faster shutter syncs (before going into high speed sync on the flash) up to 2x. Big improvements on all except our beloved 5d's Mishka, which get up to what most cameras are with 1/250th. I have the best of the worst gear compatibility wise for these things, and I still love them. My biggest gripe is that they turn off the IR on the flash so you can't, for instance, put two flashes in a single umbrella without having 3 PWs. That is the only reason I keep my st-e2 IR transmitter.

Matt

Yeah, I didn't mean to hijack the thread...oops. I think I'll stick with what works, since I use 580s and have a non-canon flash too. I prefer to use them in manual mode anyway, so the ettl may not be of much benefit to me--though I could see circumstances where that'd be handy.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    No more velcro
    mmmatt wrote:
    The whole "velcro it to your existing flash" thing is what turned me off on the poppers, but I have heard that they are pretty reliable nonetheless.

Matt

Some time last year they came out with a better instalation thingie... it is much better and does not require any velcro. (which was my biggest gripe as well) I still haven't tried it, but I expect to this next wedding season.

Click here to see them. Muchos betters.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Some time last year they came out with a better instalation thingie... it is much better and does not require any velcro. (which was my biggest gripe as well) I still haven't tried it, but I expect to this next wedding season.

Click here to see them. Muchos betters.

whoa... You can use them to shoot any studio strove that has a sync port in ettl? Did I read that right? That is cool. May have to put the pw's on the block!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    whoa... You can use them to shoot any studio strove that has a sync port in ettl? Did I read that right? That is cool. May have to put the pw's on the block!

Matt
    As far as I know, it is only certain strobes that will work in TTL, but yes the JRX system will allow you to seamlessly integrate high-powered studio strobes into your TTL based "IR piggyback" system. Like I said, I simply feel that the RadioPopper system was built on a more solid foundation than the PW "flex / mini" system. PW tried to make it convenient by using the hotshoe to transmit / receive certain signals, however this bypasses certain signals used in the normal IR operation, which I think is part of what contributes to their far lessened range compared to RadioPoppers. (Yes, there's the 580 issue, but also plain and simple the RadioPoppers out-range any PW TTL system by a full city block or something...)

Just repeating what info I've gathered from online reviews! Like I said, anyone interested should do their own research, maybe the reviews I've read were totally flawed...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum