Options

Lightroom 3 publishing: SmugMug support?

dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited June 7, 2011 in Finishing School
Lightroom 3 is introducing a new way to publish photos to online sites (Details here). Anybody know if SmugMug is planning to officially support this, or if we're going to need to rely on third parties?

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    dberthia wrote:
    Lightroom 3 is introducing a new way to publish photos to online sites (Details here). Anybody know if SmugMug is planning to officially support this, or if we're going to need to rely on third parties?

?? are you asking if Smugmug will provide the plug-in, or somehow ship with Lightroom? Or something else?

Since Jeffery Friedl already provides this capability, and in fact is mentioned as driving this effort in LR3, not sure what is needed or missing from LR2...we already have much of this now, and LR3 looks like a nice improvement.
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Yep. agreed. If it doesn't come out-of-the-box from Adobe or downloadable from SmugMug, I'm confident that Jeffrey will have one ready asap.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I have no doubt that Jeffery Friedl will release something for this, but am just wondering if an "official" version is to be expected.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Most if not all 3rd party export modules are broken in 3beta so don’t expect anything until the final release.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    chrisdg wrote:
    Yep. agreed. If it doesn't come out-of-the-box from Adobe or downloadable from SmugMug, I'm confident that Jeffrey will have one ready asap.

Jeffrey Friedl's SmugMug Lightroom plug-in has supported the new LR3 format for a while. From the release notes:
    20091022.124 Added a first draft of some rudimentary support for Lightroom 3 Beta. See this important note about plugin support in Lightroom 3 Beta and Lightroom 3, including future plans for features and my registration system.

As far as official support, no idea.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Pixoul wrote:
    Jeffrey Friedl's SmugMug Lightroom plug-in has supported the new LR3 format for a while.
    Jeffery Friedl's plug-in, together with Timothy Armes' Mogrify plug-in, has always done everything I need for export to SmugMug. I'm expecting to continue to use these with LR3.

No other solution is required IMHO! thumb.gif
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Jeffery Friedl's plug-in, together with Timothy Armes' Mogrify plug-in, has always done everything I need for export to SmugMug. I'm expecting to continue to use these with LR3.

No other solution is required IMHO! thumb.gif

Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but isn't the new feature in LR3 meant to be a 2 way and update-able publish? So that if I make a change to an image in LR it will "automatically" be uploaded and replace the image that was previously on Smugmug? I don't believe that Friedl's plugin allows for this, nor does it allow for keywords and such to be pushed back from Smugmug into Lightroom.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:
    if I make a change to an image in LR it will "automatically" be uploaded and replace the image that was previously on Smugmug?
    No, not AFAIK!
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I don't believe that Friedl's plugin allows for this, nor does it allow for keywords and such to be pushed back from Smugmug into Lightroom.
    Ditto!
  • Options
    RealShakaZuluRealShakaZulu Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Smugmug version
    I am also getting tired of JF's rules and ridiculous nag messages. Why would SmugMug make us beholden to him!?!?!? Can no one else create these plugins? Is there a template that one can use to create a new one? ne_nau.gif
    Learn as if you live forever, Live asLearn as if you will live forever, Live as if you die tomorrow ::Ghandi
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    I seriously doubt that Jeffery Friedl is making political or other statements with 'rules' in how his plug-in works. His plug-ins are limited by both what Adobe provides in its plug-in architecture, and what the Smugmug API provides. Just because the Smugmug API supports something, does not mean that it is 'possible' as there may in fact be a limitation in LR.

By the way, you must check the box in the plug-in that forces embedded keywords to be read by Smugmug. If you do not, you will not get keywords. The plug-in also provides a place to manually add keywords as well.

Vote with your wallet, or with your hands (ie write a plug-in yourself) if you don't like the plug-in, don't buy it. For me, its a fantastic, time saving tool, and I am only too happy to give Jeffery some extra walking around money to credit him for his time and effort.
    I am also getting tired of JF's rules and ridiculous nag messages. Why would SmugMug make us beholden to him!?!?!? Can no one else create these plugins? Is there a template that one can use to create a new one? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010

Jfriedl's plugin is incredibly robust and feature-rich, is updated constantly at no charge, has a ridiculously long trial period (6 weeks, something like that?), and allows the user to register the product for as little as a penny.

Truly, no good deed goes unpunished.
    Cmason wrote: »
    Vote with your wallet, or with your hands (ie write a plug-in yourself) if you don't like the plug-in, don't buy it. For me, its a fantastic, time saving tool, and I am only too happy to give Jeffery some extra walking around money to credit him for his time and effort.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 31, 2010
    Check out the official release of LR 3.2 mwink.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    devbobo wrote: »
    Check out the official release of LR 3.2 mwink.gif
    It's still only a release candidate, isn't it? ne_nau.gif

And by the looks of it, there will be at least one more RC before we get to LR 3.2 final.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    It's still only a release candidate, isn't it? ne_nau.gif

And by the looks of it, there will be at least one more RC before we get to LR 3.2 final.

nope, it just went live
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    nope, it just went live
    Thanks!

Either they've found and squashed some serious performance bugs, or they're still there!
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    The official smugmug publish tool is interesting. Is there a way to have it pre-populate gallery images that had previously been uploaded the way that jfriedl's does? It wasn't a perfect solution, but it did save a lot of time getting set up.

And, does it support a two way sync of keywords, comments, etc?
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    MarkR wrote: »
    The official smugmug publish tool is interesting. Is there a way to have it pre-populate gallery images that had previously been uploaded the way that jfriedl's does? It wasn't a perfect solution, but it did save a lot of time getting set up.

And, does it support a two way sync of keywords, comments, etc?

Hey Mark,

We were a bit restricted with time due to Adobe's release schedule for Lightroom, but given the timeframe and that it's our first release...it does accomplish quite a bit imho.

I have a dev version that searches the catalog for images that already exist on SmugMug, and also does conflict resolution if multiple images matching a given criteria are found. I'm not sure when this version will be publicly available, but I/m hoping sooner than later.

At this point, we aren't syncing images keywords or captions from SmugMug back to LR, but image comments are syncing directionally.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Hey Mark,

We were a bit restricted with time due to Adobe's release schedule for Lightroom, but given the timeframe and that it's our first release...it does accomplish quite a bit imho.

I have a dev version that searches the catalog for images that already exist on SmugMug, that does conflict resolution if multiple images matching a given criteria are found. I'm not sure when this version will be publicly available, but I/m hoping sooner than later.

At this point, we aren't syncing images keywords or captions from SmugMug back to LR, but image comments are syncing directionally.

Cheers,

David

Wasn't complaining-- genuinely curious and trying to weigh the pros and cons of this versus jfriedl's plugin. Each has their merits and I don't want to be stuck switching between the two in order to get what I need, feature-wise. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    MarkR wrote: »
    Wasn't complaining-- genuinely curious and trying to weigh the pros and cons of this versus jfriedl's plugin. Each has their merits and I don't want to be stuck switching between the two in order to get what I need, feature-wise. thumb.gif

hehe, that's cool. One thing that our official plugin supports that Jeffrey's doesn't, is the ability to create categories, subcategories and albums and populate them within LR while being offline.

Also, if an error is encountered during an upload, the whole batch won't be blocked from uploading while it waits for the user to click ok....it continues and then displays a summary of errors at the end of uploading, just like if you had issues during an import.

I'm sure there are plenty of other differences, but nothing comes to mind atm.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Sync up existing gallery
    There doesn't seem to be a way to sync up and existing gallery with the publishing collection. It that the case? Adding new stuff to an existing gallery is no problem.

Tnx
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    The SmugMug publisher appears to "sneak" photos into a gallery:D For example the last 3 photos in this album, http://www.danalphotos.com/Other/An-Album/9934277_RT2GU#926367110_R49XL, do not appear on the "Recent Photos" list on http://www.danalphotos.com/ .

Is that how the publisher is supposed to work?

Tnx,
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    The SmugMug publisher appears to "sneak" photos into a gallery:D For example the last 3 photos in this album, http://www.danalphotos.com/Other/An-Album/9934277_RT2GU#926367110_R49XL, do not appear on the "Recent Photos" list on http://www.danalphotos.com/ .

Is that how the publisher is supposed to work?

Tnx,

G'day Dan,

It's late here in Australia... 1am. I'll explain tomorrow, but there is some error handling that looks for existing images within a given gallery before uploading.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Checked my site a couple of hours later and the popped up in "Latest Photos". So it working as expected, probably I was running into some kind of caching issue.
    G'day Dan,

It's late here in Australia... 1am. I'll explain tomorrow, but there is some error handling that looks for existing images within a given gallery before uploading.

Cheers,

David
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    I am not complaining as I have not yet even looked at this addition yet, I was bug hunting for work yesterday. Is there a quick start or other instructions to help out with some of these questions. Yup, I am one of those weird people that read instructions - probably because I have to write them at work.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    I am not complaining as I have not yet even looked at this addition yet, I was bug hunting for work yesterday. Is there a quick start or other instructions to help out with some of these questions. Yup, I am one of those weird people that read instructions - probably because I have to write them at work.
    Hang in there and You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    I have LR3.2 installed (as I'm guessing is the case for many of us) on my desktop AND laptop machines. I'm guessing it would be a bad idea to set up publishing on both machines. ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Now I need to save the pennies for LR3! I have a quarter and a few dimes right now. :D
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Hang in there and You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.

Andy, got the RSS and the Twitter feeds - still not doing Facebook rolleyes1.gif. Just did not see a link to the help until today http://www.smugmug.com/help/lightroom-upload in the release notes. As usual you guys were on top of it. thumb.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    I have LR3.2 installed (as I'm guessing is the case for many of us) on my desktop AND laptop machines. I'm guessing it would be a bad idea to set up publishing on both machines. ne_nau.gif

it's not a bad idea, it just won't be as functional as it will be once i have image syncing working.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    netarcnetarc Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2011
    Sync of keywords LR <--> SM

Cheers,

David

Checking in on this topic, do you folks have an ETA for sync'ing keywords and captions from Smugmug back to LR? If not, can anyone comment whether Jeff's plugin will accomplish this?

Too, I'd read on another post that changing keywords in LR of a pic that's already published, triggers a full re-upload of the pic to the Smugmug gallery - is that still the case, or are now only the changes (i.e., keyword updates) transmitted?