Options

New way to Learn Photography online (free resource)

EatMyShotEatMyShot Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited July 23, 2010 in Technique
There are some good free photography tutorials can be found online. This website stands out because of a brilliant design for learning environment: it just launched in 2010: check it out: www.LearnMyShot.com

p.s. I helped co-founding this site and I am proudly sharing the link with this community because I believe it is a great free resource that will greatly benefit its members. New lessons will be added weekly.
Please let me know what you think!
:lust
Here are some recent lessons (updated 07-23-10)

Telephoto Lens Phenomenon

026-telephoto_post3.jpg

Long Exposures with Sparklers

Portrait in Direct Sunlight with Pop-up Flash

How to Photograph Flowers Macro Photography with extension tubes.

Projecting Light for Creative Effect

How to photograph Toddlers

How to Photograph FIRE

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Welcome to DGrin!

I just spent 15 minutes at your site and was impressed. I recommend other DGrinners check it out just to see the simple studio lighting setup. The learning videos are short, very well-done, and simple to follow (and mimic). I have bookmarked the site to see what else they add in the coming weeks.

Thanks for sharing this. Good luck in the venture.
  • Options
    The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Iclap.gif your websiteand will definitely be coming back there in the future. Thanks for this initiative!
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Iclap.gif your websiteand will definitely be coming back there in the future. Thanks for this initiative!

Ditto!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    TEphotosTEphotos Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    clap.gif Love it!! And will be checking it out more often!
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    Thank you guys so much for such a wonderful feedback.
    We just posted a new lesson:
    It's a very basic tutorial on How to Use Close Up Tubes as an inexpensive alternative to a macro lens: How to shoot Macro with Close Up Tubes
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 23, 2010
    Nice site...I just signed up.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    I am very impressed and the macro teaching is very good, seeing that i am really interested in macro photography.
    Thanks alot Good work
    eddy
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    New tutorial: Shooting Moving Water (River Landscape)
    Thank you so much for great feedback. We just posted a new lesson: How to photograph a River Landscape Please check it out and share your comments.

River-pic.jpg
  • Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Logged in!
  • Options
    DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    This is great!! Simplified shooting roaring water for me .. thank you thumb.gif
  • Options
    ole docole doc Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    very worthwhile site. Thank you.
    Nick
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    captain78 wrote:
    Nice site...I just signed up.

+1
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Great Stuff.
    Just signed up as well. Look forward to more!!
  • Options
    The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    EatMyShot wrote:
    Thank you so much for great feedback. We just posted a new lesson: How to photograph a River Landscape Please check it out and share your comments.

These are useful little tutorials. if I may I suggest another one that could be highly beneficial to amateurs: a video on 'dragging the shutter' in indoor low-light shooting. [edit: using flash, obviously] Although a simple concept, it took me a while to figure out settings on that one, and your style of tutorials would be perfectly suited to explain this concept.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Options
    JDouglasJDouglas Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Nice videos. It would be a nice site too, if you'd get rid of the data mining activities. With no video playing, the site uses 20-25% of my CPU communicating with tubemogul.com and whatever else is going on in the background.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    JDouglas wrote:
    Nice videos. It would be a nice site too, if you'd get rid of the data mining activities. With no video playing, the site uses 20-25% of my CPU communicating with tubemogul.com and whatever else is going on in the background.
    Actually there is absolutely no data mining activity at all. Tubemogul is a common video view counter that comes with video plugin. It helps us see where our videos are played and how many times. But it doesn't use much of cpu. video plug -in uses cpu for playback (and while on pause). And that's the reality with any video plug-in. try to go on youtube and the cpu usage will probably be much higher comparing to our site.
    The bottom line is that we do not mine for data and would never engage in any dishonest activity - we hate that stuff. If you would like to discuss this topic in greater detail please contact us via contact page on our site.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    Thank you ALL for signing up and welcome aboard. Choo-choo

we have a lot of fun videos coming up - we shot a dog last week and a goldfish today.... (the dog was much better at taking direction) :ivar
    These are useful little tutorials. if I may I suggest another one that could be highly beneficial to amateurs: a video on 'dragging the shutter' in indoor low-light shooting. [edit: using flash, obviously] Although a simple concept, it took me a while to figure out settings on that one, and your style of tutorials would be perfectly suited to explain this concept.
    Thanks for a great advise, I love that idea.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2010
    How to photograph a Dog
    We just posted a new Tutorial: How to photograph a dog
    Using Clamp Lamps was very effective because some animals get scared of flash. Check it out let me know what you think:
    Here is the final shot:
    frm-dog.jpg
  • Options
    choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Thank you! will look at it in details later.
  • Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    that looks really good, thanks for sharing clap.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    So far I've watched all of the videos and learned a little something from each.

Now - about shooting the dogmwink.gif

Kidding. Actually, my poor mutt gets used as a model on a regular basis. He's very tough to shoot - black with dark eyes. Same problem with my horse. Black. Getting the exposure right on either of them is STILL a challenge.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Kidding. Actually, my poor mutt gets used as a model on a regular basis. He's very tough to shoot - black with dark eyes. Same problem with my horse. Black. Getting the exposure right on either of them is STILL a challenge.
    Hello Ceci, thanks for your feedback. I noticed that you shoot your dog and horse outside on the snow a lot. The contrast of white snow and black animal is very high and it is difficult to expose. I would recommend to photograph early in the morning or early in the evening, when sun (the light source) is hitting the surface at a lower angle. thus there will be less light reflected off the surface (snow) while the subject will be fully lit. Use spot metering to take a reading off your subject and you should end up with properly exposed black dog/ horse and still get some detail in the snow.
    I hope this helped!
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I didn't join because I couldn't without giving personal information which I didn't think was relevant to you.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Just signed up. Great resource! I second the suggestion for some video tutorials based around flash!
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Just signed up. Great resource! I second the suggestion for some video tutorials based around flash!
    Yes top pints. We will introduce flash soon in about a month or two. We just started with something that everyone can afford. Please note that we use exactly same lighting set up as if we would with flash. So if you use flash you can still learn the concepts of lighting from existing lessons.

Niel- when you sign up we only ask name, email, country, dob, gender. It's a standard sign up form. We send out a pretty cool newsletter with new lessons I would hate for you you to miss out. you can also follow us on twitter for updates as well @learnmyshot if that's easier

Thanks
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2010
    EatMyShot wrote:
    Yes top pints. We will introduce flash soon in about a month or two. We just started with something that everyone can afford. Please note that we use exactly same lighting set up as if we would with flash. So if you use flash you can still learn the concepts of lighting from existing lessons.

Niel- when you sign up we only ask name, email, country, dob, gender. It's a standard sign up form. We send out a pretty cool newsletter with new lessons I would hate for you you to miss out. you can also follow us on twitter for updates as well @learnmyshot if that's easier

Thanks

Standard it might be, but that doesn't necessarily make it acceptable. What do you absolutely need to know about me? Nothing, I suggest. If you are offering a newsletter and I agree to receive it you only need an address to send it. If however you are grazing for people's location, age and gender you are doing it for other reasons, eg to sell to advertisers. Not all of us want to be used that way. Make the info you really don't need to send the newsletter optional, not compulsory. I suggest that would give a different tone to your site.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2010
    Very good point Neil. Thank you very much. I didn't think about it that way. I think it's a great idea.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    How to photograph white on white
    Just added a new Video! Simple elegant still life of White on White. Please let me know your thoughts.
    How to photograph White on White
    Here is the final shot:
    frm-white.jpg
  • Options
    Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Answered my water shooting question.. Thank you much!clap.gif
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    You need my date of birth?
    Why?

I almost didn't join because it wouldn't allow me to submit unless I put my birth date in. It's really none of your business how old I am. Now, should I lie and put in some younger or older date, or put in a totally wrong birthday? I'd like to know why you insist on a birth date please...headscratch.gif

I am following you on twitter, so be sure to remember to use it to indicate updates, because otherwise I will probably forget I even joined.

I do appreciate the lessons and videos and found them all quite interesting.

I find your use of vellum very interesting, and was horrified when you ripped one to shreds to let some beams of sunlight in, but the effect was excellent.

However, not everyone has the stands and extension arms you use. Can you do a video on how to purchase and use this equipment? The same with the mirror you used, and how you position your foam core boards...