Options

New way to Learn Photography online (free resource)

2»

Comments

• Options
    EatMyShotEatMyShot Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I almost didn't join because it wouldn't allow me to submit unless I put my birth date in. It's really none of your business how old I am. Now, should I lie and put in some younger or older date, or put in a totally wrong birthday? I'd like to know why you insist on a birth date please...headscratch.gif
    Dee- Thank you very much. Knowing average age of our members helps us to understand our audience better. It comes in handy when we plan new lessons, or adding new features to the site.
    If sharing age is an issue you can put the age you feel you are -> I think that still would be honest. Another option is RSS feed -> "latest lesson" window has a rss icon. By subscribing to rss feed you will get emails when the new posts are live and for rss you do not need to share any information. We always post updates on twitter as well.

Great question about the equipment we use. We received a bunch of emails with similar requests. So in a few weeks we are going to make a separate video where we will explain about all the gear we use. Including stands, clamps etc....
    Thank you for your input and support!
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Rss
    I just don't "get" RSS at all. Twitter works, I "get" twitter, Laughing.gif...
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    EatMyShot wrote:
    Dee- Thank you very much. Knowing average age of our members helps us to understand our audience better. It comes in handy when we plan new lessons, or adding new features to the site.
    If sharing age is an issue you can put the age you feel you are -> I think that still would be honest. Another option is RSS feed -> "latest lesson" window has a rss icon. By subscribing to rss feed you will get emails when the new posts are live and for rss you do not need to share any information. We always post updates on twitter as well.

Great question about the equipment we use. We received a bunch of emails with similar requests. So in a few weeks we are going to make a separate video where we will explain about all the gear we use. Including stands, clamps etc....
    Thank you for your input and support!

To be honest, I think the reason you give for wanting to know people's ages is nonsense. Can *you* tell someone's age by looking at their photography work?

You haven't come clean whether you sell this personal information to advertisers and the like. You run this enterprise like a business, so I wonder what is the recompense for you? There are many thousands of photo tutorial sites, all of them are supported by advertising.

What I am saying has nothing to do with the quality and value of what your site offers, which seem to me to be quite high. But your site is not free, you are asking people to pay with the personal information you require from them. Your Twitter and RSS stats, though they don't contain the same personal information as in your joinup form, do contain information about phone and IP, and the number of people in your audience, all useful to advertisers etc.

You need a privacy statement.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    NeilL wrote:
    To be honest, I think the reason you give for wanting to know people's ages is nonsense. Can *you* tell someone's age by looking at their photography work?

Neil
    We do not share any info with any third party. Nor use it for any monetary gain. We also keep all the content available for FREE and you can access it without signing in! Joining has benefits such are newsletter and ability to ask questions / comment, and promote your own site in your profile etc.. but it is not mandatory.
    We are not against advertising. But we just do not want to disturb the clean design and concept of the site. Our source of income comes from our well established photography businesses in NYC and Connecticut.
    You made a great point about privacy policy statement. I will add it to the site in the next few weeks.
    I understand now that it is a very important issue.
    Thank you very much!
  • Options
    Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Need some night shot vids. Need help with stars.
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PJSheaPhotoPJSheaPhoto Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Great Site
    Good stuff! I'll be back soon. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    Fish Tank photography lesson
    Just posted a new Lesson, faster cut and with Music !
    Let me know how do like the new approach:

check it out: How to photograph Aquarium Fish

here is final image:
    fish-pic.jpg
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    I've noticed the videos have been slow to come, but I like them. I will check out the new format when I get home.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    The videos are great.... The fish one was well done...

More please!! nod.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    Classic Still Life
    Here comes the new one: :D
    Video: How To Photograph Classic Still Life with Natural light

one of the final shots below:
    natural-llight-still-life-frm.jpg
  • Options
    The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Look at all the chemical residue from spraying on the pear! mwink.gif
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2010
    How to photograph Shiny Metals
    A new lesson:
    video: How to Photograph Highly Reflective objects
    Shot:
    shiny-objects-post.jpg
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    EatMyShot wrote:
    shiny-objects-post.jpg

This shot ROCKS!
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    Direct Sunlight Effect in studio
    D'Buggs wrote:
    This shot ROCKS!
    THANKS!
    Here is a new one.

Video: How to Create Sunshine Effect in Studio with Artificial Sunlight

Here is the final shot:
    sunlight-effect-flk-opt.jpg

• Options
    edited April 15, 2010
    Basic Photo Studio Equipment
    This is the video to show up close most of the equipment we used in our tutorials: check it out:
    VIDEO: Lighting and Grip Equipment for Clamp Lamp Studio

Please let me know what you think? ne_nau.gif
    Cheers
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2010
    Fire Photography
    Newest Tut:
    Video: How to Photograph Fire:
    here are some final images:
    fire.jpg

this one with hue adjusted for purple love
    fire--purple.jpg

Let me know how do you like it. Please suggest ideas for new lessons. Thank you! :D
  • Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    OK, after seeing the color adjusted shot, I'm really interested in trying this. That is really cool!
  • Options
    stradivariusstradivarius Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2010
    Wow I've always wondered whether or not I should spend some money on some basic tutorials, but by chance came across your site. It's great! Thank you so much!!
  • Options
    chuckorcchuckorc Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2010
    EatMyShot wrote: »
    Newest Tut:
    Video: How to Photograph Fire:
    here are some final images:
    fire.jpg

this one with hue adjusted for purple love
    fire--purple.jpg

Let me know how do you like it. Please suggest ideas for new lessons. Thank you! :D
    Great tutorial! Some good tips especially for me, since my flames always tend to come out flat.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,951 moderator
    edited May 9, 2010
    Thank you!
    EatMyShot wrote: »
    Here comes the new one: :D
    Video: How To Photograph Classic Still Life with Natural light

one of the final shots below:
    natural-llight-still-life-frm.jpg

I've enjoyed browsing through your tutorials, including this one. I've focused primarily on outdoor photography but am intrigued by what can be done with enhanced lighting indoors. (I did sign up but agree that it would be ideal to make more of the fields optional.)

Thanks!
  • Options
    tatunka2135tatunka2135 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Ha! Just signed up too! Great info on that site and fun to cruise. See you around.

Tat
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    Thank you Guys, welcome aboard.
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the reason you give for wanting to know people's ages is nonsense.
    I suspect it's because they need to know the age range, in order to sell advertising. The advertisers want to know who they're pitching to.

And/or it clues the site producers in w.r.t. their audience demographics, so they can slant the examples to appeal to that age group(s). ...Although, who your audience is versus who you're targeting is a bit of chicken-and-egg. Business-wise, esp for a new endeavor, it makes more sense to choose a target audience, then go after it.

I have no objection to collecting my (approximate ;-) ) age, as long as it is used in aggregate form (but that hasn't been stated).

Another possible use is that if any photographs/lessons (for example) involve nudes, those might not appear for members under the requisite age. But it doesn't sound like age is being used that way right now.
    Yep, that would take care of any questions / objections. Easy fix. And every web site should do that.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited May 14, 2010
    I agree we need privacy statement. We are unrolling some new features to the site in a next few weeks and will add Privacy statement. A few folks raised this issue earlier, I am sorry we've been slow to respond. But it's in the works. Million thanks for helping us make it better!
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2010
    Projected Light
    New Tutorial:
    How to Photograph Using Projected Gobo Light
    here is the final image:
    Projected-light-post.jpg

let me know what you think. Do you use Gobo projected light in your photography ?
  • Options
    VichVich Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Fantastic!
    I just signed up and watched the first 2 videos. EMAILed the link to a buddy I just sold my 30D to as his first camera. He'll be jazzed.

If I were to suggest anything it would be an HD option.

Thanks for doing this. Can't wait to give these a try!
    Gear - 7D, 5Dii, many lenses , much stuff.
  • Options
    heatherjo811heatherjo811 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Standard it might be, but that doesn't necessarily make it acceptable. What do you absolutely need to know about me? Nothing, I suggest. If you are offering a newsletter and I agree to receive it you only need an address to send it. If however you are grazing for people's location, age and gender you are doing it for other reasons, eg to sell to advertisers. Not all of us want to be used that way. Make the info you really don't need to send the newsletter optional, not compulsory. I suggest that would give a different tone to your site.

Neil

I personally don't mind a little info. Gender, age, location is hardly kept top secret anywhere. Besides, if it will help you provide relevant, useful free info to me... then I think it's fine. Don't like it, don't do it. I just don't understand wasting energy to complain about it.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2010
    New updates
    Hello Folks,
    We have some new exciting news:
    1. We added a new feature now you can upload your shot directly into comments (using "share your shot" link) If you tried any of the tutorials and got a good shot or got a really bad one, please post it for us to see.

2. Privacy policy is UP !!! I hope that will clear the waters. Thank you for your advise i think it was a good idea to add it to the site !!!

3. We have a few new lessons up:

Video: How to photograph Flowers Close up with Extension Tubes
    shot:
    flowers-macro-post.jpg

and

Portrait in Direct Sunlight Light with Pop-Up Flash

shot: (Robert's Self-Portrait): rolleyes1.gif
    on-camera-flash.jpg

Thank you for your Support. Let us know what you think!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2010
    Telephoto Lens Compression Photography Technique
    Howdy Folks,
    We have a new tutorial: that demonstrated the technique of perspective compression:
    See article and Video:

Telephoto Compression Phenomenon

image:
    026-telephoto_post3.jpg

full shot:
    4819993662_b347a0f314_z.jpg

Do you use telephoto compression in your work?
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    Just forwarded your site to my brother in law who is really getting into photography now. I think he'll be quite happy to view your videos.