Options

Need Serious Help: Print Ad My FIRST Sale EVER

Meghan SenkelMeghan Senkel Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited February 5, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi! My name is Meghan and I decided to make the transition from hobby photographer to pro this year. I've been working really hard on my business, doing as much as I can during my free time after my "real" job, fully expecting that my future client's needs (and requests for work) would catch up with the business planning end of things a few months down the road. So far it hasn't really worked out that way!

My problem is this: On Saturday, I took some shots at my local dog wash of the customer's pooches. One of these dogs is a 3-month-old champion Chow Chow puppy. I gave her owners my business card and set up a gallery on the web for them. As it turns out they are interested in using one of my photos in a print ad for the Chow National in April. I was NOT expecting my very first sale to be for a single digital image, much less for a print ad. I have absolutely NO idea how to proceed with pricing, agreements/contracts, etc...

I currently live in Annapolis, MD if that helps at all.

I'd really appreciate any responses you have, I'd like to get back to them as quickly as possible (you know, so they don't see the man behind the curtain!) as they may be future clients.

Thanks so much!!

Meghan

Comments

• Options
    akurtzakurtz Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Meghan,

First of all, congratulations on making the transition to pro! Judging by your blog (which I really like, by the way), I'm about a month or two behind you now. (Shot my first paid portrait assignment in December, my business cards arrive next week, and my new "professional" website will launch in about two weeks.)

Pricing this photo should depend on your expertise and reputation and the client's market and usage. Since the image wasn't shot as an assignment, you'd be licensing it for the ad as stock. There are several places where you can get pricing guidelines. I would strongly recommend these two books:

Best Business Practices for Photographers (Second Edition) by John Harrington
    I recommend you read this from cover to cover -- there is SO much useful information here! Pricing is discussed in Chapter 7. He will point you to a software package called FotoQuote (~$150) that can provide current pricing guidelines for any photo usage imaginable.

Pricing Photography (Third Edition) by Michal Heron and David MacTavish
    This book has more in-depth pricing information and includes price charts in Chapter 9.

Both books contain sample forms -- contracts, licenses, etc.

This information may be overkill now for pricing this usage, but it gives you a good idea of the information that is factored into the pricing process -- and it will hopefully be useful down the road as you grow your photography business!

I did some Googling -- is the 2010 CCCI in Pennsylvania the event to which you are referring? If so, you can find a link to their catalog ad pricing PDF about halfway down that page on the left. Your potential client's ad options are:
    • One full page ad in color -- $100 (but a minimum of two color pages must be purchased)
    • One full page ad in B&W -- $40
    • One half page ad in B&W -- $30

You should inquire as to which usage they are considering before giving them a quote -- or simply provide a quote that covers all three possible usages. This alone will help you come across as a professional who knows what she's doing.

Normally stock photos for ads are priced at a small fraction of what it costs the company to place the ad, but that won't be the case here since the cost to place an ad is so small. You'll have to go with your gut on this one. Since your photo is of the client's championship dog, you can command a higher price since they have a personal attachment to it. (I'm sure you know how much people LOVE photos of their own pets. They wouldn't be happy with just any $5 Chow photo from iStockphoto.)

I'm not sure if you can find this out or not, but if the purpose of running the ad is personal (something like "Congats, Fifi!" -- I'm not sure if this is done for dog shows, but it's often done by families of cast members in theater productions), then they MUST have your image for the ad -- no other Chow would do. In this case, you can get a very good price for your image. Or are they running the ad for their Chow-related business? In that case it's a business expense for them, and they expect to get some return -- so you could also charge a good price in this case.

Whatever you end up doing, make it clear that a license for advertising use is separate from a personal-use print. In other words, they should not buy a print from you at your normal price, then turn around and have it scanned for the ad. Nor should they be printing personal-use copies from the digital file you provide for ad usage.

It's obvious they really like your photo. Personally, I would quote them at 100% of the ad cost for B&W or 80% of the ad cost for color, but tell them that I would include a nice print for their personal use -- perhaps 8x12. (Because they would want one, and unfortunately they would probably print your digital file anyway, despite your restrictions.) I'd also include a quote for me to design their ad -- because I'm a reasonably competent designer and I imagine it would be a low-maintenance job. (Up-sell and cross-sell wherever possible!)

If they balked at my quote, and IF the ad was being run in my local area, I would offer to come down in price in exchange for a photo credit with my website address in their ad (20% to 50% depending on size of credit and if they let me use my logo) -- that would be great cross-promotion if I enjoyed pet photography. (Obviously I would not offer the "free" personal print in this case.) Either way, if they don't bite, I would thank them for their interest and point them to my price list for personal-use prints.

But that's just me -- you should definitely do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Sorry this turned out to be so long! I hope this helps you!
    -- Austin
    Thanks for implementing bulk digital downloads, SmugMug!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    I know this is terrible to do ....but somewhere amidst all the info here on Dgrin is a thread for you....it has a website linked that allows you to fill in info and get a close price quote on the desired photo work......danged if I can remember the website name.........might just do some GOOGLING also for it...........

EDIT:::::::
    Found one of them:

http://www.photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 29, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:

That was a nice thought, but I'm pretty sure that site won't be useful in this situation. The lowest distribution that site mentions is "10,000 or less" -- which is quoted in the several hundreds of dollars in every case. That's far beyond the use mentioned (a dog show program ad).
    -- Austin
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2010
    Thanks All!
    I got my sale and I'm pretty happy (and learned a TON) and I think the clients are pleased as well. Thanks so much for all of the help!!

Meghan wings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2010
    I got my sale and I'm pretty happy (and learned a TON) and I think the clients are pleased as well. Thanks so much for all of the help!!

Congratulations! thumb.gif

Do you care to share how it turned out for the benefit of other Dgrinners who may happen across this thread in the future? (You can omit specific dollar amounts if you'd prefer.)
    -- Austin
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    akurtz wrote:
    Congratulations! thumb.gif

Do you care to share how it turned out for the benefit of other Dgrinners who may happen across this thread in the future? (You can omit specific dollar amounts if you'd prefer.)
    Ok, here's how it played out: I gave them an initial offer of $75 (based on some advice from another professional) and they balked a bit at this price. I told them I was willing to work with them on the price and they understood that I am new to this type of work. We talked a day later and they said that most of the photographers who are involved in the dog shows will give a client two printed images for $25-$35 and that the client is then allowed to use those images in a printed ad. (I personally think this is crazy low, but that's just me!) Anyway, I finally settled with them for $30 for a digital image with a one-time, non-exclusive use of it for their ad and I also added in that they could use the image for their personal use and enjoyment. On my end I also will receive a credit in the ad and a copy of it. I'm pretty happy with how this has turned out, but I'm not quite sure that I want to get involved in the whole dog show thing. Maybe I'll try one out and then we'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Congrats clap.gif

I think for your first "sale", it went well. The exposure alone is worth more then $35-40 lol
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    DigitalMom wrote:
    Congrats clap.gif

I think for your first "sale", it went well. The exposure alone is worth more then $35-40 lol
    $30? srsly? headscratch.gif

Exposure to what? when was the last time you remembered the name of the photographer of a picture in a brochure/magazine?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Hi! My name is Meghan and I decided to make the transition from hobby photographer to pro this year. I've been working really hard on my business, doing as much as I can during my free time after my "real" job, fully expecting that my future client's needs (and requests for work) would catch up with the business planning end of things a few months down the road. So far it hasn't really worked out that way!

My problem is this: On Saturday, I took some shots at my local dog wash of the customer's pooches. One of these dogs is a 3-month-old champion Chow Chow puppy. I gave her owners my business card and set up a gallery on the web for them. As it turns out they are interested in using one of my photos in a print ad for the Chow National in April. I was NOT expecting my very first sale to be for a single digital image, much less for a print ad. I have absolutely NO idea how to proceed with pricing, agreements/contracts, etc...

I currently live in Annapolis, MD if that helps at all.

I'd really appreciate any responses you have, I'd like to get back to them as quickly as possible (you know, so they don't see the man behind the curtain!) as they may be future clients.

Thanks so much!!

Meghan
    Define "pro" please.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    Define "pro" please.

"Pro" being someone who is paid and sought out for photographic work.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    "Pro" being someone who is paid and sought out for photographic work.
    That would mean this guy is a "pro"
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=157917

Pro is such a loosely used word these days. I think we should come up with another term for the real pro's in this day and age. Super Pro maybe?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    The Mack wrote:

Pro is such a loosely used word these days. I think we should come up with another term for the real pro's in this day and age. Super Pro maybe?

Hey, ease up, Mack. If you wanted to chime in constructively, the time for that would have been before she made the sale. And she didn't claim to be a pro.
    ...I decided to make the transition from hobby photographer to pro this year.

She's doing the right thing by coming here for help and advice.

Kudos on your first sale, Meghan! Don't be discouraged by naysayers -- I think you handled that situation just fine!
    -- Austin
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    The Mack wrote:

Exposure to what? when was the last time you remembered the name of the photographer of a picture in a brochure/magazine?

Gotta agree with Eric on this one Lisa

The Mack wrote:

Also gotta agree here. Last I remember, at least according to the guidelines set fourth by Canon's CPS program, at least half your income has to come from photography to be considered a "Pro"
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    akurtz wrote:
    Hey, ease up, Mack. If you wanted to chime in constructively, the time for that would have been before she made the sale. And she didn't claim to be a pro.

She's doing the right thing by coming here for help and advice.

Kudos on your first sale, Meghan! Don't be discouraged by naysayers -- I think you handled that situation just fine!
    Ease up? I'm being as "easy" as can be. I think she got ripped off. $30 for a print ad at a national show? They could put that picture (one time) in the nytimes as an ad for $30. Fair? You tell me. As far as the time to chime in, the thread is still open.

She said she went from hobbyist to pro, which to me, means she's claiming to be a pro.

It might not be what she wanted to hear, or you wanted to hear, but the truth is the truth.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    The Mack wrote:

Look, I realize that $30 isn't ideal. However, it's important to remember that we all have to start somewhere. This mere $30 could turn into an actual portrait session where they pay a sitting fee and purchase a package of images. Not to mention that the champion dog community is relatively small. If they like my work- and they do- they are likely to pass my name onto their friends and colleges in that circle. Also, this publication is not nationally distributed. It is printed for the Chow market for this one annual event and the proceeds go to supporting that group. The client and I discussed the fact that they look at this ad as a support donation to the organization, and they weren't even considering placing an ad until they saw my images. It will certainly require a different pricing strategy if and when they come to me for an image to use when breeding this dog.

With this one "small" sale I've made contact with a real, interested client who has the potential to increase my exposure to a countless number of people in my target market. Not only that, but I also proved to my client that I can shoot an great image off the cuff, respond to their inquiries and negotiate in a professional manner, and provide a high-quality product.

As a first sale it was not what I expected, but for the circumstances I'm happy with the outcome and feel that this will do nothing but boost my fledgling business. Do I expect to work at this cost forever? No, I want to make a living at this. But, like I said, we all have to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Gotta agree with Eric on this one Lisa [...] Last I remember, at least according to the guidelines set fourth by Canon's CPS program, at least half your income has to come from photography to be considered a "Pro"

Sorry, Meghan -- usually DGrin is more friendly to people who are just starting out and ask for advice. These people clearly didn't read your original post carefully enough. You're not claiming to be a pro, and you did what was best for your business in this situation.

The price was appropriate for a small dog show program (NOT a magazine), and the exposure it gets you will be far more valuable than the licensing fee you were paid -- especially since you're just starting out. That's many real people who will have a specific connection to your photo (good chow dog photo at a chow dog show), and I wouldn't be surprised if it netted you several inquires. It's a good start.
    -- Austin
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Look, I realize that $30 isn't ideal. However, it's important to remember that we all have to start somewhere. This mere $30 could turn into an actual portrait session where they pay a sitting fee and purchase a package of images. Not to mention that the champion dog community is relatively small. If they like my work- and they do- they are likely to pass my name onto their friends and colleges in that circle. Also, this publication is not nationally distributed. It is printed for the Chow market for this one annual event and the proceeds go to supporting that group. The client and I discussed the fact that they look at this ad as a support donation to the organization, and they weren't even considering placing an ad until they saw my images. It will certainly require a different pricing strategy if and when they come to me for an image to use when breeding this dog.

With this one "small" sale I've made contact with a real, interested client who has the potential to increase my exposure to a countless number of people in my target market. Not only that, but I also proved to my client that I can shoot an great image off the cuff, respond to their inquiries and negotiate in a professional manner, and provide a high-quality product.

As a first sale it was not what I expected, but for the circumstances I'm happy with the outcome and feel that this will do nothing but boost my fledgling business. Do I expect to work at this cost forever? No, I want to make a living at this. But, like I said, we all have to start somewhere.

First off a National Championship dog isn't a small community. And while I'm glad you were able to make your first sale, you may get some work out of it. However, the client is more then likely going to tell their friends that this photographer is cheap, look at what I got and the price I paid for it.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    akurtz wrote:
    Sorry, Meghan -- usually DGrin is more friendly to people who are just starting out and ask for advice. These people clearly didn't read your original post carefully enough. You're not claiming to be a pro, and you did what was best for your business in this situation.

The price was appropriate for a small dog show program (NOT a magazine), and the exposure it gets you will be far more valuable than the licensing fee you were paid -- especially since you're just starting out. That's many real people who will have a specific connection to your photo (good chow dog photo at a chow dog show), and I wouldn't be surprised if it netted you several inquires. It's a good start.

I see your new around here with only 10 posts. Eric was right, to many people now days think they are "pros" because they run out and buy a camera, take a few pictures and sell one or two. To me, and many other people thats not a "pro".
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    She said she went from hobbyist to pro, which to me, means she's claiming to be a pro.

To make it clear to EVERYONE who is slamming the OP, I'll quote her here one last time...
    ...I decided to [HIGHLIGHT]make the transition[/HIGHLIGHT] from hobby photographer to pro this year.

Is that not clear?

Just be polite and offer constructive criticism.
    -- Austin
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Gotta agree with Eric on this one Lisa

Also gotta agree here. Last I remember, at least according to the guidelines set fourth by Canon's CPS program, at least half your income has to come from photography to be considered a "Pro"
    I don't consider myself a "pro" as of yet. But I'm also not a hobby photographer now anymore either. That's where the word "transition" comes into play. I'm working on building my business, figuring out a pricing strategy, gaining a good client base, etc...

I'm not here claiming to be a "pro", I'm just asking for help and support. Will I make mistakes? YES. Will I learn from them and move on? YES. Am I unhappy with my first transaction? NO.

I appreciate the differing opinions on this issue. And please know that I'm seriously committed to supporting the professional photography industry by setting my prices fairly and in such a manner that will be able to support me. I haven't quit my day job yet, but it is my goal to one day go full-time. As of now, I'm working on a pricing strategy to implement now that would compensate for the loss of my current $55,000/year salary (in fact I'd like to give myself a nice raise) once I do go full time. I don't intend on going into photography full time so I can work like a dog handing out $30 copies of my work to every Tom, Dick, and Harry, but this is a FIRST. It's all up from here...price-wise at least.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    akurtz wrote:
    To make it clear to EVERYONE who is slamming the OP, I'll quote her here one last time...

Is that not clear?

Just be polite and offer constructive criticism.
    I'm not "slamming" her. I'm telling her that I think she was ripped off.

To make it clear... She said the following...

Bold 1 - means she's going from hobby to pro in 2010. It's Feb 5th, 2010, means the year has started.

Bold 2 - she's been doing the business planning, part of which is knowing how to market yourself and what your worth.

Bold 3 - says it hasn't worked out that well, to me, that means she's been doing what she can to make it as a pro...

If you would like me to be a real asshole, I can. I'd rather not, as I don't even know her. But digitalmom can vouch that I can be a real asshole if need be.

Are you a member of any other forums for photography?

Try not to be so sensitive. Everything you're told isn't always sugar and sweet, sometimes there is some sour stuff mixed in there.

OP should take this as a learning experience (the sale) and go forward with her desires. We all learn from everything.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    I don't consider myself a "pro" as of yet. But I'm also not a hobby photographer now anymore either. That's where the word "transition" comes into play. I'm working on building my business, figuring out a pricing strategy, gaining a good client base, etc...

I'm not here claiming to be a "pro", I'm just asking for help and support. Will I make mistakes? YES. Will I learn from them and move on? YES. Am I unhappy with my first transaction? NO.

I appreciate the differing opinions on this issue. And please know that I'm seriously committed to supporting the professional photography industry by setting my prices fairly and in such a manner that will be able to support me. I haven't quit my day job yet, but it is my goal to one day go full-time. As of now, I'm working on a pricing strategy to implement now that would compensate for the loss of my current $55,000/year salary (in fact I'd like to give myself a nice raise) once I do go full time. I don't intend on going into photography full time so I can work like a dog handing out $30 copies of my work to every Tom, Dick, and Harry, but this is a FIRST. It's all up from here...price-wise at least.

Got a website/flickr/blog or anything?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    First off a National Championship dog isn't a small community. And while I'm glad you were able to make your first sale, you may get some work out of it. However, the client is more then likely going to tell their friends that this photographer is cheap, look at what I got and the price I paid for it.

We're not talking Westminster here... Yes, it's a national show/convention, but for only one breed of dog. That is much smaller. And on top of that it's not like I'm going to be traveling from the East Coast to the West Coast to photograph some LA chow. The East Coast circle of chow owners is now even smaller.

They can tell them what I accepted as a price, but that doesn't mean that I have to take every low-ball offer that comes my way. I'm not even sure that this is a market I care to stay in. But for the sake of my business I have to test the waters and figure it out for myself.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    Got a website/flickr/blog or anything?

My blog/website is at: meghansenkelphotography.com

My SmugMug site is at: http://meghansenkelphotography.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    I'm not "slamming" her. I'm telling her that I think she was ripped off.

To make it clear... She said the following...

Bold 1 - means she's going from hobby to pro in 2010. It's Feb 5th, 2010, means the year has started.

Bold 2 - she's been doing the business planning, part of which is knowing how to market yourself and what your worth.

Bold 3 - says it hasn't worked out that well, to me, that means she's been doing what she can to make it as a pro...

If you would like me to be a real asshole, I can. I'd rather not, as I don't even know her. But digitalmom can vouch that I can be a real asshole if need be.

Are you a member of any other forums for photography?

Try not to be so sensitive. Everything you're told isn't always sugar and sweet, sometimes there is some sour stuff mixed in there.

OP should take this as a learning experience (the sale) and go forward with her desires. We all learn from everything.
    Regarding your bold #3: the word is "way" not "well". Things are working out "well", but not the "way" or order that I imagined they would. Life has this interesting way of throwing you curve balls.

I'm not here for sugar coating and sweetness. Life's a bitch and if I have any intention of running a successful business and not going back to my nine-to-five, then I want the dirty, grimy side of things. I have a lot to learn, but I'm an adult and can take your constructive criticism. Without that I have nothing but pipe dreams and fairy dust and you can't take that to the bank. I want to succeed at this and make a living. I don't want to be another member in the ranks of failure.

Hey, and if you're going to be an "asshole", don't do it to me. I haven't done anything to deserve your wrath.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Children, children ... please don't fight
    First things first - Meghan good on you for closing the sale. It would appear from your discussion here that you did, indeed, handle it in an appropriately professional manner. And, I agree, you will get limited visibility from the ad .... not as much as you might like, but more than nothing.

Second issue - posts like the two following ... I'm usually able to ignore and let it go. But there's been a pattern and it's been getting to me, so... Just my $.02 worth
    Take a look at this page for an idea of what it means to be a "National Champion" - the criteria are not very exclusive. That having been said, and having had some small experience in the matter some years ago, the individual breed communities do tend to be quite tightly knit - lots of cross-talk and networking. Will the client spread her name? Probably. Will the client mention the low rate paid? Probably. Will Meghan be able to rise above it? Sure, it simply a matter of expression, "That was then, this is now" - of course using much more PC language. She might get the next sale, she might not. Next...
    I see your new around here with only 10 posts. Eric was right, to many people now days think they are "pros" because they run out and buy a camera, take a few pictures and sell one or two. To me, and many other people thats not a "pro".
    Ummmm ... Yeah, a clear case of "People in glass houses ...". I have 10 times the posts you have and have been around here a couple more days than you. Does that matter? Does that make my opinion more valid than yours? I don't think so. The reverse is also true.

As for comments/definitions RE: "pro" .... Please consider/remember that point that has been made more than once. The OP did not and does not (yet) claim to be pro. She does have a very reasonable goal of making a living doing what she loves and for which she has obvious talent. She will, eventually, get to the point where she will qualify, by your definition, as a pro.

OK, now that I've gotten that off my chest ... we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    First things first - Meghan good on you for closing the sale. It would appear from your discussion here that you did, indeed, handle it in an appropriately professional manner. And, I agree, you will get limited visibility from the ad .... not as much as you might like, but more than nothing.

Second issue - posts like the two following ... I'm usually able to ignore and let it go. But there's been a pattern and it's been getting to me, so... Just my $.02 worth

Take a look at this page for an idea of what it means to be a "National Champion" - the criteria are not very exclusive. That having been said, and having had some small experience in the matter some years ago, the individual breed communities do tend to be quite tightly knit - lots of cross-talk and networking. Will the client spread her name? Probably. Will the client mention the low rate paid? Probably. Will Meghan be able to rise above it? Sure, it simply a matter of expression, "That was then, this is now" - of course using much more PC language. She might get the next sale, she might not. Next...

Ummmm ... Yeah, a clear case of "People in glass houses ...". I have 10 times the posts you have and have been around here a couple more days than you. Does that matter? Does that make my opinion more valid than yours? Didn't think so. The reverse is also true.

As for comments/definitions RE: "pro" .... Please consider/remember that point that has been made more than once. The OP did not and does not (yet) claim to be pro. She does have a very reasonable goal of making a living doing what she loves and for which she has obvious talent. She will, eventually, get to the point where she will qualify, by your definition, as a pro.

OK, now that I've gotten that off my check ... we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thank you, Scott! I appreciate you input tremendously.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    OK, now that I've gotten that off my chest ... we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks, Scott -- well said.
    -- Austin
  • Options
    DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    First off...yes, Eric (The Mack) can be an asshole if needed but on the other hand, he does offer some good advice. I've known Eric a while and as I don't always agree, I at least take into consideration what he has to say.

Jeremy...I don't think post count has anything to do with if you're a "pro" or not. I do agree that sometimes that term is used way to loosely, but I definitely don't think that post count can determine whether or not someone is a pro.

Now back to my original congrats. I said that because she sold her first print, whether digital or print. Regardless of if she got $30 for it or $300 for it, it sold. Plain and simple. Everyone has to start some where and being new to the game, she closed the deal. That's all that matters. Will a lesson be learned for next time? Maybe, but that's up to Meghan. Will her prices increase and the "haggling" be obsolete in the next deal? Probably.

When I said she would get exposure, I sure wasn't meaning National Geographic. Someone is going to see that picture and possibly retain her name for the future. Even if it's for something else. She could request that her web site be listed along with her name. At the stage of the game where she is at, it's all about driving the traffic to your site. You want people to see what you can offer, not just pictures of a dog.

Exposure is everything and it's all about getting your name out there when you're starting out.

So my congrats stands :) And I do hope you get future business out of it.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    DigitalMom wrote:
    First off...yes, Eric (The Mack) can be an asshole if needed but on the other hand, he does offer some good advice. I've known Eric a while and as I don't always agree, I at least take into consideration what he has to say.

Jeremy...I don't think post count has anything to do with if you're a "pro" or not. I do agree that sometimes that term is used way to loosely, but I definitely don't think that post count can determine whether or not someone is a pro.

Now back to my original congrats. I said that because she sold her first print, whether digital or print. Regardless of if she got $30 for it or $300 for it, it sold. Plain and simple. Everyone has to start some where and being new to the game, she closed the deal. That's all that matters. Will a lesson be learned for next time? Maybe, but that's up to Meghan. Will her prices increase and the "haggling" be obsolete in the next deal? Probably.

When I said she would get exposure, I sure wasn't meaning National Geographic. Someone is going to see that picture and possibly retain her name for the future. Even if it's for something else. She could request that her web site be listed along with her name. At the stage of the game where she is at, it's all about driving the traffic to your site. You want people to see what you can offer, not just pictures of a dog.

Exposure is everything and it's all about getting your name out there when you're starting out.

So my congrats stands :) And I do hope you get future business out of it.

Thanks, Lisa! Your words are much appreciated!