Whipping Post: Self Policing

2»

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    If you look in the dictionary under nice it says "see Behret" and has a picture of my smiling face. roflol.gif

yes, i just checked miriam-webster:
    3349214-L.jpg
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yes, i just checked miriam-webster:
    See what did I tell you. Look at the face. It just has niceness radiating from it. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    See what did I tell you. Look at the face. It just has niceness radiating from it. thumb.gif

Yea, and a couple tokes from the nearest stash... 123.gif
    edited August 14, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Yea, and a couple tokes from the nearest stash... 123.gif
    In those days the nearest stash was usually quite close. :):
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    If you look in the dictionary under nice it says "see Behret" and has a picture of my smiling face. roflol.gif
    Harry don't lie on ya back kicking like that.. you'll do ya'self a damage...:uhoh
    edited August 15, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Harry don't lie on ya back kicking like that.. you'll do ya'self a damage...:uhoh
    Too late :hurt
    Harry
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    Spelling
    For what it's worth since others brought it up in this thread - there is a free IE6 plug-in which will spell check your posts before you hit Submit Reply. You just right-click in the response box after you are through entering your text and click on "Check Spelling." It also give you recommendations and choices just like normal spell check in most word processors with the ability to add acronyms and the like to the dictionary so you don't have to keep clicking ignore. It works with any browser input box like the ones on most discussion boards.

Web Site Link: IE Spell

Regretfully (in my case), it doesn't check for grammar or correctly spelled words which are misused (my nemesis). :D

If you use Internet Explorer go ahead and try it - you might like it.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    Thanks, Dixie!

Wonderful, will upload/download, whichever, sooonest. I have it marked.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    Now for my on-topic post and observations about the Whipping Post and critiquing in general.

Notes to the Whippers: In the "sticky," Wax or Andy (paraphrasing here) said to say something nice and then give your critique of the work. That's a very good philosophy to follow. However, when putting forth a negative critique one should still stay positive. By that I mean, if you say something is off or bad then you should give suggestions and procedures on how to fix it. I know that I accept criticism much better if the person who is doing the "whipping" takes my hand and helps to show me a way to the light at the end of the tunnel. ...and finally, don't be rude and nasty as I have seen a few be (thankfully, very few).

Notes to the Whippees: It helps when you make a post, whether in the Whipping Post or one of the other posting forums, to tell the observer/critic what you were trying to show or the story you were trying to convey with the image. Many times that will help make sure that you get the proper feedback. Some times the image stands alone in accomplishing that. However, there are other times when a little text goes a long way to insure the proper critique. By telling the observer/critic what you are trying to accomplish, the critique can then also include their thoughts as to how well you met or missed your objective. As an example, if you are using shallow DOF to bring out or cause others to concentrate on a particular area in an image and isolate it from the other elements, you should say so. The critic can then tell you how well you did or didn't do as the case may be in accomplishing your objective. If you don't tell the observer that fact up front, then the critique will probably address how miserably you screwed up with your DOF. Of course, the critique should also include other observations concerning the image as to the techniques used and when applicable to include fixes and suggestions. Telling someone to "photoshop" it is NOT a fix or suggestion even it that is what they need to do. A fix or suggestion should include an outline of the steps required. If the Whippee needs further help, they can come back to you.

As with most endeavors, photography has a learning curve associated with it. Our collective goal should be to further both the art and the science of photography for all dgrinners. That means that we should try to gently push/pull each other over the hump without sending anyone cascading head over heels down the wrong slope or have them give up due to either frustration or disgust.

Now, if Smugmug gets back on-line I can go back to enjoying everyone's photos. :D
    awesome, dixie. i'm copying your post to the "sticky threads" in this forum... wtg!
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    Blush!!! Thanks, Andy. Gee, I made a "sticky." clap.gif

Funning aside, I'm flattered.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 17, 2005
    Something that's extremely important to remember when reading your
    review (or anything for that matter) is that you don't have the benefit
    of facial expression, tone of voice or any other in-person queues.

What was intended to be tongue-in-cheek by the writer might well
    be the opposite for the reader.

Take a moment to review what you wrote from the reader's perspective.
    When you're satisfied, then hit submit.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?