Options

*** I need your help ***

13»

Comments

• Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Ivar..I can see a lot of people are pushing to get the kids out of the house...BUT, I don't think it is as easy as saying "kids" there vs. "portrait/modeling/adults" here. What about for instance-- VacayMom's post this week with her studio work of a 1 year old.... Or a studio shot I did of a baby (which happened to WIN the Sharp Shooters #46 "Green" Challenge this week, btw!!!). Not liking the discrimination of putting "kids/babies" in a subforum headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Ivar..I can see a lot of people are pushing to get the kids out of the house...BUT, I don't think it is as easy as saying "kids" there vs. "portrait/modeling/adults" here. What about for instance-- VacayMom's post this week with her studio work of a 1 year old.... Or a studio shot I did of a baby (which happened to WIN the Sharp Shooters #46 "Green" Challenge this week, btw!!!). Not liking the discrimination of putting "kids/babies" in a subforum headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

I'm feeling a bit the same way. The type of photography I'm striving to become better at is not studio portraiture, and I'm not exactly sure how to describe it other than that I like using natural light. I practice mostly on my kids and kids of friends. I try to steer clear of posting what I consider to be "snapshots" but of photos that have had some thought behind composition, lighting, processing, and technique.

I'm not a professional, but I do appreciate and look up to the advice from this forum. I do learn a lot from lurking, even for subjects I don't feel proficient at, like studio lighting. I do try to post responses when I feel I have something constructive to throw in. I know "great job" isn't very constructive, but sometimes it's nice to hear anyway!

I understand that the flow of information and feedback may be slow at times, but I think the discssions and challenges (more frequent) are great ideas to generate some new energy, if that's what we're after.

My two cents; I hope it's worth something! :D

And thanks again to everyone who really makes this forum as great as it is!
    Kristen
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Ivar -

Can I ask if there was something specific to prompt you considering changes to the forum, or was it just in a continuing effort to make it the best it can be?

The current arrangement is pretty darned good and, while it may not please all of the people all of the time, seems like the majority prefer keeping it as one unified "people" category. Perhaps regular posters could start a protocol of quite specific labelling of subject lines (eg "Kids" "Family" "Seniors" "Studio" "Lighting practice" "Posing practice" etc etc), in advance of the ability to tag? That might make it easier for those who DON'T want to look at more snapshot/informal pictures to avoid those. ALthough really, I'm not sure the volume/speed of the people forum is so thick and fast to make it that hard to weed through things.

In any case, I do think that trying to add too many sub-boards is actually going to split the relatively small readership into too many small groups and wind up benefitting nobody.

After reading all these responses I'm actually getting a strong sense of... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!!!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    kris10jo wrote:
    kidzmom wrote:

I'm feeling a bit the same way. The type of photography I'm striving to become better at is not studio portraiture, and I'm not exactly sure how to describe it other than that I like using natural light. I practice mostly on my kids and kids of friends. I try to steer clear of posting what I consider to be "snapshots" but of photos that have had some thought behind composition, lighting, processing, and technique.

I'm not a professional, but I do appreciate and look up to the advice from this forum. I do learn a lot from lurking, even for subjects I don't feel proficient at, like studio lighting. I do try to post responses when I feel I have something constructive to throw in. I know "great job" isn't very constructive, but sometimes it's nice to hear anyway!

I understand that the flow of information and feedback may be slow at times, but I think the discssions and challenges (more frequent) are great ideas to generate some new energy, if that's what we're after.

My two cents; I hope it's worth something! :D

And thanks again to everyone who really makes this forum as great as it is!
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the kids-sub-forum either; Again, it is *an* option. It wouldn't be a discriminatory move as I am concerned, but rather a move to put a group of same type shots together, either 'pro' or 'nonpro' level ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    Ivar -

Can I ask if there was something specific to prompt you considering changes to the forum, or was it just in a continuing effort to make it the best it can be?
    Just a continuing effort, nothing specific. I love the forum as is :D

The only thing I did/do have in mind was that I wanted to up the comments & participation a bit; I'm not saying it is bad now (I think it is about average for any forum) but I think it could benefit people.

I also wanted to ask you (people shooters/forum members) for ideas since normally a lot of things come from our (mod/admin) side. We are only a few and you as a group are with many more, having many more ideas, hopefully :D
    divamum wrote:
    The current arrangement is pretty darned good and, while it may not please all of the people all of the time, seems like the majority prefer keeping it as one unified "people" category. Perhaps regular posters could start a protocol of quite specific labelling of subject lines (eg "Kids" "Family" "Seniors" "Studio" "Lighting practice" "Posing practice" etc etc), in advance of the ability to tag? That might make it easier for those who DON'T want to look at more snapshot/informal pictures to avoid those. ALthough really, I'm not sure the volume/speed of the people forum is so thick and fast to make it that hard to weed through things.

In any case, I do think that trying to add too many sub-boards is actually going to split the relatively small readership into too many small groups and wind up benefitting nobody.

After reading all these responses I'm actually getting a strong sense of... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!!!
    It is actually funny, but when I posted this thread I really had not considered splitting or something similar. And to be honest, I'm still not convinced it will benefit the forum. I think we may just create multiple 'mini-people' forums. I was, and still am somewhat, also a bit surprised at the amount of people who suggested it.

I think an important thing to remember is that if we will make a change, it has to be an improvement for the forum and the shooters, not just for a specific type of shooters. Some of the suggestions could potentially be a nice improvement for one group, but not so for another.

When I started this thread I was actually more looking for things that people wanted to 'participate' in, like the discussion thing for instance, to get the amount of activity up a bit.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    I'm with Diva on the "If it aint' broke..don't fix" sentiment--and I just hope it ain't broke :) Also feeling a bit slighted as I think kid/baby pics shouldn't be given the bad rap they seem to be getting..ie baby/kid shots automatically mean less professional in quality which simply isn't true. I also agree that there aren't really that many posts to weed through. It is true that some may not be interested in the lastest newborn prop photography no matter how good it is! So maybe a split WOULD be good afterall.. Just thinking and brainstorming outloud. After reading some posts though, it makes me want to post EVEN LESS, Ivar...considering the seeming lack of interest in lifestyle-newborn-kid shots here. Perhaps some sort of a poll would give us a better idea of how people are really feeling. After reading the seeming disinterest in particular types shots though--I'd venture to guess that there will be even less posting (the exact opposite of what we hoped to gain from this thread).
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    I'm with Diva on the "If it aint' broke..don't fix" sentiment--and I just hope it ain't broke :)
    Oh it definitely is not broke, if you ask me :D and I think I just decided that I'm not going to 'fix' anything for now, as far as adding/splitting forums go.
    kidzmom wrote:
    Also feeling a bit slighted as I think kid/baby pics shouldn't be given the bad rap they seem to be getting..ie baby/kid shots automatically mean less professional in quality which simply isn't true. I also agree that there aren't really that many posts to weed through. It is true that some may not be interested in the lastest newborn prop photography no matter how good it is! So maybe a split WOULD be good afterall.. Just thinking and brainstorming outloud. After reading some posts though, it makes me want to post EVEN LESS, Ivar...considering the seeming lack of interest in lifestyle-newborn-kid shots here. Perhaps some sort of a poll would give us a better idea of how people are really feeling. After reading the seeming disinterest in particular types shots though--I'd venture to guess that there will be even less posting (the exact opposite of what we hoped to gain from this thread).
    I don't think that anyone is saying that baby/kids shot mean less quality, here? Baby/kids shots are an 'easy snapshot target', but that's something different, I think. We have plenty of great baby/kids shots in this forum thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    Okay, so, my thoughts on 'changes' at this time:
    • Do not split the forum/do not add a sub-forum.
    • Start a set of threads, the 'discussions'. Conversations on people shooting topics, like weddings has them on wedding topics. Topics ranging from 'amateur' level to 'pro' level to keep them interesting for everyone.
    • Start another set of threads, sort of like you see already sometimes, 'show us your .... shots'. I'd like as many people to contribute with example shots, but it can also contain tips/tricks on posing/help on that 'type' of shots. (or should that be part of the 'discussion' threads?)
    • change the entry period for the challenges to 2 weeks
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Sounds good Ivar. Thanks for all your hard work.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    Sounds good Ivar. Thanks for all your hard work.

++++++++1 nod.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    ++++++++1 nod.gifclap.gif
    +115524779-Ti.gifnod.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    clap.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Thanks, Ivar.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    clap.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Thanks, Ivar iloveyou.gif What an awesome moderator!
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    clap.gif Thanks, Ivar!
    Kristen
  • Options
    Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    Okay, so, my thoughts on 'changes' at this time:
    • Do not split the forum/do not add a sub-forum.
    • Start a set of threads, the 'discussions'. Conversations on people shooting topics, like weddings has them on wedding topics. Topics ranging from 'amateur' level to 'pro' level to keep them interesting for everyone.
    • Start another set of threads, sort of like you see already sometimes, 'show us your .... shots'. I'd like as many people to contribute with example shots, but it can also contain tips/tricks on posing/help on that 'type' of shots. (or should that be part of the 'discussion' threads?)
    • change the entry period for the challenges to 2 weeks

What about an assignment type thread to go along with the challenges. Something where some one running the show could post up an informative post about a technique with a few examples and the specifics and people could do their own shooting based on the assignment to further their skills and knowledge?

I'm doing something similar on another forum with bi-weekly lighting assignments where I'll post a thread with the assignment and a post describing the technique, how to use it, and some example shots.

These are good for getting people that have the equipment and have been following sites like Strobist a place where they can practice and get feedback and answers for their questions.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    What about an assignment type thread to go along with the challenges. Something where some one running the show could post up an informative post about a technique with a few examples and the specifics and people could do their own shooting based on the assignment to further their skills and knowledge?

I'm doing something similar on another forum with bi-weekly lighting assignments where I'll post a thread with the assignment and a post describing the technique, how to use it, and some example shots.

These are good for getting people that have the equipment and have been following sites like Strobist a place where they can practice and get feedback and answers for their questions.
    I *think* that what you are suggesting is similar to/can be part of the third item on my list. I'm going to incorporate that in the discussions I think.

If not, let me know exactly how it differs and I may start that later. I first want to see how the new discussion threads do, and not add too many things at the same time thumb.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    clap.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Thanks, Ivar.

and one more
    clap.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif

for good measure :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    ChatKat wrote:
    One of the suggestions that I made to Baldy or Andy at WPPI was that we actually do need a Pro forum. While I don't mind making comments on the amatuer threads sometimes, I also see a need for a separate forum for the SmugMugPro - most of whom are people/wedding/event/portrait shooters.

thumb.gif Ditto.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2010
    Ed911 wrote:
    thumb.gif Ditto.
    Thanks for the feedback, Ed. As I said to Chatkat though, this is not really specific to the People forum question/suggestion I think.

Also, please remember that although Dgrin is sponsored by SmugMug (and except for some of the support forums) we don't specifically cater to SmugMuggers/Smugpros. Everyone is welcome here thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Since you have asked:

1) Kids are precious. Seriously.
    2) Vast majority of kids pictures (there are notable exceptions, but they are - exceptions) are snaps and most often suck
    3) Since parents are also photographers in this case, there is no way on Earth they would be able to listen to/accept the critique objectively

Bottom line: I'd suggest to dedicate a section for Kids (and if you combine it with Pets, you'd have my vote, too deal.gifmwink.gifthumb.gif )
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    I'm in late on this thread and have not read all of the responses but am having a problem with the comment " I'm not into studio portraits but more out of the studio with natural light". Artists paint with a palet of colors, we as photogrpahers paint with light. Wether in or outside we must do the same thing. Look for the light, proper posing, expression, there is no difference. You use reflectors, gobos, scrims etc to alter the light on the subject. You can create a kicker outside as well as subtractive lighting with scrims.
    I think the forms that are already in existence cover the spectrum. It is futile to try and please everyone. I think what is needed is more constructive criticism and maybe a more acceptance of it. Look to find the constructive criticism in however the criticism is administered. Posting ones photographs is the same as loving your child, at times they have faults but we work with them to overcome them and become better children/adults/photogrpahers.