Options

new canon 5d

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    hopefully there will be loads of cheap second hand 1dmk11's on sale soon.

and perhaps some 1Ds Mark IIs :uhoh
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    hopefully there will be loads of cheap second hand 1dmk11's on sale soon.
    Don't think so - a lot of 1DmkII users are sports shooters and 3fps is not a big draw for that crowd.

Hope I'm wrong - I could use a cheap backup :D
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    I'm with you on that and...
    wxwax wrote:
    Told you so. blbl.gif

Don't worry, 2 more years down the road and they'll have another one you'll want. It may never end.
    I agree!

Speaking as someone who is just off to the shop now to pick up his 20d and ef-s macro 60 I couldn't be less bothered- it looks great but expensive-maybe in a few years after I have come close to exploring the full functionality of my 20d ,if that ever happens,then I might see about picking up one of these on the secondhand market.

It looks like it will nicely fill a gap.

The Canon range now has pro- 1dsmk2,semi-pro /enthusiast(the new baby),enthusiast(20d) and consumer/enthusiast(350d)

My tip is that they won't discontinue 20d as it fills a logical place in the lineup-a full frame pro and a full frame semi-pro/enthusiast as the top grouping and a second layer with the aps-c 20d and 350d.

Between you and me I think that if Canon increases the range of efs lenses available, that the 20d will flourish in the travel and photojournalism market, due to light weight ,portability and manageable files sizes for uploading purposes.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Personally I think it's fake.

A friend said to me:
    "Canon has 3 DSLR categories: Pro (one digit: 1D+1Ds families), Prosumer (two digits: D30, D60, 10D, 20D families), Consumer (three digits: 300D, 350D families)

The 5D being a single digit falls into the Pro category and missing important pro features: a weather sealed body + 45 AF points + more..."
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited August 9, 2005
    The Canon 1Ds is getting old
    I kinda' wonder if this is positioned as a replacement for the 1Ds? (Not the MKII, but the original.) It has some upgrade features but the same (almost) resolution and shooting speed.

The 1Ds is about 3 years old, so I could see it happening.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    S. ReedS. Reed Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Anybody wanna buy a well used 10D? thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    S. Reed wrote:
    Anybody wanna buy a well used 10D? thumb.gif

betcha lotsa folks will be interested in that camera, put it up for sale in our b&s forum :D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited August 10, 2005
    Looking more into these specs... Q's
    Listed is an ISO-L @ 50. This is interesting; but needed? H is still 3200.

Why would the flash sync be limited to 1/200th when Canon has already moved beyond that to 1/250th with the 20D? Somehow, this doesn't make sense to me.

I also just noticed that the histogram seems to have two readouts: Brightness or RGB. Perhaps this is a setting with one of those extra custom functions?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    hmm
    andy wrote:
    return email from mr bowes{spliff}

ya gotta love amsterdam. in nyc, i'd tell him: "i'll take you out for a big steak, and some beerz..." lol3.gif
    remind me never to invite you to join me in a spliff
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Don't think so - a lot of 1DmkII users are sports shooters and 3fps is not a big draw for that crowd.

Hope I'm wrong - I could use a cheap backup :D
    There is a reference to a 1dmk11 N on the first page of the document
    http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf

That's why I'm hoping there will be a glut of mk11's at the end of the year clap.gif .
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    There is a reference to a 1dmk11 N on the first page of the document
    http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf

That's why I'm hoping there will be a glut of mk11's at the end of the year clap.gif .
    Yeah, the 1Ds MII will drop like crazy so to Andy, you'd better sell it to me for €1500 now or you'll never get rid of it mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    In all honesty, this 5D isn't really doing it for me. FF, ok. But I've now got used to getting a nice bit of close up with my 70-200. And as for more pixels? I shoot weddings and portraits. I don't need more pixels. Otherwise I've got to be yet more harddrives. I would've liked to have seen higher ISO and/or some image stabilisation functions.

I won't be queueing up on day one just yet...
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    In all honesty, this 5D isn't really doing it for me. FF, ok. But I've now got used to getting a nice bit of close up with my 70-200. And as for more pixels? I shoot weddings and portraits. I don't need more pixels. Otherwise I've got to be yet more harddrives. I would've liked to have seen higher ISO and/or some image stabilisation functions.

hey, to be sure, such a camera isn't for everyone - the 20d is an extremely capable camera, so there's got to be a reason for upgrading - for some, it might be the huge lcd screen, for on-site review - for others, it might be the added resolution, and ff bright optical viewfinder...

it's interesting to discuss, that's for sure :D
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    dpreview and fredmiranda are all agog over a possible leak on the new canon camera. i have just spoken to the guy that authored this document and after 15 mins on the phone with jim bowes from his office in the netherlands, i'm at this point willing to say that the info is legit and real.

pretty darn cool if you ask me :D

discuss.
    How about hitting the redial and asking Ol Jim if he can send out the spec sheet for the 1DmkII-N. You know us Dgrinners can keep a secrete mwink.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    Ruud G.Ruud G. Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    5d?????????
    yvonne wrote:

I agree with that, Now I have the 20D, and I really like the camera.
    No more pixels needed and because we most of the time use the 100-400mm in southern africa on safari...I wait a while..thumb.gif

Ruud

http://www.afrikafotosafari.nl
    http://www.afrikafotosafari.nl

Canon D60/20D, 17-35,75-300IS USM, 100-400MM Kenko x2 convertor. Manfrotto tripods/monopods
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    I got a chance to speak with a Canon regional rep a few months back during a dog-and-pony show at my local store. I had asked him about the Mark II versus my 20D. I told him I liked much about the Mark II, but liked the 1.6X crop factor because of my sports photography (which wants telephoto, not wide angle). He said don't hold your breath on a 1.6 crop factor Mark II. He said most pros don't like the 1.3 crop factor already, and a 1.6 would be worse. They want the large viewfinder, the ease of manual focus. They also want the shallow depth of field that full frame gives. As per crop factor, the big pros simply buy bigger glass. I guess its people like me who need to compensate focal length with sensor size. :D

Now, what would not surprise me any is the consumer and pro-sumer line stays 1.6 with the EF-S mount, and the 1.3 body disappears, leaving only 1.6 and full-frame in the line up.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    Your Canon guy makes a lot of sense. Bigger image in the viewfinder and easier manual focus are big deals, for me.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Oh no, what am I going to do now, when is it going to end:help
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    ... when is it going to end:help
    Hopefully, never! Compared to the technology of 10 years ago (heck, even 5 years ago) I love this time for anything to do with images, still and motion. It just gets better and better, and generally cheaper too. mwink.gif

If we could get lenses to come down in price at the same rate as cameras and computers ...

I can't wait to see in 10 years what is available.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    \

thumb.gif sign me up

Price, but not the most expensive, so if it is 3800 Euros, does that mean it will be $4800 USD? ear.gif Not horrible, but not great. It would be an awesome backpack/landscape camera.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Price, but not the most expensive, so if it is 3800 Euros, does that mean it will be $4800 USD? ear.gif Not horrible, but not great. It would be an awesome backpack/landscape camera.
    I'm wondering how good a wedding/portrait camera it would be, especially for those that can't afford the 16MP 1Ds Mark II. If this camera is real, what market and end-user is Canon trying to hit?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm wondering how good a wedding/portrait camera it would be, especially for those that can't afford the 16MP 1Ds Mark II. If this camera is real, what market and end-user is Canon trying to hit?

I don't know if it will be a good wedding camera, yes for wide angle and small size, but 12mp is getting really big for weddings. ne_nau.gif If the high ISO's were very noise free that would make it a huge plus for weddings. Portraits, the mpx could be very useful for large wall prints.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

see this post on page one of this thread.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    see this post on page one of this thread.

11doh.gif Thanks, I thought this later doc has a higher euro price (3698). ne_nau.gif

I guess I am waiting to see when the US is going to start paying more now that the dollar is less than the Euro, but I guess all that matters is the Yen? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    11doh.gif Thanks, I thought this later doc has a higher euro price (3698). ne_nau.gif

I guess I am waiting to see when the US is going to start paying more now that the dollar is less than the Euro, but I guess all that matters is the Yen? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    prices in euro and dollar are roughly the same for camera equipment. A 1d mk11 is €4,200 here and is $4,000 in the US. So the 5d should be around $3.500.

shay
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    prices in euro and dollar are roughly the same for camera equipment. A 1d mk11 is €4,200 here and is $4,000 in the US. So the 5d should be around $3.500.

shay

$3500 is a lot better then $4800 or whatever a direct conversion would be. clap.gifthumb.gif

I'll wait two weeks after andy gets his and wants to sell it. blbl.gif
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    $3500 is a lot better then $4800 or whatever a direct conversion would be. clap.gifthumb.gif

I'll wait two weeks after andy gets his and wants to sell it. blbl.gif

rolleyes1.gif