Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 24, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    Soon....
    From Adobe Labs: Painting and warping:

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BShE_jS8jLE&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Intelligent spot healing:

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xtQs-oS92xc&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

That last one looks pretty neat.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,873 moderator
    edited March 24, 2010
    Too cool. thumb.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 24, 2010
    Content Aware patching is remarkable.

I have used the content aware scaling/cropping at times in CS4, but CA patching will be very useful.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Already?! Didn't they just come out with cs4?

Oh yea, yay for another heal brush, to heal away photography.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    ¢$5
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Of course, that too, Ric!

One can always use Gimp, for free.

But Adobe does manage to sell a few copies of its products, now and then.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    One can always use Gimp, for free.

When do you think it will have intelligent spot healing? lol3.gif

Seriously, I don't mind paying for upgrades if I am getting something worthwhile for my money. I am currently on CS3 because I didn't see anything life altering in CS4. I will be paying close attention to the full feature set of CS5, and am hoping that it is accompanied by an ACR update that includes the same promised noise reduction nirvana Adobe is hyping in LR3. We'll see.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    I'm thinking it might be a while yet, Richard.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I am currently on CS3 because I didn't see anything life altering in CS4.

:whew That's a relief...I have CS4...soooo...maybe I can get by until CS6 then! biggrinbounce2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    Richard wrote:

Seriously, I don't mind paying for upgrades if I am getting something worthwhile for my money. I am currently on CS3 because I didn't see anything life altering in CS4. I will be paying close attention to the full feature set of CS5, and am hoping that it is accompanied by an ACR update that includes the same promised noise reduction nirvana Adobe is hyping in LR3. We'll see.

One would think that if Lightroom3 has the advanced noise reduction algorithms, that the equivalent Adobe Camera Raw with CS5 would also get the same benefit. I would certainly hope so.

• Options
    509 Graphics509 Graphics Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2010
    I'm currently using the CS3 Design Premium at home (it was furnished by my school) and I have Photoshop CS2 at work. They've recently given me a chance to start looking into some eLearning Development opportunities so I've purchased Articulate Professional Studio and was planning on picking up the Adobe eLearning Suite, but once I heard CS5 was already in the works thought it might be worth holding out. I'm sure I'll be sticking with CS3 at home for quite a while though.

I just came across this link today, I'm going to try and check out the live web telecast on April 12th to see if they mention a concrete launch date for CS5, otherwise I may just go forward with the CS4 eLearning Suite:
    http://cs5launch.adobe.com/

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    CS5 is a very nice tool. ACR has been improved, so was the Bridge. The PS itself has some nice improvements, too.
    Speed-wise the suite is on par or slightly faster then CS4, and it has way better memory and GPU utilization. From my own experience, the new hardware (64 bit OS with lots of RAM and fast (SSD?) storage) will benefit the most, but it is surprisingly kind to the older one, too. My 5 y.o. Dell XPS Gen3 desktop with XP SP3x86 and only 2Gb of RAM runs it fairly smoothly, but of course CS5 just flies on Win7x64 with 1Gb HPU and 8Gb of RAM.

Can't disclose much of the details at this point, but April 12 is coming up son, and I'm sure they will be all laid wide open on every review site.

One last pointer: get the latest GPU driver mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2010
    Some more details in this article in the Washington Post. Sounds like besides the major stuff we've heard about there are some nice small improvements as well, like a rule of thirds overlay grid when cropping and enhancements to HDR. clap.gif If I don't need a new computer to run it, I think I may upgrade.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I am waiting for my university's OIT store to get it in stock! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2010
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote:

Sure hope the product is better than the video, which doesn't load for me. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Sure hope the product is better than the video, which doesn't load for me. rolleyes1.gif

I'm watching it now....I had to refresh a few times....can't say why????
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I'm watching it now....I had to refresh a few times....can't say why????

Yeah, I can't view anything on Adobe TV on my Mac Pro. Haven't been able to figure out why. Flash in general works OK.

I can see stuff on my laptop but not my Mac Pro. No idea how to resolve this, and I've tried. Believe me, I've tried.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2010
    CatOne wrote:
    Yeah, I can't view anything on Adobe TV on my Mac Pro. Haven't been able to figure out why. Flash in general works OK.

I can see stuff on my laptop but not my Mac Pro. No idea how to resolve this, and I've tried. Believe me, I've tried.
    I just tried it again and this time it worked. The part dealing with Photoshop is pretty brief and didn't contain anything that I hadn't been aware of by now. It looks like a winner if you're running CS3 or earlier; don't know about CS4.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    I'd say WP article is a fairly accurate description of news/updates.
    Improvements in ACR alone are pretty sizeable.
    Performance wise - it runs on my 5y.o. XP SP3 desktop with 2Gb of RAM and 256 GPU with approximately same speed as CS4 did.
    It flies on 1y.o laptop with W7x64 with 8Gb of RAM and 1gb GPU - faster than CS4.
    Most recent news - there is 64 bit version of ACR now, too :-). So those of us who completely transgressed to 64-bit world will finally be able to use 64-bit-only workflow (works great with large-size RAW files:)
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    FL00DYFL00DY Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

My Blog: www.floody82.com
    My Photos: floody82.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    The heck with it..............I just placed a pre-order for CS5.

Sam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Preordered the upgrade from CS4, thanks guys!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Holy upgrade Batman! I beat Andy to a new product!

How many of you can say that..huh....huh!!!!

Now lets see who gets it first.

Sam
  • Options
    surfmonkey89surfmonkey89 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    FWIW, I'm holding off on a CS5 upgrade until the Nik plugins are updated to 64-bit. Working with a mix of 64 and 32-bit stuff can be problematic. For example, when trying to use them with Aperture you have to restart Aperture in 32-bit mode.

Anyway, just a word of warning: PS isn't 64-bit until everything you use with it is 64-bit :D
    Paul
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    hmmm, I preordered the master suite yesterday (since I am currently in college, I got the entire suite for under $900). I look forward to using Photoshop (my main program) and Premiere Pro which will come in very handy since it takes advantage of Nvidia's Cuda architecture. (If it works as good as people say, it will be a game changing program)
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    When do you think it will have intelligent spot healing? lol3.gif

I'm with you, Richard. First look makes me
    :jawdrop
    Stayed with CS3, but keeping my eyes on this upgrade.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Soooo...since I am still on CS do you think it's worth getting CS5? rolleyes1.gif
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Wachel wrote:
    Soooo...since I am still on CS do you think it's worth getting CS5? rolleyes1.gif

The answer should be obvious but there's one thing that's sometimes overlooked. If you are running CS3 on a great machine for the CS3 era then CS5 might overwhelm it. If you have or plan to upgrade your hardware to something current, then the really cool stuff that got added in CS4 and CS5 will stomp all over CS3.